Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you actually like Filler episodes

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    I don't have an official article either but when I talked to a good majority of the English cast while getting my DVDs signed, they all said it was dropped due to it selling poorly.
    Is it me or are a lot of episodic Anime dropped? Conan, SGT Frog, Shin Chan, etc. Anime with story arcs and whatnot are good too but where's the love for the opposite?

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Is it me or are a lot of episodic Anime dropped? Conan, SGT Frog, Shin Chan, etc. Anime with story arcs and whatnot are good too but where's the love for the opposite?
    Like I said, the quality goes down overall. The writers can no longer write something as good as it used to be, the current viewers don't find it fresh and the newer viewers don't see the appeal to it. It's a quality of television programming in general. As for Sgt. Frog, like I said earlier, where Funimation dropped it was stupid, there were many times where the platoon barely managed to stay on Earth Pekopon giving an open end but it would be no better than the show's already open ending. On top of that, the show only starts slumping drastically at around the half way point (plus there was an amazing Death Note parody which I don't know if it's canon or not). Makes you question why Fairy Tail, One Piece, and most importantly the Dragon Ball franchise do so well for Funimation.
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 23rd September 2012 at 4:24 AM.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Like I said, the quality goes down overall. The writers can no longer write something as good as it used to be, the current viewers don't find it fresh and the newer viewers don't see the appeal to it. It's a quality of television programming in general. As for Sgt. Frog, like I said earlier, where Funimation dropped it was stupid, there were many times where the platoon barely managed to stay on Earth.
    True. But I was mostly talking about US releases.

Back on topic: I like how One Piece fillers add to the story. Like with Nami making an earlier appearance than in the Manga. That was a pretty nice touch for what it was worth. The Apis Arc was pretty neat.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

It would depend on the case.
    For example, BLEACH. If they're going to have a filler arc like that new 3rd division captain around episode 180, NO. That thing has the most boring plot ever.
    But if they have one-episode-comedy-based filler, I wouldn't mind as long as the idea isn't too stupid. The series needs a break sometimes.

They have their ups and downs. Fillers killed Naruto and almost ended Bleach. Sometimes their just so irrelevant to the series but seem to last FOREVER. They're especially frustrating when they're anime only fillers. When they're actually written in the Manga of a show (granted the show has one. They usually do) then they're usually better. As long as they stay relatively relevant to current happenings in the story, they can be a good addition. my final point is that if an anime is going to put in fillers, do so in moderation.
    Yellow Team [Currently In Progress]:
    () () . . () . () . . () . . ()
    Justin - Wilfred - Xavier - Tank - Raymundo - Dugtrio

Black 2 Team:
    () () . () . () . () . ()
    Tidas - Hades - Odin - Valdosta - Stark - Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnet View Post
    My final point is that if an anime is going to put in fillers, do so in moderation.
    That or play it safe like anime adaptions of K-ON!! and Bakuman as the show's creators wait a bit for the source material to finish or expand some more before adapting as much as possible and end up creating filler arcs or filler endings in turn. The earlier isn't a good thing either though, Kaiji's first season ended incredibly open, just leaving you wanting more. Luckily, its second season closed up nicely.

It depends. The first FMA series had some really good filler. Though it wasn't really filler, it was just an extreme case of padding the original source material because the series was still fairly fresh when the Anime began. The same thing happened to Blue Exorcist, but they were much, much less successful.

Worst offender of fillers is Naruto without a doubt. Gap between the 1st half and Shippuden? Then there are those crappy fillers in between arcs that were terrible for the most part. Bleach is a close 2nd but its probably temporary as its only 366 episodes vs 400+ episodes with fillers sprinkled in for other series.

When One Piece has Filler its usually very terrible so I'm hopeing that there isn't too much filler on that end. (not that it matters as I have dropped the anime completely) Full Metal Alchemist is probably the best example of an anime with no fillers that comes to mind.

So a show like Lucky Star (or find me a better example) would be 100% filler?
    I was more so referring to series with over-arching plots. Stuff that primarily draws it's viewers in by being a slice of life or gag comedy like Lucky Star instead of using a story doesn't apply. Since there are jokes in each episode there isn't filler. If there's a sequence with someone just sitting in a room reading, that can be considered filler. Same might be said about an episode that follows the exact same events and dialogue as the previous one but with different animation, though some might debate otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirisame Marisa View Post
    It would depend on the case.
    For example, BLEACH. If they're going to have a filler arc like that new 3rd division captain around episode 180, NO. That thing has the most boring plot ever.
    And yet, was still better than what was going on in the series at that point.

That or play it safe like anime adaptions of K-ON!! and Bakuman as the show's creators wait a bit for the source material to finish or expand some more before adapting as much as possible and end up creating filler arcs or filler endings in turn. The earlier isn't a good thing either though, Kaiji's first season ended incredibly open, just leaving you wanting more. Luckily, its second season closed up nicely.
    Much worse is when a series just ASSUMES it's going to have another season. I'm looking at you Korean Zombie Desk Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Same might be said about an episode that follows the exact same events and dialogue as the previous one but with different animation, though some might debate otherwise.
    Are you suggesting an episode is filler if its basically the same as the previous episode, just with a few minor changes to animation and/or dialogue? Does that mean you consider Endless Eight to be filler, even though it followed the source material?
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

To add my own.

Naruto and Bleach has the worst case of this. Whenever there's a serious event going on they just switch it to a normal setting.

The filler arcs in Reborn were okay since it didn't add any anime only characters and it expanded the story of the existing characters of the series.

EDIT: This is from my own experience. Many people thought after the character introduction episodes,It went to filler when it's actually canon.
    Last edited by AceFlonne; 23rd September 2012 at 3:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AceFlonne View Post
    To add my own.

Naruto and Bleach has the worst case of this. Whenever there's a serious event going on they just switch it to a normal setting.

The filler arcs in Reborn were okay since it didn't add any anime only characters and it expanded the story of the existing characters of the series.

EDIT: This is from my own experience. Many people thought after the character introduction episodes,It went to filler when it's actually canon.
    To be honest, It's was called "Daily Life" Arc so it's hard which one of them is filler (if you're not reading the manga) and it was a gag series back then before it went Genre-Shift
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE

Filler episodes are best in revealing the personalities of the characters, but too much can be repetitive

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    Are you suggesting an episode is filler if its basically the same as the previous episode, just with a few minor changes to animation and/or dialogue? Does that mean you consider Endless Eight to be filler, even though it followed the source material?
    Endless Eight was what I was referring to, yes. I said "might" because that's only some people's opinion. I still don't dislike it, though I can get sick of watching it. (I recently ran through season 2 again and went the 1,2,8 route.)

Endless Eight was what I was referring to, yes. I said "might" because that's only some people's opinion. I still don't dislike it, though I can get sick of watching it. (I recently ran through season 2 again and went the 1,2,8 route.)
    Speaking of which, a Youtube commenter put Endless Eight into a new light for me:

"I get why they had the endless 8! They had it so we could FEEL what Yuki went through! If it was just SAID then we wouldn't have a true grasp on the situation at hand. No we had 8 episodes of this wonderful anime to take up our long awaited season 2 be the same thing for sooo long! Now we have an idea of what Yuki went through so we understand it more!"

Another said:

"Looking back on it, Endless Eight was, in my opinion, was a genius move by KyoAni. They made us love them with the first season, hate them with the second, then love them again with the movie, all while generating enormous amounts of (mainly) VIRAL publicity. Sound familiar? The more people talk about something, the more (in)famous that thing becomes, and Endless Eight sure got people talking."

I like it (most of the time); since it makes the series "feel" a bit longer. I don't like it for like Bleach or Naruto because they are quite long lol
    WHITE2: 0906 0589 1140
    X: 0216 0799 9223

Quote Originally Posted by ViperQueen View Post
    I like it (most of the time); since it makes the series "feel" a bit longer. I don't like it for like Bleach or Naruto because they are quite long lol
    Those two I think are the biggest offenders in terms of filler, with Naruto barely edging out Bleach.

The only filler that is good is if it was originally a filler chapter from the manga that is made to be longer (Fairy Tail is a prime example) or is similar in nature to the anime itself (Detective Conan/Case Closed usually involve murder mysteries and the fillers are usually one/two episode mysteries.)
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

I usually find fillers a bit annoying, because (from the shows I've seen) they usually aren't worked into the show that well. In the middle of an intense plot scene, I don't need a few character fillers thrown in.

I think the worst fillers I've seen is during Bleach for the random Kon episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdamanda View Post
    I think the worst fillers I've seen is during Bleach for the random Kon episodes.
    Oh God are those ever bad...

Oh God are those ever bad...
    I can barely stand Kon just as a character, trying to center entire episodes around him...not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdamanda View Post
    I can barely stand Kon just as a character, trying to center entire episodes around him...not so good.
    Rather watch Kampfer, wouldn't you?
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 12th October 2012 at 5:13 AM.

Fillers are the worst... especially when they can make an arc out of them. Bleach and Naruto being the perfect example of this, obviously. When the first filler arc came out for Bleach I wish they replayed any of the first 3 seasons versus me having to watch that crap. Although, I did like the Zanpakutō: The Alternate Tale arc. It was the only one that was interesting to me

I liked the Apis arc of One Piece.

I actually think some fillers are pretty awesome. Like the Naruto Shippuden fillers that ventured off into side stories about the tailed beasts. Despite all of the people who hate fillers, some fillers actually end up having some very nice content

If it's a filler from the Manga, then i'm ok with it, they can be quite good sometimes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast