Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

I am not sure if it counts, but all those scenes with Dawn squatting down, tripping over, with the writers purposely putting one leg in front of her undergarments so you wouldn't see anything.

Seriously, what is the point of that fanservice? Even at Maylene's Gym during the cheerleader scene, she lifts her legs so high to kick that she puts the pom poms quickly in place afterward.

Pokemon is obviously NOT that kind of anime, so I don't understand why the writers tried alluding to it. Its almost as if the writers worked with Dawn's, "magic skirt" as best they could.

mr sukizo's "remarkable" was funny at first, but after the 10th time, it started to get really annoying.
    emolgas attitude
    BW using the move "attract" way too many times
    it would ahve been nice if team rocket didnt blast off in the last DP episode
    Happiny is awesome

Bands and artists I like at the moment:
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Boards Of Canada
    The Beatles
    Bjork
    Aphex Twin
    Nine Inch Nails
    Vampire Weekend
    Lady Gaga
    Gorillaz
    Brian Eno
    Coldplay

Personally i've only ever got fed up with Wobbuffet's random pop ups and the majority of Piplup's antics.. Other than those, no gags have ever really bothered me that much. I've even grown to be tolerant of Oshawott since his appearances and stupidity died down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I am not sure if it counts, but all those scenes with Dawn squatting down, tripping over, with the writers purposely putting one leg in front of her undergarments so you wouldn't see anything.

Seriously, what is the point of that fanservice? Even at Maylene's Gym during the cheerleader scene, she lifts her legs so high to kick that she puts the pom poms quickly in place afterward.

Pokemon is obviously NOT that kind of anime, so I don't understand why the writers tried alluding to it. Its almost as if the writers worked with Dawn's, "magic skirt" as best they could.
    Or possibly, the more perverted fans out there just over-thought things and the reason they kept hiding everything was simply because.. and here's the kicker.. it's a KIDS show.

Of all the running gags that exist, you zero in on this?

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Of all the running gags that exist, you zero in on this?
    Of course. CyberCubed analyzes everything, including dumb crap like that. How else is one supposed to spite specific fanboys?

Team Rocket were an icon of the anime, and is surely the most remembered part of the show outside of the fanbase, and as funny as they were in Season 1, they quickly started to deteriorate soon after. My problem was that they didn't have enough variety. It was always; TR captures Pikachu/Pokemon of the day, Ash whines about them getting Pikachu, TR sends out Arbok & Weezing, something happens to mess up TR's plan, Pikachu gets free, Ash is happy and acts like Pikachu's life was in extreme danger, Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on TR, TR blasts off with a *ding*.

Unfortunately, the writers chose not to do anything new with the trio. Heck, they even captured Lickitung & Victreebel only halfway through Season 1, yet didn't bother to use them AT ALL until the Orange Islands. Victreebel was lucky to get two quick cameo's during the Indigo Plateu League and Lickitung only was mentioned in dialogue.

By the Saga in Hoenn, they had finally tried new things, but it was too little, too late at that point. I liked that Wobuffet pretty much became an unofficial 4th member of the team (it didn't deserve the abuse it got in Johto!), and releasing Arbok and Weezing was a good idea.

So yeah, TR was a too long running gag that thankfully got a complete rewrite when Unova started. Looking forward to the future!
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

Team Rocket's gags were making me sick. I mean all of them. This is why the less they appear the better the show is.

My ideal battle ever!

-whenever James yells "EEEEEEEEEEEE"

-whenever Ash and friends say something in unison (It annoys me whenever any show does this, but I know Pokémon does it too)

-the Pokémon League's "ash meets someone, ash becomes friends with said someone, ash and said someone end up being 'randomly' chosen to fight each other, Ash loses to said someone, then said someone loses" pattern. I was SOO glad to see at least a little change in the Sinnoh league (the legendary Pokémon spammer winning the league instead of him losing to someone else, though the rest of the pattern stayed intact in one way or another)

-Ash and friends being surprised that a Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny looks the same as the others

-Ash and friends not recognizing TR, even if the only disguise they are wearing is almost just a "I'm not Team Rocket" sticker.

Team Rocket's old shenanigans. Every darn episode, it really got old to the point I would skip that part. BW is a breath of fresh air.

Agreed, Team Rocket failing so badly with their outlandish plans got old before Johto ended.

I honestly never noticed it.

One think that erked me was making TR so weak in battles for all those years.

I agree with what people have said so far with Team Rocket being the biggest running gag gone stale. It got boring pretty quickly all the stuff they did and it's disappointing because they started off as interesting characters. One gag I found really annoying was during kanto johto and they would use giant robots to battle Ash and got beat every time. Honestly if I wanted to see giant robots I would watch power rangers or gundam wing :P

I haven't looked at every single post, so this may have been said already, but Brock's constant hitting on girls to be stopped by Misty or Croagunk. I loved Brock, he was great, but still...
    pkmnbeige.webs.com, the only place to read "Pokémon Beige"

"The Forest" is under development! Download "The Beginning - Part Two" here

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    Team Rocket were an icon of the anime, and is surely the most remembered part of the show outside of the fanbase, and as funny as they were in Season 1, they quickly started to deteriorate soon after. My problem was that they didn't have enough variety. It was always; TR captures Pikachu/Pokemon of the day, Ash whines about them getting Pikachu, TR sends out Arbok & Weezing, something happens to mess up TR's plan, Pikachu gets free, Ash is happy and acts like Pikachu's life was in extreme danger, Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on TR, TR blasts off with a *ding*.

Unfortunately, the writers chose not to do anything new with the trio.
    Japan apparently loves those kinds of villains: the three-member team (usually led by a woman) of incompetent crooks who can't do anything right yet continue to appear in every episode. Time Bokan started that trend, Yatterman made it popular, and it's worked its way into many Japanese-made shows and video-games ever since.
    Gen1 Pokedex: 151/151
    Gen2 Pokedex: 251/251
    Gen3 Pokedex: 386/386
    Gen4 Pokedex: 493/493
    Gen5 Pokedex: 649/649

Quote Originally Posted by PKMNBeige View Post
    I haven't looked at every single post, so this may have been said already, but Brock's constant hitting on girls to be stopped by Misty. I loved Brock, he was great, but still...
    I thought that was cute tho.

- Iris calling Ash a kid, that's a big one there
    - Brock flirting only to be stopped by Misty/Max/Croagunk.
    - Draco Meteor hitting Piplup
    - "REMARKABLE!" shut the fuck up dude
    - whenever Ash and friends say something in unison
    - Cilan flailing around and screaming IT IS EVALUATING TIME
    Last edited by BurningSociety12345543210; 24th October 2012 at 4:11 PM.

Brock never finding love. It was funny the first few generations. But I somehow feel sorry for the guy lol

The repetitive of OS-DP
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/21r0gk.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    Sometimes I think blanant shipping just completely ruins an anime.
    Like "The Legend of Korra"

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Sayho1234 View Post
    Like "The Legend of Korra"
    I'm watching you
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/21r0gk.png[/IMG]

Does it matter? I and some people like them and it's not like they take 5 minutes.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    Does it matter? I and some people like them and it's not like they take 5 minutes.
    Team rocket. good riddance.

The latest gags that have really annoyed me were Iris saying "Such a kid" (SHUT UP) and the mispronunciation of Stephan's name. The last one is really bad, I don't think I can re-watch the second tournament arc again due to how overused it was.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Team rocket. good riddance.
    Team Rocket is not gone, and will never go! POKEMON FOR EVER!

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    Team Rocket is not gone, and will never go! POKEMON FOR EVER!

Dude, TR died the moment they came into Johto.

In fact, Johto's my least favorite region of the anime. Seriously.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast