Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 135

Thread: Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    So why the change?
    He's gay, bro. Personally, I think we dodged a pretty major bullet with the writers choosing to completely almost completely ignore the shipping angle. Pokemon just isn't that kind of anime, and I like it better that way. Sometimes I think blanant shipping just completely ruins an anime.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    He's gay, bro. Personally, I think we dodged a pretty major bullet with the writers choosing to completely almost completely ignore the shipping angle. Pokemon just isn't that kind of anime, and I like it better that way. Sometimes I think blanant shipping just completely ruins an anime.
    Nah. It not that shipping ruins animes, it's just that a lot of writers divert so much of their attention away from actually telling the damn story and making the plot interesting that it makes the anime (or any sort of media entertainment overall) suffer in terms of quality. That attention is often stolen by stuff such as shipping, comedy, merchandise advertising, characters that steal a lot of the fanbase (glares at Piplup), and so much more that it would take too much time and space to mention them all.

    People just can't control themselves when they have a good thing. Why do you think some people hate metagaming?

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,507

    Default

    Romantic plot tumors ahoy!

    or is it shipping bed death .

    eh either way

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    He's gay, bro. Personally, I think we dodged a pretty major bullet with the writers choosing to completely almost completely ignore the shipping angle. Pokemon just isn't that kind of anime, and I like it better that way. Sometimes I think blanant shipping just completely ruins an anime.
    True but I'm kinda bugged by the inconsistency (amongst others...).

    You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    306

    Default

    - Brock's flirting.

    - Brock getting his ear pulled/Croagunk attacking him.

    - Any of James' pokemon jumping on his face. Not just his grass pokemon but also Chimecho.

    - A pokemon who will often jump out of its pokeball whenever they choose to. Misty's Psyduck in Kanto and Johto, Jessie's Wobbuffet in Johto and Hoenn, Brock's Croagunk in Sinnoh, and now Ash's Oshawott in Unova.


    - Sukizo's "Remarkable" during the Pokemon Contests.
    Agreed.

    A character getting his name mispronounced every time he's mentioned.
    Agreed.



  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    1. Dawn's hair problems. Even in her return period in BW, it popped up! As others have actually pointed out, it made the whole reveal of what "DeeDee" meant REALLY underwhelming. We wait for well over 100 episodes past Kenny's debut to find out what it meant and it boils down to....just another hair problem!? Just the same as always but with sparkles!?
    I think that sort of shows how important Dawn's hair is to her. xDD

    So why the change? It's especially stupid seeing how long he's been around BROCK, meaning he should be used to knowing about love for the opposite sex!
    He probably got sick of it. xD


    “...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Tbh, Meowth's Giovanni fantasies scared me sometimes.
    Also Brock's ear pulling and flirting.
    Credit goes to Mew_ for this awesome banner ♥

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The United States of America
    Posts
    72

    Default

    1. Any Character's signature phrase, especially irrelevant ones. par example: "Spotlight" (I know, they're going into a spotlight, but it was just so awkward sounding), "You're such a kid" (we get it, his character gets reset to TEN YEARS OLD every generation. Yes, he actually IS a kid), any of Cilan's lines (I'm sorry, but Pokemon Connoissuer was a potentially good idea gone terribly awry), etc.

    2. Team Rocket. Like it or not, they as a whole are a running gag. I know every series needs an antagonist to drive the plot, but how relevant are they, really. Since first gen, Unova is really the first time that they've broken away from their over-done "Steal Pikachu or possibly some other Pokemon" and actually acted as Antagonists. I personally would have settled for new, more important people. I liked the inclusion of Hunter J, it was refreshing to have a new antagonist.

    3. Piplup. I could not stand that thing. Enough Said
    -3.5 Along that same line, Oshawott. Ash has enough experience to just evolve his Pokemon. Instead it stays at a pipsqueak fawning for his attention. I get it, he's a good marketing tool. Call me stupid, but content should take priority over marketing. That's what i appreciated about Sinnoh. He evolved Starly to Staraptor, Chimchar to Infernape, Gligar to Gliscor, and Turtwig to Torterra. Gible wasn't given proper time and Buizel, well, it was a wildcard. It was a powerful Pokemon, something we can't say about most of those he won't evolve. Above all, I want his Pokemon to grow and mature with him. But what should I expect, he doesn't grow up or mature anymore.

    4. Pikachu being reset every region. Not really a running gag, but irritates meI know we can't have it be all powerful, but why does Ash's rival always have to be a new trainer? I liked Paul because he had a lot of experience under his belt. Granted Pikachu was reset and Paul kind of acted like he was starting over, But I like to think he would've given Ash a run regardless.
    -4.5 Ash getting Reset. Not a running gag either. I know they do it for the age group it's intended for, but why not just create a new hero. He's barely Ash Ketchum anymore, you guys.
    Yellow Team [Currently In Progress]:
    () () . . () . () . . () . . ()
    Justin - Wilfred - Xavier - Tank - Raymundo - Dugtrio

    Black 2 Team:
    () () . () . () . () . ()
    Tidas - Hades - Odin - Valdosta - Stark - Oscar

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnet View Post
    1. Any Character's signature phrase, especially irrelevant ones. par example: "Spotlight" (I know, they're going into a spotlight, but it was just so awkward sounding), "You're such a kid" (we get it, his character gets reset to TEN YEARS OLD every generation. Yes, he actually IS a kid), any of Cilan's lines (I'm sorry, but Pokemon Connoissuer was a potentially good idea gone terribly awry), etc.
    Really though, Spotlight and Dento's lines aren't running gags. "Such a Kid" can be considered one because it's meant to be funny, but Spotlight (JP. Charm Up!) certainly wasn't (neither was Stage On, or Standby). As for Dento's lines, same thing-- they aren't meant to be funny--the funny part is Ash's confusion, or Iris's "What a pain."

    For Dawn, I'd say her running gag would be: "No need to worry"


    “...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dragon Village
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Really though, Spotlight and Dento's lines aren't running gags. "Such a Kid" can be considered one because it's meant to be funny, but Spotlight (JP. Charm Up!) certainly wasn't (neither was Stage On, or Standby). As for Dento's lines, same thing-- they aren't meant to be funny--the funny part is Ash's confusion, or Iris's "What a pain."

    For Dawn, I'd say her running gag would be: "No need to worry"
    You're splitting hairs a bit here, especially considering you classify "No need to worry" but not "Spotlight." Don't know what you mean about Cilan, that's not for humor? If you consider one catch phrase a running gag then you have to consider the others as well.

    (credit goes to Skiyomi)

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,607

    Default

    None of them annoyed me. I liked them all, but when James got 'attacked' by his Grass Pokemon, I liked when Victreebel did it, Carnivine wasn't too funny.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    M$
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Team Rocket has been around too long. I loved them back in Kanto, but everytime I see them now, I have to skip through their parts.

    I've liked all of the Pokegirls but they all did some things that annoyed me: Iris's "You're such a kid," Dawn's "No need to worry" and "Spotlight" I hated the way her voice sounded when she said the latter, and May's crying.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    Team Rocket has been around too long. I loved them back in Kanto, but everytime I see them now, I have to skip through their parts.

    I've liked all of the Pokegirls but they all did some things that annoyed me: Iris's "You're such a kid," Dawn's "No need to worry" and "Spotlight" I hated the way her voice sounded when she said the latter, and May's crying.
    May cried what...maybe 3 times? All the other characters cried just as much.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    M$
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    May cried what...maybe 3 times? All the other characters cried just as much.
    She definitely cried way more than 3 times. I remember seeing a video on yt ages ago, titled "May's top ten tears" and I watched it and it showed the different moments when she cried. And since those were only the top ten, there had to be more.
    Last edited by vespiqueen; 23rd September 2012 at 3:58 AM.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    She definitely cried way more than 3 times. I remember seeing a video on yt ages ago, titled "May's top ten tears" and I watched it and showed the different moments when she cried. And since those were only the top ten, there had to be more.
    If you're speaking of pokemon goodbyes in the movies everyone does. Ash and Dawn burst out crying in Movie 10 when Darkrai disappears during the climax.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    M$
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    If you're speaking of pokemon goodbyes in the movies everyone does. Ash and Dawn burst out crying in Movie 10 when Darkrai disappears during the climax.
    Where did you even get that from?
    I haven't said anything about Pokemon goodbyes, nor did I say the other characters didn't cry. I'm saying that May cried a lot during her time in the series, more than any of the other characters.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    Where did you even get that from?
    I haven't said anything about Pokemon goodbyes, nor did I say the other characters didn't cry. I'm saying that May cried a lot during her time in the series, more than any of the other characters.
    Is the video still on YouTube?

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    M$
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Is the video still on YouTube?
    Just checked youtube, and no. I'm not surprised though, it probably went against copyright laws and it came out so long ago, I think around the beginning of DP.

    It seemed like a popular video, does anyone else remember it?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,061

    Default

    I don't engage in the "fandom" side of Pokemon AMV's, fanart or fanfiction....I just stay on the forums.

    Sometimes I take a peek but I'm quickly turned off by all the 12 year old girls arguing over which Pokemon girl was the best and which one sucked. So sad that the younger fanbase is still fighting over the main girls. How do you deal with it?

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    M$
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I don't engage in the "fandom" side of Pokemon AMV's, fanart or fanfiction....I just stay on the forums.

    Sometimes I take a peek but I'm quickly turned off by all the 12 year old girls arguing over which Pokemon girl was the best and which one sucked. So sad that the younger fanbase is still fighting over the main girls. How do you deal with it?
    I'm not in the fandom side either..I was watching random clips of Pokemon that day and I saw it on the side with a lot of views. I try to occasionally post in shipping discussions but I never can keep up. I don't fight over which main girl is the best either, because I like all of them

    ----


    And to stay on topic, I forgot to mention how much Piplup annoyed me. It always got too much attention and that voice was just...:/

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Team Rocket suffered the most from the voice actor change, while eventually I warmed up to everyone else, Eric Stuart's portrayal of James really carried the humor.

    I thought Dawn's whole Dee Dee thing was kind of stupid, like really? That's the name that got to you?

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RVD_fan View Post
    Team Rocket suffered the most from the voice actor change, while eventually I warmed up to everyone else, Eric Stuart's portrayal of James really carried the humor.

    I thought Dawn's whole Dee Dee thing was kind of stupid, like really? That's the name that got to you?
    In Japanese it was Pikari.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RVD_fan View Post
    Team Rocket suffered the most from the voice actor change, while eventually I warmed up to everyone else, Eric Stuart's portrayal of James really carried the humor.

    I thought Dawn's whole Dee Dee thing was kind of stupid, like really? That's the name that got to you?
    That event was horrifically traumatic to her. Imagine what if Misty was covered under a pile of caterpies or something and instead of helping her sisters just laughed and teased her with a silly nickname? caterpies are pretty much completely nonlethal but it still would be traumatic.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnet View Post
    1. Any Character's signature phrase, especially irrelevant ones. par example: "Spotlight" (I know, they're going into a spotlight, but it was just so awkward sounding)...
    Dawn saying "spotlight" was like a special thing she said to get a certain pokemon ready. It is similar to when Ash used "_____, I choose you" (ie. "Bulbasaur, I choose you"). Misty at one time use to say "Misty calls _____" and Brock had "_____, go".



  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rovian View Post
    Dawn saying "spotlight" was like a special thing she said to get a certain pokemon ready. It is similar to when Ash used "_____, I choose you" (ie. "Bulbasaur, I choose you"). Misty at one time use to say "Misty calls _____" and Brock had "_____, go".
    Oh how I miss "Misty calls".

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •