Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Higurashi

I really love Rika's desire to save her friends in the Massacre Arc. As I said before, I really wanted to give the poor girl a hug.

Hi guys, I'm not dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Well... to be honest, Kira takes place right after the tragedy was broken. Naturally, they'd want to be silly and have fun. And though fan service is a part of Higurashi, they went overboard with it in Kira. The only good thing that came from Kira was the last episode, which I liked how they touched upon Hanyuu's motherly side, because we never did get to see it in the anime--not even Rei showed it. Heck, we only got told of Hanyuu's story through her words, we never did see a flashback except for when she was consulting with her daughter, then it cuts away before anything happens. I came to like Hanyuu more because of that adorable Kira episode.

...no, I'm not defending Kira, I agree that it was a bad OVA, but come on, guys. The last episode was the only good episode from it because it was decent.
    Granted, Kira did take place after everything was supposed to be happy, but honestly, the fanservice was just bleeding horrible (no pun intended). Higurashi is an anime that displays gut-wrenching situations of both friendship and insanity, so why not have more cute development on their friendship, rather than throwing all of that crud at us? Honestly, all that arc did was intensify my hatred for Ooishi, Tomitake, Irie, and Keiichi.

Although the final episode was the best out of them all, that's saying quite a bit, because even that episode had its moments. In my opinion, the only good in those episodes was Satoshi, because he got more appearances. And the yaoi

I have to snicker at Teppei's facial expressions at the end, though. The artist tried to make him look crazy and warped, but it kinda had the opposite effect. Though if I saw someone with that face in real life, I'd get creeped out, too... but damn was the abuse portrayed very tragically in the manga. It was hard to read and look at when Teppei started pushing and punching Satoko around.
    Dude, when I saw those images, I almost wet myself. He looks so demented and psychotic in those images, I wasn't at all surprised that Satoko's expression was one of pure horror. I would be clutching her, sobbing, if I was right next to her. The abuse was also horrible too see ;_;

Do you have a least-favorite arc?
    I would normally say it was the entire Kira, but seeing I already threw that out there...There wasn't any least favorite arcs, but I am honestly not that fond of some things in Demoned Away. The horror and creepy-level was amazing for the first arc, but I really hated the way     Spoiler:- Why is this in a spoiler tag IDK:

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Time-Killing. The whole point is to give us the Rika plot twist on a silver platter, but it was already super obvious by that point. The manga even gives it away at the end of the first arc (I'm not sure if the sound novel does as well).
    It was just the art-style I didn't like, the rest of it was fine to me. It linked to the Curse-Killing arc, but to be honest, it just confused me even more so. What's the big idea, Ryukish07? -_-

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I really love Rika's desire to save her friends in the Massacre Arc. As I said before, I really wanted to give the poor girl a hug.
    You and me both. *tears up*

Rika's situations reminds me of a fanmade RPG not related to When They Cry in any way, which has something similar to the constant repeating. The game...makes me cry...all the damn time...
    Last edited by Moonlight Amaryllis; 27th January 2013 at 3:55 AM.

Spoiler:- Some Things:

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    :U
    I gotta another really stupid question; When do we figure out about Ritsuko's being killed having to do with Teppei?
    Kutie Pie didn't answer, but I will.

In Killing Curse arc. They found her body on the trash and a couple time later they reveal her name. A Tips in the sound novel, someone (I think is Oiishi) said something about Teppei had some problems with money and reveal everything.

When Keiichi and the others discover Rena's victims, Ritsuko and Teppei, did Satoko recognize her uncle?

When Keiichi and the others discover Rena's victims, Ritsuko and Teppei, did Satoko recognize her uncle?
    I don't think they ever saw the bodies, just the bags.

Speaking of Atonement arc HOLY FREAKING CRAP does the sound novel go into description on how the bodies are disposed, and why she did it the way she did. That's freakin' scary, man. Even scarier in that it's through Rena's point-of-view, and the text isn't white, it's pink by this time. The Atonement arc gets really scary whenever we get into Rena's point-of-view, because we know she's going insane, and the text slowly turns blood-red over time.

Urgh, it made me shiver just going through the videos to find the exact point where she cut up the bodies...
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I don't think they ever saw the bodies, just the bags.
    Freaky coinkidink.

I'm not sure if this is ever touched upon, whether Satoko makes the connection between her uncle and Rina's pimp in Tsumihoroboshi or not. I wouldn't be surprised if, after the initial "OH MY GOD HE'S DEAD" shock, she wouldn't be all that heartbroken over it, though.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    she wouldn't be all that heartbroken over it, though.
    "all that" I'd be surprised if she shed a tear over her Uncle.

Rena didn't destroy the bodies that badly, so I'd say that she probably did, and simply did not care. After all, her uncle was the cause of all her grief, so why should she care? Besides, the issue at the moment was Rena's apparent insanity, not her personal issues with a corpse.

Speaking of Atonement arc HOLY FREAKING CRAP does the sound novel go into description on how the bodies are disposed, and why she did it the way she did. That's freakin' scary, man. Even scarier in that it's through Rena's point-of-view, and the text isn't white, it's pink by this time. The Atonement arc gets really scary whenever we get into Rena's point-of-view, because we know she's going insane, and the text slowly turns blood-red over time.

Urgh, it made me shiver just going through the videos to find the exact point where she cut up the bodies...
    The sound novels were the original form of When They Cry, so it had all of the original gruesomeness added. I'm surprised, and delighted, to hear they went as far as changing the color of the text to up the horror-level, and to make it very clear that there was some loss of sanity afoot.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Amaryllis View Post
    The sound novels were the original form of When They Cry, so it had all of the original gruesomeness added. I'm surprised, and delighted, to hear they went as far as changing the color of the text to up the horror-level, and to make it very clear that there was some loss of sanity afoot.
    They only did this in Atonement arc, though. I'm not entirely sure why they did this, probably so we could decipher the differences between Rena's and Keiichi's point-of-view. Or probably because that's the arc where you pretty much get the important information about what Hinamizawa Syndrome truly is (though they tease you about it until Massacre arc). Still, it's freakin' creepy reading the blood-red text the first time as Rena basically hallucinates glowing red eyes staring at her from across the street after talking to Ooishi--AUGH CHILLS
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

They only did this in Atonement arc, though. I'm not entirely sure why they did this, probably so we could decipher the differences between Rena's and Keiichi's point-of-view. Or probably because that's the arc where you pretty much get the important information about what Hinamizawa Syndrome truly is (though they tease you about it until Massacre arc). Still, it's freakin' creepy reading the blood-red text the first time as Rena basically hallucinates glowing red eyes staring at her from across the street after talking to Ooishi--AUGH CHILLS
    I believe they changed the text color to heavily emphasize as much as a sound novel can how insane Rena has become. This somewhat reminds me of the clip in the Cotton Drifting arc, when the anime subtitles turn a deep red when Sh/Mion appears from the bedside and says something around the lines of, "Well I'm taking it baaaack~!" in terms of her promise to not kill him. Though this was a hallucination, at least that's what I think, it was still frightening as crap to watch for the first time. *fearsweat*

This somewhat reminds me of the clip in the Cotton Drifting arc, when the anime subtitles turn a deep red when Sh/Mion appears from the bedside and says something around the lines of, "Well I'm taking it baaaack~!" in terms of her promise to not kill him. Though this was a hallucination, at least that's what I think, it was still frightening as crap to watch for the first time. *fearsweat*
    Yes, Keiichi hallucinated Mion's dead body ramming a nail into his finger. He died of a heart attack.

But interesting you brought that up, I thought that was really creepy as well, so kudos to the fan-sub for choosing to do that. I honestly didn't expect it to happen, so the shock hit hard. Which is funny, my brother actually jumped when it happened when we watched the dub even though the original Japanese is so much better. But meh.

Kinda makes me wish the manga chose a different font for when Mion's body crawled its way up to Keiichi's bed and spoke. Not sure if it would've made the scene any more freaky than it already is. (Shion's hallucination is another story...) I'm just surprised that I'm immune to the creepy drawing, and am no longer freaking out every time I look at it. Before I did, once I noticed her neck was broken, I couldn't open my eyes in the darkness and look at the side of my bed for at least a month.
    I survived Pupa.

The manga was creepy enough at it was. Shmion slowly coming up from under the bed was the scariest thing I've ever read. Except maybe this.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...UYBMOCkfixx7m7

Thank god, it's the morning.

But interesting you brought that up, I thought that was really creepy as well, so kudos to the fan-sub for choosing to do that. I honestly didn't expect it to happen, so the shock hit hard. Which is funny, my brother actually jumped when it happened when we watched the dub even though the original Japanese is so much better. But meh.
    Personally, I found the English dub just as frightening; "Silly boy~!"

Kinda makes me wish the manga chose a different font for when Mion's body crawled its way up to Keiichi's bed and spoke. Not sure if it would've made the scene any more freaky than it already is. (Shion's hallucination is another story...) I'm just surprised that I'm immune to the creepy drawing, and am no longer freaking out every time I look at it. Before I did, once I noticed her neck was broken, I couldn't open my eyes in the darkness and look at the side of my bed for at least a month.
    I honestly didn't even notice she had a broken neck until you told me. I was too busy staring at her eyes...now I can't look my bedside at night without getting scared. Damnit KP! D:

The manga was creepy enough at it was. Shmion slowly coming up from under the bed was the scariest thing I've ever read. Except maybe this.
    HOLY SH*T.

That was the worst thing to read on an iPod. EVER. O_O
    Last edited by Moonlight Amaryllis; 5th February 2013 at 4:25 AM. Reason: TYPOS

Personally, I found the English dub just as frightening; "Silly boy~!"
    Well, Mion and Shion's voice actress is Megan Hollingshead. Her performance wasn't too bad, though I do wish she screamed out "LIAR" better with Shion.

I honestly didn't even notice she had a broken neck until you told me. I was too bust staring at her eyes...now I can't look my bedside at night without getting scared. Damnit KP! D:
    *cackles evilly*

I looked up the story in the link on TV Tropes, which doesn't have a lot of tropes to it. Still don't think I'll look at it... I hate jump scares. Disturbing drawn images I'll become immune to eventually, but not as jump scares. Nope-nope-nope-nope.
    I survived Pupa.

Well, Mion and Shion's voice actress is Megan Hollingshead. Her performance wasn't too bad, though I do wish she screamed out "LIAR" better with Shion.
    Well, that's true. But still, it IS difficult to voice an character who's going insane, especially the Shion Sonozaki kind. Besides, her lines were sometimes better in English than in Japanese; instead of screaming, "USODA!" over and over, it's, "THIS! IS! ALL! YOUR! FAULT! GIVE HIM BACK! GIVE SATOSHI BACK!"

*cackles evilly*
    I hate you. *sulks in a corner and sobs*

I looked up the story in the link on TV Tropes, which doesn't have a lot of tropes to it. Still don't think I'll look at it... I hate jump scares. Disturbing drawn images I'll become immune to eventually, but not as jump scares. Nope-nope-nope-nope.
    If you do not like jumpscares, you are not ready for Ao Oni. That game is the BOSS of jumpscares. O_o

Quote Originally Posted by DarkManager View Post
    Kutie Pie didn't answer, but I will.

In Killing Curse arc. They found her body on the trash and a couple time later they reveal her name. A Tips in the sound novel, someone (I think is Oiishi) said something about Teppei had some problems with money and reveal everything.
    I'm such an idiot.

Ooh, can I have a link? *looks hopeful*

*dies of laughter*

...*turns to Moonlight* Quickly, get the book! I need to see that DX!

But in all serious manner, if they had chosen a font like Chiller or something similar it would've had a better effect. Since I watched Umineko no Naku Koro ni before this, I was fine. LOL

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK- *faints*

My...reaction...exactly...*wheezes*

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Spoiler:- Credit:

Well, that's true. But still, it IS difficult to voice an character who's going insane, especially the Shion Sonozaki kind. Besides, her lines were sometimes better in English than in Japanese; instead of screaming, "USODA!" over and over, it's, "THIS! IS! ALL! YOUR! FAULT! GIVE HIM BACK! GIVE SATOSHI BACK!"
    Depends on the voice actor/actress voicing the insane person. Far as I know, that was Megan Hollingshead's first role as a crazy person who screams a lot. She may have been into voice acting for a long while prior to Geneon dubbing Higurashi, but it's hard to say if she's played similar characters prior to, or even since. I imagine that Satsuki Yukino almost screamed herself unconscious at times recording Eye-Opening arc.

I hate you. *sulks in a corner and sobs*
    Love you too .

If you do not like jumpscares, you are not ready for Ao Oni. That game is the BOSS of jumpscares. O_o
    HA. SCP Containment Breach is better at jumpscares than Ao Oni. Yeah, both have rather quirky models that make it silly after a while, but I was scared silly with SCP Containment Breach more. I also think Corpse Party, while the jumpscares really aren't as prominent, drives the horror home much better than the two combined. I actually find Corpse Party and Higurashi similar in a way, though Corpse Party plays up the gore like up to eleven. That's where most of the horror comes from, next to the psychological factor. I have of yet to determine which visual/sound novel is scarier at night: Corpse Party or Higurashi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    Ooh, can I have a link? *looks hopeful*
    You can. In fact, if you're too poor/cheap to buy the sound novel for yourself and you have lots of time on your hands, the person has a playlist of all of the Higurashi chapters on his channel you can view. Also so you can see just how freakin' long the game is. 140-and-a-half hours. Not even CLANNAD is that long if you don't count the back-tracking you do in some parts.

Since Massacre volume three isn't for another month, for those reading the Yen Press translation of the Umineko manga, you excited for the next volume coming out here in a few days?
    I survived Pupa.

You know, reading the Manga reminds me of suspense/horror novels which you just can't put down. Think James Patterson and R.L. Stine.

Depends on the voice actor/actress voicing the insane person. Far as I know, that was Megan Hollingshead's first role as a crazy person who screams a lot. She may have been into voice acting for a long while prior to Geneon dubbing Higurashi, but it's hard to say if she's played similar characters prior to, or even since. I imagine that Satsuki Yukino almost screamed herself unconscious at times recording Eye-Opening arc.
    You can only scream for so much for so long until you're dead. Best make the most of it

HA. SCP Containment Breach is better at jumpscares than Ao Oni. Yeah, both have rather quirky models that make it silly after a while, but I was scared silly with SCP Containment Breach more. I also think Corpse Party, while the jumpscares really aren't as prominent, drives the horror home much better than the two combined. I actually find Corpse Party and Higurashi similar in a way, though Corpse Party plays up the gore like up to eleven. That's where most of the horror comes from, next to the psychological factor. I have of yet to determine which visual/sound novel is scarier at night: Corpse Party or Higurashi.
    I've never heard of SCP Containment Breach. But urgh, Corpse Party; I saw a playthrough of one of the bad endings and almost vomited in my tiolet. It was just that...ergh, in all its gorey glory. I can take creepy demons eyes and violence, but full blown gore will make me highly disturbed in the noggin for quite a while.

Since Massacre volume three isn't for another month, for those reading the Yen Press translation of the Umineko manga, you excited for the next volume coming out here in a few days?
    I'm honestly not into Umineko was much as I was, but the manga is much better than the anime adaption, so yeah, why not?

You know, reading the Manga reminds me of suspense/horror novels which you just can't put down. Think James Patterson and R.L. Stine.
    Isn't R.L. Stine the fellow who wrote those incredibly lame Goosebumps books?

True but his Fear Street books I liked most of all.

I'm honestly not into Umineko was much as I was, but the manga is much better than the anime adaption, so yeah, why not?
    Anything is better than the anime adaptation.

You can only scream for so much for so long until you're dead. Best make the most of it
    Can't argue. It's because of Higurashi that I'd like to do some screaming roles xD. I unfortunately don't have a sound-booth or a way to soundproof my room, so in the few times I've done it, I do it as quick as possible because I don't want the neighbors to call the police.

I've never heard of SCP Containment Breach. But urgh, Corpse Party; I saw a playthrough of one of the bad endings and almost vomited in my tiolet. It was just that...ergh, in all its gorey glory. I can take creepy demons eyes and violence, but full blown gore will make me highly disturbed in the noggin for quite a while.
    Look up SCP Containment Breach. Your mileage may vary if it's scarier than Slender or not.

The voice acting is amazing in Corpse Party (the voice actress for Pikachu is one of the characters, actually, and she's freakin' amazing), I'm also in love with the characters and story, they're the main reasons I stick with the game. I'm currently almost done with Corpse Party: Book of Shadows 8D. >:3 Which bad ending was it, by the way? Of Blood Covered, I think the cannibalism bad ending is the most disturbing one (though I can't read the description of the scissors in the eyeball without hurting). It took all of my willpower to keep from running out of the room when the sound-effects started.

But yeah, the gore is really squicky, and it's supposed to be. I wouldn't say you get used to it, but it does stay with the mind for a little bit afterwards. They at least don't get too overboard with it, like if someone gets cut in half, the person who finds their two halves will stand in the way of the severed area. But for the most part, you expect to see it. It's actually pretty interesting, I swear a lot of these deaths are plausible, and the descriptions are pretty realistic for what it is. I don't know how realistic, but that says a lot. The plot twist is actually worth the play-through.

I actually won't be too surprised if Ryukishi07 was inspired by Corpse Party, before he created Higurashi, as it was originally for the PC sometime in the '90s.

OMG GOOSEBUMPS ISN'T LAME--yeah, they kinda are, some of them. A few still give me goosebumps *dodges bullet*, but otherwise, it depends on the book you pick up. For the most part, they have pretty clever twist endings. The TV show, while very nostalgic (especially the theme song, mmm...), the acting was really cheesy and very '90s. It's pretty distracting (though the ending to Night of the Living Dummy messed me up for about an hour afterwards, not gonna lie). The Nightmare Room was great, though. The website was really freaky.
    I survived Pupa.

You can. In fact, if you're too poor/cheap to buy the sound novel for yourself and you have lots of time on your hands, the person has a playlist of all of the Higurashi chapters on his channel you can view. Also so you can see just how freakin' long the game is. 140-and-a-half hours. Not even CLANNAD is that long if you don't count the back-tracking you do in some parts.
    OMG THANK YOU

I know what happens in it as I've seen the Japanese copy at my sister's best friend's house. I read through it, and dang I'm really excited. Can't wait until EP4, because I want more Maria and the appearance of Sakutaro

Oooh, James Patterson wrote the Maximum Ride series, right?

*is interested*

Look up SCP Containment Breach. Your mileage may vary if it's scarier than Slender or not.
    LOL Slenderman. It ain't scary.

The voice acting is amazing in Corpse Party (the voice actress for Pikachu is one of the characters, actually, and she's freakin' amazing), I'm also in love with the characters and story, they're the main reasons I stick with the game. I'm currently almost done with Corpse Party: Book of Shadows 8D. >:3 Which bad ending was it, by the way? Of Blood Covered, I think the cannibalism bad ending is the most disturbing one (though I can't read the description of the scissors in the eyeball without hurting). It took all of my willpower to keep from running out of the room when the sound-effects started.
    I'm going to have to search for Corpse Party when I get the chance. I've seen a bit of it around, and it looked pretty interesting. Especially now because of the blood Sorry, I kind of like bloody manga and anime, so don't judge >.< It's okay, KP, I mute the volume when someone starts sticking a finger in a wound with sound effect noises or similar. But I'm trying to keep the volume up so I can quit squirming every single time. Dear Arceus, it's really annoying.

But yeah, the gore is really squicky, and it's supposed to be. I wouldn't say you get used to it, but it does stay with the mind for a little bit afterwards. They at least don't get too overboard with it, like if someone gets cut in half, the person who finds their two halves will stand in the way of the severed area. But for the most part, you expect to see it. It's actually pretty interesting, I swear a lot of these deaths are plausible, and the descriptions are pretty realistic for what it is. I don't know how realistic, but that says a lot. The plot twist is actually worth the play-through.
    Sane censoring. Good job to them, then. I hate it when they censor it to a point when it looks scarier censored (like the beginning of EP2 in Umineko in the church or whatever). Plot twists get me pretty badly, though. I'm surprised and amazed on how the creator can so easily slip something that fits for the whole story in. If you like plot twist, try Witch's House. Best twist ever!

I actually won't be too surprised if Ryukishi07 was inspired by Corpse Party, before he created Higurashi, as it was originally for the PC sometime in the '90s.
    Well, that'd explain the cannibalism scene for sure. *shivers*

Has anyone seen the live action movies of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? If so, what was your thought on it?

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Spoiler:- Credit:

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast