Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Higurashi

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Amaryllis View Post
        Spoiler:- SPOILER:
    That's true. The sound novels are only first-person, so of course we can only get the descriptions of what happens through what they say/are thinking of. That's what makes some of the arcs, if not all of them, very effective because we're in the view-point of the main character. Most of the time, the main character is going through a psychotic relapse, so that makes it even freakier once we realize our narrator is an insane person. Rika is a hard one to interpret, though Takano's makes sense once we get to the end of the Festival Accompanying arc.

Spoiler:- :
    Just because she had nothing to do with the first murder doesn't mean she wasn't a part of it. After all...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Mind if I make this an Umineko thread too?
    I don't mind, though it would make more sense if the title was "When They Cry" instead of just "Higurashi". See if you can get the thread's name changed.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Holy crap I've been absent for so long *shot*

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Speaking of which, we'll be watching the Massacre arc this week 8). I just hope he hasn't run into anymore spoilers until then. (He's been looking up various AMVs, and has watched a couple of Higurashi ones.)
    It's a 50/50 chance he didn't :U

I got Umineko.
    High paw!

Spoiler:- huge spoiler:
        Spoiler:- spooooiler:

Just finished Umineko Vol 1. So far, so great. As far as Yanderes go, Maria's in my Top 5 as of now.

Too bad about Shannon...

Mind if I make this an Umineko thread too?
    Nope! They cross hand and hand with each other so I think it'd be alright. (I'm on EP6 Chapter 12 online so...)

I'm still confused about the whole Teppei thing though...I didn't understand the Rina-death thing until I saw     Spoiler:- Not that much of a spoiler:
    , and they had a picture. Nails in the fingers...I remembered this from the anime so I put the pieces together...

Spoiler:- BIG FAT HONKING SPOILER:

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    It's a 50/50 chance he didn't :U
    He thankfully didn't. The reveal threw him off, he couldn't believe it XD.

I'm still confused about the whole Teppei thing though...I didn't understand the Rina-death thing until I saw     Spoiler:- Not that much of a spoiler:
    , and they had a picture. Nails in the fingers...I remembered this from the anime so I put the pieces together...
    Eh, it's probably just my own head-canon or something like that. We just know that Teppei = immediate dead-end world.

Spoiler:- BIG FAT HONKING SPOILER:
        Spoiler:- No clickie unless you really want the answer:
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I read up to Chapter 12 of the Massacre Arc and I can't believe I'm saying this but Teppei just became more detestable. And here I thought that was impossible.

On a lighter note, I love how the Manga never fail at getting me to the page more and more.

I read up to Chapter 12 of the Massacre Arc and I can't believe I'm saying this but Teppei just became more detestable. And here I thought that was impossible.

On a lighter note, I love how the Manga never fail at getting me to the page more and more.
    I think I'm getting the second Massacre volume on Christmas. I found the Amazon UPS boxes in my parents' walk-in closet. I didn't look inside them, but it's pretty obvious XD.

But yeah, Teppei is despicable. Though those troll faces he makes are kinda hilarious.

I find it funny how despite knowing what's going to happen in the sound novels/manga, Higurashi still scares me. I was looking at parts of Demoned Away arc on the sound novel yesterday, and it frightened me. But I got a sense of brilliance (which didn't hit me when I read it in the manga for some reason):

I survived Pupa.

I find it funny how despite knowing what's going to happen in the sound novels/manga, Higurashi still scares me. I was looking at parts of Demoned Away arc on the sound novel yesterday, and it frightened me. But I got a sense of brilliance (which didn't hit me when I read it in the manga for some reason):

Spoiler:- AND:

Spoiler:- Some Things:

I'm halfway through Vol 20 (Vol 2 of the Massacre arc) and I'm kinda nervous to continue on. With Higurashi, I never ever, ever know what to expect be it good or horrifying. (no spoilers at all since even with tags, I'll be tempted.)

Kyle Hebert: Can Keiichi and the villagers possibly persuade Oryou? Or is Satoko doomed to forever be a shell of her former self at Teppei's mercy? Find out on the next thrilling volume of Higurashi No Naku Koro NI!!!!!!

^ Oh, just keep on reading. You have another volume left to go in a few months, there's no real reason to be nervous. (Though I take it you've already looked at these spoiler tags... eh?)

xD And really? Did you have to go there?

Oh crap, I forgot about that o_o. I actually thought it was Rena, though after I finished the series, whenever I looked back I always got that thought in the back of my head going "NO IT'S NOT, DOOFUS".
    I survived Pupa.

Oh crap, I forgot about that o_o. I actually thought it was Rena, though after I finished the series, whenever I looked back I always got that thought in the back of my head going "NO IT'S NOT, DOOFUS".
    I at first assumed it was a Hinamizawa villager, but I figured it out as I went along.

matt0044; I do believe it is best to not be tempted by the spoiler tags.

He thankfully didn't. The reveal threw him off, he couldn't believe it XD.
    I remember I spoiled myself about that one arc which I forgot...but I believe it was the Masscre arc. I spoiled the entire ending for myself :U. I'm never gonna forgive myself for that.

Eh, it's probably just my own head-canon or something like that. We just know that Teppei = immediate dead-end world.
    The Atonment arc wasn't...?

Spoiler:- No clickie unless you really want the answer:
        Spoiler:- spoiler:

OMG HOW DIDZ THAT HAPPEN O.O

It does a good job of that.

I think I'm getting the second Massacre volume on Christmas. I found the Amazon UPS boxes in my parents' walk-in closet. I didn't look inside them, but it's pretty obvious XD.
    >.<

This is a dumb question, but why do they spell "cute" "kyuute" in the sound novel???
    Last edited by Ninja Bulbasaur; 16th December 2012 at 1:16 AM.

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†

I remember I spoiled myself about that one arc which I forgot...but I believe it was the Masscre arc. I spoiled the entire ending for myself :U. I'm never gonna forgive myself for that.
    *pats your head*

The Atonment arc wasn't...?
    It technically still was, because Rika was still murdered. She was knocked out on her way back home from the clinic.

He never did. I don't know where you heard this, but he never went to the train station. He only thought about it.

This is a dumb question, but why do they spell "cute" "kyuute" in the sound novel???
    It's read as a "squeal", I guess. Rena pronounces it that way when she squeals happily.
    I survived Pupa.

I'm halfway through Vol 20 (Vol 2 of the Massacre arc) and I'm kinda nervous to continue on. With Higurashi, I never ever, ever know what to expect be it good or horrifying. (no spoilers at all since even with tags, I'll be tempted.)
    Definitely continue! The end of the Massacre arc is by far the best ending to a Higurashi arc.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Definitely continue! The end of the Massacre arc is by far the best ending to a Higurashi arc.
    *gulps* Well, okay. Bombs away. I guess...

By "best ending", I think you mean     Spoiler:- :

Anyhoo, took a look at Rika's suicide scene in the sound novel for... some reason. Boy, it sure goes on for a long time, it feels like xD. But man, does Shion go into detail about what's going on. Pretty gruesome, even if it did help the mangaka for Eye-Opening arc to draw it out in great detail. Though I kinda wish there was different music being played for when Rika stabs herself (like "Demonic Institute"). It's probably because I'm already so desensitized when it comes to gory detail like that, but I really wanted it to freak me out. I don't doubt it was very shocking (I mean, yeah it is, but the first read-through, yeah it definitely is), but the music is what helps make it horrifying the most. It's called a "sound" novel for a reason.

Also, I've read in a few different places that Rika was screaming at Hanyuu as she was killing herself. She only chokes out her name before grabbing the knife, so... I don't know why they just didn't let Rika call out her name in the anime. That change kinda confuses me.
    I survived Pupa.

We need more Anime protagonists like Keiichi. Especially for Harem series.

Edit: Just finished the Massacre Arc. And what a wild ride it was. My heart was literally pounding from excitement. I-I never felt this way about any other series. If this Manga series was a woman, I'd marry it. But it's not, so...

My god, I'm such a geek.
    Last edited by matt0044; 12th December 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Edit: Just finished the Massacre Arc. And what a wild ride it was. My heart was literally pounding from excitement. I-I never felt this way about any other series. If this Manga series was a woman, I'd marry it. But it's not, so...
    Did you read the rest online? Just wondering, because the Massacre Arc ends with Volume 21 of the Yen Press edition, which doesn't come out until March.

Anyway, I finished Yen Press's Volume 1 of Umineko. Their translation was amazing. I don't think they got anything wrong. The names... the epitaph... they even made sure the foreshadowing     Spoiler:- EP7:
    remained intact.

Did you read the rest online? Just wondering, because the Massacre Arc ends with Volume 21 of the Yen Press edition, which doesn't come out until March.
    Oh. Even so, I really enjoyed this volume.

*pats your head*
    I still feel sad about it.

It technically still was, because Rika was still murdered. She was knocked out on her way back home from the clinic.
    Wait, where'd they say that?

He never did. I don't know where you heard this, but he never went to the train station. He only thought about it.
    I remember reading in one of the first four manga books that they saw a figure that looked like him at the train station.

It's read as a "squeal", I guess. Rena pronounces it that way when she squeals happily.
    Everyone says it as "kyuute", even Keiichi. And he doesn't squeal.

AGREED.

Anyhoo, took a look at Rika's suicide scene in the sound novel for... some reason. Boy, it sure goes on for a long time, it feels like xD. But man, does Shion go into detail about what's going on. Pretty gruesome, even if it did help the mangaka for Eye-Opening arc to draw it out in great detail. Though I kinda wish there was different music being played for when Rika stabs herself (like "Demonic Institute"). It's probably because I'm already so desensitized when it comes to gory detail like that, but I really wanted it to freak me out. I don't doubt it was very shocking (I mean, yeah it is, but the first read-through, yeah it definitely is), but the music is what helps make it horrifying the most. It's called a "sound" novel for a reason.
    Need...to look...at Eye Opening...!

Anyway, I finished Yen Press's Volume 1 of Umineko. Their translation was amazing. I don't think they got anything wrong. The names... the epitaph... they even made sure the foreshadowing     Spoiler:- EP7:
    remained intact.
        Spoiler:- EP1:

Can't wait until they release EP3 on manga, because that's one of my favourites.

Kolkolkolkolkol...

Wait, where'd they say that?
    Rika said it to herself when she was talking with Frederica (in the manga, anyway, not too sure about the visual novel as she was pretty much talking to you, the reader).

I remember reading in one of the first four manga books that they saw a figure that looked like him at the train station.
    That's only what someone said.

*shrugs* Then... don't know what to tell you.

When you do, don't read it at night. Seriously.
    I survived Pupa.

Because in Japanese she pronounces "kawaii" ("cute") as "ka-ii~" ("kyute~").

By "best ending", I think you mean     Spoiler:- :
    Basically, yeah.

Also, I've read in a few different places that Rika was screaming at Hanyuu as she was killing herself. She only chokes out her name before grabbing the knife, so... I don't know why they just didn't let Rika call out her name in the anime. That change kinda confuses me.
    I saw Rika's suicide from the sound novel a while ago, and believe you me, it was pretty damn gruesome. But it did go on for a while; I suppose because Ryukishi07 was trying to go into as much detail as possible, because seeing it's a sound novel, it can't get graphic without some descripton. I actually found it more disturbing, especially Shion's comment on the shade of Rika's blood and calling her actions of suicide a dance...the death felt strangely spiritual because of that. Even though it was the utter opposite. I agree with you on the track selection; to be honest, they could have picked better music to play in several scenes.

Well, she was basically screaming her name, or at least trying. The anime probably didn't because if people misheard her, and thought she said something else, it would more or less ruin the effect later on. Because people wouldn't make the connection.

My god, I'm such a geek.
    The Massacre arc is a real heart-pounder, isn't it?

Don't worry, bro, I'm a total geek as well. Also, can I quote that on my sig? :P

Then they are mimicking Rena. Put the pieces together -_-

Yes. Yes you do.

Can't wait until they release EP3 on manga, because that's one of my favourites.
    If we're not going to read it, why bother getting excited? -_-

Don't worry, bro, I'm a total geek as well. Also, can I quote that on my sig? :P
    Sure thing. Include the part about the Massacre Arc (shameless promotion FTW)

Because in Japanese she pronounces "kawaii" ("cute") as "ka-ii~" ("kyute~").
    That makes sense.

I saw Rika's suicide from the sound novel a while ago, and believe you me, it was pretty damn gruesome. But it did go on for a while; I suppose because Ryukishi07 was trying to go into as much detail as possible, because seeing it's a sound novel, it can't get graphic without some descripton. I actually found it more disturbing, especially Shion's comment on the shade of Rika's blood and calling her actions of suicide a dance...the death felt strangely spiritual because of that. Even though it was the utter opposite. I agree with you on the track selection; to be honest, they could have picked better music to play in several scenes.
    I thought I could handle reading it, but I started to squirm mid-way through. (Didn't help I was eating.) Though Shion describing it as a dance makes it a bit more... ehh, wouldn't say "hilarious" in hindsight, since I guess it's more of a fridge brilliance, but...

Well, she was basically screaming her name, or at least trying. The anime probably didn't because if people misheard her, and thought she said something else, it would more or less ruin the effect later on. Because people wouldn't make the connection.
    Ehh... makes somewhat sense, but still, I wish they kept it in. She's stabbing herself through the neck, she can't exactly speak very well, so to have her scream her name in a gurgled, choked tone would make sense. Though why she'd scream out her name to begin with confuses me. Was she giving a signal to Hanyuu, or was Hanyuu not in the room...?
    I survived Pupa.

Ehh... makes somewhat sense, but still, I wish they kept it in. She's stabbing herself through the neck, she can't exactly speak very well, so to have her scream her name in a gurgled, choked tone would make sense. Though why she'd scream out her name to begin with confuses me. Was she giving a signal to Hanyuu, or was Hanyuu not in the room...?
    Perhaps, Hanyuu was there BUT for narrative purposes, we weren't suppose to know. Like Keiichi and the gang, we don't see Hanyuu like Rika can.

Sure thing. Include the part about the Massacre Arc (shameless promotion FTW)
    H'okay~!

I thought I could handle reading it, but I started to squirm mid-way through. (Didn't help I was eating.) Though Shion describing it as a dance makes it a bit more... ehh, wouldn't say "hilarious" in hindsight, since I guess it's more of a fridge brilliance, but...

Don't eat while watching anime, I learned my lesson long ago. I wouldn't say, "hilarious", I would say, "darkly humourous in a disturbing sort of way".

Thye never explained it, but I believe that Hanyuu was watching, horrified and transfixed, as thd deadly dance took place, and Rika, irritated that the spirit was such a coward and could do nothing but watch, screamed her name in frustration. That is my idea, anyways...

Speaking of Rika's inevitable deaths, how come each artist draws it differently? First time shown in the Curse Killing Arc, she had a blank expression before Keiichi's freakout. Like, "Oh no, I've been killed or whatev. Better luck next time, I guess." Next time in the Beyond Midnight arc (is that it?), she has a pretty demented smile. Like "Oh boy, I've been murdered." In the Massacre Arc, she has a shocked expression. Like "Oh sh*t, not this again!"

What gives?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast