Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Fanfiction Awards - planning thread

Is there a certain number of nominations needed to be on the list of possible winners?
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

I cant remember if I seen it in here or not, but are we allowed to nominate ourselves?
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 22% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

I would ASSUME not, but I'd think that would be more of an unwritten rule than an actual one.
    Last edited by Sid87; 21st December 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

There should really be a lost of rules/reminders where we can simply look this stuff up. I honestly dont see why we dont have one.

But... but then it wouldn't be "unwritten"!

Well, technically, you said "unspoken" but Im saying for all the rules.

No, you can't nominate (or vote for) yourself. It puzzles me how this question comes up every time there are awards, as if the nomination process could possibly have any meaning whatsoever if people could go around nominating their own work. The distinction between who gets lots of nominations and who doesn't would just turn into who has the gall to openly nominate themselves for an award and who doesn't.

And yes, rules like this are generally stated in the actual award threads. It's not here because this is a planning thread.

Chapter 63: Recovery
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    No, you can't nominate (or vote for) yourself. It puzzles me how this question comes up every time there are awards, as if the nomination process could possibly have any meaning whatsoever if people could go around nominating their own work. The distinction between who gets lots of nominations and who doesn't would just turn into who has the gall to openly nominate themselves for an award and who doesn't.
    I had to ask since I've seen many award things like this where you could vote for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
    Is there a certain number of nominations needed to be on the list of possible winners?
    No, there is not.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

If we want to write down who we thought got second place in a nomination, does that count for one of the five times that we are allowed to nominate an author for?

And it is five per author, right? Not story? Because some have more than one. Even I have two that qualify this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    If we want to write down who we thought got second place in a nomination, does that count for one of the five times that we are allowed to nominate an author for?
    It has in past years.

Also, would it by any chance help at all to have a look at the way things worked last year? I ask just because some of the most recent set of questions can actually be answered by looking at what we used to do. (I don't mean to be blunt about it. Just saying Dragonfree's right that we get the "can you nominate yourself" question every year.) If so:

Planning thread to see what was suggested last year (and for an explanation of the rules if need be).
    Nominations thread for a better understanding of how nominations work.
    Voting thread if you happen to need an example of how voting works.

That said, I do believe that the discussion about the author/story limit left off at five per author. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but keep in mind we were running on a six per author limit last year, so... yeah. It's really not that bad.

REBOOT: Chapter twelve now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    It has in past years.

Also, would it by any chance help at all to have a look at the way things worked last year? I ask just because some of the most recent set of questions can actually be answered by looking at what we used to do. (I don't mean to be blunt about it. Just saying Dragonfree's right that we get the "can you nominate yourself" question every year.) If so:

Planning thread to see what was suggested last year (and for an explanation of the rules if need be).
    Nominations thread for a better understanding of how nominations work.
    Voting thread if you happen to need an example of how voting works.

That said, I do believe that the discussion about the author/story limit left off at five per author. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but keep in mind we were running on a six per author limit last year, so... yeah. It's really not that bad.
    I've seen the nomination thread. Which is where the second place things comes in. I didnt know if was just like a worthy mention or something.

Now, What about best reviewer? If that reviewer is an author, that takes a nomination, doesnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    I've seen the nomination thread. Which is where the second place things comes in. I didnt know if was just like a worthy mention or something.
    If you were looking at my post and the posts following it, those aren't second places. Those are second nominations. You could nominate up to three stories/people/characters/what-have-you for each category, and each post that lists multiple such in categories the way I did weren't listing them in any particular order. Each of those nominees were seen as equally worthy of being contenders to those categories, and as such, they were in fact included on the ballot, even if they were nominated only by one person who listed them in the same category as two or three other [insert what-have-you here]. Make sense?

Tl;dr, those aren't second place nominations. Those are literally just nominations that are being thrown in alongside a couple other fics. In the end, they're not being seen by the person posting as better or worse than other contenders in a category; they're being seen as equals, hence why they're not being excluded from the person's nominations sheet.

Now, What about best reviewer? If that reviewer is an author, that takes a nomination, doesnt it?
    Yes. Most writers on this forum also do reviews, so it's still pretty fair to count the reviewer categories as potential author nominations. Meanwhile, not all reviewers post their fics, but that's okay too because they'd only qualify for the two reviewer categories anyway. *le shrug*

REBOOT: Chapter twelve now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

If you were looking at my post and the posts following it, those aren't second places. Those are second nominations. You could nominate up to three stories/people/characters/what-have-you for each category, and each post that lists multiple such in categories the way I did weren't listing them in any particular order. Each of those nominees were seen as equally worthy of being contenders to those categories, and as such, they were in fact included on the ballot, even if they were nominated only by one person who listed them in the same category as two or three other [insert what-have-you here]. Make sense?
    Yeah, i thought about that after i posted it. The numbers confused me.

Yes. Most reviewers on this forum are also writers, so it's still pretty fair to count the reviewer categories as an author nomination.
    Gosh dang it.

Though I don't know how are the stories picked up to be rated, I don't know as to how my stories are going to fare to the others because something tells me that stories with little amount of views are NOT going to be picked up for examination to be nominated.

Was that the case of previous contests? Or will stories with little reviews be examined as well.
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 23rd December 2012 at 4:22 AM.
    Current Chapter: 36: Inner Mountain Province (Click the Banner above)

There aren't special nomination examinations; any member can nominate whatever they like and it will be on the ballot. If you have readers who like your work enough to want to nominate it, they can do so and you will be in the running, even if they're among few who have read it.

Chapter 63: Recovery
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Though I don't know how are the stories picked up to be rated, I don't know as to how my stories are going to fare to the others because something tells me that stories with little amount of views are NOT going to be picked up for examination to be nominated.
    You'll be surprised. Even if your fic doesn't have that many views, what matters is who's viewing it. You could have a closet reader or a reader who swings by gathering nominations who doesn't post, but it just takes that one reader to get you onto the ballot. Of course, this just means you need to work extra hard at impressing potential readers. Focusing on your story, polishing up as best as you can, using a beta, and so forth.

(And also, this doesn't mean you'll win a category, unfortunately, but it does mean that everyone has better chances than you'd think.)

Why, no, I'm not hinting at anything involving the way I choose what goes on my nominations sheet.
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 25th December 2012 at 1:02 AM.

Discussion has been going pretty well without my interference, but I just wanted to jump in on this:

I personally prefer six over five, now that I think about it.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Thumbs up

Question: Can we nominate people who have not finished stories? If so, then...

Overall Fiction Awards
    Best Pokémon Chaptered Fic - CHA-05: You Are Replaceable
    Best Pokémon One-Shot
    Best Non-Pokémon Chaptered Fic
    Best Non-Pokémon One-Shot - Who Do You Think You Are? I don't recall Pokemon in this, but if there were any then move it to that category please.

Other Fic Awards
    Best Plot - CHA-05: You Are Replaceable
    Most Original Overall
    Best Writing Style - A Journey To Remember
    Best Description
    Best Setting
    Best Expansion of Canon
    Best Character Development
    Best Characterization in a Short Story
    Best Romantic Relationship
    Best Non-Romantic Relationship/Interaction
    Best Original Species
    Most Suspenseful Fic
    Most Heartbreaking Fic

Pokémon Genre Awards
    Best Trainer Fic
    Best Horror Fic
    Best Comedy Fic
    Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Fic
    Best Pokémon-Centric
    Best Canon Character-Centric

Character Awards
    Best Human Main Character
    Best Non-Human Main Character
    Best Human Supporting Character
    Best Non-Human Supporting Character
    Best Human Villain
    Best Non-Human Villain
    Best Minor Character
    Funniest Character

Fic Moments Awards
    Funniest Scene -
    The S.S. Slowbro (which, by the way, I found to be a pretty fitting name for this ship) wasn’t exactly first-class travel. Well, at least, the way I was traveling wasn’t.
    What a sip to be a stowaway on... Ah, yes.
    Most Frightening Scene
    Most Heartbreaking Scene
    Most Heartwarming Scene
    Best Action Scene
    Best Cliffhanger
    Most Memorable Quote -
    My name is Skull.
    What an opening. Haha.

Author Awards
    Best Established Writer
    Best New Writer - Can I vote myself? Haha, Chapter of Charizard
    Most Dedicated Writer
    Most Improved Writer

Reviewer Awards
    Most Helpful Reviewer - Grav
    Most Dedicated Reviewer - Shadow Lucario

~Chapter of Charizard
    Last edited by Chapter; 25th December 2012 at 3:26 AM.

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Best new author- Chapter of Charizard
    Dedicated Reveiwer- Shadow Lucario
    My 3DS FC is 2964-8767-0282 PM me if you add me!

Visit Me and Chapter of Charizards gaming blog. Fans are always appreciated and welcomed. Feel free to comment!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Nominations don't begin until January 1 and not in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    Question: Can we nominate people who have not finished stories?
    Sure.

Best New Writer - Can I vote myself? Haha, Chapter of Charizard
    No. We just had this discussion a few days ago, in fact - you can not nominate yourself. I turn it over to Dragonfree:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post

And yes, rules like this are generally stated in the actual award threads. It's not here because this is a planning thread.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Not to mention...

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    Who Do You Think You Are? I don't recall Pokemon in this, but if there were any then move it to that category please.
    Fo' serious, dude, you've got to read a fic in order to nominate it properly. (That's partly because nominations are the time to advertise for your nominees and get people thinking about them and also because, well, you'd need to know a bit about it in order to figure out what category it goes in.) If you were talking about this fic, not only does it not contain Pokémon at all (and is even located in the Non-Pokémon Fic forum), but it's also not eligible for nomination. It was written and completed in 2011; only fics that were updated/completed in 2012 qualify for the awards.

Also, side note related to ysmr's post, but don't we have a minimum number of nominees per ballot anyway? As in, isn't a nominees sheet that only contains two names sort of invalid? Or did we discuss that/decide not to keep that from last year?
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 25th December 2012 at 4:16 AM.

Also, side note related to ysmr's post, but don't we have a minimum number of nominees per ballot anyway? As in, isn't a nominees sheet that only contains two names sort of invalid? Or did we discuss that/decide not to keep that from last year?
    I... honestly do not remember if we did or not.

Do you think it would be an effective way to encourage people to make more nominations, or would it simply prompt people to not bother even trying?

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

I personally think that kind of "ballot" shouldn't count. There should at least be a minimal number of categories that have to be nominated for. Not saying every ballot has to fill out every category, but that ballot was, like, 5% complete. Maybe each ballot should have to have at least 15-20 nominations? But then I worry about what happens to johnnys-come-lately for whom a lot of stuff has already been nominated, so... I dunno.

I am for a minimum number and (as previously discussed? don't recall) a minimum number of different fics one can nominate for (doesn't have to be big, but could discourage some votes for just one fic by people who have only read said fic they nominate for).

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Other Fics
    Unfortunately Blue | Notice: Keep Out | Turnabout Assumptions
    Song Parodies | Snapshots | Fairy Tale (new!)

Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut? Check the forums too!
    Current article: From RSE to ORAS - Top Ten Wanted Improvements!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast