Thread: Dawn's Mamoswine the most disrespected main character powerhouse?

Default Dawn's Mamoswine the most disrespected main character powerhouse?

Ever since it evolved it has almost constantly been used as the fall guy and has to my knowledge only one win vs an actual trainer's pokemon. Excluding ice chandelier as it was pachirisu who struck the final blow. It is usedas the fall guy at every possible opportunity and is constantly getting beaten up by almost all of its opponents and is often portrayed with the defenses of a paper bag. Especially vs zoey aggron and in BW2. No other powerhouse of a main character has ever been treated this badly!

inb4Torterra

Quote Originally Posted by Bisharp View Post
    inb4Torterra
    At least the writers cared enough to make torterra lose to very powerful opponents and even then after putting up a fight. Mamoswine just has its defense and attack toned all the way Down sonit never appears powerful. And lets not forget going as far as to remove its electric immunity for no reason.

I think the problem is all its Contest wins have been in double battles, like the final Ursula one and in the Grand Festival.

We never really saw it alone win a full powerhouse battle.

I agree that Mamoswine could've gotten a decent singles win in DP, but hey at least it was used in BW2 against Pignite and D-nite. Can't say the same about all Dawn's pokes.

It seems like the partial Ground types never utilize their Ground typing. Both Torterra and Mamoswine never used a Ground type move in their fully evolved forms (okay, Mamoswine apparently used Dig at some point as a Swinub or whatever, but everyone uses Dig). And with Earthquake being somewhat banned from the anime, it seems like partial Ground types will always be fighting at half power.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Mamswine was completely useless. The only main thing we see it do is Ice Shard and AncientPower.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Mamswine was completely useless. The only main thing we see it do is Ice Shard and AncientPower.
    It made a better landing cushion than battler.

Mamoswine wasn't a powerhouse.

I'm unaware of this (due to having not seen D/P), but I noticed that in the beginning of the Zoroark movie, she sent out her Mamoswine, and it did nothing. It just stood there and glared at the... what were they, Houndoom, Houndour? Whichever canine it was surrounding Zorua. I nearly did a "WTF" take after she called it back and went "Good job". What was really the point of sending out a Pokémon you're not going to use? And Mamoswine never showed up in the rest of the film... unless it showed up in the climax and I just don't remember. And even then, if it did show up in the climax, it did absolutely-freaking-nothing.

So I can kinda see the disrespected part here judging from that alone.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

To be honest, I don't even remember Mamoswine losing. I need to rewatch the series, because if everyone is saying the same thing, then it must be bad. Because, Mamoswine or/and Togekiss have to serve as Dawn's powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKurama View Post
    To be honest, I don't even remember Mamoswine losing. I need to rewatch the series, because if everyone is saying the same thing, then it must be bad. Because, Mamoswine or/and Togekiss have to serve as Dawn's powerhouse.
    There was aggron, Jame's carnivine, zeoy's kirlia(total BS fight), BW 2 >__> off the top of my head. There's probably more. There's also the fact that it has KOd less pokemon onscreen than May's skitty.

I don't even remember Mamoswine battling. If it was not for the size I'd forget she even had one XD
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/343spx0.jpg[/IMG]

Mamoswine spent a good chunk of its run not battling because it didn't obey Dawn similar to Charizard.

It lost its first Contest battle to James, then its only wins are in double battles in the Ursula Contest and Grand Festival. I do think it battled a bit in some fillers which I can't remember though.

Mamoswine gets off pretty easy compared to Togekiss. Mamoswine was basically a Charizard clone. It was a happy and obedient Swinub. Then when it evolved it stopped listening in it's evolved two stages. I don't see why it's disrespected. It was complimented alot. Especially now with the way Dragonite's been getting off with slaps on the rists.

My ideal battle ever!

Since I don't really count Togekiss as a Dawn Pokemon, it is odd that Dawn's one fully evolved powerhouse didn't take center stage like most fully evolved Pokemon do on a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Mamoswine gets off pretty easy compared to Togekiss. Mamoswine was basically a Charizard clone. It was a happy and obedient Swinub. Then when it evolved it stopped listening in it's evolved two stages. I don't see why it's disrespected. It was complimented alot. Especially now with the way Dragonite's been getting off with slaps on the rists.
    I view togekiss like i do May's venusaur it's probably powerful, but we'll never know how powerful due to lack of screentime. I find it frustrating that Mamoswine was shown to be the most powerful member of her team but yet has such a pathetic battle record. Even if we got one throwaway filler where Mamoswine completely dominated like the double trouble header with charizard and I would have been completely satisfied.

Didn't Mamoswine battle a little bit in the movies?

Mamoswine's battle track record isn't great because A: It's trainer was a Coordinator, therefore she didn't get many outside battles and by the time Mamoswine started listening, Dawn was getting shoved to the back by Ash and Paul's time demanding story. B: She's not the main character so the development of her Pokemon are not as good as Ash's, despite what many complain about Ash and Dawn were not equal's in everything. This is why Mamoswine didn't get Charizard treatment. Charizard was a big deal because it was Ash's Pokemon and he is the only one who matters. Dawn was replaceable. But for a Contest Pokemon Mamoswine was alright in it's double battles, at least Dawn found a role to put it in and since Sinnoh contest were trying to break away from raw battles it was impossible for it to have a sheer muscle battle. I don't know why people don't see that.

With that said after the butchering of BW2 Mamoswine doesn't even feel like a powerhouse anymore, just a jobbing punching bag you use to train against. Mamoswine was decent in DP but beyond that he's probably in Torterra's level. I think Piplup is the real powerhouse of that team. Maybe when Quilava evolves it can take Mamoswine's place. After all as a Typhlosion it has a strong chance of getting starter bias.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I view togekiss like i do May's venusaur it's probably powerful, but we'll never know how powerful due to lack of screentime. I find it frustrating that Mamoswine was shown to be the most powerful member of her team but yet has such a pathetic battle record. Even if we got one throwaway filler where Mamoswine completely dominated like the double trouble header with charizard and I would have been completely satisfied.
    But the thing about Venusaur is that people got upset because none of Ash's other two Pokemon besides Charizard never got any further than their original forms. Togekiss wasn't to replace anything. Ambipom was basically hoggin the show from both Ash and Dawn's teams. So I think that's why it had to go.

As far as Mamoswine is concerned, it was never really a powerhouse. It just was strong whenever it went on his little tanturms.

My ideal battle ever!

If Ash had Mamoswine it would have obviously been shown as a powerhouse on his DP team. Since Dawn had it however we didn't get to see it do as much as we hoped.

I'm kind of disappointed, actually. Her first 3 Pokemon were obviously just designed to be cute plushes which is why none of them evolved, but Mamoswine was supposed to be the big beast to counter that. Cyndaquil was just a last minute promotion and its evo happened after Dawn left the cast and Togekiss was just pointless in general.

When DP first started I thought Dawn was gearing up to have the best team of all the main girls, but the writers left the first 3 Pokemon the same and Mamoswine didn't get to star as much as it should have.

First of all Swinub was ugly and so was it's other evolutions, so it had to evolve. Pachirisu(excuse spelling) couldn't evolve, Piplup was a mascot and Buneary was eye candy. Mamoswine is disrespecting by some because they keep comparing them to Charizard. It's good that other trainers have problems with their Pokemon like Ash did. It gives him a break sometimes.

My ideal battle ever!