Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Running gags in the anime that went on for far too long

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoCoke View Post
    Dude, TR died the moment they came into Johto.

In fact, Johto's my least favorite region of the anime. Seriously.
    If they died, why are they still on the show? I like all aspects and everything of Pokemon, like a true Pokemon fan.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

The thing about running gags is by their very nature, they're all considered funny to some and overused to others. But consider this; isn't a joke more amusing when accompanied by an illustration? When it comes down to it, gags involving actions in addition to words seem to hold more water. "Team Rocket's blasting off again" wasn't merely a phrase, it was the trio physically flying off in a comical fashion. When Brock went crazy over a girl, the witty and corny dialogue was always followed by physical intervention. Even Butch and Stephan's name joke boils down to Butch blowing a fuse vs Stephan awkwardly complaining. It all comes down to that old saying "actions speak louder than words". It holds true in tv shows just as much in real life.
    Last edited by Bluelatios*; 24th October 2012 at 7:01 PM.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Another thing I disliked, but I am sure it was a product of 4kids, is the, "pet names" the main characters called each other.

Ash calling Misty, "Mist," calling Brock, "Brocko," and one episode Misty calls Tracey by, "Trace."

Seriously, it felt like something out of some 10 year olds fanfiction where Ash and Misty would declare their love for one another. Yeesh.
    I remember TPCi reusing those names quite a lot, particularly 'Brocko.' One of the few things I disliked the 4Kids dub for, other than Pokeshipping constantly (although it's more than likely the case anyway). I am not above saying the 4Kids dub definitely had some weak points, but TPCi's are far more widespread and obvious than the ones from 4Kids are/were IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    The thing about running gags is by their very nature, they're all considered funny to some and overused to others. But consider this; isn't a joke more amusing when accompanied by an illustration? When it comes down to it, gags involving actions in addition to words seem to hold more water. "Team Rocket's blasting off again" wasn't merely a phrase, it was the trio physically flying off in a comical fashion. When Brock went crazy over a girl, the witty and corny dialogue was always followed by physical intervention. Even Butch and Stephan's name joke boils down to Butch blowing a fuse vs Stephan awkwardly complaining. It all comes down to that old saying "actions speak louder than words". It holds true in tv shows just as much in real life.
    Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    If they died, why are they still on the show? I like all aspects and everything of Pokemon, like a true Pokemon fan.
    I thought TRio was better in Hoenn than Johto (though those were the high points of TRio's comedy fest to me, and I'd love that wacky comedy they had going from middle OS-late AG. The laughs only escalate from Johto, which was also hilarious IMO. Sinnoh was alright, and Unova's made TR victims of a 5 second *cues dramatic music* We're here, and we're gone *ends dramatic music.* Obviously the "badassness" TRio has is now just a ploy to get them off the anime like Brock. Personally, I would love to see TR leave. I can't stand their current dub voices anyway right now (it's glaringly obvious how terrible they are at pulling off serious TRio when watching the BW dub-- especially Mr. Cathcart/Zoppi's Meowth and James-- he was tolerable in BF/DP but now he's atrocious at the roles), so that would be awesome to me if Gen V gives them the boot.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 24th October 2012 at 7:14 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Brock's running gags only became bad because he was there for so long. 600 episodes is a lot of time for the same crap.

I also felt Wobbufett was an overused running gag during mid/late Johto, but they toned him down once Hoenn started.

I don't know if it's a gag, but whenever the characters agree on something, they say "right". It's always been in the anime and I've always found it annoying.

Pokemon popping out of their poke balls when they aren't wanted! (Psyduck, wobbufet, oshawott) and the "abused fire type starter ash always encounters. Fire type are supposed to be badasses!
    To always have confidence, to always believe, to always be ready and willing. This is what it means to be... Serperior.

My Heartgold team:

Quote Originally Posted by Serperiority View Post
    and the "abused fire type starter ash always encounters. Fire type are supposed to be badasses!
    That's not even a running gag though.

1. Iris's "You're such a kid!"
    2. Cilan's cooking references and "EVALUATION TIME!"
    3. Georgia the Dragon buster annoys me for no reason, her presence just irritates me!
    So, I herd u liek mudkipz

Quote Originally Posted by Mightyena97 View Post
    3. Georgia the Dragon buster annoys me for no reason, her presence just irritates me!
    It irritates me as well, but for multiple different reasons.

Team Rocket's blasting off lost me back in IS, so I'm glad that stopped.

My ideal battle ever!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456