Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Higurashi

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    That's how I introduced my (middle) brother to it was showing him random, gory or scary pictures from the manga. Eventually, I kept talking about it so much he asked questions that proved he was interested, which eventually led to last night's showing of Demoned Away arc.

Tonight, he said, "I'll watch the next episode." So we watched the Cotton Drifting arc. He handled it a little better this time if only because it wasn't as creepy as Demoned Away arc (no crying like last night's). Though he jumped at the last scene, like I expected him to. He shows interest in watching Curse Killing next week.

I regret nothing >8D. Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    He didn't get amd, he was just intrested? Dang, you got a cool brother dere. My brother was trying to tell my mom at dinner that he was "forced to" read a gory book. Thank Oyashiro for my dad. He told my brother it was his fault for reading it in the first place. The only book that he's liked (so far) is the first book of the Cotton Drifting becuase he thought it was hilarious. Yeah. The one with the wipe-wipe scene T_T

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Absol View Post
    I'm with Kutie Pie on this one. Eye-opening was by far my favorite, because it starred my top character, Shion, and it was different from the other "Answer Arcs", seeing that it showed Shion's Yandere side, and also revealed some other things as well. I wish the anime version was as accurate and deep as the manga and sound novel, though. In the anime, she was simply insane, but in the sound novel and manga, her insanity was by far more hellish and it showed her remorse for her actions.
    So you're saying the Eye Opening Arc was a real... Eye opener.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...qjsdK0hl0y72Ug

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post

x3

What got you intrested in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? Why did you start reading it?

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†

Lkjhgfd

What got you intrested in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? Why did you start reading it?

Weeeell...I first read a fanfiction, a Pokemon one, by the name of Seizensetsu. There were a lot of Umineko references in ths story, so I decided to start that anime. I was floored and fell in love with it instantly (which goes to show how weird I am -_-). I discovered the first When They Cry, Higurashi, later. I tackled it in order to subdue my curiousity. Again, I fell in love. Aaaaaaand here I am.

Spoiler:- Some Things:

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    x3

I'm an avid Manga reader than I am an Anime Watcher due to cost of Manga being more manageable. I've seen and heard of Higurashi on the web yet never seen an episode. I bought the first volume and I consider that the best decision I ever made in my life.

Seriously, I LOVE how the story makes every page turn nerve-wracking as to what will happen next. One minute, it's fine at the schoolhouse but one page-turn and BAM!!! Rena's threatening a child with her hatchet and shit gets real!

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Seriously, I LOVE how the story makes every page turn nerve-wracking as to what will happen next. One minute, it's fine at the schoolhouse but one page-turn and BAM!!! Rena's threatening a child with her hatchet and shit gets real!
    Lulz. I remember that!
    Last edited by Ninja Bulbasaur; 17th February 2013 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Why...ERRORS

Kolkolkolkolkol...

@ Ninja Bulbasaur: My brother's not that cool, he's just a bit easy to manipulate easy-going. Your brother's really... weird, though...

Obvious joke was obvious.

I was introduced to the anime first through the Alternative Anime thread. I recognized the name of the anime because I had found the song "Dear You" some time earlier, and decided to take a look after a few people said it was worth it. Later on, I discovered it had a manga, and I was interested in reading it. Got hooked immediately.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Moonlight told me about it, and I started watching Umineko no Naku Koro ni online subbed. I was told several times online that Higurashi was better, so I started it. I loved it as much as I loved Umineko, and still is a fan every since. I started to collect the manga when I checked out the manga section at my local bookstore. I was able to purchase the Abducted by Deoomns arc and the Cotton Drifting arc before they were confiscated.

Kolkolkolkolkol...

We cannot let this thread die!

Everyone, since you've tackled Higurashi, or you're in the process of doing so, how do you judge the two new series Ryukishi07 has created; Umineko No Naku Koro Ni and Higanbano No Saku Yoru Ni?

People keep saying in comments on YouTube, here, and even to me to read the sound novels, as the anime for Umineko butchered it. (Higurashi doesn't get as much flank, though it is still bad, honestly.) I read what was available of the manga scantrons for Higanbano no Saku Yoru ni, and I was just confused, even after reading its TV Tropes page. The sound novel is available to download online, but I use a Mac, I can't play it.

*hangs head sadly*

Someone will probably put it on YouTube one of these days anyway.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

The Umineko manga is better than the sound novels and a million times better than the Anime, and Higanbana is crap no matter how you experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    The Umineko manga is better than the sound novels and a million times better than the Anime, and Higanbana is crap no matter how you experience it.
    Interesting. Well, I think the Higurashi manga is better than the sound novels as well, so I guess once it's translated, I'll go ahead and pick it up. Apparently Higanbana is supposed to be darker than Higurashi and Umineko, but it's still confusing. I think the first "episode" deals with the teacher and ends with his satisfying death, from what I've gathered.

Got around to re-reading the Time Killing arc, and it makes more sense now, especially the arc name. The purpose of the arc was to literally kill some time, both in-universe and in real-time, as well as possibly the meta example at the end of the arc, especially since the sound novels say you can ignore it if one would like. However, it is perhaps the most important arc in the series next to Massacre/Festival Accompanying, especially since you get to figure out a way how to handle the unpleasantness of it as it messes with your theories.

Also, the notes at the end of the manga (and possibly in the sound novel itself) has Ryukishi07 say he didn't work on Time Killing right after Curse Killing. He actually started working on Eye Opening, and then in between time, came up with Time Killing, which would probably explain why it's shorter than the previous question arcs. It just happened to play an important part in the series. So though it's not my favorite arc, far from it, I understand it much better than before. The anime killed this arc the most, sadly, but you know... time restrictions.

Lol killed two birds with one timed pun.
    I survived Pupa.

*gasps* Umineko no Naku Koro ni is one of the most badass mangas in the history of the planet!

Kolkolkolkolkol...

I agree with your opinion on Umineko anime being screwed, but why hate on Higanbana? I personally thought it was pretty damn good. Different from When They Cry by far, but not exactly in a bad way. Though it could've been better.

As for Higurashi, can someone tell me what exactly is the Beyond Midnight Arc and its Answer arc? I've only seen it around, but I really don't understand it. I'm inferring it takes place in the future, but...in what world?

As for Higurashi, can someone tell me what exactly is the Beyond Midnight Arc and its Answer arc? I've only seen it around, but I really don't understand it. I'm inferring it takes place in the future, but...in what world?
    Yes, it takes place in the future, about twenty years after the Great Hinamizawa Disaster. It's an alternative ending to the Atonement arc as an epilogue, but it's part of the question arcs for the manga, albeit as a side-story. It's an interesting arc that is a bit different from other arcs. Beyond Midnight is more of a ghost story than anything else, but it's beautiful. It was eventually incorporated into the DS port, Higurashi Kizuna, as part of the answer arcs.

You should check it out. It actually has some meaning to the series in a way, even if majority of it is never brought up in mainstream.
    I survived Pupa.

Yes, it takes place in the future, about twenty years after the Great Hinamizawa Disaster. It's an alternative ending to the Atonement arc as an epilogue, but it's part of the question arcs for the manga, albeit as a side-story. It's an interesting arc that is a bit different from other arcs. Beyond Midnight is more of a ghost story than anything else, but it's beautiful. It was eventually incorporated into the DS port, Higurashi Kizuna, as part of the answer arcs.

You should check it out. It actually has some meaning to the series in a way, even if majority of it is never brought up in mainstream.
    I see now. I recall reading something like that on the back. I'd love to have the DS import, but I'd need it translated, and I don't know where I can import things in the first place; Hau-au-au...

BUt what do you mean by, the majority of things aren't brought up? Are you saying something was brought up that I missed?

I see now. I recall reading something like that on the back. I'd love to have the DS import, but I'd need it translated, and I don't know where I can import things in the first place; Hau-au-au...
    Same here, but I doubt it's going to get translated and brought to the States because no one has the license to Higurashi here outside of Yen Press translating the manga. It's been a good few years since its release. And now with the release of the 3DS... It's just like with Matsuri for the PS2, it's not going to happen.

BUt what do you mean by, the majority of things aren't brought up? Are you saying something was brought up that I missed?
    No, not exactly, but there's things like heirlooms to the Sonozaki family that's never mentioned in the main Higurashi story, yakuza mutiny or something like that (Akane Sonozaki died from gunshot wounds in this story from someone in the Sonozaki yakuza), and about one or two more things. It makes more sense when you read the manga (about the second time through), and when you look at the other arcs.

It's still a good story, so it shouldn't be passed up (next to the fact it's listed as books nine and ten in the series). Whether it actually is important to the Higurashi storyline, however, depends on your interpretation, especially with the knowledge that there are different worlds that have ended tragically, and Beyond Midnight just happens to be one of them. Which also makes it interesting how it's placed under the questions arc before we come to that conclusion (if one was reading the manga and was their first time into Higurashi).
    I survived Pupa.

Beyond Midnight was amazing. When I first read it I wasn't expecting much because it wasn't based on any of R07's material, but I was pleasantly surprised. The plot twists had my jaw dropping throughout the entire second volume. The first volume of Beyond Midnight has the questions, and the second volume has the answers. There is no answer arc because everything is solved by the end (there's some loose plot strings involving Mion, however, that gives you hints for the Eye Opening arc).

As for Higanbana, it was definitely the rape that turned me off. It made me physically ill so I just dropped the manga and never looked back. I also despised the art and didn't like the supernatural aspects. The best part about Higurashi/Umineko is that, in both cases, the mysteries can be explained scientifically (Umineko's mystery is very convoluted, but we are given solutions to it eventually in Episodes 7 and 8).
    Last edited by ForeverFlame; 1st November 2012 at 7:09 PM.

Beyond Midnight was amazing. When I first read it I wasn't expecting much because it wasn't based on any of R07's material, but I was pleasantly surprised. The plot twists had my jaw dropping throughout the entire second volume. The first volume of Beyond Midnight has the questions, and the second volume has the answers. There is no answer arc because everything is solved by the end (there's some loose plot strings involving Mion, however, that gives you hints for the Eye Opening arc).
    Agreed. I mean, the plot twist was right there in your face, but considering this is Hinamizawa we're talking about, I didn't think much of it until the end where I went, "Duh, of course!" There are still some things that I don't get, but I've always waived it off because, well, it's another world that happened after the end. I don't know which came first, the DS port of this arc, or the manga.

As for Higanbana, it was definitely the rape that turned me off. It made me physically ill so I just dropped the manga and never looked back. I also despised the art and didn't like the supernatural aspects.
    Yeah, the rape was overdone, but the rapist got his rather satisfying comeuppance by the end. And the art just tries too hard. I don't know what was with the artist (I actually won't be surprised if that was the mangaka's first time doing a manga). I don't know if that artist will remain the artist of the series, or if he's doing it like with Higurashi where different artists are used for different scenarios or something.

The best part about Higurashi/Umineko is that, in both cases, the mysteries can be explained scientifically (Umineko's mystery is very convoluted, but we are given solutions to it eventually in Episodes 7 and 8).
    Oh yes, that's what makes it great. Ryukishi07 did his homework while making Higurashi. He even asked his father (think he mentioned what his father's career was, but I can't think of it at the moment) how much gasoline would be needed to blow up a small schoolhouse. Of course, there's some supernatural involved, but I think that's just what we're led to believe until the very end. Though of course, the horror all comes from the psychological side of it, and doesn't rely on the gore to get its scares out, which is what people tend to think is horror these days. So Higurashi is rather fresh for its genre, in that aspect.

I'm curious as to why it is Mangagamer couldn't get the rights to the original music in the sound novel. They're official translators, right? They had to get the rights to translate Higurashi, so why couldn't they get the rights to the music? I love the original music used in the sound novels, it's really effective.

Also, I just found out the first volume of Umineko: Episode I is officially being released at the end of the month, as released through Amazon. And the anime is officially licensed, and will be locally distributed sometime in December UNCENSORED. Yes, you read that right.

And the fandom rejoices. (Or at least Ninja Bulbasaur will rejoice.)
    I survived Pupa.

No, not exactly, but there's things like heirlooms to the Sonozaki family that's never mentioned in the main Higurashi story, yakuza mutiny or something like that (Akane Sonozaki died from gunshot wounds in this story from someone in the Sonozaki yakuza), and about one or two more things. It makes more sense when you read the manga (about the second time through), and when you look at the other arcs.

It's still a good story, so it shouldn't be passed up (next to the fact it's listed as books nine and ten in the series). Whether it actually is important to the Higurashi storyline, however, depends on your interpretation, especially with the knowledge that there are different worlds that have ended tragically, and Beyond Midnight just happens to be one of them. Which also makes it interesting how it's placed under the questions arc before we come to that conclusion (if one was reading the manga and was their first time into Higurashi).
    I'm wondering how Ryukishi came up with it. It was probably originally a scrap from one of his early ideas that he brought back to life by making connections with his current storyline. Or at least that's what I think.

As for Higanbana, it was definitely the rape that turned me off. It made me physically ill so I just dropped the manga and never looked back. I also despised the art and didn't like the supernatural aspects. The best part about Higurashi/Umineko is that, in both cases, the mysteries can be explained scientifically (Umineko's mystery is very convoluted, but we are given solutions to it eventually in Episodes 7 and 8).
    Higanbana is still pretty new, and from the sound of things, you haven't delved all that deeply just yet. I've read what I manage to find when it first came out, and hell, I found it very interesting. True, the supernatural is obvious and the rape is all too grody for words, but I personally think Ryukishi07 was trying something new. Besides, he will probably come up with something to counter the demons and mysteries with science, then end it all with a cliffhanger that will have us falling downwards off the ledge. Higurashi proves to be, well, provable through science, but how can you describe     Spoiler:- .:
    There is just as much supernatural unexplainities in Umineko; the witches, the magic, all true, despite Battler's attempt to declare it false. Higanbana will most positively develop a plot twist to prove the mysteries all science and fact.

I'm curious as to why it is Mangagamer couldn't get the rights to the original music in the sound novel. They're official translators, right? They had to get the rights to translate Higurashi, so why couldn't they get the rights to the music? I love the original music used in the sound novels, it's really effective.

Also, I just found out the first volume of Umineko: Episode I is officially being released at the end of the month, as released through Amazon. And the anime is officially licensed, and will be locally distributed sometime in December UNCENSORED. Yes, you read that right.

I cannot fathom myself why the music cannot be "translated" so to speak. The music plays an important part in setting the mood. Why are we robbed of the proper vibes we're supposed to recieve?

Why must only Ninja rejoice for this happy occasion? I myself am thrilled to discover that it's all being brought to America. What a jolly Christmas it will be. ifmymomdoesn'tstopus
    Last edited by Moonlight Amaryllis; 22nd February 2013 at 1:21 AM.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOM-*passes out*

Kolkolkolkolkol...

After seeing a lot of Phelous reviews where the movies he sees are filled with unlikable assholes for characters, I wish there were more horror movies that did what Higurashi does and make us like the characters so when they are killed, we actually give a crap. I get that these kinds of people exists but main characters who we can like is a good thing for storytelling.

I'm wondering how Ryukishi came up with it. It was probably originally a scrap from one of his early ideas that he brought back to life by making connections with his current storyline. Or at least that's what I think.
    It's either his original idea, or someone else wrote it. I'm not sure either, especially since there are other arcs out there, like the Exorcism arc, the Canal-Drying arc (which is believed to be the true ending), Rotation (or is it Musical Chairs?) arc, and a few others. Most of them are "re-tellings" of other arcs, since we do know that every world has similar elements, but they all end in different ways.

Why must only Ninja rejoice for this happy occasion? I myself am thrilled to discover that it's all being brought to America. What a jolly Christmas it will be. ifmymomdoesn'tstopus
    xD Forgot... sorta.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOM-*passes out*
    *takes body underground*

After seeing a lot of Phelous reviews where the movies he sees are filled with unlikable assholes for characters, I wish there were more horror movies that did what Higurashi does and make us like the characters so when they are killed, we actually give a crap. I get that these kinds of people exists but main characters who we can like is a good thing for storytelling.
    Eh, I don't know why it is some of these screen-writings get approved of. B-list movies get away with this more than A-list movies.

My brother and I watched Curse Killing and Time Killing ("Wasting" in the dub) arcs today. He took them pretty well, though I think he did get ill at the end of the Curse Killing arc. Can't blame him. He has some interesting theories on why the curse happened in each arc, and why the characters die. He believes that Keiichi died in Demoned Away arc because he was getting too close to the truth, so he was killed. (Well, we all know what happened truly, but newcomers don't know that.) While this theory doesn't extend to the other arcs, and he had a few different ones for the others, I thought that was the most interesting theory. I warned him about Eye-Opening arc (which I guess was a bad idea...), so he's getting second thoughts now XD. But it's too late. He's crossed the point of no return, now that he has all the questions, and all that's left are the answers. He can't help himself now but to find out what happens next--or to be more precise: what really happened.

*cackles*
    I survived Pupa.

*takes body underground*
    *sits up* I'M OKAY, I'M OKAY!!!!

My brother and I watched Curse Killing and Time Killing ("Wasting" in the dub) arcs today. He took them pretty well, though I think he did get ill at the end of the Curse Killing arc. Can't blame him. He has some interesting theories on why the curse happened in each arc, and why the characters die. He believes that Keiichi died in Demoned Away arc because he was getting too close to the truth, so he was killed. (Well, we all know what happened truly, but newcomers don't know that.) While this theory doesn't extend to the other arcs, and he had a few different ones for the others, I thought that was the most interesting theory. I warned him about Eye-Opening arc (which I guess was a bad idea...), so he's getting second thoughts now XD. But it's too late. He's crossed the point of no return, now that he has all the questions, and all that's left are the answers. He can't help himself now but to find out what happens next--or to be more precise: what really happened.

*cackles*
    Cool. What was the other theories? Just curious.

Kolkolkolkolkol...

*sits up* I'M OKAY, I'M OKAY!!!!
    *throws in prison cell* Don't get too comfortable. >8D

Cool. What was the other theories? Just curious.
    Ahh, I can't really remember. One I do remember somewhat is he thinks that Keiichi makes wishes, and every time he does, people die, when that was only for one arc. Of course, this was something I actually thought of when I first saw the series, at least with Curse Killing arc. I actually thought he was the curse himself.

I wonder if Yen Press is going to combine two volumes for Festival Accompanying into one volume like they did with Massacre arc. Also makes me wonder why they did this, but I think it's to get to the answer/action faster, like I mentioned on the first page. Still, it was a surprise to have it be twice as big as I thought it'd be. I actually had to look up the chapters online to make sure I didn't make a mistake with my purchase XD.
    I survived Pupa.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast