Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Higurashi

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Amaryllis View Post
    I had trouble taking Keiichi's lecture about not murdering people rather hypocritical, because he killed someone in a previous arc without anyone else's consent...(or was that a hallucination?)
    He didn't know at the time. Once he got the visions/flashbacks later in the arc, he was horrified and vowed to save Rena from such a fate.

If she turned herself in, I personally think she still would've gone insane, because people get arrested for murder, and she might get locked up in an insane asylum because of her reasoning for killing. Her father might the her forever, and she might blame her friends for it, and promptly break out and seek revenge. This is Higurashi; someone has to have their button pushed to the point of explosion.
    Perhaps. It's hinted at the Demon's Screenplay (I think that's the name of the TIPS), or the follow-up to Atonement arc that Rena may have had repressed memories while she was being treated. She could have snapped at any point in time during the briefing. Meanwhile, in Beyond Midnight, it's revealed that Rena blew up the schoolhouse with her and everyone else in it--thus a very tragic world.

So either way, something bad would've happened, usually to Rika being killed.

Just a little. I'm sorry, but Takano is one of my least favorite characters in the series. Granted, she does have a reason for being such a life-destroyer, but that doesn't justify her actions at all. I'm sure that had to be another way to prove her point without killing anybody...
    Perhaps, but she was getting very desperate. She couldn't think straight at the time because...

Spoiler:- spoiler twist:
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Well, he doesn't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    He didn't know at the time. Once he got the visions/flashbacks later in the arc, he was horrified and vowed to save Rena from such a fate.
    Alright, alright, but still...

Perhaps. It's hinted at the Demon's Screenplay (I think that's the name of the TIPS), or the follow-up to Atonement arc that Rena may have had repressed memories while she was being treated. She could have snapped at any point in time during the briefing. Meanwhile, in Beyond Midnight, it's revealed that Rena blew up the schoolhouse with her and everyone else in it--thus a very tragic world.
    Rena herself is a tragic, misunderstood character, and can be seen as more or less the icon of Higurashi. More often than not, she plays a very important role in each of the arcs to carry the story along.

So either way, something bad would've happened, usually to Rika being killed.
    ...by Rena.

Perhaps, but she was getting very desperate. She couldn't think straight at the time because...

Spoiler:- spoiler twist:
    Aw, cheese! That's news to me; I don't remember that at all...

Spoiler:- Some Things:

Rena herself is a tragic, misunderstood character, and can be seen as more or less the icon of Higurashi. More often than not, she plays a very important role in each of the arcs to carry the story along.
    Ryukishi07 I believe said that he considered Rena the main character of the series, or at least the iconic character. She's on pretty much nearly all of the covers of the sound novel, and the body language on the covers pretty much tells you what the arc is going to be like, in a way. I still have of yet to know why she's such an iconic character, but it could be because most of the important parts of Higurashi that happens is because of her. Atonement arc is considered one of the most important arcs next to Massacre and Festival Accompanying. After all, we get the twist in Atonement arc, and possibly one of the best climaxes in Higurashi.

...by Rena.
    XD It's possible in one world Rena killed Rika. Rika did hint in Atonement arc that "it's not the first time I've dealt with her", which suggests that she may have been killed by her at least once.

You know, I've always wondered if Demoned Away arc was the first world or not...

Aw, cheese! That's news to me; I don't remember that at all...
    Really? It was revealed on the very last episode in the anime, and in the sound novel (which suggests also in the manga). She actually begins to scratch at her neck during her freakout.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

You know, I've always wondered if Demoned Away arc was the first world or not...
    Rika's behavior in the end (jaded over seeing this tragic outcome. Heck, she was probably dreading that day) and her words to a distraught Satoko indicated that there've been more before.

Rika's behavior in the end (jaded over seeing this tragic outcome. Heck, she was probably dreading that day) and her words to a distraught Satoko indicated that there've been more before.
    You know, I wonder what the first world was like and what Rika's reaction was when she was first murdered. I doubt she knew Hanyuu was going to send her into different worlds even though we know she's been around Rika her entire life. Though judging from how Rika acted in the beginning of the Massacre arc, perhaps part of her goes through that denial, and thus Frederica shows up to tell her. She's done it so many times, she has the speech pretty much memorized, and yet in a sick, gleeful way, she enjoys telling Rika about it. I don't think there was a moment where she wasn't smiling or not being a bit of a smartass.

So many questions... you would think that for an answer arc, we'd get answers to everything, but guess not. But at least we have fan fiction XD.
    I survived Pupa.

I can't read that, it's too small and blurry... but I don't think I've seen a Higurashi shout-out in Pokémon fan-art before. Except for maybe that one .gif on the Pokémon Memes where a smiling Misty is covered in blood and is spreading it around...

Anyhoo... the price for the Festival Accompanying arc volume keeps rising >_>. So are the rest of the volumes going to reach the fifteen-dollar range in the end? It kinda makes sense, but still...
    I survived Pupa.

Just search for Yandere Gardevior.

Ryukishi07 I believe said that he considered Rena the main character of the series, or at least the iconic character. She's on pretty much nearly all of the covers of the sound novel, and the body language on the covers pretty much tells you what the arc is going to be like, in a way. I still have of yet to know why she's such an iconic character, but it could be because most of the important parts of Higurashi that happens is because of her. Atonement arc is considered one of the most important arcs next to Massacre and Festival Accompanying. After all, we get the twist in Atonement arc, and possibly one of the best climaxes in Higurashi.
    I doubt the plots would stay the same or move in their proper direction without her. I mean, she was a huge part of Keiichi's hallucinations at times, and she was the one who forced him to apologize to "Mion"...She also made a very clear point to him when she tried to comfort Satoko...I would go on, but you get the idea.

XD It's possible in one world Rena killed Rika. Rika did hint in Atonement arc that "it's not the first time I've dealt with her", which suggests that she may have been killed by her at least once.
    She's probably killed everyone at least once...

...I...I'm not sure...

Really? It was revealed on the very last episode in the anime, and in the sound novel (which suggests also in the manga). She actually begins to scratch at her neck during her freakout.
    Oh yeah! Now I remember. Sorry, I haven't looked at anything related to When They Cry in a pretty long time, so...

You know, I wonder what the first world was like and what Rika's reaction was when she was first murdered. I doubt she knew Hanyuu was going to send her into different worlds even though we know she's been around Rika her entire life. Though judging from how Rika acted in the beginning of the Massacre arc, perhaps part of her goes through that denial, and thus Frederica shows up to tell her. She's done it so many times, she has the speech pretty much memorized, and yet in a sick, gleeful way, she enjoys telling Rika about it. I don't think there was a moment where she wasn't smiling or not being a bit of a smartass.
    Wasn't Rika once as cute and innocent as we believed her to be? She wasn't always dark and cynical.

So many questions... you would think that for an answer arc, we'd get answers to everything, but guess not. But at least we have fan fiction XD.
    *insert Fluttershy's cheer*

I can't read that, it's too small and blurry... but I don't think I've seen a Higurashi shout-out in Pokémon fan-art before. Except for maybe that one .gif on the Pokémon Memes where a smiling Misty is covered in blood and is spreading it around...
    We weren't supposed to speak of that.

Anyhoo... the price for the Festival Accompanying arc volume keeps rising >_>. So are the rest of the volumes going to reach the fifteen-dollar range in the end? It kinda makes sense, but still...
    It might hop up to twenty...

I doubt the plots would stay the same or move in their proper direction without her. I mean, she was a huge part of Keiichi's hallucinations at times, and she was the one who forced him to apologize to "Mion"...She also made a very clear point to him when she tried to comfort Satoko...I would go on, but you get the idea.
    Perhaps, but then someone else would've taken her place. It was either Rena or another character.

She's probably killed everyone at least once...
    When she blew up the schoolhouse, yeah, she did.

...I...I'm not sure...
    Then again, it's hinted in the manga that it might not have been the first world...

Wasn't Rika once as cute and innocent as we believed her to be? She wasn't always dark and cynical.
    Very possible. She's been a nine-ten-year-old for a hundred years, though her mind's matured, in a way. Which is odd as she wouldn't have the right hormones to handle such a mature mindset...

...wait, what?

We weren't supposed to speak of that.
    Since when ._.?

It might hop up to twenty...
    Not on Amazon, no. It also appears to have come to a stop or something. It's almost fifteen dollars right now, and it'll be released next week. Speaking of which, the preorders should be shipped out here very soon, if not by now. I half-expect to come back to my grandparents' on Sunday evening to find my copy on my desk.

Hauuuuu, why can't it come sooner...

EDIT: Lol, oh wow! Just checked Amazon right now, and the first Massacre arc volume has fifteen left in stock! Hell, almost all of the Higurashi volumes are running low on stock! It's like they can't refill the stock fast enough for the orders! Best-selling manga for sure!
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 20th June 2013 at 8:02 PM.
    I survived Pupa.

Perhaps, but then someone else would've taken her place. It was either Rena or another character.
    Who, then?

Then again, it's hinted in the manga that it might not have been the first world...
    But it's one of four worlds they mention...

Very possible. She's been a nine-ten-year-old for a hundred years, though her mind's matured, in a way. Which is odd as she wouldn't have the right hormones to handle such a mature mindset...

...wait, what?
    What're you doin', KP?

Since when ._.?
    Since I said so.

Not on Amazon, no. It also appears to have come to a stop or something. It's almost fifteen dollars right now, and it'll be released next week. Speaking of which, the preorders should be shipped out here very soon, if not by now. I half-expect to come back to my grandparents' on Sunday evening to find my copy on my desk.

Hauuuuu, why can't it come sooner...
    Just wait patiently, and rant on this thread while you wait.

About the last part, I think it applies to Forsaken's twentieth chapter
    Last edited by Moonlight Amaryllis; 10th July 2013 at 8:36 PM. Reason: WORLDS NOT WORDS

PLol, oh wow! Just checked Amazon right now, and the first Massacre arc volume has fifteen left in stock! Hell, almost all of the Higurashi volumes are running low on stock! It's like they can't refill the stock fast enough for the orders! Best-selling manga for sure!
    Hope there's a copy at Barnes and Noble or Forbidden Planet when I got to NYC.

I think we need a topic here...so...roleplay time!

Let's say you moved to Hinamizawa, and befriended the club. When horrible things go down, what do you do?

My Higurashi volume came in the mail today 83! I'm so excited to read it now! I'm thinking on taking it to class with me so I can read it when I get a break. I've been looking forward to it for so long, hauuuu~!

Let's say you moved to Hinamizawa, and befriended the club. When horrible things go down, what do you do?

*shrugs* Just go with the flow, I guess. I don't really know how to respond to that, because unless Fate calls for it, I can't always be the hero(ine). I imagine I could be subjected to the Syndrome at least once, and when it comes to me, you know shit is going down when I do something horribly out of line, paranoia included. So... yeah, I could end up being part of it all instead of just in the background like I'd like to. Depends on what Frederica wants.
    I survived Pupa.

My Higurashi volume came in the mail today 83! I'm so excited to read it now! I'm thinking on taking it to class with me so I can read it when I get a break. I've been looking forward to it for so long, hauuuu~!
    Let's hope no one looks over your shoulder and questions what you're reading.

*shrugs* Just go with the flow, I guess. I don't really know how to respond to that, because unless Fate calls for it, I can't always be the hero(ine). I imagine I could be subjected to the Syndrome at least once, and when it comes to me, you know shit is going down when I do something horribly out of line, paranoia included. So... yeah, I could end up being part of it all instead of just in the background like I'd like to. Depends on what Frederica wants.
    I'm asking if you had a choice, would you try to save everyone, or do you think you're more likely to go insane? I mean, you know yourself best, what would you do?

Let's hope no one looks over your shoulder and questions what you're reading.
    I think people have, but it's college, no one cares. I was even reading it in the car, and Papa didn't say anything. Really, the gore was maybe not even a fifth of the whole volume. It was mostly dialogue and psychological stuff.

It also made you more sympathetic to Takano, and love Irie even more. Really, we get Irie's side of the story in this volume (which is volume two normally), and I realized I really did like him as a character. Ryukishi07 kinda made his character up as he went along with the story, and realized that there was deeper meaning behind the whole maid fetish. He became goofy for a laugh.

I'm asking if you had a choice, would you try to save everyone, or do you think you're more likely to go insane? I mean, you know yourself best, what would you do?
    It could go either way for me, honestly. Depending on what happens, I could remain sane, or I could mentally lose it. I have days where I'm positive that if something awful happens, I can go insane from that point on. So with that and my personality on most days, I could fit well into the universe of Higurashi. Hell, I had a freaky dream about a year ago where I killed someone in self-defense, but I went insane over it because I didn't know if I still sinned or not. (Yeah, it was around the time of my Higurashi obsession... I scare myself sometimes.)

So yeah, that's why I couldn't think of anything and said "Go with the flow."
    I survived Pupa.

I've been wondering what'd happen if Higurashi was dubbed in the vein of 4kids/DiC. By dubbed I mean voices and dialogue and not editing. What with cheesy jokes, poor attempts at genuine drama (undermined by things like Lull Destruction, one dimensional acting and dialogue that sounds meant for first graders) and such. Horrifying thought, yes, yet my morbid curiosity eats at me.

Funnily enough, someone thought the same thing, and made this.

So am I the only one here who has all the Higurashi volumes thus far? I was hoping we'd get a bit of discussion on the new volume...
    I survived Pupa.

Funnily enough, someone thought the same thing, and made this.
    I saw that. Pretty cool. Though I was thinking of 4kids trying to stay true to Higurahi (gore and all; assuming they could) but ruining it with cheesy vocal deliveries and corny dialogue (remember the various friendship speeches in Higurashi? Yeah...). As in So Bad, It's Good.

Got volume 22. I stopped at the part where lightening flashes and the page goes white. Takano's past was... beyond traumatic. And I thought Satoko's struggles were hard to stomach.

Got volume 22. I stopped at the part where lightening flashes and the page goes white. Takano's past was... beyond traumatic. And I thought Satoko's struggles were hard to stomach.
    Dude, you don't even know the half of it. Keep going. Seriously. It may be a hard chapter to read, but this volume was worth the wait.
    I survived Pupa.

Dude, you don't even know the half of it. Keep going. Seriously. It may be a hard chapter to read, but this volume was worth the wait.
    I suspect as much. Knowing Higurashi, I'm only scratching the surface of the heartache and the brutality. One way or another, Ryukishi07 always catches me off guard and I love that. Seriously, the horror movie genre NEEDS writers like him who KNOW how to truly thrill and chill people.

Edit: Finished the next chapter and once again, Higurashi redefines the meaning of "disturbing" and "atrocity." Heck, those words are far too soft in describing what Takano endured. To say that those guys were the scumbags to end all scumbags would get them to say, "Thanks, we try our very best to be the worst humanity has to offer."

To sum up my reaction: https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images...ad6a1728ce.png

And I have gain new respect for Irie that I never thought I'd have.
    Last edited by matt0044; 7th July 2013 at 10:11 PM.

Edit: Finished the next chapter and once again, Higurashi redefines the meaning of "disturbing" and "atrocity." Heck, those words are far too soft in describing what Takano endured. To say that those guys were the scumbags to end all scumbags would get them to say, "Thanks, we try our very best to be the worst humanity has to offer."
    Yeah, they really downplayed them in the anime. Which I'm not sure is a good thing or not.

And I have gain new respect for Irie that I never thought I'd have.
    I don't think the anime did him much justice either (my memory on the anime's take on Festival Accompanying has always been fuzzy), so when I read the manga scans online some time back, I had developed a love for Irie I didn't know existed. He truly is amazing.

I swear, Ryukishi07 did some massive research for this story. I don't know how completely accurate everything is, especially what Irie does as a brain surgeon and researcher, but I'll be damned if these scenarios aren't plausible in real life. If the events of Salem Witch Trials could be explained with fungus that grows on grain, then it's possible behavior changes and other things that involves the brain can be explained as such, whether with head injuries, parasites, or what.

Come on, if the murders in Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro can be feasible, then so can the events of Higurashi. Minus a god moving souls to other worlds for a different outcome... maybe.
    I survived Pupa.

Yeah, they really downplayed them in the anime. Which I'm not sure is a good thing or not.
    Can't say I blame them. I needed a moment to let the brutality of it all sink in.

And I wonder how that institution employs people. Imagine if they happened to get one with a shred of human decency.

And I wonder how that institution employs people. Imagine if they happened to get one with a shred of human decency.
    I personally think they were soldiers during WWII--from the style of clothes to how they acted. The Holocaust and the Nazis were awful, but Japan had their share of awfulness as well. The war that was mentioned in the volume was the Second Sino-Japanese War, which happened around WWII, so it's possible they were involved in that particular war (they looked old enough to have served in that war as young men given the timeline Miyo Takano grew up in). And I've only just now done a brief research on Wikipedia that mostly involved skimming, but the Second Sino-Japanese War was pretty awful. I'm surprised that we don't learn of this when we get to learn in World History about other wars that were just as bad, or not as bad.

So something tells me that everything they did in that institution was the result of being involved in the war--if not performed those awful methods themselves or having it been performed on them as POWs.

I'm sure that the Second Sino-Japanese War is taught in Japanese schools, so Ryukishi07 would've naturally learned of it, but damn. We're getting a little history lesson here, that's awesome.
    I survived Pupa.

I'm sure that the Second Sino-Japanese War is taught in Japanese schools, so Ryukishi07 would've naturally learned of it, but damn. We're getting a little history lesson here, that's awesome.
    Who says Manga can't be educational?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast