Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKurama View Post
    Oh how I miss "Misty calls".
    I don't even remember Misty saying that outside very early Kanto. I am pretty sure she didn't say that after late Kanto or beyond.

Same thing with Misty's mallet. People act like Misty was always hitting people over the head with mallets? WTF? This happened maybe a grand total of 3-4 times in very early Kanto and never happened again for the rest of her run.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I don't even remember Misty saying that outside very early Kanto. I am pretty sure she didn't say that after late Kanto or beyond.

Same thing with Misty's mallet. People act like Misty was always hitting people over the head with mallets? WTF? This happened maybe a grand total of 3-4 times in very early Kanto and never happened again for the rest of her run.
    She didn't say it much. And I agree with you on the mallet, it didn't happen that much, it only happened early in Kanto, and then it was never seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKurama View Post
    She didn't say it much. And I agree with you on the mallet, it didn't happen that much, it only happened early in Kanto, and then it was never seen again.
    If you recall Jessie had a paper fan she used to whack James and Meowth on the head with too...that also disappeared early on.

If you recall Jessie had a paper fan she used to whack James and Meowth on the head with too...that also disappeared early on.
    Did it have the 'R' rocket symbol on it? If so, I know what you're talking about.

Other running gags were the Beedrill swarms, the Gyarados attacks, the Ursaring rampaging in forests, all those damn wild Onix that appear every saga, etc.

i personally thought sukizo remarkable thing to be pretty funny. sure it got old but it never really annoyed me

I don't know where to began, but this three deserved my attention.

-Definitely Meowth boss fantasies. It was cute and funny in start when it was fresh and new, but that concept imo got overused by mid Hoenn to the point of ad nauseum. Not top mention they eventually became unoriginal with writers clearly starting to run out of good ideas.

-TR blasting offs. That's one of main reasons i appreciated change in BW becoming more competent using jet packs and other means to escape. Ad most of time it was same old repetitive scenery. TR steals pokemon, food or something else. They send out pokemon which quickly get destroyed by Ash and co with Pikachu in 90 %of cases finishing them of with thunder blasting away. Running gags can be funny and appreciated when there exists gaps between them having occasional use, but there is thing called being excessive.

-Brock pulled by ear almost every time he flirted around girls. In Johto it was new, it was fresh and in some instances Misty done it in very unique and subtle way being amusing to watch not staying always on typical gag too. But when Max took that role getting idea from Misty(what an irony), my God it was downright terrible. It wasn't funny, it was just downright annoying.
    Thankfully writers scrapped this idea altogether in Sinnoh, with Croagunk developing completely new approach in controlling Brock out bursts of hormons when meeting girls. Which was sometimes downright amazing.

May cried what...maybe 3 times? All the other characters cried just as much.
    Eh she is right, May cried little more than other girls.

Sometimes I take a peek but I'm quickly turned off by all the 12 year old girls arguing over which Pokemon girl was the best and which one sucked. So sad that the younger fanbase is still fighting over the main girls. How do you deal with it?
    Sad thing is even teens and adults argue over this.

Well according to bullbapedia in Japanese version she often said "go my steady"when throwing pokeball.

You would be surprised how many people i met who thought Misty still used mallet in OI and Johto. I can't honestly remember she used it in any of this episodes(if im mistaken correct me). She at most used backpack swinging with it sometimes or wooden stick to chase away bugs, and i remember she as host for Weekly Pokemon Broadcasting station(i believe it was for chronicles) used water blaster against Brock but that's about it.

Mallets both Misty and Jessies pretty much left screen by end of Kanto.

not a GAG per se but......serious team rocket.......here we have the main villains of the series who have essentially been downgraded to recurring minor characters until recently.......seriously.....IT'S OLD! also "you're such a kid!" it was funny the first time.....but now she's just being a you-know-what about it.........

One of the main reasons DP was so long, was because of TR's gag of must catch Pikachu! They fail, next catch Pikachu again even though we just failed at it.
    Any bull**** Brock pulled with his obsession for girls.
    I actually thought the Draco Meteor gag was pretty funny.
    Meowth's fantasizes, cool at the start, as we got to late Johto, early Hoenn. -__-
    Everytime James would catch a grass type they would somehow attack him. Whether it's gradutude or hatred.

I can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned by everyone else.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

Another one: Dawn getting webbed up by an Ariados. Seriously, do the animators have a fetish for this?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    Team Rocket has been around too long.
    Well, it's lucky that they're leaving in two weeks, isn't it? XD

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    That event was horrifically traumatic to her.
    You're KIDDING, right? It just messed up her hair, like it always gets messed up, and made it sparkle. Dawn wasn't even "traumatized" after it happened; just a little dazed. She even held Plusle and Minun and sat back in class like normal. It was only when her classmates started to laugh at her hair and call her Diamond Dandruff, making her cry, that she suddenly decided that it was a trauma that justified a phobia of Plusle and Minun. Oh, give me a freaking break......Like I said before, that entire "DeeDee" plotline was stupid as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by fubufubu View Post
    not a GAG per se but......serious team rocket.......here we have the main villains of the series who have essentially been downgraded to recurring minor characters until recently.......seriously.....IT'S OLD!
    OK, now YOU definately must be kidding.

You're saying serious TR, which has been around for just two years and isn't a gag, is "old", yet goofy, incompetant TR which has lasted for about a decade and actually DOES qualify as a running gag is not? And downgraded from "main villains"? PAHAHAHAHA, no. Team Rocket were NOT real villains, let alone main ones, until this "downgrade". They were gag characters claiming to be villains, who never posed any serious threat, who were shoehorned in to every episode for the sake of it, not because it affected the plot in any way. That's the benefit of them appearing alot less in BW; not only does it let episodes go uninterrupted by their shtick, but it also means the appearances they DO make are actually important.
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 23rd September 2012 at 7:20 PM.

Yeah, the 'pronouncing Stephan's name wrong' thing is extremely annoying.

James's Pokemon attacking him.

I actually like evaluation time, I find it kind of funny.

Brock's flirting wasn't really a gag, but more of just his trademark. It kind of made his character.
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    Brock's flirting wasn't really a gag, but more of just his trademark. It kind of made his character.
    The proper term is flanderization.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    Just checked youtube, and no. I'm not surprised though, it probably went against copyright laws and it came out so long ago, I think around the beginning of DP.

It seemed like a popular video, does anyone else remember it?
    I do! That was one of my favorited videos. It's just too bad that the video is now gone. I would remake it if I could.

Also, I tend to think that running gags don't always have to be funny. They're just recurring factors that come into play more than once. I think the "gag" of it generally is to use it in funny moments. Not much like the element itself (by element I mean a "spoken line" or action). Catchphrases on the other hand may be tricky to point out. I consider "Spotlight!" as such. Same with "Such A Little Kid" and "It's ____ Time!". I agree that the similar reactions to Cilan's line is a running gag.
    Last edited by the1stpkmnfan; 23rd September 2012 at 10:35 PM.

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

- Pikachu getting sick when it stores up too much electricity, they seriously repeated this in like 5 different episodes, even with Pachirisu.
    I think this one actually makes sense, so I wouldn't say it's a running gag, unless it was played for comedy.

Outside of Meowth's creepy boss fantasies, and possibly Butch's name getting botched (if they had gotten more clever retorts, I don't think it'd be an issue), I can't really think of any. I don't think Jessie has had a lot of rampages over her hair since the Seviper she caught tore her hair out, so I guess that doesn't really count. Again, this could be because I stopped following the show once it switched over to cable, so... *shrugs*
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Misty pulling Brock's ear, Misty's mallet, Brock falling in love with every pretty girl he sees, Jame's Victreebel attacking him everytime he calls on it, Jessie's Wobbuffet coming out of it's pokeball, Meowth's boss fantasy's. And destroying 3 girls bikes was ridic.

AAAHHH IT'S JIGGLYPUFF

Please, don't sing!!!

*jigglypuff competely ignores them and sings its horrible song anyway*

*they fall asleep*

*jigglypuff draws on them*

Hey your face looks funny!

Yours too!

I can see why they got rid of Jigglypuff...

Black 2 FC: 1936 8543 0835
    Most of the time I will trade with Black 2.

[IMG]http://oi50.*******.com/rh4eme.jpg[/IMG]

Spoiler:- Challenges:

Put this in your signature if you think Ruby and Sapphire deserve remakes (started by Flare 64)

Japanese White 2 Team: *

English Black 2 Team: *

*MVP

only gags i never really minded were:
    - Brock's love antics -> just seeing croagunk's epic poison-jabs almost made it enjoyable.
    - butch's name being miss-pronounced (just to see what name they'd come up with)
    - gible's draco meteor (just cause piplup getting nuked made me feel tingly inside)

I do think the Boss Fantasies were run into the ground long before they stopped doing them, though they were fun to watch, especially the crazier ones. The James grass pokemon gags were kind of run into the ground too, but I mostly feel that because I didn't like Carnivine as much as Victreebel or Cacnea. I would have liked them to continue it with a maractus, but after this season's maractus episode I'm glad they didn't. And I'd wish they'd quit the gag with Ash not being interested in girls yet. Get him a one-episode or ongoing crush already, it's been 14 years since he looked twice at a girl!

All other gags, though, I've loved. Wobbuffet's gags, Psyduck's gags, and Brock's gag never got old for me. And I love the ongoing thing with Cilan declaring himself a connoisseur of something new every once in a while, and Iris getting annoyed.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 11/10 NEW!! 11/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    First off, those have only been going on for about two years now, hardly too long compared to others.

And secondly, don't you mean "It's TASTING Time!", Cilan's phrase? Evaluation Time is Burgundy's pharse, I think, and she doesn't appear often enough for the gag to be that tired.
    First off, many people find Iris' phrase irritating.

And secondly, Tasting Time is Dent's phrase in the raw, and Evaluation Time is Cilan's phrase in the dub.

Burgundy's phrases are "New Tasting Time" and "Re-Evaluation time".

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    Yeah, the 'pronouncing Stephan's name wrong' thing is extremely annoying.
    Oh god this. Actually, it was annoying with Namba and Butch as well. The only time is was somewhat funny was with Hippopotas.

The running gag of seeing Cassidy and Butch getting portrayed as idiots. Ever since the Chronicles series, their formerly-impressive competence as Rockets has drastically plummeted.
    Gen1 Pokedex: 151/151
    Gen2 Pokedex: 251/251
    Gen3 Pokedex: 386/386
    Gen4 Pokedex: 493/493
    Gen5 Pokedex: 649/649

Quote Originally Posted by ricedonut View Post
    AAAHHH IT'S JIGGLYPUFF

Please, don't sing!!!

*jigglypuff competely ignores them and sings its horrible song anyway*

*they fall asleep*

*jigglypuff draws on them*

Hey your face looks funny!

Yours too!

I can see why they got rid of Jigglypuff...
    Now you're making me remember having Jigglypuff around. Poor thing.

But all in all flirting gags, rather if it's from people or pokemon is getting real old and needs to stop. Annoying girl puns and Cilan's gag is enough for me. It's unneccessary.

Poor Stephan has it worse.

My ideal battle ever!

Team Rocket

Brock's poetry

Everything else I either didn't/don't mind or actually kind of like.

"You're such a kid!"

Shut up Iris!

Can I use this for Running Gags I wanted to go further?

-Iris's "Sixth Sense" and getting them lost (and Dento being all "-_- Being unscientific again")
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

-James' Pokemon biting his head
    -Pronouncing Butch's name wrong
    They annoy me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast