Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

Default Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

I'll ignore the obvious ones like Brock's flirting or TR's motto, but I'd say some of the others that went on too long:

- James always having a grass pokemon that attacks him. I thought it was kinda cute when Cacnea did it too but by the time Carnivine arrived I was done with it.

- Jigglypuff was heavily overused in the early seasons, to the point where it appeared almost every 2-3 episodes until Johto started.

- Sukizo's "Remarkable" during the Pokemon Contests.

- Pikachu getting sick when it stores up too much electricity, they seriously repeated this in like 5 different episodes, even with Pachirisu.

Nearly everything Team Rocket did in AG and DP. Special mention has to go to Meowth's "Boss Fantasies". It was funny at first, then annoying, and finally just creepy.

Draco meteor

You're such a kid!

It's evaluation time!

Ash getting knocked over by a hyperactive rival.

Misty's mallet

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Nearly everything Team Rocket did in AG and DP. Special mention has to go to Meowth's "Boss Fantasies". It was funny at first, then annoying, and finally just creepy.
    Admittedly I was disappointed that James trademark rose disappeared as the anime progressed. I think we still see it in maybe a few AG or DP episodes, but it was nowhere as common as back in Kanto.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post

You're such a kid!

It's evaluation time!
    First off, those have only been going on for about two years now, hardly too long compared to others.

And secondly, don't you mean "It's TASTING Time!", Cilan's phrase? Evaluation Time is Burgundy's pharse, I think, and she doesn't appear often enough for the gag to be that tired.

A character getting his name mispronounced every time he's mentioned. Botch was pushing it already by late Johto, and then there was Professor Samba and now there's Stephan. It's only funny MAYBE twice an episode. Some of those Don tournaments...yeesh.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulba the Great! View Post
    A character getting his name mispronounced every time he's mentioned. Botch was pushing it already by late Johto, and then there was Professor Samba and now there's Stephan. It's only funny MAYBE twice an episode. Some of those Don tournaments...yeesh.
    Another thing I disliked, but I am sure it was a product of 4kids, is the, "pet names" the main characters called each other.

Ash calling Misty, "Mist," calling Brock, "Brocko," and one episode Misty calls Tracey by, "Trace."

Seriously, it felt like something out of some 10 year olds fanfiction where Ash and Misty would declare their love for one another. Yeesh.

Agreed completely.

It wouldn't be to bad if they didn't shove it down our throats. The Draco network gag made me laugh first time but they overdid it way to much. More recently during the first Club Battle the whole thing with Bianca and Zoura they shoved to much of it into those eps. Running Gags are fine as long as there spaced out more

Banned/Un-aired episodes. The worst running gag of them all.

I thought they were annoying too, but I guess some were a bit creepy as well lol

The Meowth Boss fantasies, Iris' "what a kid" remark. Episodes involving Ash losing his badges,

- TR in general with ALL their running gags
    - Misty pulling brock's ear (unlike croagunk's poison-jab it wasn't funny)
    - piplup alltogether

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Another thing I disliked, but I am sure it was a product of 4kids, is the, "pet names" the main characters called each other.

Ash calling Misty, "Mist," calling Brock, "Brocko," and one episode Misty calls Tracey by, "Trace."

Seriously, it felt like something out of some 10 year olds fanfiction where Ash and Misty would declare their love for one another. Yeesh.

Well they are 10..... honeslty no gag ever got to me
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/343spx0.jpg[/IMG]

All of them except Draco Meteor hitting Piplup and Croagunk poison jabbing Brock.
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    It wouldn't be to bad if they didn't shove it down our throats. The Draco network gag made me laugh first time but they overdid it way to much. More recently during the first Club Battle the whole thing with Bianca and Zoura they shoved to much of it into those eps. Running Gags are fine as long as there spaced out more
    Yeah, I like Brick Jokes (where a past joke is used like it comes back to bite a character in the butt) rather than running ones

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Brock's love gag got annoying in Johto, and throughout AG, but I didn't mind it too much in DP, it did get annoying, but I liked the odd occasion when it went into really good anime drawing details to freshen it up, and Croagunk stabbing Brock, sometimes in funny places on the body freshened it up a bit.
    Team Rocket Blasting off, the names getting pronounced wrong, okay when it started with Butch it was a little funny, but then Prof. Namba and Stephen its not funny at all its annoying. And Iris' "such a kid" really irritates me and I don't find it funny in the slightest.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

I loved the Draco Meteor one. X3

The name gag gets annoying, but it gets funny when people get it right. Though, I liked Stephan better with the accent remark, because now it's just like Botch. :/ I also don't think they should have gave that to Dr. Namba. Like really? It's like they do it on purpose. -.-

James and Carnivine...it was kid of funny at times. But Cacnea was the cutest.

Lol no one thinks of Iris's "mendosukai" just her kid phrase. XD

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

1. Ash Destroying a girl's bike at the start of every sage ( Orange islands/Johto was a nice break)

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

Quote Originally Posted by iraqmaster View Post
    1. Ash Destroying a girl's bike at the start of every sage ( Orange islands/Johto was a nice break)
    only misty actually cared about it.

to the point where ash truly thought she only traveled with him for the one million pokedollars it takes to buy a new one.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the Giovanni fantasies either. Suck a weird and wasteful time slot.

Also Cyber, I thought James uses a rose in the BW TRio motto? A blue one at least.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Just thought ot 3 more.....

1. Dawn's hair problems. Even in her return period in BW, it popped up! As others have actually pointed out, it made the whole reveal of what "DeeDee" meant REALLY underwhelming. We wait for well over 100 episodes past Kenny's debut to find out what it meant and it boils down to....just another hair problem!? Just the same as always but with sparkles!?

2. Wobbuffet. He was actually quite funny in Johto, but in AG and DP, he suffered along with the rest of TR, as his only point was to burst out of nowhere, usually coming close to swallowing the camera, to scream "WOBBUFFET!" (or whatever his pun-name in Japanese is) when the TRio finish talking about a plan, when they finish their motto, and/or when they finish making some lame joke while blasting off. His voice in both languages didn't help, as such overexposure to it made him really grating. I'm so glad BW finally got rid of him.

3. I don't care if this isn't technically a gag, it's so not enjoyable that it may as well count as one that's gone on too long: females of any species falling in love around Ash or WITH Ash, and him being completely oblivious about it. I mean, really, Ash didn't used to be this stupid! He knew what Butterfree wanted when it courted it's mate (unlike with Cottonee in BW). He knew that Melody was flirting with him in the second movie enough to get flustered about it. He knew well enough about love to deny any accusations anyone made that he and Misty had something going on. So why the change? It's especially stupid seeing how long he's been around BROCK, meaning he should be used to knowing about love for the opposite sex!
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 22nd September 2012 at 7:26 PM.

Just thought ot 3 more.....

1. Dawn's hair problems. Even in her return period in BW, it popped up! As others have actually pointed out, it made the whole reveal of what "DeeDee" meant REALLY underwhelming. We wait for well over 100 episodes past Kenny's debut to find out what it meant and it boils down to....just another hair problem!? Just the same as always but with sparkles!?
    Yeah typical girl problems. Oh Dawn you blonde.
    I have to admit I'm like that with my hair though. ):

Quote Originally Posted by the1stpkmnfan View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the Giovanni fantasies either. Suck a weird and wasteful time slot..
    Those were actually pretty enjoyable, especially Meowth fantasizing about Giovanni in his boxers.

The only boss fantasies I liked were the ones where Jessie and James didn't agree with Meowth's ideas but were like "Screw it, let's just catch it anyway"

After awhile the Boss fantasies started to scare me. The most annoying running gags IMO are "You're such a kid!" and all of TRio's stuff.
    I'll put something here...eventually

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast