Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ace Attorney series

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Geez, man, you already beat the game? You surely were rushing through it because I just started Case 3.
    What can I say, I have a keen sense of logic and it was good, albiet a bit short, especially the last case. Much shorter compared to previous final cases I believe.

Case 3 is probably the longest one though, throws ya for quite the loop, its all over the place.
    Last edited by Recon; 27th October 2013 at 6:03 AM.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

I'm liking the fact that they give you different mechanics with which to pursue the cases. Athena's emotion reader, Ace's wristband...at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the Psyche-locks back honestly. I must say the cutscenes are a bit darker then I had thought they would be, but the flashbacks especially make me very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrantrum View Post
    I'm liking the fact that they give you different mechanics with which to pursue the cases. Athena's emotion reader, Ace's wristband...at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the Psyche-locks back honestly. I must say the cutscenes are a bit darker then I had thought they would be, but the flashbacks especially make me very excited.
        Spoiler:- Magatama:

Anyway, I beat the game yesterday, and I'd like to share some thoughts:

- The cases in general started off good. Case One was good quality when compared to the other first cases, Two and Three have got to be some of my favourites in the series (a combination of fun mysteries, twists and likeable defendants and witnesses - I generally like the filler cases anyway)... but it started slipping in Four and Five.
    - As said before, I liked a good majority of the characters. Defendants on the whole were good, Athena was fairly good compared to other assistants although a little too perfect (more on that), and while I had problems picking a favourite prosecutor in the past, I ended up liking Simon more than I thought I would.
    - I liked the Mood Matrix, it was used just enough and in the right ways.
    - I never played Apollo Justice (though now I'm planning on getting it) but Perceive was fun.
    - Music was okay, only a few standout themes though (examination theme was very good though).
    - I liked playing as everyone for a bit, but considering the game had only five cases, it didn't feel like. Had long enough with everyone.

Okay, onto the spoiler stuff:

Spoiler:- Whole game spoilers - beware!:

Who cares about cookies? Come to the Light Side, we have CUPCAKES!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Dream Code: 7100-3458-5872

OK, I just watched some videos of Dual Destinies on Youtube, and I just have one thing to say (particularly about Prosecutor Blackquill): I think I have finally found a prosecutor who gives me the creeps even more so than Manfred von Karma did. I mean, at least Manfred didn't right-out tell you to shut up whenever he objects ( Blackquill's "SILENCE!" instead of "OBJECTION!").

Y'know, after thinking it over a bit, I think I've figured out the main problems with the final case.

Spoiler:- Many AA games, not just Dual Destinies:

Would anybody recommend Dual Destinies?

I've heard it is pretty good, but TBH it looks pretty short- basically is the Ł20 asking price justifiable?

Thanks!
    Too much water guys!

Quote Originally Posted by tomatohater View Post

I've heard it is pretty good, but TBH it looks pretty short- basically is the Ł20 asking price justifiable?

Thanks!
    I'd simply suggest do what I do when I'm wondering about whether a game's worth buying. I simply look up gameplay videos of it on Youtube. And yes, DD looks to be an AWESOME game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreaterLucario View Post
    I'd simply suggest do what I do when I'm wondering about whether a game's worth buying. I simply look up gameplay videos of it on Youtube. And yes, DD looks to be an AWESOME game.
    Except looking up this game is a poor choice as it's the story you're playing with.

As for my opinion, I think it's a good enough game to enjoy from the get go, but it's suggested that you have played the first games first.

Quote Originally Posted by tomatohater View Post

Thanks!
    It's very good. What you have to remember is that Ace Attorney is less of a game and more of an interactive mystery novel, so you tend to judge the game based on quality of cases and the cast before anything else. This game has a lot of twists in the cases and generally good quality cases overall for Ace Attorney, and in my opinion, one of the better casts (I don't really have a character introduced here that I outright dislike).

If you haven't played an Ace Attorney game before, it may be better to try one of the earlier ones before so you can understand what's going on a little better. There wouldn't be a huge problem starting with Dual Destinies, but there are references and appearances to older characters and events in it.

Got to the final case now. I haven't looked at any spoilers and so far each twist has hit me with its full impact. I'm liking it so far.

Finally! Can't wait. This sounds like it might be a good one.

...Is it bad that it bothers me less that the killer whale has a moustache and more that said killer whale has a moustache despite being a girl?

Anyways, after thinking it over again, I can pin down my list of games in order of how I like them and why:

Spoiler:- Mentions of final cases - nothing too specific:

Basically, the first game has the best cases, Dual Destinies has the best cast, Trials and Tribulations is fairly good but not spectacular at both, Justice for All is alright - half good and half bland, and I found Investigations to just really be lacking.

So, what are your thoughts as to how the games rank?
    Last edited by Chibi_Muffin; 15th November 2013 at 5:08 PM.

I've been wanting to get into this series for a while. I played the Dual Destinies demo and kinda enjoyed it. One question, is there any replayability or something to extend playtime in the games? I hear that the games are rather short.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    I've been wanting to get into this series for a while. I played the Dual Destinies demo and kinda enjoyed it. One question, is there any replayability or something to extend playtime in the games? I hear that the games are rather short.
    Because this is a dialogue-driven game, you can try to explore all dialogue choices to see what witty comments the characters make.

Like for example showing your attorney's badge to everyone you meet.

Tomorrow, Turnabout Reclaimed goes live, people.

Turnabout Reclaimed is out and it's priced at Ł3.99, €4.99 or $5.99, meaning that the online prices are priced with reasonable exchange rates for once! *cough*Pokémon Bank*cough*

Spoiler:- Minor Day 1:
    Last edited by Blazios; 21st November 2013 at 5:03 PM.

Will be playing it in a bit! So excited. This is the kind of DLC I'm happy to pay for (as it's giving me more game - it's a bonus rather than necessary, but still adding to the experience). Defending a killer... whale sounds really fun.

Also, some discussion points just to liven things up a little:

What is your favourite and least favourite case?

How would you rank the games you have played in the series?

If you could change one thing in any case you want, what would it be?

Do you prefer the Magatama, Percieve or Mood Matrix?

How would you rank the prosecutors?

Who is your favourite and least favourite assistant?

What is your favourite breakdown?

Will be giving my own opinions later.

Edit: Played some of the opening investigation now. This is fun! Also, yay Pearly (with a voice!) and Psyche-Locks. As well as the reactions to the whale-defendin'.
    Last edited by Chibi_Muffin; 21st November 2013 at 8:44 PM.

The Ace Attorney games on iOS are only $5! Decided to buy it and I'm just about to start the court portion of Turnabout Samurai.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:

Spoiler:- Claimed Anime Songs/Anime List:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow XD001 View Post
    The Ace Attorney games on iOS are only $5! Decided to buy it and I'm just about to start the court portion of Turnabout Samurai.
    If memory serves, that was Case 3 in the first game, right?

I've always wanted to play this series, but never really understood what type of game it was. Which game out of the series would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by HAKnSLASH View Post
    I've always wanted to play this series, but never really understood what type of game it was. Which game out of the series would you recommend?
    This series is best played from the very beginning. Do it from anywhere else and the narrative will sound less appealing if you backtrack.

raymanfan1 has posted an update about the fan translation for AAI2. (I'm desperate enough to play a fan translation of that).

Note (just in case): localisation, translation and insertion are three different steps.
    The order is:
    Translation (coherent)
    Localisation (making it look like an AA game)
    Insertion (Putting it in the game, making it match up with all the screen shakes and flashes and 'ding!'s and text speeds etc.)

Case 3 - everything is fully localised and inserted. All that remains before case 3 is 'finished' is insertion of English voices (voice actors for which haven't been decided on just yet, polls are open) and more testing. Always with the testing.

Case 4 - Preliminary localisation completely finished. Finalized localisation about 75% finished (other 25% is being checked or needs to be checked). Most of what has been finalised is either already inserted or is being inserted currently.

Case 5 - completely translated, barring one testimony. Translations get checked by a second translator before localisation on that file begins, about 75% of the checks are done. Localisation is beginning on case 5, at a glance I'd guess around... 15% complete.

AFAIK, all graphics have been translated and inserted in all cases (e.g. signs, objection bubbles)

Case 4 and 5 voices are beginning to enter the periphery. Typos from cases 1 and 2 will be fixed in the next patch, whatever that may contain.

RELEASE DATE STUFF, OR NOT: I know full well I'm inciting release date speculation. I can't say anything on the subject (broken promises and all that jazz), meaning that anything ITT on that subject is simply that - speculation.
    I can say, however, that the boss is pretty set on releasing the rest of the game all at once, so do not take my report on case 3's progress to mean that it's coming very soon. I can give him feedback on that front from this topic if you guys want me to. FYI, case 3 is pretty stand-alone (and very long), but you DO NOT want cases 4 and 5 separately. Trust me on that.
    ---

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234