Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Higurashi

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    You take his kneecaps and his thick skull is all mine jk
    To the dump!

Oh man, I hope a Manga adaptation of it is made (if the Anime doesn't make it to America).
    You have it all backwards; the manga gets turned into anime, not vice versa. There is also a good change the anime will not come to America, unless the original dubbing company tries again (which they won't), a different dubbing company tackles it *coughFUNcough*, or they do what they did with Umineko and just release it in the original Japanese with English subtitles. Though I highly doubt any of them will actually occur. I do believe your only choice will be the Tube of You.

BTW, you know how thriller novels get you hooked and make you turn the page to see what happens even if you may be scared to find out? That's why I love the Manga. I brings me back that feeling when I was reading thriller novels. How it ends with a panel that leaves you hanging so you'll be prompted to turn the page to find: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Zi1j6RKUzHQXU- Yeah.
    Whenever I know something bad will happen in a book, manga included, I usually put the book down, attempt to walk away, and then promptly dash back to the book and turn the page. I think Higurashi actually has me so--scared/thrilled?--I actually stay where I am and just blink frequently.

Do I gush too much about this?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus side down side View Post
    In the arcs that don't specifically focus on Satako, she's usually pretty safe. I would take any arc that isn't about her, and be Satako. However, if I wanted to be really safe, I would be Hanyu during any of them because she never dies.
    The bad side of being Hanyuu is that though she never dies, she has almost no power to control when everyone dies, seeing that you cannot speak to her unless you're Rika or you have a certain level of Hinamizawa Syndrome, and when the latter happens, people are just driven further into paranoia. She alone never dies, which is true, but she can't do ANYTHING but WATCH people she has come to like DIE.

Now tell me, do you really want that? //shot

If you're looking for a more noble answer, I would be Rika during the eye-opening chapter, and with her fight scene with Shion. This is when Rika became my favorite character.
    That actually sounds interesting. You could try something different and attempt to save both Shion and yourself, so everyone could be saved .

What's a humorous scene you'd like to see?
    I just thought this one up all of a sudden;

Rena gets a pet bird, and when she lets it out to show her friends, it escapes and they all chase after it to put it back in the cage. Shenanigans ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post

What I'd like to see is Keiichi and Mion tumbling down a hill together. Yeah... it's like Princess Bride, but a few years before the actual movie is released in their time.

Oh wait, potential shippy moments don't count... I guess... bah, who cares. They attempted that with the OVAs anyway.
    For some reason, I can see Shion glomping Satoshi and doing the same

It's beautiful.

Tell me something I don't know. As an aspiring writer, I admire him greatly.
    His plots are full of twists and turns. You pick an ending randomly, and you'll be floored about how sadistically flawlessly one thing leads to another.

At least Hanyuu was kind enough to let Keiichi bid farewell. If only she could've froze time for everyone but them...
    Her power is probably limited to effecting only those she's had contact with, aka the gang we know best.

Spoiler:- Some Things:

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Amaryllis View Post
    You have it all backwards; the manga gets turned into anime, not vice versa. There is also a good change the anime will not come to America, unless the original dubbing company tries again (which they won't), a different dubbing company tackles it *coughFUNcough*, or they do what they did with Umineko and just release it in the original Japanese with English subtitles. Though I highly doubt any of them will actually occur. I do believe your only choice will be the Tube of You.
    I don't think it'll be completely viewable on YouTube, but since Kai and the others are on there, it's a possibility. Either way, there are plenty of websites out there that'll upload it.

The bad side of being Hanyuu is that though she never dies, she has almost no power to control when everyone dies, seeing that you cannot speak to her unless you're Rika or you have a certain level of Hinamizawa Syndrome, and when the latter happens, people are just driven further into paranoia. She alone never dies, which is true, but she can't do ANYTHING but WATCH people she has come to like DIE.

Now tell me, do you really want that? //shot
    Made a good point there. It'd be worse to be Hanyuu for sure. Poor girl.

I just thought this one up all of a sudden;

Rena gets a pet bird, and when she lets it out to show her friends, it escapes and they all chase after it to put it back in the cage. Shenanigans ensue.
    That reminds me of a one-shot on FFN about Rena getting a pet bird, but she succumbs to the Syndrome when the bird attempts to fly away, so she cuts off its wings so it'll stay in its cage.

8D You're welcome.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I don't think it'll be completely viewable on YouTube, but since Kai and the others are on there, it's a possibility. Either way, there are plenty of websites out there that'll upload it.
    You're in charge of finding them.

That reminds me of a one-shot on FFN about Rena getting a pet bird, but she succumbs to the Syndrome when the bird attempts to fly away, so she cuts off its wings so it'll stay in its cage.

8D You're welcome.
    I remember that fanfiction. I was traumatized for days...

I remember that fanfiction. I was traumatized for days...
    The Higurashi/Haruhi Suzumiya crossover The Cries of Haruhi Suzumiya is more traumatizing because it keeps the characters in character, and the atmosphere of Higurashi strong. It seriously is the freakiest story I have read to date. And that's saying something if it's coming from me.

Oh yeah, has the release date for Higurashi Outbreak been confirmed yet?
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Whenever I know something bad will happen in a book, manga included, I usually put the book down, attempt to walk away, and then promptly dash back to the book and turn the page. I think Higurashi actually has me so--scared/thrilled?--I actually stay where I am and just blink frequently.
    As I turned the pages leading up to Satoko's defiance against Teppei, my heart was beating like CRAZY!

"Will she? Can she? Would she? Could she?"
    Last edited by matt0044; 28th May 2013 at 1:35 PM.

Dunno about this question but...

I don't really know, because I'm terrible at making up humour scenes...but maybe a scene where Satoko is trying to set a trap up on Keiichi and he sees her set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus side down side View Post
    I've always wanted to see Rika become her creepy adult self at a really bad time.

Like she's playing jump rope and gets tripped up and scrapes her knee and yells, "Goddammit. How could I have been disemboweled, and still have it hurt so goddamn bad?"

And then all the other characters just stare at her.

"Nippah...."
    OH GOD THAT *applauds*

So now we wait until June for the beginning of the final arc. I'm excited, I could never find complete scantrons online. So it's going to be glorious. I also hope they translate the Dice-Killing chapter, since it's just a single volume. If they translate more Higurashi stuff, I may go for them as well, but for sure once Festival Accompanying is complete, I'm going straight for Umineko.

Also, OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT COVER IT'S GORGEOUS
    I highly suggest Umineko, as that series is amazing, and EMERGERD BEAUTIFUR COVER~

What I'd like to see is Keiichi and Mion tumbling down a hill together. Yeah... it's like Princess Bride, but a few years before the actual movie is released in their time.
    LOL I remember dat from the movie. I miss that movie, too, it's one of my favourites.......

Oh yeah, has the release date for Higurashi Outbreak been confirmed yet?
    Oh, tomorrow. Why do you ask?

EDIT: I was a month off, I believe it's May 20th! Dang it!
    Last edited by Ninja Bulbasaur; 20th April 2013 at 9:18 PM.

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Spoiler:- Credit:

I got Massacre Arc volume three yesterday, but didn't get to read it until tonight. Took me an hour-and-a-half to read.

And I'm depressed, but impressed. I haven't really played the sound novels all the way through, so I'm not that well-versed in how the Massacre Arc on the sound novel went, but the manga adaptation is gorgeous, so much better than the anime. The anime really left out a lot of details, and it's such a shame, Massacre Arc is that one arc that shouldn't be abridged, or important details will be missed. It's so hard for me to say what I loved about this arc: the characters, the art, the pacing... anything. It's just a beautiful arc, but it's so freaking tragic. While reading, I was getting into the mood with the Higurashi sound novel soundtrack, and when I got to the climax of the gang's demise, "Birth and Death" started playing. I didn't cry, but the wave of emotions was there, and it was an amazing read, albeit very sad. The pacing to it was well-done, I really didn't want time to stop. I wanted them to keep talking...

So... that's that. Now, all that's left is Festival Accompanying, and hopefully the Dice-Killing volume. It's been a fun ride, it's a shame it's coming to an end this time next year. Thankfully, I'll be able to get on as many times as I want, and that's what I love about Higurashi. I long to share it with people, but the violence (and to an extent the fanservice moments) will more likely chase people away than keep them, and that saddens me. I would love to share this with my parents if it wasn't for that fact. My brothers also don't seem to care for it, and the middle brother is still refusing to finish watching the anime. Maybe someday he'll want closure to it...

Well, better start getting ready for June 25th. I have money set aside to buy the rest of the volumes when they become available on Amazon. So happy they start out cheap at about ten dollars, for the longer they're made available, the more the price goes up. It's almost insane (as much as it makes sense), the second Massacre volume is $15.10. $15.10, guys. At least other cheap offers are readily available, but still, I'm just happy to have gotten the third volume for about $10.66 even though it's been a month since it's been out. So awesome Amazon is the better dealer, I really don't want to pay twenty bucks at a regular bookstore for these books, as much as they're worth the price.
    I survived Pupa.

Which pairing is your favorite?

Oh good Lord, I don't even know anymore. I really like Keiichi/Mion, but I also like the idea of Keiichi/Rena. They really teased both of those pairings in the show, at least in the OVAs, anyway, though they both had their fair share in the canon arcs as well: Mion's during Cotton Drifting, and Rena's in Atonement--though I think the series leaned more toward Keiichi/Rena, now that I think about it. Of course, Higurashi couldn't help but also tease Keiichi/Satoko and Keiichi/Rika as well. (I'll get back to you on Keiichi/Hanyuu.)

So... yeah...

Spoiler:- Festival Accompanying arc spoiler:
    I survived Pupa.

Oh good Lord, I don't even know anymore. I really like Keiichi/Mion, but I also like the idea of Keiichi/Rena. They really teased both of those pairings in the show, at least in the OVAs, anyway, though they both had their fair share in the canon arcs as well: Mion's during Cotton Drifting, and Rena's in Atonement--though I think the series leaned more toward Keiichi/Rena, now that I think about it. Of course, Higurashi couldn't help but also tease Keiichi/Satoko and Keiichi/Rika as well. (I'll get back to you on Keiichi/Hanyuu.)
    Higurashi's seems to be like a Horror Harem series.

Given the amount of fan-service from every single source material of Higurashi, it was probably intentional. But at least romance is more like a Plot C in some worlds, and it's heavy on the friendship than anything else.
    I survived Pupa.

...Where do I begin.

When I first started Higurashi, my top was Keiichi/Rena, no questions asked. I than shipped Keiichi/Mion...and than I discovered what had really happened in Cotton-Drifting...and than I stopped...than I finished Eye-Opening...and I shipped it again...and than I took a liking to Keiichi/Satoshi because of the OVAs...and now I really hate myself for being a multishipper...

Higurashi's seems to be like a Horror Harem series.
    No, really? //sarcasm

Given the amount of fan-service from every single source material of Higurashi, it was probably intentional. But at least romance is more like a Plot C in some worlds, and it's heavy on the friendship than anything else.
    Higurashi is listed as a harem series, as well as shoujo, horror, and seinen. Expect those elements.

Higurashi is listed as a harem series, as well as shoujo, horror, and seinen. Expect those elements.
    While I'm not calling you out on it, whoever has it listed as a shoujo obvious has no idea what shoujo is--it's clearly not meant for girls of all ages like Sailor Moon is. Just because it looks like a moe doesn't mean it's a shoujo, otherwise Elfen Lied would be a shoujo. Josei is more like it, though I don't know many women who would take a liking to Higurashi right off the bat.
    I survived Pupa.

While I'm not calling you out on it, whoever has it listed as a shoujo obvious has no idea what shoujo is--it's clearly not meant for girls of all ages like Sailor Moon is. Just because it looks like a moe doesn't mean it's a shoujo, otherwise Elfen Lied would be a shoujo. Josei is more like it, though I don't know many women who would take a liking to Higurashi right off the bat.
    I'm recalling this from a source I read a year ago, so I could simply be remembering incorrectly. However, the show is drawn in shoujo style, so perhaps that's what got it all confused.

Here is a topic for everyone, too~

What did you start with; sound novel, manga, or anime?
    Last edited by Moonlight Amaryllis; 9th May 2013 at 2:26 AM.

Anime, of course, it was the easiest to find online. I watched the sub first before watching the dub. The manga scans are incomplete due to copyright, and you have no idea how hard it is to find the sound novel. Thankfully, someone on YouTube did the entire game and posted it online, but it takes a whopping 140 hours to watch. It's longer than CLANNAD, in a way.

Higurashi Festival Accompanying arc will be released in about a month now. I went ahead and pre-ordered it last week because I was afraid the price would go up again (pre-ordering the second volume's cheaper though >_>, but I'll wait on that since it won't be released until October, strangely enough). So I'm also wondering if anyone's pre-ordered it as well, or if they're waiting for when it officially comes out on June 25th. Now Umineko Episode II will be released at the end of the month, so who has that in the bag when it comes to pre-ordering? It's a dollar cheaper than Festival Accompanying, after all. (Also, holy crap, the first volume of Episode I is running out of stock o_o. Wow.)

EDIT: Holy hell, the price for Festival Accompanying went up! Again! It went from $13.38 to $13.64 since I last checked last night! What the heck, why is the price going up? Also, wow, with exception of the Massacre arc volumes, Amazon's running low on every single Higurashi manga o_o. At least they get new batches, but damn. The series really has grown in popularity.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 15th May 2013 at 6:41 PM.
    I survived Pupa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeRg9GxImXY A perfect summary of Kira.

(Pointless post, honestly...) I forgot the guy went on to make an Umineko Pardoy Abridgement. But yeah, he hit the nail on the head there, pretty much, like most other people who have something to say about Kira.

Speaking of Higurashi, Outbreak should be released soon. Also, I looked on the Higurashi Wiki for Outbreak and discovered that it's been written by Toshifumi Kawase, the series script supervisor and director of Rei (I don't think he was that involved with Kira). Which would probably explain why the trailer showed that it will return to its gory roots. The wiki also said the makers in an interview said the ending will differ from the original story. I wish there was a way to track down Outbreak...

Also, the price for the first volume of Festival Accompanying keeps climbing! The hell?! I hope that doesn't get added on to those who pre-ordered before the price climb...
    I survived Pupa.

I got Massacre Arc volume three yesterday, but didn't get to read it until tonight. Took me an hour-and-a-half to read.

And I'm depressed, but impressed. I haven't really played the sound novels all the way through, so I'm not that well-versed in how the Massacre Arc on the sound novel went, but the manga adaptation is gorgeous, so much better than the anime. The anime really left out a lot of details, and it's such a shame, Massacre Arc is that one arc that shouldn't be abridged, or important details will be missed. It's so hard for me to say what I loved about this arc: the characters, the art, the pacing... anything. It's just a beautiful arc, but it's so freaking tragic. While reading, I was getting into the mood with the Higurashi sound novel soundtrack, and when I got to the climax of the gang's demise, "Birth and Death" started playing. I didn't cry, but the wave of emotions was there, and it was an amazing read, albeit very sad. The pacing to it was well-done, I really didn't want time to stop. I wanted them to keep talking...
    I completely agree with you, because when I read the scene in my local bookstore I was almost in tears, and I already knew what was happening. In comparison, the anime adaption wasn't very good, because it made less sense. But meh, who am I to talk?

It's Keiichi/Mion and Satoshi/Shion, though I'm cool with Keiichi/Rena as well. I've surprised myself, as I've taken a liking to Rika/Satoko.

The anime, on DailyMotion, and I watched about half the sub version and half the dub version (subbed of Abducted by Demons, Cotton Drifting, and Atonement, then dub of Curse Killing, Time Killing, and Eye Opening). Afterwards, I watched the first couple episodes of Kai and I began the manga, but I only managed to purchase the first four before my mother banned it for not being appropriate. So, I snuck back the anime and finished Kai, Rei, and Kira. But I did start the Umineko anime, it being my very first anime I had ever watched, and began reading the manga scantrons off of mangareader.com. Unfortunetly, they have only up to Dawn of the Golden Witch, Chapter 10 and it's been a year or two since it's been updated. So, I now patiently wait for the rest of Umineko no Naku Koro ni to come out.

[EDIT: Holy hell, the price for Festival Accompanying went up! Again! It went from $13.38 to $13.64 since I last checked last night! What the heck, why is the price going up? Also, wow, with exception of the Massacre arc volumes, Amazon's running low on every single Higurashi manga o_o. At least they get new batches, but damn. The series really has grown in popularity.
    It's rising...veeeeeeery slowly.

Dear Oyashiro, I LOVE HPF! That guy is a comedy genius. "With more suffering!"

(Pointless post, honestly...) I forgot the guy went on to make an Umineko Pardoy Abridgement. But yeah, he hit the nail on the head there, pretty much, like most other people who have something to say about Kira.
    Personally, I've preferred his Higurashi ones because they were less offensive than the Umineko one, but it's still pretty funny ("Maria, don't disembowel the neighbor's cat!")

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    I completely agree with you, because when I read the scene in my local bookstore I was almost in tears, and I already knew what was happening. In comparison, the anime adaption wasn't very good, because it made less sense. But meh, who am I to talk?
    No, you're totally correct. Though I will forgive the anime adaptation because of time constraints. At least the anime helps gets a new-comer into the series, in my opinion.

The anime, on DailyMotion
    That's where I watched it as well. It was all subbed, though the person had each episode split into three parts, so it was pretty tedious, honestly. But it was worth it.

Unfortunetly, they have only up to Dawn of the Golden Witch, Chapter 10 and it's been a year or two since it's been updated. So, I now patiently wait for the rest of Umineko no Naku Koro ni to come out.
    Eh, expect it to go incomplete. I think they stopped adding more scantrons due to copyright or something (I never saw the end to Eye-Opening manga until after I bought my copy). It happens. Thankfully, Yen Press is on the job. Turn of the Golden Witch volume one is being officially released tomorrow, so at the rate of how the volumes are being released at about every three months (and the second volume's coming out in August), in about a few years, I suspect it'll be completed. Higurashi will finish up next April, unless they do a couple more side-stories like Dice-Killing. (I hope they do Dice-Killing.)

It's rising...veeeeeeery slowly.
    It's got to be rising weekly. It's at $14.13 right now. The second volume's at $12.16 (that's why I pre-ordered the second volume on Friday when it was $11.93). The third volume's at $15.80 right now, but the price is falling at the moment. As soon as it reaches the eleven-dollar range (or hopefully into ten), I'm definitely pre-ordering it.
    I survived Pupa.

To be fair, many of the adults are pretty much useless or is the enemy. Sure, Rena did something wrong even if she did it for a good cause because she and her father were in danger. But Keiichi was correct in chewing her out for doing something stupid. Murder's still murder. So I think in the Atonement arc, there had to have been two opportunities to change the future. In Massacre arc, one of those paths was taken, in which Rena went to her friends for help before she acted out the murder.

It's possible that had she decided to turn herself in with support of her friends, she may not have gone insane, and the school hostage wouldn't have happened. It's hard to say what would happen in its place, since it's possible Rika will still die either way, but that's part of the charm of Higurashi. We are free to explore "what if"s, and it's possible to be canon. Because Frederica said so.
    I survived Pupa.

^You're right though I was mostly kidding with that poster.

Question tiiiiiiiiime~ (May be a slight spoiler question?)

For those who have finished Festival Accompanying arc whether through the anime, sound novel, or even the manga (somehow), did you feel sympathy for the devil, a.k.a Miyo Takano?

Yeah, I'll admit that I did. Granted, I still hate her for what she did, but I still stand my ground when I say Ryukishi07 is a genius and knows how to foreshadow and leave clues. Looking back throughout the series and also watching her throughout the Festival Accompanying arc (because she's technically the main character for this arc now), everything makes perfect sense. Of course, this took a few viewings, but that's what makes Higurashi so much fun. Every time you return to Hinamizawa from the beginning, you see things you never noticed before because you are actively searching for those clues you missed the first time around. And Takano's is very well-hidden, but at the same time, it's also pretty obvious once you think on it some. So for her to take the spotlight in this arc is the best decision there is, because it helps wrap up everything while still maintaining its creepy mysterious aura.

Also, look at the cover for the second volume of Turn of the Golden Witch.

o______o Yeaaaaah... that's a very awkward cover. Granted, it does foreshadow what'll happen, but still, it looks like bondage to someone who doesn't know what the series is about. Did they really decide to go with that? The other potential covers weren't good enough? My mom wasn't happy with the cover of the third volume of Eye-Opening, she would definitely lift a brow at that if I ever buy that anywhere within her vicinity.
    I survived Pupa.

:3

To be fair, many of the adults are pretty much useless or is the enemy. Sure, Rena did something wrong even if she did it for a good cause because she and her father were in danger. But Keiichi was correct in chewing her out for doing something stupid. Murder's still murder. So I think in the Atonement arc, there had to have been two opportunities to change the future. In Massacre arc, one of those paths was taken, in which Rena went to her friends for help before she acted out the murder.
    I had trouble taking Keiichi's lecture about not murdering people rather hypocritical, because he killed someone in a previous arc without anyone else's consent...(or was that a hallucination?)

It's possible that had she decided to turn herself in with support of her friends, she may not have gone insane, and the school hostage wouldn't have happened. It's hard to say what would happen in its place, since it's possible Rika will still die either way, but that's part of the charm of Higurashi. We are free to explore "what if"s, and it's possible to be canon. Because Frederica said so.
    If she turned herself in, I personally think she still would've gone insane, because people get arrested for murder, and she might get locked up in an insane asylum because of her reasoning for killing. Her father might the her forever, and she might blame her friends for it, and promptly break out and seek revenge. This is Higurashi; someone has to have their button pushed to the point of explosion.

Question tiiiiiiiiime~ (May be a slight spoiler question?)

For those who have finished Festival Accompanying arc whether through the anime, sound novel, or even the manga (somehow), did you feel sympathy for the devil, a.k.a Miyo Takano?
    Just a little. I'm sorry, but Takano is one of my least favorite characters in the series. Granted, she does have a reason for being such a life-destroyer, but that doesn't justify her actions at all. I'm sure that had to be another way to prove her point without killing anybody...

Also, look at the cover for the second volume of Turn of the Golden Witch.
    ._________________________________________.

o______o Yeaaaaah... that's a very awkward cover. Granted, it does foreshadow what'll happen, but still, it looks like bondage to someone who doesn't know what the series is about. Did they really decide to go with that? The other potential covers weren't good enough? My mom wasn't happy with the cover of the third volume of Eye-Opening, she would definitely lift a brow at that if I ever buy that anywhere within her vicinity.
    What were they thinking?! Now Umineko looks like a hentai manga...ormaybetheyjustwantedtoattaractacertainaudience

I had trouble taking Keiichi's lecture about not murdering people rather hypocritical, because he killed someone in a previous arc without anyone else's consent...(or was that a hallucination?)
    Well, he doesn't remember.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast