Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What changed the way you play?

Really, getting into competitive battling has changed the way I play ingame.

Credit to FrozenConstellation

Back in Pokemon Diamond and HGSS, I do admit.. I was pretty dumb when I think about it now, but I didn't care about items, defence moves, I just went all out with offensive moves. I didn't know what natures were, nothing about breeding, ev training.

But when I got Pokemon Black, had realised what all those advance stuff were because of the internet LOL.
    Now, I pay attention to movesets, natures and all those stuff ;3

Credits Avenger Angel for banner

Since I learned about Ev breeding and natures that's what changed my way of playing,
    Before it was just the pokemon i liked and stuff then i started to breed for natures, After that I started to ev train, I saw that some pokes still weren't giving their max so i did research and found out about IV's so I started I'v breeding, I still wasnt happy with some pokes so Now I RNG everything that I train, And yup thats how it is now
    Trinity League Badges

3DS FC: 1075-1699-3820
    Ign: GC7

I collect Pokemon based on performance, and I always seem to collect the exclusive fossil Pokemon too :P

i pay more attention to a pokémon's effort points earned after every battle, if im battling a super powerful physical attacker with a sp. attacker it drives me bonkers. and i do a ton of research on serebii and memorize ep earned: rattata,speed. caterpie, hp. weedle,speed,etcetera
    Last edited by Ferrin; 30th September 2012 at 4:48 PM.

Discovering the competitive aspect changed my way of playing, in the sense that I find myself too compulsive to play without proper IVed, EV-trained pokemon. It is really annoying, I wish I could undo it.

I think, when I was playing firered I decided I was going to do a run with a team of all grass types. And a rule of the run was that I had to try to get them all to be about the same level and ever since then I tried to keep them all my Pokemon the same level that is until Platinum.
    When I got Platinum I also got the phone book (the Platinum guide book) with it. I had already played Pearl so I knew mostly what to expect so I decided to use the guide book to do this really complicated run where I just try to do everything. And part of that was completing the Pokedex. So, ever since then I play all my games like I'm trying to fill the Pokedex so I have a lot of boxes just filled with Pokemon that I don't really use.
    "Getting pride from simply being part of a group is stupid. Especially when anybody can join said group."

My age.

Or to be more specific, I think Generation III changed my way of playing. I didn't really train my Pokémon equally, let alone took the time to really have an adventure and explore the regions until I got Ruby, or LeafGreen, one of the two. Sure, it could be the game mechanics, but I started paying attention to it more. I don't really EV train Pokémon, even though I do pay attention to the stats these days and use stat-booster items since SoulSilver.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Age and new game mechanics. Before I bought white earlier this year the last pokemon game I played was silver. So I had to learn about abilities and natures. I'm also starting to use stat boosting moves and new strategies other than all out offense. However, the offensive strategy is still my favorite.

Age, more than anything.

As I grew up, I tended to lean more toward strategy, rather than just using whatever I felt like using. I'm not anywhere near competitive level strategy, but at least I'm not running around with a Pikachu that uses Thundershock, Thunderbolt, Thunder, and Thunder Wave.

Third Gen: 60 • Fourth Gen: 83 • Fifth Gen: 64 • Sixth Gen: 57
    Kanto: 51 • Johto: 39 • Hoenn: 63 • Sinnoh: 45 • Unova: 45 • Kalos: 21

Selphie (L.12) • Zell (L.12) • Irvine (L.12) • Rinoa (L.11) • Seifer (L.12) • Squall (L.13)
    Oreburgh City • Returning to Jubilife City • 1 Badge • 05:20 Elapsed

Competitive battling, everybody telling me that I'm doing it wrong...ugh...I've been told so much, now I play with risky strategies just to prove how capable I am.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

For good. I recently got into EV training even tho I don't got WiFi, I got into breeding Pokemon. In G/S/C I was lazy and gave a Pokemon EXP. Share and took it to the Pokemon League. Now I catch them in the wild and train them in the wild. If it's a Pokemon I want for competitive when I get WiFi then I EV train it.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Music & Musicians Alliance Club

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Competitive battling, everybody telling me that I'm doing it wrong...ugh...I've been told so much, now I play with risky strategies just to prove how capable I am.
    Don't listen to them in the first place.....

Gen 5 changed the way I play the game.

I starting listening to a Pokemon Podcast called It's Super Effective, and they had a Featured team segment. They also talked a lot about the VGC, the official annual Pokemon tournament held by Nintendo and The Pokemon Company International. I eventually decided that I wanted to get better at battling, so I started doing some research on my own. I'd always been pretty alright, not generally losing battles against friends, but I really wanted to test my metal against some of the bigger names. I eventually bought the Black and White Pokedex Guide Book, and, after reading through it, I really started branching out into things. EV training first, Natures, then IVs. I've always been pretty good with movesets, so that wasn't something I really had to work much on.

Being on my own podcast, StriatonRadio, also helped with this, as we also do a Featured Team segment, and one of our guest hosts, SilentOmen, started helping me out along the way.

Now, where I used to just reset my game over and over or just train random Pokemon however was most convenient, I started focusing on building good teams, breeding, and Battle Subway. BW2 will bring the Pokemon World Tournament, and that'll be even more exciting.

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

HGSS changed my style. Drastically.
    Before that, I had a "team" made of random Pokemon.
    When HGSS came in, i started using an actual team.
    Before, I didn't use items that much. I put one on the Pokemon thinking it would do nothing.
    Now I see they have a purpose.

Competitive battling.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Natures

10char

The internet. Before R/S, I just played through Pokemon games without planning a thing, catching and training whatever struck me as interesting in-the-moment. When R/S were about to launch, I began to use the computer often, and in turn I began to research information on various video games. For Pokemon, this was the start of me planning teams before starting a new game. Now I always have a set team plan before I start a new adventure.
    Pokemon X Team:

3DS Friend Code: 0946 2360 9613

Black 2 FC: 2967 6413 3444

Well, before Platinum I was always just playing in-game and not planning ahead whatsoever. When Platinum came out, a couple things happened:

a) I planned my team before hand
    b) After watching so much competitive battling on Youtube I got interested in that, so I started EV training and such

Gen 4 made me train competitive Pokemon.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Third generation changed my style of playing to become more competitive (for the in-game Battle Facilities). It happened when I was battling in the Battle Pyramid and I lost since my Houndoom was defeated by a Roselia just because the Pokemon I used was so bad. After that had happened, I started EV-training, giving my Pokemon better movesets, and made sure they had the most useful Natures. A while later, I started IV breeding as well. Those changes made it possible for me to win at the facilities, and I have kept that up in 4th and 5th gen as well. I don't regret this change at all.
    This is the future we made for ourselves
    But is it really the dream we wanted to live in?

The present has to be treated as precious
    Or we will regret it when it has become the past...

When I played Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FR, and LG, I used to restart the games all the time for new adventures and because I mistakenly thought that more restarts = better chances of a shiny appearing. Now I know the value of saving one game for a while to keep good pokemon in, whether to restart other games in or to trade to later generations.

I also used to breed pokemon the minute the daycare center became available in RSE, and I would wind up with a bunch of pokemon with lousy movesets. Now I wait until at least after the E4 so I can breed great moves onto pokemon. Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum were especially helpful with the high-level pokemon after the E4 with great moves.

On the not-so-positive side, I used to play the RSE and FRLG games with the sound on all the time because it enhanced the playing of the game. I also loved the random sounds of wild pokemon. Since Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum I frequently play with the sound off because I detest the bike music in those games. It sounds like a circus. I'll listen to HG, SS, and Black and White's music, but not those three.
    Last edited by wobbanut; 9th October 2012 at 2:37 AM.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Used to only catch and raise electric and water types in Gen 1 but in Gen 3 I changed coz Swampert was part ground... so now my team is variety, nya~

When I was younger I would restart my game after I beat it and use the same Pokemon over and over again lol

Now I actually plan my team.

FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    When I was younger I would restart my game after I beat it and use the same Pokemon over and over again lol

Now I actually plan my team.
    I used to restart my games all of the time too, although I would vary my teams as much as possible and use different starters. Now, however, I can't restart my games since everything has so much more value nowadays and transferring a bunch of pokemon to another game would take way too long.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast