Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Fanfiction Awards - planning thread

Huh, I was going to suggest a "best side games based fic" category to temper the PMD debate but then I saw that there wasn't a "game based fic" category to begin with. For some reason I thought there was. Didn't there used to be? Because I was also going to suggest a manga-based category...

Man I'd better work on Obsession if I'm going to qualify for this year's awards. Can't believe it's been over a year since I put out a chapter.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    Huh, I was going to suggest a "best side games based fic" category to temper the PMD debate but then I saw that there wasn't a "game based fic" category to begin with. For some reason I thought there was. Didn't there used to be? Because I was also going to suggest a manga-based category...
    Game-Based Fics, huh?

I'm kind of intrigued by that idea, actually. I don't personally remember it existing before, but don't quote me on that.

So what do you guys think, is "Best Game-Based Fic" a good one?

Regarding the "Best Manga-Based Fic" category... I like the idea, but is there really enough activity with manga-based fics to justify it? I might just be unaware of it, so please correct me if I am.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Regarding the "Best Manga-Based Fic" category... I like the idea, but is there really enough activity with manga-based fics to justify it? I might just be unaware of it, so please correct me if I am.
    Not that I can tell, which is a shame. This would make it really easy to nab that award, though!

Game-Based Fics, huh?

I'm kind of intrigued by that idea, actually. I don't personally remember it existing before, but don't quote me on that.

So what do you guys think, is "Best Game-Based Fic" a good one?
    Sounds really good, but maybe "best side games based fic" is still for the better? The anime and main line of games still have the same setting and structure, while the spinoffs really are nothing like either. I would personally find it difficult to determine whether a fic not focusing on Ash was based on the games or the anime.
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    Year 4-7: Forever Legendary [img]http://i52.*******.com/16a5hc2.png[/img]
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Year 10: The Human Species [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/34zypdx.png[/IMG]
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadedSkies View Post
    Sounds really good, but maybe "best side games based fic" is still for the better? The anime and main line of games still have the same setting and structure, while the spinoffs really are nothing like either. I would personally find it difficult to determine whether a fic not focusing on Ash was based on the games or the anime.
    Hmm, now that I think about it, you have a good point with "Best Side Game-Based Fic." I think it's a little more inclusive, but again, I'll leave it open for comment.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Hmm, now that I think about it, you have a good point with "Best Side Game-Based Fic." I think it's a little more inclusive, but again, I'll leave it open for comment.
    I'm betting that the popularity of side game fics would be equal to main fics, even with the uprising of PMD fics. So I wouldn't really have too much of a conniption about it...
    Though I think "Best Spinoff-Based Fic" would be a smarter title.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

That may lead to debate over what constitutes a "spinoff", considering that technically everything other than the primary games is a spinoff, including the anime.

Also, another question, but related--do mixes of continuities count as crossovers? Like I did one recently that (surely wouldn't win any awards but)'s a crossover between gameverse BW and DPA!, so how would that be considered? I mean, it's all Pokemon, but it's also different parts of the franchise.
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    That may lead to debate over what constitutes a "spinoff", considering that technically everything other than the primary games is a spinoff, including the anime.
    I think the generally accepted answer to this question would be what Bulbapedia lists as spinoff games. A list is here.

I think the only gray area comes with Colosseum and XD.

Also, another question, but related--do mixes of continuities count as crossovers? Like I did one recently that (surely wouldn't win any awards but)'s a crossover between gameverse BW and DPA!, so how would that be considered? I mean, it's all Pokemon, but it's also different parts of the franchise.
    In a sense you could use the term "crossover," but I would say it's not truly a crossover unless you're actually using two entirely different things.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Ah so it would just apply to games and not the whole franchise...hmm, that should probably still be clarified. And regarding crossovers I meant for the purposes of the contest, of course, since you seem to be in charge again.

Well, yeah, then. In this context "spinoff" is referring to side-series games spun off from the main games.

As far as crossovers go, it means crossing over two franchises, unless there's sufficient demand for it to be changed to consider different Pokemon continuities being combined crossover as well.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

As for some unique kind of characters used in pokemon, what category should it be?

I for one author, a doing a pokefanfic where the protagonist is not a trainer. But rather a photojournalist (people who takes pictures as reports). Of course photojournalists do not work like usual pokemon trainers.

So what category should human characters with different purposes (breeders, novelists, pokestar actors/acterss, contestants, musical performers, pokemon sports players [ala basketball, baseball, tennis, football in Unova], or even pokemon nurses) go?
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    As for some unique kind of characters used in pokemon, what category should it be?

I for one author, a doing a pokefanfic where the protagonist is not a trainer. But rather a photojournalist (people who takes pictures as reports). Of course photojournalists do not work like usual pokemon trainers.

So what category should human characters with different purposes (breeders, novelists, pokestar actors/acterss, contestants, musical performers, pokemon sports players [ala basketball, baseball, tennis, football in Unova], or even pokemon nurses) go?
    There is a category for human characters. It's not just trainers.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

I see huh? Interesting. My story, valiant Emblem, has a protagonist that's not a typical trainer.

But I could see right now that the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Saga. What a grand influence has Chunsoft and Gamefreak's unity crafted as video games that become as popular as the main series itself. You see, I believe that 5th generation's story was grandly influenced by the PMD saga itself, generally explorers. From what I've read at TVTROPES, some guessed that N was the hero of the PMD explorers. I''m like what? Has PMD seriously influence the unova plot?

So I think the other Pokemon spin offs that still can make a name for themselves would be the Pokemon Coliseum Series (along with XD Gale of Darkness a debatable candidate for very dark story concepts), Pokemon Ranger (despite being mediocre, it has a moderate audience), and possibly Pokemon Conquest (despite being recent, many said this has more darker potential in a warlord-ish look where war genres can spread like wildfire).

Yet still, of all the poke spin offs, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Saga remains as the most influential pokemon spin off as of now for me.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I think we're making this all waaaaay more complicated than it has to be. Spin-off fics would be fics about PMD, Conquest and (maybe) Ranger, though the last could fit a human-centric fic. Fics that combine two franchises, like the Phineas and Ferb one, or the Pirates of the Caribbean one are crossover fics. We agreed some time ago that we'll try out a specifically PMD category this year. Ranger, in my opinion at least, needs no seperate category from human-centric, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no ranger fics up for vote. I could see Conquest fics as either fitting under pre-existing categories, or getting a category of it's own. However, that's not a problem this year because, again to the best of my knowledge, there are no Conquest fics here as of yet.

In short: a spin off category would include stories drawn from the side games that have a very different feel from the other games in the series. Conquest, PMD, Pinball, Trozei would all fit here. (Side note, has anyone ever written a pinball or trozei fic? That would be... cool, I guess.)

Games like Ranger, Colosseum and XD play similar and have similar storylines to the main series games, ergo don't really merit being in the hypothetical spin-off category. And before people freak out about how Ranger is different, I merely say this because it involves moving around on an overworld map, collecting pokemon for a browser and defeating an evil team bent on conquest/pokemon snatching, though with a different mechanic than pokeballs, and the captures aren't permanent.

I think that because the only spin-off games we're dealing with this year is the PMD series, we shouldn't worry about a spin-off category until such a time comes that there is a significant number of other spin-off games being made into fics. To the other proposal on the other page before, I think the status of Trainer fics is fine, though if there is any confusion, perhaps clarifying it as "Human-centric"? But as it is now, I think most people understand that about the category anyway.
    Last edited by Firebrand; 3rd December 2012 at 10:20 PM.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Quote Originally Posted by Feralninja View Post
    I think that because the only spin-off games we're dealing with this year is the PMD series, we shouldn't worry about a spin-off category until such a time comes that there is a significant number of other spin-off games being made into fics. To the other proposal on the other page before, I think the status of Trainer fics is fine, though if there is any confusion, perhaps clarifying it as "Human-centric"? But as it is now, I think most people understand that about the category anyway.
    But wouldn't creating a category for all spin offs be a healthy preemptive motion? If Ranger or Conquest fics become popular, then there'd be a category for it and we wouldn't have such bickering next year.

I vote me as best new Authorz!!! XD

Just kidding. Check out my story and review it!

But, anyway, I say that each author can nominate two authors, @ a maximum of five categories. Max of 10 authors total, 2x5=10

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    But wouldn't creating a category for all spin offs be a healthy preemptive motion? If Ranger or Conquest fics become popular, then there'd be a category for it and we wouldn't have such bickering next year.
    I'd say it's something we can keep in our pockets, but there's not much use for a category no one is nominated for... We can put it on the table, archive it for a later date, and cross that bridge when (or rather, if) we come to it.

I'd say it's something we can keep in our pockets, but there's not much use for a category no one is nominated for... We can put it on the table, archive it for a later date, and cross that bridge when (or rather, if) we come to it.
    But of course we'd have people nominated to it, since it would envelop PMD fics and take over that category...

But of course we'd have people nominated to it, since it would envelop PMD fics and take over that category...
    In theory yes, but seeing as the only spin off fics we have this year are PMD, why not just call the category that until such a time arises that we have a conquest fic or two to nominate?

In theory yes, but seeing as the only spin off fics we have this year are PMD, why not just call the category that until such a time arises that we have a conquest fic or two to nominate?
    Either idea works, to be honest, so it really doesn't matter.

I agree with this. If there was just a spin-off section then that would cover a wide area. Even if the only nominated ones were PMD then it wouldn't matter because that category still covers it and if I remember correctly I saw one Conquest fic. I don't know if it's popular or not, but still.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

I disagree. Even if only Mystery Dungeon fics get nominated this year, I think it's better to leave the category as open as possible so there's no need to retread it later on whenever changing it over gets done.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

I disagree. Even if only Mystery Dungeon fics get nominated this year, I think it's better to leave the category as open as possible so there's no need to retread it later on whenever changing it over gets done.
    It just seems safer to me.

It just seems safer to me.
    I agree. I just genuinely don't see any reason to just make it a Mystery Dungeon category when it can be a little more inclusive this year and more inclusive in the long term as a general spinoff category.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

When do we start at least nominating? We're halfway through December already.

And I assume voting is public, right? Not polls.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Quote Originally Posted by Sid87 View Post
    When do we start at least nominating? We're halfway through December already.
    Not until January, because anything posted up to and on December 31 is fair game.

And I assume voting is public, right? Not polls.
    Voting is conducted using a special ballot form that Dragonfree generously creates every year. The administrators of voting (myself and Dragonfree) have a password to view the voting records but this information is not publicly available.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast