Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Higurashi

I am in love with the higurashi anime and that's one of the best animes I have ever seen but I could not get over myself to read the manga. I started it once but it started with a long back story of the fair haired woman and I lost my interest. So, is the manga really different from the anime or even longer? It may be worth it give this manga another try then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemonspecialgerman View Post
    I started it once but it started with a long back story of the fair haired woman and I lost my interest. So, is the manga really different from the anime or even longer? It may be worth it give this manga another try then.
    I don't remember that... are you talking about the last arc? You picked up the last arc when you should've started with Demoned Away and worked from there, much like how the anime did it. It does it in a way so you can get into the mystery (even though you know who did it) and slowly gather evidence that way. So the moment you reach the last arc, you're already invested in the mystery and want to see it fully-solved.

The order of the manga goes like this (using Yen Press' translated titles because it's a really good translation):

Abducted by Demons
    Cotton Drifting
    Curse Killing
    Time Killing
    Beyond Midnight (manga-exclusive arc)
    Eye Opening
    Atonement
    Massacre
    Festival Accompanying

And yes, the manga is different and significantly longer than the anime. The anime could only do so much because of time constraints, and while it was a fairly good adaptation, the manga does it so much better. Helps that the artists actually used the original PC game as the template alongside the script, so the manga is much more closer to the game than the anime is. And the manga is much creepier.

Also, the art in the manga is gorgeous. Makes me wonder if Ryukishi07 picked the best of the best to illustrate Higurashi, especially for the Curse Killing and Massacre arcs. (Personally, I think the art of Time Killing is really "meh", but you can still admire it.)

So do yourself a favor and get the volumes. They are well worth the eleven bucks apiece (well, it become about twenty bucks from Massacre-onward).
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I'VE BEEN GONE FOR TWO MONTHS AND YOU GUYS ADDED TWO PAGES ASDFGHKL

XD

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Question tiiiiiiiiime~ (May be a slight spoiler question?)

For those who have finished Festival Accompanying arc whether through the anime, sound novel, or even the manga (somehow), did you feel sympathy for the devil, a.k.a Miyo Takano?
    I felt some sympathy, yes, but that still doesn't necessarily justify the genocide of a whole village who never did anything wrong in general.

Also, look at the cover for the second volume of Turn of the Golden Witch.
    OH THAT SCENE I remember that from the anime! ^^ Most awkward thing two years ago.

o______o Yeaaaaah... that's a very awkward cover. Granted, it does foreshadow what'll happen, but still, it looks like bondage to someone who doesn't know what the series is about. Did they really decide to go with that? The other potential covers weren't good enough? My mom wasn't happy with the cover of the third volume of Eye-Opening, she would definitely lift a brow at that if I ever buy that anywhere within her vicinity.
    Peh. My mother was already put off by the cover of the first book of Cotton Drifting. T_T

Perhaps, but she was getting very desperate. She couldn't think straight at the time because...

Spoiler:- spoiler twist:
        Spoiler:- replying:

XD It's possible in one world Rena killed Rika. Rika did hint in Atonement arc that "it's not the first time I've dealt with her", which suggests that she may have been killed by her at least once.
    There was.

"Master...why do you have a female Lopbunny on our team? Eh, master? Tell me, master, tell me, qhy do you have a lopbunny? Tell me, please tell me. Tell me. Master, why? Why, master? Tell me!

...Why are you lying to me?!..."

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Amaryllis View Post
    I think we need a topic here...so...roleplay time!

Let's say you moved to Hinamizawa, and befriended the club. When horrible things go down, what do you do?
    Sis, we're pretty much the Mion and Shion Sonozaki of our group. Why do I need to explain this?

I'm not very sure, because there's always different things that set off the paranoia. I'd probably try and keep everyone together and prevent the tragedy from happening, thus failing, and then getting brutally murdered by the one inflicted with Hinamizawa Syndrome.

So am I the only one here who has all the Higurashi volumes thus far? I was hoping we'd get a bit of discussion on the new volume...
    I had the first four, but you remember what happened...

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Edit: Finished the next chapter and once again, Higurashi redefines the meaning of "disturbing" and "atrocity." Heck, those words are far too soft in describing what Takano endured. To say that those guys were the scumbags to end all scumbags would get them to say, "Thanks, we try our very best to be the worst humanity has to offer."
    Since I haven't actually had the time to read it, can I ask a question?     Spoiler:- "possible spoiler':

I'm sure that the Second Sino-Japanese War is taught in Japanese schools, so Ryukishi07 would've naturally learned of it, but damn. We're getting a little history lesson here, that's awesome.
    http://www.istockup.com/video/templa...ia-gif-781.gif

I'M SO SORRY I COULDN'T RESIST *shot*

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post

Since I haven't actually had the time to read it, can I ask a question?     Spoiler:- "possible spoiler':
    No but with the mental scarring she was subjected to, I wouldn't put it past... those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    I'VE BEEN GONE FOR TWO MONTHS AND YOU GUYS ADDED TWO PAGES ASDFGHKL
    I THOUGHT YOU DIED--I mean, GAVE UP HIGURASHI

I felt some sympathy, yes, but that still doesn't necessarily justify the genocide of a whole village who never did anything wrong in general.
    True, true. But!

Spoiler:- spoiler:

OH THAT SCENE I remember that from the anime! ^^ Most awkward thing two years ago.
    That's in the anime too XD? I finished Episode I in the anime some months back, but never got back into it. So that'll be awkward, maybe...

Though if I'm lucky, I'll be able to find the uncensored version of the episodes. Yeah, yeah, someone's gonna try and stop me from watching it, but I don't like dropping shows that I've started watching. Might as well finish it at some point.

Peh. My mother was already put off by the cover of the first book of Cotton Drifting. T_T
    She'd have a conniption fit with the third volume of Eye-Opening, then. My mom really frowned at that when I was ordering the volumes.

Spoiler:- replying:
        Spoiler:- spoiler answer:

Alright, I'll give you that. But how do we know that didn't happen before Atonement arc happened?

Since I haven't actually had the time to read it, can I ask a question?

Spoiler:- possible spoiler:
        Spoiler:- again:
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Ah, yes, evilcuteaardvark's videos. I watched almost all of them in one sitting one time, and I was laughing so much. I can't pick my favorite out of them all, they're just so funny.

Just checked on Amazon. The Higurashi books are still running low on stock from Massacre volume one-down. Freakin' amazing, it's like Amazon can't keep up with restocking to the orders. Also, the cover for Turn of the Golden Witch volume two changed. Guess the other was a place-holder or something or maybe people complained. Now it's less awkward.
    I survived Pupa.

I think I realize why I like Higurashi. Because portrays how good and bad humans can be beautifully. From the gang's camaraderie to Takano's depravity, it really shows how Ryukishi07 knows that humans aren't all bad but it's not all good. It shows that balance that hits the nail on the head. All that while showing the most grotesque imagery every illustrated. It's not all doom and gloom but it's not all gumdrops and ice cream either.

Can't argue, it sounds about right. The series has a number of themes, usually to do with friendships and where the line is drawn when it comes to morality of murder, but I wouldn't doubt that's one of those themes.

Damn, the prices of the manga sure has been hiking up closer to twenty dollars on Amazon. Really makes me happier in having pre-ordered them. (Seriously can't wait for the end of October for the next volume to come. And I should probably pre-order volume three now, don't think the price is going to fall any lower.) I'm also impatiently waiting for the sub of Higurashi Outbreak to be available. I also read somewhere there's like five episodes of the OVA, which I hope is true and that the episodes are awesome.
    I survived Pupa.

Ello~
    I love love LOVE Higurashi, I watched it completly (from ni, to rei) and I also watched all of Umineko no naku koro ni.

My favourite character in Higurashi has to be -SPOILERS-

Hanyuu <3 :3
    Currently PlayingPokemon Omega Ruby

Shinys so far: ;541;

Quote Originally Posted by Winona View Post
    I love love LOVE Higurashi, I watched it completly (from ni, to rei) and I also watched all of Umineko no naku koro ni.
    There's Higurashi Kira, but I don't blame you for skipping it, or at least not knowing of its existence (though it's impossible to not know of it if you're a fan of Higurashi). Really, with exception for maybe the last episode of the OVA, don't bother watching it unless you like fanservice that, yes, Higurashi is known for--it's just taken up to insane levels in Kira. Then there's Higurashi: Outbreak (or Kaku), but there's no sub for it yet. Which sucks.

Umineko was good, but it wasn't that great. The manga is so much better, even though the visual novel will always be the best.

My favourite character in Higurashi has to be -SPOILERS-

Hanyuu <3 :3
    I like how in hindsight Hanyuu was always there, we just never saw her except as a presence throughout the series, even though it was misleading. I suppose Hanyuu's reveal in Massacre was the key to pointing out all of the foreshadowing in previous arcs, and it helps make the ride that much fun again. Yeah, we may never get that scare we first got, but the memory's still poignant. And honestly, I haven't been that scared since, which I secretly do miss.

At least it's easy to relive it when you watch it with someone who hasn't seen it. When I watched it with one of my younger brothers, I got flashbacks and a lot of giddiness just watching him squirm. It was fun.
    I survived Pupa.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku Outbreak WAS AMAZING! for any fans who hasnt seen it yet i would totally recomend it, the manga rocks as well!
    DWFEgg Movesw/Thunderpunchw/DragonDance,Outrage,Crunchw/RockBlast,RapidSpinw/BulletPunch,DrainPunchw/Disablew/DarkPulsew/DragonDancew/ExtremeSpeedw/BulletPunch,DrainPunchw/Agility,BatonPassw/RapidSpinw/Curse,Wish,Yawnw/BulletPunch,BlazeKick,HiJumpKick,Crunchw/VoltTackleCan do egg moves and natures on request.Also have extra battle items for tradeWantsAny legendaries and DWF

Is the new volume out yet?

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Is the new volume out yet?
    Not yet. It's scheduled for October 29th, so in a couple of weeks. Those who preordered should get it a little bit earlier, if not on the exact same day.

Yeah, I'm excited too. Especially since this is the volume where we get to see what happens to Rika's mother--I'm sadistically looking forward to that scene.
    I survived Pupa.

Anyone got their copy yet? Don't spoil anything I just want to know if it's out.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Got mine this Saturday instead of Halloween like I hoped (for some reason, the post office changed some policy which is why I didn't get my book on the 29th like the last two pre-orders). I went ahead to read it today and just now finished.

It's really getting good, I really was not disappointed. I haven't touched the sound novels for a while so I can't exactly make comparisons (except we see what happens to Rika's mother--we don't get anything in the sound novel), it explains things a lot better than the anime did (no surprise there). It really goes in depth about all that has happened, and the psyches of the characters. We actually get backstory of Ooishi and Hanyuu (that I was surprised about, I thought that was explained in the Dice-Killing arc according to the OVA--but I shouldn't have taken that into account...), and those were a joy to read.

You know... Higurashi really hits home for me, especially when it comes to Keiichi. In Massacre arc, we learn that we should really do all that it takes to get help or at least change fate around by using will and support from people to do it. It continues to come into play here, and it still hits hard. I've been having issues lately when it comes to school and all that, and I worry about how it's been affecting me on the level of psychosis. I worry that my mind will just snap and who-knows-what I'll do. I don't get freak outs, but if I feel like my brain's overloading over something (like I get too obsessed/anxious over something especially school-related), I just shut down and wait for all of my emotions to drain out so I can calm down and breathe easier. I'm like Keiichi in a way when it comes to abstract thought or whatnot. He probably handles it better than I do, but there are things he gets confused over and yet excels at it depending on the question much like I do.

I think that's why I started bawling that one time when I watched episode 10 of Curse Killing when I was in particular having an awful day and was just overloaded with work and stress over my grades. I knew exactly what he was going through, and I really connected with him. While I thankfully haven't plotted out to kill anyone (and pray that it never happens), just having him going over his life as he's digging that hole was enough to get me to understand him. And that's probably why Higurashi speaks to me on a lot of levels, and that I do feel much better when I get anywhere near the story and characters. It being a way to fantasize killing someone is not one of them, I swear, the story makes it perfectly clear murder is still wrong.

There's a lot I really like about this particular volume, I can't choose my favorite part. (Okay, the faces are awesome to look at 83. All of the crazies, especially Takano's crazy faces.) The ending got me, I really do not remember that frightening tidbit at all. Hell, I don't even think the anime had that wham of a moment.

So... now I have to wait until January for the next volume. I should pre-order here soon, especially since it doesn't look like the price is going to drop any further. To think that Higurashi will be fully translated by April of next year, unless they're also going to translate Dice-Killing since it's only one volume. It's both exciting and a bit sad at the same time. But on the plus side of things, it'd give me leeway to focus on Umineko right afterwards. Should be twice the fun.
    I survived Pupa.

Finished the volume. I never thought I'd love Irie as much as I would've years ago with Volume 1. Heck, Keiichi's dad has more depth than I'd originally thought.

Finished the volume. I never thought I'd love Irie as much as I would've years ago with Volume 1. Heck, Keiichi's dad has more depth than I'd originally thought.
    Irie's been wonderful. We first get to meet him in Curse Killing, and he's not much--he's the doctor, the coach of the baseball team (he was hinted at in Demoned Away), and he has a thing with Satoko in a maid outfit. That was his character for a while. He developed a little bit more come Massacre arc, but as Festival Accompanying is the arc to answer all arcs, he finally got to shine, and everything about him is basically revealed, and he gains more respect. Technically, it's a bit late, but hey, even Akasaka has gotten a bit more character development here much like Ooishi, so it works to their advantage.

Festival Accompanying is really good, it just takes a while to get into it (the anime was like this the most for me, I've only seen the ending like two or three times, and I've pretty much rewatched nearly every arc). That's probably why I'm glad they went with the decision to put two volumes together from Massacre-up. Helps us get through the story faster.
    I survived Pupa.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910