Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #91

I honestly don't care what anyone says about Rhyperior, he's awsome. Lots of people have been saying that they like Rhydon... which I guess they have reason to... but it's evolution is a beast when used right.

The dancing... rock?
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Rock Wrecker
    -Swords Dance
    -Substitute/Aqua Tail
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Solid Rock
    252 Hp/ 252 Def/ 4 Attk
    Impish Nature (+ Def, - Attk)

It may not look like much, but it works (for me at least). Earthquake and Stone Edge are there for reasons that don't need to be explained. Please don't use Rock Wrecker unless you are sure you can KO something. You have to charge up a turn afterwards. I strongly recommend Stone Edge instead.
    Swords Dance is one of the main moves of this set. Once Rhyperior gets a SD up, it has MASSIVE attack, letting it destroy almost anything in it's path. Substitute helps you gain that boost. If you can manage to sub at the right moment, like when your opponent switches or boosts themselves, you have a good chance of pulling off this sweep.
    Solid Rock is the best ability for Rhyperior in general. Many types hit for 4x the damage. Through reducing super effective attacks to 2.66x the damage, it will help against many opponents who think they can OHKO you.
    This set takes time to know when to switch into it, but if you can manage to do it right and set up, you have a pokemon easily able to 6-0 a team.
    (Hey you, come take a look)
    Pokegyms Ghost Gym Leader

Credit to Azulart for the gym badge

3DS Friend Code: 3110-3953-0871
    IGN: Ashley
    Pokegyms Triples Frontier Brain

Spoiler:- Pokegyms Badges:

Solid Rock is a better ability on Rhyperior even in doubles. Unless you specifically need Lightningrod for your team you should be using Solid Rock. There's using Rhyperior for Lightningrod and then there's using Rhyperior for Rhyperior, you know?

Cell Battery does not activate on Electric-immune Pokemon, so it's useless on Rhyperior.

I used a bulky Rhydon in OU once, it worked out MUCH better than I thought it would, it was pretty funny. Would I use it in OU again? Nah, but I would throw it on a UU team if I could... Despite needing SandStream... But, yeah, here's my Rhydon set that could take Surfs and Hydro Pumps somehow and Phaze...

This is a Rhydon set

WHY U NO GET SOLID ROCK?!
    Ability: Both useless for this set but I guess Rock Head... But in Doubles Lightning Rod could be better...
    Item: Eviolite
    Nature: Careful/Sassy
    Evs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Def/ 4 Def
    Moves:
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Curse/Stealth Rocks/ Rock Slide/ Earthquake/Stone Edge/Toxic/Roar
    Dragon Tail

ALWAYS use this in Sandstorm. It is imperative that Rhydon gets that 1.5x Sp.Def bonus from Sandstorms. Hazards are always welcome with Dragon Tail shuffling. And an upside to Sleep Talk is that if some just so happens to be slower, there's a possibility you can outspeed (impossibru), Sleep Talk and phaze with Dragon Tail, potentially immobilizing your opponent for one whole turn and getting some hazard damage on your opponent. There are a lot of options for Rhydon's third move or whatever... It can Curse to be bulkier and hit harder with Dragon Tail, set up rocks, hit with a STAB move, poison the opponent or you can give Roar for a higher phaze chance and ultimate lulz. Rhydon can do all of these. Rhydon is very capable of troll.
    Last edited by SuperArtNinja; 24th September 2012 at 12:02 AM.
    If you like this, see this and much more at...

http://superartninja.deviantart.com/# - Deviant Art Profile

Oh rhyperior, you were gifted an amazing ability but not the typing or the special defence you truly needed.
    Onto the set:

Hyper-ydon
    Ability: Solid Rock
    Nature: Brave
    Evs: 252 att 252 hp 4 sp def
    item: Leftovers
    -Curse
    -Avalanche
    -Rock Blast
    -Earthquake/Fire Punch

The main focus of this set here is to be a slow killer and with the placement of ev's, curse and leftovers; you will achieve that goal. First move is curse: Curse is a MUST for rhyperior because let's face it, your never going to be the fastest poke. So you use curse to capatalize on that. Next is avalanche, which i really don't get the lack of use of this move. I mean your going to get hurt by your opponent, so why not capatilize on that with a move that gains double the power after you get hurt? Next is another good curse-pherior set move: Rock blast. The prospect of a multiple hitting STAB move is to great to pass up. After one curse, any flying or ice type will not survive unless they are extremely bulky. And finally is the coverage moveslot, earthquake is a great STAB move for massive coverage.

(I may edit this later for grammar and spelling)
    Last edited by Quagsireking; 24th September 2012 at 1:27 AM.

I have claimed Quagsire the king of the marsh!!!

Saw a set with Lightningrod and Cell Battery earlier. No matter what Pokemon has it. Lightningrod and Cell Battery do not work together. For Cell Battery to work, it has to take damage from an Electric attack for it to activate and Lightningrod (And Volt Absorb) or a natural immunity negates all damage.
    Also another thing. If the Pokemon is naturally immune to Electric, Lightningrod's effect to raise Special Attack will not activate.
    Last edited by Aura Flare Riolu; 24th September 2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post
    HG/SS was a great remake, so it'd be difficult to trump it.

Edit: But the fact that this announcement is exciting is hard to contest.

Edit: I guess we'll just have to sea what comes of this.

Edit: Hoenn

Not that anyone cares for gimmicks but in doubles I find it fun to use eviolite Rhydon with the ability Lightningrod on a rain team, use Soak on Rhydon and attack with Aqua Tail. If there is any interest i'll edit this post with my set
    3DS Friend code: 1118-0981-2862 (Grim) - Don't forget to PM me if you add me.

My Safari is Water with: Krabby, Frogadier, and Gyarados

Pokemon White Version: 1335 2256 6735

Spoiler:- Up For Trade:

Soak is the probably the best Move option for a Doubles/Triples partner, though few Soak users have a spare Moveslot to waste on it. Changing quad-Weaknesses to a simple Weakness, the other quad-Weakness to a different simple Weakness, and getting rid of the other Weaknesses? Great for avoiding your weaknesses, but you do lose out on the Sandstorm buff for Rock Types, Grass Knot still hits like a truck, and you have to worry about Discharge after the Type change...

As for Rock Head on Rhyhorn & Rhydon, you do get Double-Edge from Gen 3 & 4 Tutors, so that's an option for Eviolite sets' lack of useful Abilities...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

LOL Rock Wrecker never use it for the same reasons no one uses Giga Impact (with the exception of some slakings) when using it you give the opponent the chance to revenge kill you (which isn't that hard with that speed and Sp.defense) I won't post a set cause I never used him (though I have a week to try it).

but I think a 252 HP, 252 attack is the preferable EV spread on most sets it is made to be a physical tank which nukes with it's stellar attack.
    If only he had a priority move he might have been good at OU (maybe a rock priority next gen)
    He is good at walling physical attackers cause of solid rock physical ground and fighting moves might even 3HKO instead of 0HKO or 2HKO grass and water moves will probably still KO..

It have rock polish as set up move with base 140 attack rock polish can be used effectively (it still be hard to outspeed some threats..)

Rhyperior have something no other fully evolved pokemon except golem have STAB Quake-edge which is resisted by few it can also use aqua tail to make for those who do resist it.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

I think rhyperior is going to see less use in this generation (was he even used much before, maybe?) with Rhydon back at the top of rock/ground pile, a terrible pile but it's still good to be on top thanks to eviolite, defence out of this world, special defence now quite passable, with sandstorm support INCREDIBLE, even it's 4x weaknesses aren't going to be making Rhydon flee in terror.

Rhyperior@Leftovers
    Solid Rock
    Careful Nature(+Def, -Sp. Atk) 252 Def, 150 Atk, 102 HP
    -Earthquake
    -Stealth Rock
    -Stone Edge
    -Hammer Arm/Megahorn/Thunder Punch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Shraeder~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So I herd u liek Mudkipz...So do I!
    FC: 4742-5645-2960
    Friend Safari: Aipom, Audino, and DITTO!

OK I am going to be honest. This set by all rules of Pokemon should not work. Ever. If you have been playing this game for awhile you will look at this set and say, WTF is he doing? But then you use it. And it works so well it makes you want to table flip everything you know about the game. I would like to introduce you people to the crazyness that is the aplynamed Speedferior.

Speedferior
    Rhyperior (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Rock Polish
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Wrecker/Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    I know you are going to look at this set and tell me I'm stupid. But then you should take a look at Rhyperior's stats and you realize this actually works. Rhyperior's terrible base speed looks pretty pitiful, until you double it. Then you are working with a speed of 392. Faster then Shaymin-S, faster then Meloetta's second form, faster then wevile and tornadus-t, it gives you a base speed higher then a pokemon with a base speed of 128. Now add in a Focus Sash and Solid Rock and the odds of Being OHKO'd by anything other then skill link cloyster or Techloom packing bulletseed (Which is a problem for everyone) are little to none. Now add in your 372 attack and the your great bulk and you should OHKO or 2HKO most everything. I have used this set extenisivly, and one thing that cannot be discounted is sunrise factor. No one ever sees the fast Rhyperior coming! EVER!!!!! The moveset is great as well, earthquake is great as a stab and as a move in general it just needs to be there. Ice Punch is great for coverage and manages to grab the 2HKO on defensive Gliscor (Your faster then all but Rock Polish variants) and an OHKO on attacking versions, you can OHKO Dragonite after stealthrocks damage, and you can kill the aforementioned Tornadus-T by out speeding it for one of the most satifying KO's in the game. Your Rock type move is where you hit a snag really, you have a few choices, the unholy power of Rock Wrecker lets you take huge pieces out of even resisted pokemon, but then you have the turn of recovery, Stone Edge gives less power but less accuracy as well, Rock Slide is even less power but does let you have more accuracy, so that whole thing is a toss up. A Smack Down Earthquake combo is viable but Speedferior really misses its powerful rock stab.

All in all this is just one of those ideas that when you come up with it you don't think it will ever work. Then you use it and it works beautifully. You may disregard Speedferior as that stupid thing that some other guy uses. Just don't meet it in a back ally.

Quote Originally Posted by NoteLobo View Post
    OK I am going to be honest. This set by all rules of Pokemon should not work. Ever. If you have been playing this game for awhile you will look at this set and say, WTF is he doing? But then you use it. And it works so well it makes you want to table flip everything you know about the game. I would like to introduce you people to the crazyness that is the aplynamed Speedferior.

Speedferior
    Rhyperior (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Rock Polish
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Wrecker/Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    I know you are going to look at this set and tell me I'm stupid. But then you should take a look at Rhyperior's stats and you realize this actually works. Rhyperior's terrible base speed looks pretty pitiful, until you double it. Then you are working with a speed of 392. Faster then Shaymin-S, faster then Meloetta's second form, faster then wevile and tornadus-t, it gives you a base speed higher then a pokemon with a base speed of 128. Now add in a Focus Sash and Solid Rock and the odds of Being OHKO'd by anything other then skill link cloyster or Techloom packing bulletseed (Which is a problem for everyone) are little to none. Now add in your 372 attack and the your great bulk and you should OHKO or 2HKO most everything. I have used this set extenisivly, and one thing that cannot be discounted is sunrise factor. No one ever sees the fast Rhyperior coming! EVER!!!!! The moveset is great as well, earthquake is great as a stab and as a move in general it just needs to be there. Ice Punch is great for coverage and manages to grab the 2HKO on defensive Gliscor (Your faster then all but Rock Polish variants) and an OHKO on attacking versions, you can OHKO Dragonite after stealthrocks damage, and you can kill the aforementioned Tornadus-T by out speeding it for one of the most satifying KO's in the game. Your Rock type move is where you hit a snag really, you have a few choices, the unholy power of Rock Wrecker lets you take huge pieces out of even resisted pokemon, but then you have the turn of recovery, Stone Edge gives less power but less accuracy as well, Rock Slide is even less power but does let you have more accuracy, so that whole thing is a toss up. A Smack Down Earthquake combo is viable but Speedferior really misses its powerful rock stab.

All in all this is just one of those ideas that when you come up with it you don't think it will ever work. Then you use it and it works beautifully. You may disregard Speedferior as that stupid thing that some other guy uses. Just don't meet it in a back ally.
    Never use rock wreaker in wifi.. and focus sash? with those stats? I would put life orb or lum berry instead.. he have solid rock after all...
    Last edited by Ilan; 27th September 2012 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

OK I GET IT! Rock wreaker is bad!
    And as far as Aura Flare Riolu's quote...
    Saw a set with Lightningrod and Cell Battery earlier. No matter what Pokemon has it. Lightningrod and Cell Battery do not work together. For Cell Battery to work, it has to take damage from an Electric attack for it to activate and Lightningrod (And Volt Absorb) or a natural immunity negates all damage.
    Also another thing. If the Pokemon is naturally immune to Electric, Lightningrod's effect to raise Special Attack will not activate.
    I honestly did not know, i would have sugested differently so, thanks Aura Flare Riolu.

Friend Code: Listed in code spoiler!
    Pokémon Safari Type: Dark
    Pokémon in Safari: Liepard, Nuzleaf, Crawdaunt (Spiecal thanks to mwrspeedy29 and Shao-May)
        Spoiler:- Code Section:

I hate steels
    Rhyperior (M) @ leftovers
    EVs: 4 def / 252 Atk / 252 hp
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - block
    - focus punch
    - Earthquake
    - substitute

The idea behind this set is to lead the rhypherior against a bronzong or registeel, neither of which will be able to break the substiute, this opens the game up for CB flygon/kingdra later, and unlike with magneton, the opponet will see no reason to not lead with his bulky thang. In addition, it can pull off the normal sub punch set, albeit weaker to things like 1 attack togekiss(assuming you let the opponet know you have block). of course, snorlax can technically do this entire set better....
    Beyond Names: everything has a counter.
    Beyond Names: its called hax.
    Tuan Sixtus: Color is a stupid gimmick that only amateur film makers use.
    Villain of Time: Even though he is a bot, he is better than the rest of you, because he believes that he is alive.
    Villain of Time: Please note that in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Collector's Edition I actually do have red blood.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot rust View Post
    I hate steels
    Rhyperior (M) @ leftovers
    EVs: 4 def / 252 Atk / 252 hp
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - block
    - focus punch
    - Earthquake
    - substitute

The idea behind this set is to lead the rhypherior against a bronzong or registeel, neither of which will be able to break the substiute, this opens the game up for CB flygon/kingdra later, and unlike with magneton, the opponet will see no reason to not lead with his bulky thang. In addition, it can pull off the normal sub punch set, albeit weaker to things like 1 attack togekiss(assuming you let the opponet know you have block). of course, snorlax can technically do this entire set better....
    You mention Bronzong, but Ryperior cant do anythign to bronzong in general. Even if you hti it with a Focus Punch, it still doesnt that much.

Block is way too situational to use. Rhyperior is too slow to make use of it, and well any pokemon that uses Block or other moves like it has a gimmick to them (aka Prankster Murkrow w/ Mean Look and Perish Song)
    ayd22: what's it like to use broken items to make up for lackluster skills
    ayd22: yeah your playing great right not
    ayd22: rethink your strategy
    Togoro: get styled upon
    The Pokemon Showdown Little Cup Ladder

I do nothing anymore. Oops
    PASBL

Quote Originally Posted by KingTorterraXIV View Post
    You mention Bronzong, but Ryperior cant do anythign to bronzong in general. Even if you hti it with a Focus Punch, it still doesnt that much.

Block is way too situational to use. Rhyperior is too slow to make use of it, and well any pokemon that uses Block or other moves like it has a gimmick to them (aka Prankster Murkrow w/ Mean Look and Perish Song)
    It still beats Bronzong, though it does almost nothing to Rhyperior's other counters (except Flygon, it ****s up Flygon). Honestly its probably better to just run Fire Punch to get around Bronzong or Swords Danced Megahorn. Fire Punch 3HKOs 99.15% of the time even with Leftovers, No Stealth Rocks, and a 252/252 Relaxed Bronzong spread. Block could be fun for removing it permanently, however Sub + Focus Punch doesn't really do it any favors.

Rhyhorn@Life Orb
    Adamant
    Rock Head or any other ability since they all suck
    156 HP / 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 76 Spe
    Earthquake
    Rock Blast
    Aqua Tail / Fire Fang
    Megahorn

Ah, Rhyperior, you look so cool, if only that translated to being a real threat.
    Whatever, it's a game I'ma use you anyway.

Superior Support
    Moves:
    Stealth Rock
    Dragon Tail/Roar
    Earthquake
    Rock Blast

Item:
    Leftovers

Basically, lay out Stealth Rock and then force switch the counters and rack up passive damage. Rock Blast breaks Substitutes that will block switching attempts. Dragon Tail hurts in it's own right but Roar is more accurate. Earthquake should need no explanation.

Superior Cursing
    Moves:
    Curse
    Substitute
    Earthquake
    Rock Blast/Smack Down

Item:
    Leftovers

Imperfect at best, just Substitute and Curse until Rhyperior's even more indestructable physically then attack away. Earthquake is, again, a no brainer. Smack Down is interesting as it will allow you to Earthquake anything that flies or levitates on the next turn...assuming Rhyperior survives that long.

I'll leave EVs for both sets to the imagination of whoever wants to waste time with stuff like that.

I admit I love Rhyperior and if I ever find the time to build one up I'll even use it on wifi battles. It's just too bad it's so poor at taking special hits.
    The only real Persian is a shiny Persian.

Platinum Friend Code: 2149-9791-3574
    White Friend Code: 5029-3447-3273

I've actually used RP Rhyperior a couple times. Pretty fun, but not effective.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Rhyhorn@Life Orb
    Adamant
    Rock Head or any other ability since they all suck
    156 HP / 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 76 Spe
    Earthquake
    Rock Blast
    Aqua Tail / Fire Fang
    Megahorn
    Only suggestion I have is fire punch over fire fang, or ice punch for gliscor and landorus. Possible alternative for rock blast could be stone edge, as it has a constant base power, whereas rock blast should only be used to take down substitutes

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Only suggestion I have is fire punch over fire fang, or ice punch for gliscor and landorus. Possible alternative for rock blast could be stone edge, as it has a constant base power, whereas rock blast should only be used to take down substitutes
    I just pulled this LC set from Smogon and does it know the punches?

Let us never forget that Eviolite Rhydon is the most physically bulky Pokemon in the game not counting Multiscale users. In fact, you're looking at about 105 / 205 physical bulk, which even blows Giratina out of the water. In fact, a 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef Impish Eviolite Rhydon in Sand is looking at about 105 / 205 / 113 equivalent defenses, which is pretty insane. Not that I'm saying you should use Rhydon in OU Sand, but you can get an idea of just how bulky he really is.

If only he got Solid Rock, and if only Solid Rock reduced weaknesses by 50% instead of 25%...

Rhy are you doing this
    Adamant/impish
    252 defense/152 HP/100 attack
    Solid rock (you stalling so... No brained)
    Leftovers
    Dragon tail
    Stealth rock
    Earthquake/drill run/stone edge/curse/shadow claw
    Ice punch/aqua tail/super power/spite (stall purposes only)

I need a Drill here
    Careful
    252sp.def, 152attack, 100 defense/Hp
    Solid rock
    @ Leftovers
    Drill run/earthquake
    Stone edge/ice punch/mega horn
    Outrage (against dragons only)/iron head/iron tail
    Iron tail for possible defense lowering..... Don't use it unless you want to miss 25-30% of the time iron head would be the way to go could possibly flinch/kill shuckle drill run/earthquake for stab stone edge or ice punch to take Care of other grounds/flying

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    First off Rhyhorn doesn't learn any of those punching moves.

Second, you won't ever see Gliscor / Landorus in LC.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    I just pulled this LC set from Smogon and does it know the punches?
    To be fair the Smogon LC analysis are terrible. Most of them were done by badgehunters who didn't actually know the metagame and just BSed stuff.

Rock Tank (All-physical)
    Solid Rock w/ Muscle Band/Quick Claw
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 130 HP, 128 Defense
    Stone Edge/Rock Wrecker/Rock Slide
    Earthquake/Drill Run
    Thunder Fang/Thunderpunch
    Ice Fang/Ice Punch/Fire Fang/Fire Punch/Megahorn/Poison Jab

Partners
    Quick Light Screen-users like Emolga, Cryogonal, Alakazam, Telepathy Gardevoir, Swoobat, and Prankster Whimsicott.
    Follow Me/Rage Powder-users with high sp defense like Togekiss, Pachirisu, Volcarona, Amoonguss, Jumpluff, Dry Skin Parasect, or Butterfree.
    Sandstorm-users

Countering:
    High Defense and Sp Attack users of special Water/Grass/Ice/Fighting/Ground/Steel-type moves like Tangrowth, Gorebyss, Huntail, Blastoise, Meganium, Focus Blast/Ice Beam Slaking, and Leaf Storm/Giga Drain/Energy Ball Torterra.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 30th September 2012 at 3:41 AM.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast