Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 62 of 62

Thread: What Do You Think Of Tobias?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    He is obviously inspired by the people who play the games with cheats and legendaries instead of playing the game like most do.
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/343spx0.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thenightmareinducer16 View Post
    Same here, didn't they build up Ash taking on the Elite Four? What a waste -_-
    I've realized now that when Elite Four members get shown on this show doesn't mean jack squat to Ash even if he was to win a league or not.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 6th October 2012 at 4:30 PM.

    My ideal battle ever!

  3. #53

    Default

    ^Same, I don't even know why they waste their potential.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35

    Default

    I Wouldn't of minded If Ash actually used a few better Pokemon. Toarkoal? Really.

    Should've Been This:

    Darkrai v Heracross: Darkrai
    Darkrai v Sceptile: Sceptile
    Latios v Sceptile: Latios
    Latios v Swellow: Latios
    Latios v Charizard: Charizard
    Latias v Charizard: Latias
    Latias v Bulbasaur: Bulbasaur
    Entei v Bulbasaur: Entei
    Entei v Pikachu: Tie

    Something like this would've been Better IMO, but I Didn't really mind it how it went. Tobias was just the writers way of getting rid of Ash because they wasted to much time on filler.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    543

    Default

    That was an epic battle. He should return in the anime. I would love to see the rest of his team, could they all be legendary O_O

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    140

    Default

    I understand why people don't like Tobias but I disagree. In response to people saying he was a cheap way to make Ash loose the league, I disagree. The writers could have easily made a trainer who is normal but just simply stronger than Ash such as Tyson or Harrison. If there is any league loss I'm annoyed about, it's the Indigo League. Anyways I thought Tobias was a great character. His voice was awesome, he was mysterious and was respectful to Ash. I'd love to see him return.
    1st X run:

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimH8 View Post
    I understand why people don't like Tobias but I disagree. In response to people saying he was a cheap way to make Ash loose the league, I disagree. The writers could have easily made a trainer who is normal but just simply stronger than Ash such as Tyson or Harrison. If there is any league loss I'm annoyed about, it's the Indigo League. Anyways I thought Tobias was a great character. His voice was awesome, he was mysterious and was respectful to Ash. I'd love to see him return.
    My issue with him is that he's a guy with TWO (as far as we know) legendaries and we know diddly squat about how he acquired them. No flashback, no passing mention, not ever a freaking hand wave. With a character like him that has incredibly rare and powerful Pokemon, we want to know more about him but we get little about him. After "The Semi-Final Frontier," he's practically wiped from existence. It just screams "plot device" to me and not even the good, forgivable kind.

    I'm fine with you disagreeing and liking the guy. To a degree, I like him too being mysterious and all. I just hate how his character was used like this. In a different story that truly explored him properly, I'd like him more.

    You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I'm just here to present what seems to be a minority opinion, but first I am tired of people claiming that Tobias was not a character and only a plot device. Tobias most certainly was a character, maybe not a very relatable character but claiming he is only a plot device is akin to claiming that when you watch a show you watch that show for the plot. If you did you might realize that there are only so many plots tat can be used effectively, hence why every plot will always be reused. The real reason why you watch a show is for the characters.

    Now with the short amount of time Tobias had I can see why people can't relate to him and therefore don't like him. In terms of plot however one does not need to know any of his back story in order to understand the episode or the character. Tobias' character is that of an extremely powerful and skilled trainer who is very confident in his abilities. The goal of the character is to win the Sinnoh League. He keeps an air of mystery about himself.

    I can see why people want back story but when I watched that rant posted a few pages back I got incredibly angry. You don't need any back story to understand the character or the story. Providing a flashback would be useless. If you want reference as to how useless then look at the Reshiram/Zekrom movies where the main villain quotes his mother and then flashes back to his mother saying the same exact quote. Its not needed and it wasted fifteen seconds that could have been used in a more important part of the film.

    Its also three in the morning so I'm sorry if these thoughts seem disjointed.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,081

    Default

    ^Okay, I admit that Tobias isn't a bad character per say. But again, where the hell did he get those legendaries? Those aren't just rare Pokemon, they are Pokemon who's very existence was once questionable. Hence, they're called legendaries. If Tobias got his hand on two of those elusive Pokemon, then dammit, I want to know. But we don't. The writers had no time as they had to get set for BW.

    I just wouldn't hate him so much if not for that glaring plot hole. Maybe you don't need a flashback for everything but in the case of Tobias's legendaries, it is needed quite frankly.

    You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Dynamo View Post
    That was an epic battle. He should return in the anime. I would love to see the rest of his team, could they all be legendary O_O
    I agree. But I don't think they will show any past league plot devices again. They did that with Richie and I hated it.

    My ideal battle ever!

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by insanityhand View Post
    I'm just here to present what seems to be a minority opinion, but first I am tired of people claiming that Tobias was not a character and only a plot device. Tobias most certainly was a character, maybe not a very relatable character but claiming he is only a plot device is akin to claiming that when you watch a show you watch that show for the plot. If you did you might realize that there are only so many plots tat can be used effectively, hence why every plot will always be reused. The real reason why you watch a show is for the characters.

    Now with the short amount of time Tobias had I can see why people can't relate to him and therefore don't like him. In terms of plot however one does not need to know any of his back story in order to understand the episode or the character. Tobias' character is that of an extremely powerful and skilled trainer who is very confident in his abilities. The goal of the character is to win the Sinnoh League. He keeps an air of mystery about himself.

    I can see why people want back story but when I watched that rant posted a few pages back I got incredibly angry. You don't need any back story to understand the character or the story. Providing a flashback would be useless. If you want reference as to how useless then look at the Reshiram/Zekrom movies where the main villain quotes his mother and then flashes back to his mother saying the same exact quote. Its not needed and it wasted fifteen seconds that could have been used in a more important part of the film.

    Its also three in the morning so I'm sorry if these thoughts seem disjointed.
    This, basically. Tobias was intended to be a mysterious, powerful character- filling out his backstory would have defeated the point.

    And how exactly is him having legendaries a "huge gaping plot hole"? We've seen people who've befriended legendaries to use in battle before- Tobias just happens to keep them in Pokeballs. We can assume that he battled and caught them, or that he bonded with them and they decided to go battle with him... whatever you like. The way he obtained them does not affect the plot of the Sinnoh league at all. If it's not part of the plot, its disinclusion can't be a plot hole by definition, right?


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    And how exactly is him having legendaries a "huge gaping plot hole"? We've seen people who've befriended legendaries to use in battle before- Tobias just happens to keep them in Pokeballs. We can assume that he battled and caught them, or that he bonded with them and they decided to go battle with him... whatever you like. The way he obtained them does not affect the plot of the Sinnoh league at all. If it's not part of the plot, its disinclusion can't be a plot hole by definition, right?
    BECAUSE THEY ARE LEGENDARIES! They aren't like a Ratatta or even a Dragonite. They are Pokemon who humans question the existence of (hence the moniker of "legendary") and they're beyond rare. And you'd think that a Trainer with two or more legendaries would garner more attention and practically be talked about across Sinnoh because of how he has two (or more) Pokemon that every single Trainer in the damn Pokemon world can only DREAM of obtaining. Everyone of them would try to figure out where he got them from, how, and so on. And while you may have a point about him being mysterious, what annoys me is how said mystery is never solved. Because when a guy like him shows up with two legendaries and no explanation as to how, you want to know. And that's what bugs me about Tobias.

    And said people who have befriended legendaries on the show aren't exactly shown every episode. More like once in a while or for a special occasion. So you can't use that as a defense when they're a practically featured on the show once in a blue moon.
    Last edited by matt0044; 6th October 2012 at 8:08 PM.

    You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •