Thread: Overshadowed Manga

Default Overshadowed Manga

There are countless popular manga at the moment, be it Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Detective Conan, Death Note, Dragon Ball. Etc. However, there are a number of manga that barely many people don't talk about or receive the praise it should deserve. In this thread, give a series or a list of series that isn't often discussed about and explain why you think it's good. To start of.

Franken Fran - I'm not sure, but I haven't seen many people discuss about this series. It's a gruesome and graphic manga about a young Frankenstein's monster doctor named Fran. She is given a number of medical cases, in which she is supposed to fix and work on. Most of her cases involve various sides of the human psyche and most of them end in ironic and disturbing manners. Some are so horrific that I'm not surprised to why this hasn't been offered an anime, or even just an OVA. Regardless of the gruesome nature and its dark sense of humor, it does give intriguing medical insight and makes you curious to how exactly the cases would end, considering Fran is more than willing to do ANYTHING to preserve life, even if it include making them suffer.

Akumetsu - Another graphic manga. However, not as gruesome as Franken Fran. It deals with political tones and most of its villains do look similar to Japanese politicians. The main character, Shou, goes out killing corrupt businessmen, political and social figures, while explaining their flaws. Considering that the villains do look nearly like their counterparts, it may or probably has caused some controversy. However, its political insights are intriguing. Its villains are simply greedy, however, they are seen in shown in such a disgustingly evil manner that you can't help, but want them to die.

These are two among the many that I don't see often discussed. Do you have a manga that you enjoy, but are overshadowed by the bigger names? Post here and let them shine.

Love, too simple of an answer.

Pandora Hearts is amazing and often overshadowed by its sister series Black Butler. The onslaught of plot twists from Volumes 16-19 are some of the best I've ever seen in the entire medium, and although it has a rough start Pandora Hearts really shouldn't be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Pandora Hearts is amazing and often overshadowed by its sister series Black Butler. The onslaught of plot twists from Volumes 16-19 are some of the best I've ever seen in the entire medium, and although it has a rough start Pandora Hearts really shouldn't be missed.
    I have read the first few chapters of Pandora Hearts, but for some reason, never got a chance to continue. Maybe it's time to start from chapter 1 again.

I enjoyed Wish from CLAMP, but sadly because it was published under Tokyopop, copies are hard to come by physically--you gotta buy them online usually used, but they're luckily not that expensive (unlike Fruits Basket and Digimon *grumble grumble*). Basically Wish is about a doctor who rescues an angel from a tree, and she is to grant him any wish he desires, but he doesn't have one. So she stays with him until then--and various CLAMP clichés happen, but it's still a good story.

I've also come to like Kitchen Princess under Delrey Manga, which is basically about a girl who enters a cooking school so she can meet her "prince", but I don't know people who know of it. Same goes for Beauty Pop of Shojo Beat (a girl who cuts hair and has a rivalry with a boy who is trying to prove he can inherit his father's business--or something, been a while since I last read it, but it's seriously better than it sounds).

Another manga I really liked reading was Katsu Aki's Escaflowne, also published under Tokyopop. It's not well-liked especially amongst those who enjoyed the show. I can't exactly blame them, it's extremely difference from the anime, but one has to remember the manga was based off the original drafts, and thus why it's much more shounen. But some people are a bit turned off from the different characterization, especially those of Hitomi and Van. It's a shame, honestly, it was interesting to see what Escaflowne was like before the changes. The copies are hard to find (probably much like the Digimon manga is hard to find--which is probably overshadowed nowadays itself), I was actually lucky to find the first three volumes at Half-Price when I did. I had to buy the rest online over time.

Speaking of Katsu Aki, I liked Love Lucky, which as far as I know hasn't been officially translated, meanwhile Futari Ecchi is his more well-known work--which isn't a bad manga, it's very informative. But Love Lucky I felt was much better as it focuses on the married life of a pop idol who has to keep her marriage a secret for a year because of publicity. Her (rather plain) husband is one of her biggest fans. He got lucky because she personally went out of her way to date and find a husband while keeping her identity a secret as she wanted to prove someone out there loved her for her and not just for her fame. It's a really sweet story, and is easier on the eyes when it came to the sex scenes. Forgot to mention they're mature manga, oooooooops.

I'm sure there's others, especially the ones I have on hand with me, buuuuut I'm not gonna bother listing them right now.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 4th November 2013 at 4:08 AM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I enjoyed Wish from CLAMP, but sadly because it was published under Tokyopop, copies are hard to come by physically--you gotta buy them online usually used, but they're luckily not that expensive (unlike Fruits Basket and Digimon *grumble grumble*). Basically Wish is about a doctor who rescues an angel from a tree, and she is to grant him any wish he desires, but he doesn't have one. So she stays with him until then--and various CLAMP clichés happen, but it's still a good story.
    I think you can read Wish at a few manga sites, for free. It does sound interesting, however.

Another manga I really liked reading was Katsu Aki's Escaflowne, also published under Tokyopop. It's not well-liked especially amongst those who enjoyed the show. I can't exactly blame them, it's extremely difference from the anime, but one has to remember the manga was based off the original drafts, and thus why it's much more shounen. But some people are a bit turned off from the different characterization, especially those of Hitomi and Van. It's a shame, honestly, it was interesting to see what Escaflowne was like before the changes. The copies are hard to find (probably much like the Digimon manga is hard to find--which is probably overshadowed nowadays itself), I was actually lucky to find the first three volumes at Half-Price when I did. I had to buy the rest online over time.
    As for Escaflwone, I've heard of that series before, but only as anime. However, I think it was only being used as a reference in promoting another anime.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burnt Shadow View Post
    As for Escaflwone, I've heard of that series before, but only as anime. However, I think it was only being used as a reference in promoting another anime.
    Not sure if I understand this sentence. If you mean that it was being used to promote the anime itself, you'd probably be correct. The manga came out about a couple of years before it aired in Japan, and went on for another couple of years afterwards for a total of eight volumes. Not sure how popular the manga was, though, considering the anime itself didn't have good ratings in Japan.

If you're talking about the anime promoting another anime, no. I know of no other anime that is like Escaflowne.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Just finished up Lock-On!

Thought it was really good despite it being such a short lived series. Had some really good characters, but also some really weak ones and also the main characters abilities, while cool, don't really get too much attention which is a shame. Which sums up the series in a nutshell. A lot of really good things, but not even attention given to it.

Although I think it may be one of the series that while its sad to see it end, at least it went out on a very high note.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Not sure if I understand this sentence. If you mean that it was being used to promote the anime itself, you'd probably be correct. The manga came out about a couple of years before it aired in Japan, and went on for another couple of years afterwards for a total of eight volumes. Not sure how popular the manga was, though, considering the anime itself didn't have good ratings in Japan.

If you're talking about the anime promoting another anime, no. I know of no other anime that is like Escaflowne.
    I just remember hearing a narrator say something "From the _ of the Vision of Escaflowne."

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    Just finished up Lock-On!

Thought it was really good despite it being such a short lived series. Had some really good characters, but also some really weak ones and also the main characters abilities, while cool, don't really get too much attention which is a shame. Which sums up the series in a nutshell. A lot of really good things, but not even attention given to it.

Although I think it may be one of the series that while its sad to see it end, at least it went out on a very high note.
    Yeah, I also read Lock On. It was astonishingly short and was replaced by something rather generic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burnt Shadow View Post
    I just remember hearing a narrator say something "From the _ of the Vision of Escaflowne."
    The blank might be "creators" or "makers", which would make sense, the creator and director(s) of the show (as well as the studio Sunrise) went on to do other projects, so chances are you've heard it mentioned somewhere.

I thought about other manga last night, and I realized that one of Yen Press' best-selling titles is Higurashi, and yet I don't hear too much about Umineko. I haven't yet read the manga myself, though I will be buying the volumes sometime soon (probably next year, before or after Higurashi is finished). However, I don't know many people who actually have the Umineko manga. It's apparently selling well, but it's not as popular as Higurashi. (This is what I'm gathering from the Yen Press website where you click on the "Books" tab, and the logos of a few of their popular titles are there at the top.)
    I survived Pupa.

The blank might be "creators" or "makers", which would make sense, the creator and director(s) of the show (as well as the studio Sunrise) went on to do other projects, so chances are you've heard it mentioned somewhere.

I thought about other manga last night, and I realized that one of Yen Press' best-selling titles is Higurashi, and yet I don't hear too much about Umineko. I haven't yet read the manga myself, though I will be buying the volumes sometime soon (probably next year, before or after Higurashi is finished). However, I don't know many people who actually have the Umineko manga. It's apparently selling well, but it's not as popular as Higurashi. (This is what I'm gathering from the Yen Press website where you click on the "Books" tab, and the logos of a few of their popular titles are there at the top.)
    Ah, I've seen that quite a few times. However, I never paid that much attention to it.

While not a manga the series "Fables" is quite enjoyable. The plot is about fairy tales chars like Snow White (Snow), The Big bad Wolf ( Bibsly) and others from tales from the Brothers Grimm the Jungle Book as they live out there lives secretly in our world. It is filled with drama,blood,Romance and war; as well as many twists in the story.

Noblesse is my current favourite. It is shounen- action, fantasy, supernatural.

Please check it out it is awesome :0
    3DS FC - 1607 2331 1462- Ixeilon. I am an IV breeder. Here is my shop.
    Timezone - GMT+8. Skype- frozendairyfury
    Battle Maison Super Singles- #161 cause I missed Hydro Pump ;_;