Thread: The Next Handheld

Default The Next Handheld

Yeah, even though it's like, three years away, I just wanted to tell you guys a mini rant.

So, the DS was awesome right? Well, so was the GB line.

Nintendo's given a desicion:

A: Make the best one screened handheld ever, with a touch screen/mic.

B: Make a new DS with graphics like GCN, better Touch screen/Mic.

If they don't make it a two screen, they might not get as many sales. But if they DO make another two screen, they might not get as many sales for repeated material.
    Nyeh.

The DS is going to stick around for the while. The rule so far has pretty much been one handheld per console.
    SNES - Game Boy
    N64 - Game Boy Color
    GCN - Game Boy Advance
    Wii - NDS

I figure when they launch another Game Boy (which they will), It'll either connect to the Wii or the next console. The DS is good enough to sit for a while.
    My Favorite Pokémon

another DS but with better graphics would kick *** and the DS lite Design...besides you know that the next handheld will need two screens one touch and one none and a mic but i'd like to see a joystick added to the next one..

Those don't sound like good ideas & graphics are dumb anyway.

I think they should have a...

Why is'nt the spoiler tag woprking? :\ anyway I think they should have a mtion sencative stylus
    I have Pokemon Pearl and Pokemon Battle Revolution

Also: If I don't register you as a friend/answer your PM its because I am very busy so I am very sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by WiiRevolution1 View Post
    I think they should have a motion sencative stylus
    That would get rid of the whold point of the Touch Screen, though.
    Graphics have always been a big part of consoles, so improving them would be great, but a one-screened handheld with a TS is a bit of a worry..
    IF THERE ARE ANY AUSTRALIANS WILLING TO SELL ME A WORKING, DS COMPATIBLE WIRELESS ROUTER, PM ME.

Quote Originally Posted by Staf View Post
    The DS is going to stick around for the while. The rule so far has pretty much been one handheld per console.
    SNES - Game Boy
    N64 - Game Boy Color
    GCN - Game Boy Advance
    Wii - NDS

I figure when they launch another Game Boy (which they will), It'll either connect to the Wii or the next console. The DS is good enough to sit for a while.
    That was with little competition though, if Sony decide to make a new PSP, Nintendo will be straight behindthem following up with a new handheld

I doubt Nintendo would go back to Gameboy-style handhelds. The DS can do everything a new gameboy would do, plus more. Why go back to one screen when having two screens is better?

Well, Nintendo DID say that the DS was their third pillar, not a game boy replacement. So, I am also curious as to what they are going to do next.

I agree that going back to a normal GB after the DS would be a bit strange, but, hey. Nintendo would know what they are doing.
    Wanna chat? Just add me to your msn or AIM.
    I claim Brook/ Gentelman Skeleton in the Bishie thread (version 3.0)

It'll be just the Wii and the DS for quite a while, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kez
    Well, Nintendo DID say that the DS was their third pillar, not a game boy replacement. So, I am also curious as to what they are going to do next.
    Actually, no they didn't. It was a mis-translated quote from Satoru Iwata that was actually referring to the Gameboy Micro. Whether it's the end of the "Gameboy Era", I do not know but Nintendo will certainly be going along similar lines to the DS route in the future.

Yes, the Gameboy is the most successful console of all time but it has been around for almost a decade so it's had the oppurtunity to. The DS has been phenomally successful and has attracted new audiences. Nintendo will want to keep that.

What I expect then?

Well, you can say graphics aren't important but Nintendo will address them. And there will be very innovative features and a little bit more focus on multimedia... Not too much mind, but a little. An in-built MP3 player, perhaps. It will probably go back to one screen but touch screen or both screens touch screen and will have a further innovative feature. My guess would be in-built motion sensors but who knows really?

But, it's a very long way down the line. Let's just talk about Wii and DS for now, eh?
    It returns...
    Are you looking forward to it?

Heh. The next Portable? Virtual Boy 2, with color LCD Glasses that fit in any sunglass case. Controllers would be Powerglove-based, with Gyros and accelerometers.

Porygon Z * Weavel * Lucario * Skarmory * Yonowaaru * Blissey
    Charge beam * Ice Pebble * Dark Pulse * Feather Rest * Pain Split * Heal Bell
    Ice Beam * Blade Test * Dragon Pulse * Counter * Substitute * Softboiled
    HP: Flying * Ice Punch * Luster Cannon * Spikes * Rest * Counter
    Dark Pulse * Focus Punch * In Fight * Roar * Ice Punch * Charge Beam

Quote Originally Posted by Kaid View Post
    Heh. The next Portable? Virtual Boy 2, with color LCD Glasses that fit in any sunglass case. Controllers would be Powerglove-based, with Gyros and accelerometers.

NO!!! THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!

Anyway, the VB was the worst flop ever. It caused eye strain, headaches, etc. Not only that, but it also required the user to be isolated DURING gameplay, thus killing any social interaction... So if Nintendo gave its next handheld a name based on THAT name, people will look at it as "Another Virtural Boy? I don't want to take a chance. If the VB caused seizures, motion sickness, and the like, I don't want to buy this Virtual Boy successor!"...

Sorry, Kaid. Looks like you have to realize this: The DS is NOT a console that requires you to sit on a desk, where interaction is not likely. Not only that, but remember that the Virtual Boy, unlike the DS, required you having to look up close inside the lens just to play it? I hope you know what the risks are of lens-based video game systems, and the extra gear it requires if there's such a workaround such as sunglasses, not to mention the other risks of such a console, which include eye strain...

But what does the DS require? It requires only you and your pocket/someplace else that can hold the system... Not to mention that you can carry it around, and at least the colors are not too much for the eyes to handle, and they're not so bright, and TWO screens? I expect Nintendo to retire the Game Boy line after seeing the DS's success, and what better way to do it than mark Pokemon Diamond/Pearl's release w/ a Game Boy line retirement ceremony of sorts... Of course, that would mean pulling the retired handheld along with all related games, or in this case, the GBASP, out of store shelves, but hey, that's the way it works when a 1st party video game company revokes making games for any console or handheld...
    Last edited by gregjammer; 9th October 2006 at 4:16 AM.
    My D/P FC: 4255-0421-2254
    My Pt FC: 2450-0507-5436(old)
    My HG FC:3524-8966-7093(old)
    My black FC: 0691-4324-8351
    My black 2 FC: 3440-0907-8860
    My Y FC: 4038-6458-7352

it will be the nintendo 3ds, goodbye i must return to the future

[CENTER]
    Future Soul Silver Team

Don't bump threads older than 30 days, especially when they're from 2006. B|
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)