Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Higurashi

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur View Post
    OMG THANK YOU
    Mii~ enjoy, my pretties!

LOL Slenderman. It ain't scary.
    After a while, yeah, he's not scary. SCP Containment Breach still is.

It's okay, KP, I mute the volume when someone starts sticking a finger in a wound with sound effect noises or similar. But I'm trying to keep the volume up so I can quit squirming every single time. Dear Arceus, it's really annoying.
    Then you're going to be squirming a lot with Corpse Party. When really gory moments happen to you in the first game, it cuts to black, and you just get sound-effects and the voice-acting while you're reading the descriptions of an eyeball being stabbed out, of tongues getting cut out, and much, much more.

Just be prepared for jumps scares.

Well, that'd explain the cannibalism scene for sure. *shivers*
    Eh... I'm pretty sure that was taken from actual Japanese legends or something, just twisted around to fit the story.

Has anyone seen the live action movies of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? If so, what was your thought on it?

I still have of yet to watch them. I've avoided them because people say the effects are pretty bad, and the nightmare factor is dulled down because of it. I've also heard things about the actors themselves, but otherwise, I've heard people say it's okay. But I shouldn't listen to them, I should come to my own conclusions. Eventually.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Oooh, James Patterson wrote the Maximum Ride series, right?
    Yup. He sure did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Can't argue. It's because of Higurashi that I'd like to do some screaming roles xD. I unfortunately don't have a sound-booth or a way to soundproof my room, so in the few times I've done it, I do it as quick as possible because I don't want the neighbors to call the police.
    I feel for you. I can't really do that either, so I can't really practice any voice-acting. What a pity.

Look up SCP Containment Breach. Your mileage may vary if it's scarier than Slender or not.
    *snorts* Please, anything is scarier than Slender.

Which bad ending was it, by the way? Of Blood Covered, I think the cannibalism bad ending is the most disturbing one (though I can't read the description of the scissors in the eyeball without hurting). It took all of my willpower to keep from running out of the room when the sound-effects started.
    The sister was stabbed by a knife or scissors in the stomach and died (I can't remember which) and there was heavily implied incest.

But yeah, the gore is really squicky, and it's supposed to be. I wouldn't say you get used to it, but it does stay with the mind for a little bit afterwards. They at least don't get too overboard with it, like if someone gets cut in half, the person who finds their two halves will stand in the way of the severed area. But for the most part, you expect to see it. It's actually pretty interesting, I swear a lot of these deaths are plausible, and the descriptions are pretty realistic for what it is. I don't know how realistic, but that says a lot. The plot twist is actually worth the play-through.
    ...Ew.

OMG GOOSEBUMPS ISN'T LAME--yeah, they kinda are, some of them. A few still give me goosebumps *dodges bullet*, but otherwise, it depends on the book you pick up. For the most part, they have pretty clever twist endings. The TV show, while very nostalgic (especially the theme song, mmm...), the acting was really cheesy and very '90s. It's pretty distracting (though the ending to Night of the Living Dummy messed me up for about an hour afterwards, not gonna lie). The Nightmare Room was great, though. The website was really freaky.
    The ones I read had every chapter ending with a false cliffhanger (save for the last one), and I wasn't very fond of the writing quality and length. I haven't touched the TV show, but I recall seeing a movie before, entitled "Don't Think About It", I believe. I could be wrong, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Bulbasaur
    Has anyone seen the live action movies of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? If so, what was your thought on it?
    I've only seen a few clips, and I've heard everywhere that the acting effects were terrible ("Japan; where fog can magically enter your house."), but my sister (aka you) has told me contrary. I may give it a go sooner or later.

I can't deny the demon eye effect made me indecisive whether to shiver or laugh until I died. (pun intended).
    Last edited by Moonlight Amaryllis; 24th February 2013 at 4:37 AM.

Spoiler:- Some Things:

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Amaryllis View Post
    I feel for you. I can't really do that either, so I can't really practice any voice-acting. What a pity.
    It sucks to be poor XD.

*snorts* Please, anything is scarier than Slender.
    True, true.

The sister was stabbed by a knife or scissors in the stomach and died (I can't remember which) and there was heavily implied incest.
    Oh yeah, that ending. It's a pretty dumb ending, honestly. But hey: in Japan, anything goes.

...Ew.
    It's delicious, though.

The ones I read had every chapter ending with a false cliffhanger (save for the last one), and I wasn't very fond of the writing quality and length. I haven't touched the TV show, but I recall seeing a movie before, entitled "Don't Think About It", I believe. I could be wrong, however.
    I don't recall a Goosebumps movie.

You have to keep in mind these are children's books. Obviously, the writing isn't going to be the best, but I think many of these books were written in first-person, so it makes sense it was going to be simple. Still they were the bomb before Harry Potter came out.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

It sucks to be poor XD.
    And to have lack of privacy.

Oh yeah, that ending. It's a pretty dumb ending, honestly. But hey: in Japan, anything goes.
    It felt...dumb, yes.

It's delicious, though.
    .________.

I don't recall a Goosebumps movie.
    It could have been part of the TV show. It was a part of "The Haunting Hour".

You have to keep in mind these are children's books. Obviously, the writing isn't going to be the best, but I think many of these books were written in first-person, so it makes sense it was going to be simple. Still they were the bomb before Harry Potter came out.
    Still.

Upon realizing that this thread has trailed off track, may I bring up something that I've noticed recently while thinking (not watching; just thinking) about Higurashi; is it just me, or is the insane laughter feel infectionous? I'm not sure about everyone else, but I feel the need to smirk or giggle when Shion or Rena get it going. (OH GAWD THAT SOUNDED WRONG)

Upon realizing that this thread has trailed off track, may I bring up something that I've noticed recently while thinking (not watching; just thinking) about Higurashi; is it just me, or is the insane laughter feel infectionous? I'm not sure about everyone else, but I feel the need to smirk or giggle when Shion or Rena get it going. (OH GAWD THAT SOUNDED WRONG)
    Like when you yawn around people?

It could have been part of the TV show. It was a part of "The Haunting Hour".
    I don't have the Hub, so if it was on sometime in October or something, I missed it then.

is it just me, or is the insane laughter feel infectionous? I'm not sure about everyone else, but I feel the need to smirk or giggle when Shion or Rena get it going.
    For me, it depends. If I watch it by itself like clips or I find audio on random, I get that urge to laugh (because yeah, I want to practice my evil laugh). I actually found Shion's laugh on a website where you can download free ringtones, so that got a laugh out of me, if that counts xD. If I'm watching the show normally and the psychotic laughter comes on, I don't get that urge. It could be because I'm paralyzed with fear, or I'm just so used to it that I'm all, "Yup."
    I survived Pupa.

I've managed to unearth some subs on YouTube for both movies, so I've watched both of them. At night, I tell you. The first one was pretty terrible, except for the ending where we got to see Keiichi slowly dying in the hospital, in his head him playing with Rena and Mion as the "sun" goes down. The second one was much better, and the horror was a hell lot better drawn out; Rena's throat-clawing actually made me squirm a little bit. The schoolhouse scenes when Rena is losing her mind and threating death, and the ending of the arc got me more than the original. For both, however, the acting was terrible and they rushed into a lot of parts too many times. But damn, Oiishi and Teppei's actors were hilarious. XD

It doesn't disturb me, I just laugh along to the point where now every time I laugh at something funny, it sounds like Shion's or Rena's. So then myy friends all look at me funny and I'm all like "LOL wut?"

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†
    Proud fan of Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Like when you yawn around people?
    I suppose, yes.

I don't have the Hub, so if it was on sometime in October or something, I missed it then.
    I didn't see it on the Hub, I rented the DVD around Halloween out of curiousity.

]For me, it depends. If I watch it by itself like clips or I find audio on random, I get that urge to laugh (because yeah, I want to practice my evil laugh). I actually found Shion's laugh on a website where you can download free ringtones, so that got a laugh out of me, if that counts xD. If I'm watching the show normally and the psychotic laughter comes on, I don't get that urge. It could be because I'm paralyzed with fear, or I'm just so used to it that I'm all, "Yup."
    I can't help but grin stupidly whenever I hear it, whether in my head or off of the Tube of You. Luckily, I haven't been caught...yet.

EDIT: In order to keep this thread going...I've recently took a peek at the Massacre Arc at the bookstore while my dad was meandering elsewhere. Oh my...poor Satoko. The anime did not touch up on Satoshi at all during that heart-wrenching phone exchange, not to mention the true fear of Teppei. Thus, I was caught off gaurd by the manga's in-depth analysis. Someone hand over the cleaver, I'm going at Teppei, and I'm not holding back.
    Last edited by Moonlight Amaryllis; 14th March 2013 at 2:29 AM.

In order to keep this thread going...I've recently took a peek at the Massacre Arc at the bookstore while my dad was meandering elsewhere. Oh my...poor Satoko. The anime did not touch up on Satoshi at all during that heart-wrenching phone exchange, not to mention the true fear of Teppei. Thus, I was caught off gaurd by the manga's in-depth analysis. Someone hand over the cleaver, I'm going at Teppei, and I'm not holding back.
    Dude, you have no idea how much I'm with you.

THAT.

Oh God, just that.

If you had to be in ANY character's shoes for a whole day at any particular scene/arc, who would you be and what would you do? Bored, thought I might bring in a weird topic XD

Kolkolkolkolkol...
    Jesus loved us and he even died for our sake. Always remember that God loves you no matter who you are.†

Thanks for bringing up a topic, Ninja ^^.

If you had to be in ANY character's shoes for a whole day at any particular scene/arc, who would you be and what would you do?

I'd like to be on the safe side and be in Mion's shoes during the Curse Killing arc. We never do quite get the answer as to what goes on in between Keiichi killing Teppei and Keiichi confessing to Irie (except I guess in Tips). But I think it was said she ordered the removal of the body and hid it somewhere in the mountains or something, which I guess is something I would do with that power, and to protect a good friend of mine. But I would also try to do everything in my power to get after Teppei before it gets worse, which would probably mean the Massacre arc happens quicker...

But since it's for one day, it would be during the Cotton Drifting Festival in Curse Killing arc.

EDIT: I know this has nothing to do with the manga (though the final volume of Massacre arc is probably out now), but OH MY GOODNESS GUYS THE OLD HIGURASHI IS BACK I'M EXCITED
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 23rd March 2013 at 12:22 AM.
    I survived Pupa.

You and everyone else.

If you had to be in ANY character's shoes for a whole day at any particular scene/arc, who would you be and what would you do?
    That's...actually a tough one. Even though it would be a very...thrilling experience to be a Higurashi character (for lack of a better word), there is just so much you would not want to go through in those worlds. But I suppose it would be interesting to be Satoshi in any of the worlds...just to attempt to stay around a little longer, to prevent the Cotton-Drifting and Eye-Opening from unfolding.

EDIT: I know this has nothing to do with the manga (though the final volume of Massacre arc is probably out now), but OH MY GOODNESS GUYS THE OLD HIGURASHI IS BACK I'M EXCITED
    Holy sweet baby Jesus. I swear I about died from pure happiness upon watching that video! It's finally back!! No more ecchi fanservice; it's back, it is truly back!

But on a sidenote, where is Satoko and Rika?

You and everyone else.
    You take his kneecaps and his thick skull is all mine jk

Holy sweet baby Jesus. I swear I about died from pure happiness upon watching that video! It's finally back!! No more ecchi fanservice; it's back, it is truly back!
    Oh man, I hope a Manga adaptation of it is made (if the Anime doesn't make it to America).

BTW, you know how thriller novels get you hooked and make you turn the page to see what happens even if you may be scared to find out? That's why I love the Manga. I brings me back that feeling when I was reading thriller novels. How it ends with a panel that leaves you hanging so you'll be prompted to turn the page to find: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Zi1j6RKUzHQXU- Yeah.

Do I gush too much about this?

THAT.

Oh God, just that.

If you had to be in ANY character's shoes for a whole day at any particular scene/arc, who would you be and what would you do? Bored, thought I might bring in a weird topic XD
    In the arcs that don't specifically focus on Satako, she's usually pretty safe. I would take any arc that isn't about her, and be Satako. However, if I wanted to be really safe, I would be Hanyu during any of them because she never dies.

If you're looking for a more noble answer, I would be Rika during the eye-opening chapter, and with her fight scene with Shion. This is when Rika became my favorite character.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Thanks for bringing up a topic, Ninja ^^.
    Nano desu~

HOLY OYASHIRO!!!!! Dang, it looks pretty damn intense compared to the other seasons. So, I'm getting that Satoko, Rika, and Satoshi are dead...?

You take his kneecaps and his thick skull is all mine jk
    I call the guts~ *flicks meat cleaver around nonchalantly*

Oh man, I hope a Manga adaptation of it is made (if the Anime doesn't make it to America).

BTW, you know how thriller novels get you hooked and make you turn the page to see what happens even if you may be scared to find out? That's why I love the Manga. I brings me back that feeling when I was reading thriller novels. How it ends with a panel that leaves you hanging so you'll be prompted to turn the page to find: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Zi1j6RKUzHQXU- Yeah.

Do I gush too much about this?
    Manga adaption is hopeful.

No, you don't. You're just saying what everyone else is too lazy to actually say XD

Quote Originally Posted by Plus side down side View Post
    If you're looking for a more noble answer, I would be Rika during the eye-opening chapter, and with her fight scene with Shion. This is when Rika became my favorite character.
    Careful, we're looking at a badass over here

I'd probably say Rena in the Cotton Drifting arc because she doesn't actually die. Either that, or Hanyuu in the Dice Killing (yeah, I know, anime arc) because it's fun.

Kolkolkolkolkol...

Dunno about this question but...

What's a humorous scene you'd like to see?

I've always wanted to see Rika become her creepy adult self at a really bad time.

Like she's playing jump rope and gets tripped up and scrapes her knee and yells, "Goddammit. How could I have been disemboweled, and still have it hurt so goddamn bad?"

And then all the other characters just stare at her.

"Nippah...."

If you're talking about a scene that really happened in the show, then I would want to do the water gun zombie fight, because that looked like a ton of fun.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

What's that picture of? I'm scared to find out.

What's a humorous scene you'd like to see?

In the actual show, when Takano started "nipah"ing and fangirling in Massacre.

What I'd like to see is Keiichi and Mion tumbling down a hill together. Yeah... it's like Princess Bride, but a few years before the actual movie is released in their time.

Oh wait, potential shippy moments don't count... I guess... bah, who cares. They attempted that with the OVAs anyway.
    I survived Pupa.

What's that picture of? I'm scared to find out.
    Don't worry it's just Rena and her famous line.

And I'm referring to funny scenes you'd like to see but had never happened on the show. Like the Rika thing Plus one mentioned.
    Last edited by matt0044; 25th March 2013 at 2:53 AM.

Yup, that makes sense.
    Heck, the reason why Rika doesn't look as devastated as Satoko then is clearly because she knew this would happen much to her displeasure.

I'm wondering if anyone's bought the third volume of Massacre arc yet. I probably won't be getting it until my birthday (hopefully), but I've seen some scans people put up on Tumblr. I really like the portrayal of the end of the arc, it does follow the sound novel well, and it does go in a little bit deeper to the point of a real tragedy. I don't think I actually read all of Massacre arc online, if it's all available, so the scans felt different to me. I dunno. I know what happens at the end, but I'm still gonna prepare myself for that moment since the art style is so beautiful.

So now we wait until June for the beginning of the final arc. I'm excited, I could never find complete scantrons online. So it's going to be glorious. I also hope they translate the Dice-Killing chapter, since it's just a single volume. If they translate more Higurashi stuff, I may go for them as well, but for sure once Festival Accompanying is complete, I'm going straight for Umineko.

Also, OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT COVER IT'S GORGEOUS
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 2nd April 2013 at 11:48 PM.
    I survived Pupa.

I just finished volume three of the Massacre Arc. And what an end it was. Takano went of the super-de-duper deep-end and the truth behind the "volcano-incident" is revealed. The sad part is that I really hoped Rika would get the ending she was shooting for (lol dark humor).

Also before Satoko was... you know..., she was asked whether Broccoli or Cauliflower was green. I believe it was said somewhere that she's colorblind but it's not mentioned here. Also what was up with the time freeze before Keiichi's bite the dust?
    Last edited by matt0044; 19th April 2013 at 12:39 AM.

I just finished volume three of the Massacre Arc. And what an end it was. Takano went of the super-de-duper deep-end and the truth behind the "volcano-incident" is revealed. The sad part is that I really hoped Rika would get the ending she was shooting for.
    But now you understand why it's called "Massacre" arc, pretty much. It's right there in the title, yet many of us just waved it off. Big mistake.

Also before Satoko was... you know..., she was asked whether Broccoli or Cauliflower was green. I believe it was said somewhere that she's colorblind but it's not mentioned here.
    Yeah, it's mentioned in one of the previous arcs, but I can't remember which one--oh wait, Eye-Opening! I remember, because Satoshi's colorblind as well, he had to get help from Shion once because he couldn't tell the difference. See, Ryukishi07 is a genius.

Also what was up with the time freeze before Keiichi's bite the dust?
    I'm not sure myself until I get right down to it, but I guess it was a way for Keiichi to give an epic speech and to also show off Hanyuu's ability (this is a subtle reference to Hanyuu's power, and will also show up in the next arc). Either way, this was in the sound novel as well, though this was left out of the anime for whatever reason.
    I survived Pupa.

But now you understand why it's called "Massacre" arc, pretty much. It's right there in the title, yet many of us just waved it off. Big mistake.
    I know but... still...

Yeah, it's mentioned in one of the previous arcs, but I can't remember which one--oh wait, Eye-Opening! I remember, because Satoshi's colorblind as well, he had to get help from Shion once because he couldn't tell the difference.
    Oh yeah.

See, Ryukishi07 is a genius.
    Tell me something I don't know. As an aspiring writer, I admire him greatly.

I'm not sure myself until I get right down to it, but I guess it was a way for Keiichi to give an epic speech and to also show off Hanyuu's ability (this is a subtle reference to Hanyuu's power, and will also show up in the next arc). Either way, this was in the sound novel as well, though this was left out of the anime for whatever reason.
    At least Hanyuu was kind enough to let Keiichi bid farewell. If only she could've froze time for everyone but them...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast