Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think Of Tobias?

Quote Originally Posted by Masterge77 View Post
    To me, Tobias was essentially an excuse from the writers to get to Unova faster, I mean, there was NO buildup to his appearance for one, and the fact he has legendaries is never explained.
    Why should he explain how he caught his pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by octopusG44 View Post
    Why should he explain how he caught his pokemon?
    Because, many fans wonder how he has a Darkrai and Latios, and wonder what his other Pokemon are.

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKurama View Post
    Because, many fans wonder how he has a Darkrai and Latios, and wonder what his other Pokemon are.
    My opinion

He sent out a pokeyman, battled Latios and caught it in a pokeyball then used Latios to catch Darkrai.

He's just a strong trainer. :|

My opinion

He sent out a pokeyman, battled Latios and caught it in a pokeyball then used Latios to catch Darkrai.

He's just a strong trainer. :|
    He could have bonded with them too.

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKurama View Post
    He could have bonded with them too.
    Okay, sure why not?

Yes but none of that was mentioned onscreen. Its even worse considering just how much training we've seen ash do over the course of sinnoh and managing to defeat Paul the anime version of the EV trainer its like breaking down a brick wall only to find a steel wall behind it.

This guy below had a lot to say on Tobias and his episode in general. Check it:

http://jygersrant.wordpress.com/2012...ontier-review/

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post

Holy crap.

I don't think anything in pokemon has ever pissed me off THAT much. Someone needs to take a pill. xD

I respect his opinion, although I don't agree with it. Tobias wasn't all that bad. At least he showed how strong Ash was for being able to defeat DEMrai. And I obviously don't agree with what he said about Iris.
    Last edited by WhyHelloThere; 28th September 2012 at 6:33 PM.

For those of us who can't/don't want to see the rant itself, what does he say about both points?

Quote Originally Posted by Seijiro Mafuné View Post
    For those of us who can't/don't want to see the rant itself, what does he say about both points?
    He had a lot to say about Tobias. Basically it's what most fans say about him. "Noob with a cheating device," "Probably has four Magikarp," "The writers are going to keep giving us the same crap year after year instead of Ash winning the league," "Bad ending," stuff like that.

Although he admitted Pikachu's battle against Latios was awesome.

He said Trip was a rookie and Iris acts like everyone is in diapers compared to her.

Tobais is old news now. Now that the league is coming, I wish that someone like him was in the legaue instead of these kiddy reject rivals we have now.

My ideal battle ever!

He said Trip was a rookie and Iris acts like everyone is in diapers compared to her.
    Well, Trip technically is (should be) and Iris called practically everyone a kid (how young said kid is up to what she meant) which is annoying (dub or sub for me). Plus, he said Tobias wasn't awful but his biggest flaws are how his character and Darkrai are never explained or given backstory and he's a far more blatant plot device than past league rivals.

Honestly, Jyger's right about if (from an in-universe standpoint) Tobias hadn't entered the league, Ash would've likely made it to the finals and actually won. Hell, judging by there being two episodes left in the series, it's likely the writers had to conclude the Sinnoh League then and there to prepare for Best Wishes. Had they had more time, Tobias wouldn't have been created at all in all likelihood.

Again, I don't hate Tobias but I do hate why he was created.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

I have 3 things to say about him :

1. Anime creators SHOULD'VE showed all his Pokemon because they knew we are gonna be curious ( HECK , Let Ash beat those legendaries and lose to the last one )
    I bet he had a Deoxys

2. I lost faith in the Anime when they told us there was only one darkrai in sinnoh at the island , but i think there are other darkrai's OUTSIDE sinnoh after seeing the Kanto pokemon in East Sinnoh episode.

3. Ash lost against a cheater(game-wise ) but still he had an excuse he couldnt win. If Tobias didnt had those legends , he would be toast. Ash didnt had his Charizard and Infernape ( and others ) and Anime-wise Ash would have won that fight with all his Pokemon he used in Kanto , Johto and Frontier.

Honestly, Jyger's right about if (from an in-universe standpoint) Tobias hadn't entered the league, Ash would've likely made it to the finals and actually won. Hell, judging by there being two episodes left in the series, it's likely the writers had to conclude the Sinnoh League then and there to prepare for Best Wishes. Had they had more time, Tobias wouldn't have been created at all in all likelihood.
    If it was a matter of running out of time, they probably wouldn't have given three episodes to Ash versus Paul. I don't think that's it.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing, guy was too annoying...
    Pokemon White Version:
    Pokemon Black Version:

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    If it was a matter of running out of time, they probably wouldn't have given three episodes to Ash versus Paul. I don't think that's it.
    Well, Ash and Paul had a rivalry that was leading up to this so they couldn't really rush the battle. And if you how long the Sinnoh League is and how rushed it seems, it becomes evident that it was a matter of time and they seemed bend on timing the premiere of Best Wishes with BW's release.

Well, Ash and Paul had a rivalry that was leading up to this so they couldn't really rush the battle. And if you how long the Sinnoh League is and how rushed it seems, it becomes evident that it was a matter of time and they seemed bend on timing the premiere of Best Wishes with BW's release.
    They always coordinate the start of a new season with the release of the games it's based on. And what about the Sinnoh league was rushed besides the battle against Tobias?

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    They always coordinate the start of a new season with the release of the games it's based on. And what about the Sinnoh league was rushed besides the battle against Tobias?
    There were few episode that indicate that the writers had waste too many episodes on fillers when they reached the SL and the tournament kinda gave off a vibe of "Next Gen's coming! Hurry up and finish this series up!" Yeah, it was likely coordinated but the rushed and cramped nature of the SL occurred likely during planning.

I think that they only created Tobias to beat Ash. If he wasn't there, Ash could have won the Sinnoh League.
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

Well, there was still two people who could have beaten him.

He's a Gary-Stu.

He's not even a character, he's just a plot device. He did not need to be in the Sinnoh League at all, he was just there as a roadblock to stop Ash from winning, and even then, Ash should have beat him if the writers knew what they were doing. His win was really undeserved, Ash deserved to win the Sinnoh League, Tobias should not have been allowed to use Legendaries.

I am not a big fan of Tobias. They made him way to powerful and he was only created so Ash would lose the league. I much rather would have seen how Ash would win the league and challenge the elite four.

Same here, didn't they build up Ash taking on the Elite Four? What a waste -_-

We know that are rushing, at least for DP standards. But not only because the Tobias battle but because the skipped battle and the skipped preliminaries.

One thing is when the episodes air, of course that for a long time that they know about BW (is producing until Pikachu learning Electro Ball, for example). But when the writers know exactly when Gen V began (apart from official delay that didn't happen), I think that they are like the Bertha episode. Basically because if the writers know where Best Wishes started we don't have that gap. And is one of the reason why Ash doesn't go to Pallet town until the very end (the opther is the "fresh start" at the start of BW)

But the writers already hyped the Paul battle, and they want to be spectacular and give 3 episodes. And they give Ash vs Paul three episodes, the longest that any battle in 15 years has been. But then we have to defeat Ash quickly because we could made only three episodes until Best Wishes. And they need to see farewell anything but Ash and TR. And then became Tobias.

Sightly off-topic: The abscene of Gen V in the anime apart from the Zoroark was a starategy that when Ash goes to Unova we notice the constrast between Unova dn other region like Sinnoh. Like a shock to the viewers. Because if they want, could give a GF or a League to a new Gen V Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucario Fan View Post
    I think that they only created Tobias to beat Ash. If he wasn't there, Ash could have won the Sinnoh League.
    Nah he would have just lost to heatran. I think he was the fourth member of the top 4, with Ash, the magmortar dude, and TROLLbias

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast