Thread: Pokemon Blue- In game team.

Default Pokemon Blue- In game team.

I was hoping some people could review my team and offer some suggestions for me. Also, I've just beat my rival after the 8th gym. I don't intend to do any competitive battling, just would like advice for defeating the elite four and champion. Can't trade with other games also.

Venusaur: Level 38
    Razor leaf
    Body slam
    Swords dance
    Solarbeam

Snorlax: Level 39
    Body slam
    Psychic
    Amnesia
    Earthquake

Gyarados: Level 38
    Surf
    Ice beam/Blizzard
    Fire blast
    Strength

Fearow: Level 39 (This is the pokemon/moveset I'm most unsure of)
    Fly
    Fury attack?
    Drill peck?
    Take down

Jolteon: Level 39
    Thundershock
    Double edge
    Quick attack?
    Double team?

I haven't been able to find a sixth pokemon to use in my team so far, as I feel like I have decent type coverage. If you have any move changes and new team member suggestions for me it'd be very much appreciated.

Venusaur: Swords Dance is pretty useless on it, since Razor Leaf and SolarBeam are special moves. Only Body Slam deals more damage when you use it. You should keep Razor Leaf and Body Slam. Get rid of SolarBeam (Razor Leaf has 100% Crit chance) and Swords Dance, replace them by Sleep Powder and Leech Seed.

Snorlax: Snorlax's Special stat is pretty horrible (Amnesia isn't worth it), so get rid of Psychic and Amnesia and replace it by Rest (Snorlax can always be awakened with the Poké Flute) and Submission/Rock Slide

Gyarados: Fine.

Fearow: Are you sure of using Fearow? I mean, if you want a flying-type Pokémon like that you can use Dodrio or Pidgeot or even Dragonite. But yea, if you really want to use Fearow: Use Double-Edge in stead of Take Down, it's like a better version of it. Drill Peck > Fly, but if you really want Fly: fine. If you have Drill Peck/Fly and Double-Edge, you already have 2 solid moves. So add Mirror Move and Toxic.

Jolteon: Thunderbolt in stead of Thundershock. Thundershock sucks, if you can't get Thunderbolt, I think Thunder will do better. Double-Edge is fine (Take Down if you can't get Double-Edge anymore). Thunder Wave could be useful too so use that. And aditionally add Double Team.

New Member: A Psychic-type Pokémon! Psychic-types are absolutely overpowered in this generation, since no type can resist it there (Dark and Steel can, but they don't exist yet) and it's weak to Ghost (Only ghosts are Gastly/Haunter/Gengar, which are weak to Psychic) and Bug (worst Pokémon).
    If you don't mind using Legendary Pokémon, use Mewtwo:

Mewtwo
    - Psychic
    - Amnesia
    - Recover
    - Whatever you want: Fire Blast? Metronome?

If you don't want to use Legendary Pokémon, use Alakazam:

Alakazam
    - Psychic
    - Recover
    - Something (doesn't really matter)

I am proud of this comment :P
    Click on these Pokémon to make them happy and healthy!:

Spoiler:- Credits:

Pokémon Red Water-monotype challenge team:

Pokémon Emerald Water-monotype challenge team:
    Pokémon Fire Red Nuzlocke challenge team:

Sword Dance is pretty useless for Razor Leaf and Solarbeam because they are Special Attack. If you still have the TM teach it Toxic instead of Sword Dance

Don't see any problems with Snorlax or Gyarados

Fearow is okay but if you decide to go with Fearow then give it Drill Peck. I'd go with Dodrio or Dragonite for a Flying/Dragon if your not in a hurry.

Jolteon needs lot's of work. Replace Thundershock with Thunderbolt, Quick Attack with Thunderwave.

For your 6th Pokemon try a Psychic, Rock/Ground, Ghost, or Fire.
    Alakazam is good, so is Gengar, Sandslash is pretty good also is the Nido's, and Ninetales/Arcanine or Magmar.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Music & Musicians Alliance Club

Quote Originally Posted by Lucario01 View Post
    Venusaur: Swords Dance is pretty useless on it, since Razor Leaf and SolarBeam are special moves. Only Body Slam deals more damage when you use it. You should keep Razor Leaf and Body Slam. Get rid of SolarBeam (Razor Leaf has 100% Crit chance) and Swords Dance, replace them by Sleep Powder and Leech Seed.

Snorlax: Snorlax's Special stat is pretty horrible (Amnesia isn't worth it), so get rid of Psychic and Amnesia and replace it by Rest (Snorlax can always be awakened with the Poké Flute) and Submission/Rock Slide

Gyarados: Fine.

Fearow: Are you sure of using Fearow? I mean, if you want a flying-type Pokémon like that you can use Dodrio or Pidgeot or even Dragonite. But yea, if you really want to use Fearow: Use Double-Edge in stead of Take Down, it's like a better version of it. Drill Peck > Fly, but if you really want Fly: fine. If you have Drill Peck/Fly and Double-Edge, you already have 2 solid moves. So add Mirror Move and Toxic.

Jolteon: Thunderbolt in stead of Thundershock. Thundershock sucks, if you can't get Thunderbolt, I think Thunder will do better. Double-Edge is fine (Take Down if you can't get Double-Edge anymore). Thunder Wave could be useful too so use that. And aditionally add Double Team.

New Member: A Psychic-type Pokémon! Psychic-types are absolutely overpowered in this generation, since no type can resist it there (Dark and Steel can, but they don't exist yet) and it's weak to Ghost (Only ghosts are Gastly/Haunter/Gengar, which are weak to Psychic) and Bug (worst Pokémon).
    If you don't mind using Legendary Pokémon, use Mewtwo:

Mewtwo
    - Psychic
    - Amnesia
    - Recover
    - Whatever you want: Fire Blast? Metronome?

If you don't want to use Legendary Pokémon, use Alakazam:

Alakazam
    - Psychic
    - Recover

I am proud of this comment :P
    Thanks a lot for that. I'll change up the move sets. However I'm pre e4, so I can't get mew two, and can't trade, so there goes alakazam too.

Is it worth getting a kadabra or should I go for a magmar/rapidash instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Siu View Post
    I was hoping some people could review my team and offer some suggestions for me. Also, I've just beat my rival after the 8th gym. I don't intend to do any competitive battling, just would like advice for defeating the elite four and champion. Can't trade with other games also.

Venusaur: Level 38
    Razor leaf
    Body slam
    Swords dance
    Solarbeam
    Whilst Swords Dance doesn't power up the grass type moves, it does power up Body Slam. Regardless of any other decisions, you'll eventually want to put Sleep Powder over Solar Beam (lv 55). Sleep negates the use of Toxic, as you cant have conflicting status afflictions. Which brings us back to the BS/SD issue. Body Slam is going to do a lot of damage if it's boosted by Swords Dance, it'll do a fair bit of damage without the boost too. So keeping or replacing Swords Dance is your prerogative. Toxic is a choice, but so is Substitute or Double Team.

Snorlax: Level 39
    Body slam
    Psychic
    Amnesia
    Earthquake
    Snorlax is a tank, don't waste it with special moves when you have plenty of other pokemon filling that niche. Get rid of Psychic and Amnesia. Use Hyper Beam to fill one of the slots (if you KO a pokemon with Hyper Beam then you wont have to recharge), in your last slt you have two choices. If you want Snorlax to be reused over and over then give it Rest, but keep in mind that wasting two turns to send it to sleep then wake it up isn't always going to be to your benefit; say for instance you get hit by two powerful attacks in the to turns, then your HP is down to half before you've even attacked; the other option of course is Self Destruct. The power of the attack, combined with Snorlax' Attack stat and STAB is going to KO just about any non-Rock or Ghost pokemon.

Gyarados: Level 38
    Surf
    Ice beam/Blizzard
    Fire blast
    Strength
    Blizzard. Strength is fine, you can't do anything about that now anyway. Loose Fire Blast for Thunder. You're not going to get anything with Fire Blast that you can't get with your other attacks anyway (Except Jynx, but why have one move for one pokemon?). Thunder isn't as accurate as it could be, but it'll do hefty damage when it strikes,.

Fearow: Level 39 (This is the pokemon/moveset I'm most unsure of)
    Fly
    Fury attack?
    Drill peck?
    Take down
    If you were wlling to replace it, then use Dodrio. Effectively, Dodrio is Fearow, just with better attack. Their movepools are almost identical. So whichever you choose, go with; Fly, Drill Peck, Reflect/Double Team, Toxic/Hyper Beam

Jolteon: Level 39
    Thundershock
    Double edge
    Quick attack?
    Double team?
    Thunderbolt is better than Shock, but as mentioned, if you don't have access to it, then use Thunder instead. If the latter is the case, then you'll need to defend Jolteon a little more so it survives long enough to attack. Give it Thunder Wave (lv 40) to keep it faster than the opponent, keep Double Team and go for Reflect in the final spot. Jolteon doesn't have that much going for him. Great Speed and special, but limited movepool to put it to good use.

I haven't been able to find a sixth pokemon to use in my team so far, as I feel like I have decent type coverage. If you have any move changes and new team member suggestions for me it'd be very much appreciated.
    A Psychic or Rock/Ground type would be ideal. Psychics generally have good Special Stats, so will do a lot of damage with their attacks. Ground types offer you an immunity to Electric (though you wont really need that against the Elite Four), whilst Rock types will have a higher defence against physical attacks.

For Psychics, you have a few good choices:
    Kadabra/Alakazam - 'Zam would be ideal, but its requirement of a trade to evolve is annoying if that option isn't available to you. I know it was never available to me. Kadabra is just as useable, but if you find it failing in battle, then it's likely attributed to it's lower stats. Ideal set; Psychic, Recover, Thunder Wave, Seismic Toss
    Hypno - My personal choice. Hypno has all-round good stats, and have a better HP, attack and defence than the 'Zam family, just not as fast. Ideal set: Psychic, Thunder Wave, Substitute, Seismic Toss/Rest
    Jynx - Yes, Good old Lola. Though you have to put up with the fast that she has a terrible nickname inspired by a Kinks song about transsexuals (this may or may not be true), she's pretty handy in battle. You also have the benefit of her levelling up faster. You may need to ply her with a few stat boosts (Zinc, Calclium and the like) to pump her up a little. Ideal set: Blizzard, Lovely Kiss, Psychic, Seismic Toss

For Ground types, you have the following:
    Nidoking/Queen - Easy to find, quick to raise. Either one is acceptable, 'King has better Attack and Speed, 'Queen has better HP and Defence. Their moves are interchangeable, but the poison type gives them an added resistant to Grass. Ideal set: Rock Slide, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Double Edge/Body Slam/Seismic Toss/Submission
    Graveler/Golem - You face the same issue here as you do with Kadabra and Alakazam. Ideal set: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Submission, Explosion
    Rhydon - Rhydon is the pro's choice in competitive battling. I wont give you that set, as it requires knowing when to use it, but Rhydon gives you all the bases you'd want covered with a Rock/Ground type. Ideal set: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Body Slam, Substitute/Double Team
    Dugtrio - Dugtrio is different to most ground types as it has relatively poor attack. What it does have though, is speed. In the First Gen, it's the only pokemon that can really pull off Fissure. The attack is a bit of a wild-card, it's not always going to work, but in a tight spot, it could make or break a battle. Ideal set: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Double Team, Fissure/Substitute

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Dugtrio - Dugtrio is different to most ground types as it has relatively poor attack. What it does have though, is speed. In the First Gen, it's the only pokemon that can really pull off Fissure. The attack is a bit of a wild-card, it's not always going to work, but in a tight spot, it could make or break a battle. Ideal set: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Double Team, Fissure/Substitute
    Totally forgot about Fissure Dugtrio, after one X Accuracy Fissure has a very high chance (100%?) of hitting. Since Dugtrio has incredibly high speed, it can solo whoever you want, like Blue.
    Click on these Pokémon to make them happy and healthy!:

Spoiler:- Credits:

Pokémon Red Water-monotype challenge team:

Pokémon Emerald Water-monotype challenge team:
    Pokémon Fire Red Nuzlocke challenge team:

Whilst Swords Dance doesn't power up the grass type moves, it does power up Body Slam. Regardless of any other decisions, you'll eventually want to put Sleep Powder over Solar Beam (lv 55). Sleep negates the use of Toxic, as you cant have conflicting status afflictions. Which brings us back to the BS/SD issue. Body Slam is going to do a lot of damage if it's boosted by Swords Dance, it'll do a fair bit of damage without the boost too. So keeping or replacing Swords Dance is your prerogative. Toxic is a choice, but so is Substitute or Double Team.

Snorlax is a tank, don't waste it with special moves when you have plenty of other pokemon filling that niche. Get rid of Psychic and Amnesia. Use Hyper Beam to fill one of the slots (if you KO a pokemon with Hyper Beam then you wont have to recharge), in your last slt you have two choices. If you want Snorlax to be reused over and over then give it Rest, but keep in mind that wasting two turns to send it to sleep then wake it up isn't always going to be to your benefit; say for instance you get hit by two powerful attacks in the to turns, then your HP is down to half before you've even attacked; the other option of course is Self Destruct. The power of the attack, combined with Snorlax' Attack stat and STAB is going to KO just about any non-Rock or Ghost pokemon.

Blizzard. Strength is fine, you can't do anything about that now anyway. Loose Fire Blast for Thunder. You're not going to get anything with Fire Blast that you can't get with your other attacks anyway (Except Jynx, but why have one move for one pokemon?). Thunder isn't as accurate as it could be, but it'll do hefty damage when it strikes,.

If you were wlling to replace it, then use Dodrio. Effectively, Dodrio is Fearow, just with better attack. Their movepools are almost identical. So whichever you choose, go with; Fly, Drill Peck, Reflect/Double Team, Toxic/Hyper Beam

Thunderbolt is better than Shock, but as mentioned, if you don't have access to it, then use Thunder instead. If the latter is the case, then you'll need to defend Jolteon a little more so it survives long enough to attack. Give it Thunder Wave (lv 40) to keep it faster than the opponent, keep Double Team and go for Reflect in the final spot. Jolteon doesn't have that much going for him. Great Speed and special, but limited movepool to put it to good use.

A Psychic or Rock/Ground type would be ideal. Psychics generally have good Special Stats, so will do a lot of damage with their attacks. Ground types offer you an immunity to Electric (though you wont really need that against the Elite Four), whilst Rock types will have a higher defence against physical attacks.

For Psychics, you have a few good choices:
    Kadabra/Alakazam - 'Zam would be ideal, but its requirement of a trade to evolve is annoying if that option isn't available to you. I know it was never available to me. Kadabra is just as useable, but if you find it failing in battle, then it's likely attributed to it's lower stats. Ideal set; Psychic, Recover, Thunder Wave, Seismic Toss
    Hypno - My personal choice. Hypno has all-round good stats, and have a better HP, attack and defence than the 'Zam family, just not as fast. Ideal set: Psychic, Thunder Wave, Substitute, Seismic Toss/Rest
    Jynx - Yes, Good old Lola. Though you have to put up with the fast that she has a terrible nickname inspired by a Kinks song about transsexuals (this may or may not be true), she's pretty handy in battle. You also have the benefit of her levelling up faster. You may need to ply her with a few stat boosts (Zinc, Calclium and the like) to pump her up a little. Ideal set: Blizzard, Lovely Kiss, Psychic, Seismic Toss

For Ground types, you have the following:
    Nidoking/Queen - Easy to find, quick to raise. Either one is acceptable, 'King has better Attack and Speed, 'Queen has better HP and Defence. Their moves are interchangeable, but the poison type gives them an added resistant to Grass. Ideal set: Rock Slide, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Double Edge/Body Slam/Seismic Toss/Submission
    Graveler/Golem - You face the same issue here as you do with Kadabra and Alakazam. Ideal set: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Submission, Explosion
    Rhydon - Rhydon is the pro's choice in competitive battling. I wont give you that set, as it requires knowing when to use it, but Rhydon gives you all the bases you'd want covered with a Rock/Ground type. Ideal set: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Body Slam, Substitute/Double Team
    Firstly, I used swords dance for venusaur mainly to make it less hopeless against special walls, and will be swapping swords dance for sleep powder once I get it.

For snorlax, like you said I'll swap amnesia for hyper beam, but rather than swap psychic for selfdestruct, I'll swap it for explosion, the more powerful of the two.

Well I already used my thunder tm on jolteon, so gyarados will have to stay the same.

For fearow I have fly, toxic, take down and was considering substitute because of toxic.

Changed thundershock for thunder, quick attack for thunder wave.

And I'm tossing up between mr mime, kadabra and jynx, because I feel like a psychic based special sweeper would be totally overpowered and a real addition to my team.
    Last edited by Siu; 5th October 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Siu View Post
    For snorlax, like you said I'll swap amnesia for hyper beam, but rather than swap psychic for selfdestruct, I'll swap it for explosion, the more powerful of the two.
    Snorlax can't learn Explosion, only Self Destruct.

Well I already used my thunder tm on jolteon, so gyarados will have to stay the same.
    What about Thunderbolt then?

Snorlax can't learn Explosion, only Self Destruct.

What about Thunderbolt then?
    Problem is, I had thunderbolt on it in the first place, and replaced it with fire blast. I already have an electric type, but no fire types or moves in my entire team. Oh well it'll do I guess.