Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: So why didn't they make a 15th anniversary Pokemon special?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,070

    Default So why didn't they make a 15th anniversary Pokemon special?

    6 years ago back in 2006, there was a 10th anniversary special made for the anime, "Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon."

    The special which was initially intended to be a celebration of the 10th anniversary of the anime, instead became more infamously known as the first aspect of the anime to be dubbed by the new PUSA voice actors at the time.

    Since it took place during AG, it of course featured the AG cast and brought in Prof. Oak and Misty as part of the 10th anniversary celebration. Even Tracey got a small silent scene. And of course it featured heavily on Mewtwo and Mew who were the big legendaries everyone remembered from Kanto.

    This year was the 15th anniversary of the anime back in April, and this time around there was no new special. Why do you think they chose not to create a new anime special reuniting most of the main cast? Do you think its because there are too many older main characters now, as opposed to last time when only Misty and Tracey were the, "retired old main characters."

    What do you think about this situation at hand?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,592

    Default

    Well, ten years is a pretty good milestone, so it makes sense to have a tenth anniversary special. Fifteen years is still a bit "too soon" for a special, and even then, it's impressive, but a twenty-year celebration would be more impressive. So I can see one happening for the 20th anniversary if Ash makes it that far.

    Now I'm sure the 10th anniversary special is much better in the Japanese version, though I think it'd be just as ridiculous. Really, the whole thing felt hashed in, and from what I do remember, the plot didn't really make sense. It had a good set-up, but it lost momentum later on. The villain could've been much cooler than he was, and the fight between Mewtwo and Mew was unsatisfying for me, honestly, since they were both mirages and not the real thing. I felt a bit cheated, especially with the... weirdness of it all.

    And of course, the awful dub is really so bad, it's hilarious. When it was included with Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, it was redubbed so I guess it's better, but I haven't seen that version. But hey, someone somewhere out there saved a copy of the original clip on a VHS tape (*cough*), so if a person really hates themselves so much, or if someone wanted a really good laugh, they could pop it in and watch. Actually, I think it's still floating around on the web somewhere, so there's always that.

    *COUGH*

    So yeah. We got a few more years. They're probably planning out the 20th anniversary special as we speak. And this had better be good.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,509

    Default

    Probably the

        Spoiler:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    I don't think people really think of 15 being a big year compared to like the 10th 20th or 25th. Why I don't know but yeah it is what I have noticed tbh.
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/343spx0.jpg[/IMG]

  5. #5

    Default

    They did make a 15th anniversary special. Heck, they made two: one for the TV series and one for the movies.

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Probably the

        Spoiler:
    Nah, they did the same for every episode back during the 10th anniversary. It has nothing to do with the content of the episodes themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Now I'm sure the 10th anniversary special is much better in the Japanese version, though I think it'd be just as ridiculous.
    It was pretty much the same. The special was supposedly partially plotted by 4Kids, explaining all the various "appeals to American audiences" aspects of it (Misty returns, Oak is a great battler with super powerful Pokemon, lots of legendaries with Mewtwo and Mew taking center stage, etc) and why it feels so different.

    Also, remember this special celebrated the 10th anniversary of the franchise, not the anime.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    It was pretty much the same. The special was supposedly partially plotted by 4Kids, explaining all the various "appeals to American audiences" aspects of it (Misty returns, Oak is a great battler with super powerful Pokemon, lots of legendaries with Mewtwo and Mew taking center stage, etc) and why it feels so different.
    The mere fact that Misty was there should tell you it was aimed at American audiences, because otherwise her last appearance would have been AG134 and that has remained her last appearance for the next 7 years.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Somewhere Beyond the Barricade
    Posts
    4,408

    Default

    Strange how Misty's popularity with the fandom compared to her regard from the writers edged into this thread... you'd almost think that pesky Cybercubed was up to his old tricks...

    Anyway, wasn't the Meloetta special with the 15th movie an anniversary special of sorts?

  8. #8

    Default

    Cuz that Pokemon special was hated so much by the fandom it ended all specials and Pokemon never wanted to do some thing like that again. In the end English dubbed special ruined any chance of any character getting another special, hurray for English dubbed and its adding things like this and Pokeshipping hints that never happened in the Japan version.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

    Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,177

    Default

    Probably because writers didn't find 15th anniversary significant enough to warrant doing long special with all older characters in it. Such thing requires time, money, effort, return of older VA's along with several other things.

    When your marking existence of long lived franchise like pokemon, it usually gets recognition after every 10 years to signalize its long and successful existence. Doing such thing every 5 years is probably too short period of time in their perception to warrant doing something particularly special for it.

    And im not sure what makes people think that 10th anniversary special was "so much infamous among fandom". There was criticism, but people complain pretty much about anything in this show.

    I think lot of complaints about Mastermind special are not legit at all . Special had innovative plot, characters were fun and natural and it was nice for a change seeing something original and never tried before.

    Only real complaint which i really had were terrible portrayal of Ash, May or Brock voices.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The mere fact that Misty was there should tell you it was aimed at American audiences, because otherwise her last appearance would have been AG134 and that has remained her last appearance for the next 7 years.
    What was exactly wrong in bringing Misty there?
    Gathering all past and current traveling companions for 10th anniversary special made perfect sense. Each of them represented certain generation being important part of pokemon history on cast,so it was logical to have them receive some sort of recognition.

    What you expected? To include pretty much every main character at that point there, except Misty?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Cuz that Pokemon special was hated so much by the fandom it ended all specials and Pokemon never wanted to do some thing like that again.
    I highly doubt writers pay attention to fans and their outcry. If that was case Misty would return to cast again, Ash would age and win league, Brock would leave sooner etc.

    In the end English dubbed special ruined any chance of any character getting another special, hurray for English dubbed and its adding things like this and Pokeshipping hints that never happened in the Japan version.
    Actually it wasn't dub which started whole pokeshipping idea in first place, but writers. Considering how Japanese (original)version had hints as well, just in smaller amount than dub had.

    4kids only decided to expand on something writers started in first place.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    It doesn't matter.
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Because 15th isn't that big of a deal unlike 10 or 20.I'd rather see Pokemon get an orcestra at E3 or whatever like Mario and Legend of Zelda anyway.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    Well, 15 is a big deal, because very few series last that long. Several lucky shows make it to at least ten (Cheers, Frasier, Friends, Two and a Half Men, etc.), but much fewer make it to 15 and beyond (The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, Gunsmoke), so Pokemon is in rare company.

    Plus, it's not quite 15 years here in the States or other areas yet, just Japan right now. We'll hit 15 years next September. It'd be nice if they have something then.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 12/18 NEW!! 12/23
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Y and OR
    To reclaim:

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pallet Town, Kanto
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Well we have Ash's old Pokes, Oak, Delia, and Tracey appearing in the theme song.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    6 years ago back in 2006, there was a 10th anniversary special made for the anime, "Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon."

    The special which was initially intended to be a celebration of the 10th anniversary of the anime, instead became more infamously known as the first aspect of the anime to be dubbed by the new PUSA voice actors at the time.

    Since it took place during AG, it of course featured the AG cast and brought in Prof. Oak and Misty as part of the 10th anniversary celebration. Even Tracey got a small silent scene. And of course it featured heavily on Mewtwo and Mew who were the big legendaries everyone remembered from Kanto.

    This year was the 15th anniversary of the anime back in April, and this time around there was no new special. Why do you think they chose not to create a new anime special reuniting most of the main cast? Do you think its because there are too many older main characters now, as opposed to last time when only Misty and Tracey were the, "retired old main characters."

    What do you think about this situation at hand?
    A 15th year anniversary isn't as big as a 10th or 20th anniversay imo, so that may be why they didn't have any specials or anything, that I know of of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    UGH...MoMP...that was a train-wreck. At least the dubbing now is league's better than...THAT. -_-

    It was so bad it wasn't funny.

    The special itself was...weird. The dubbing was...truly awful. Truly a terrible, terrible 10th "Anniversary" Special.

    The only saving grace of the redub is that Sarah Natochenny spared us from Kayzie Rogers' rendition of Ash. It still wasn't any good at all. Bill and Michele only redubbed two lines with new lines, Sarah maybe one, and the voices sounded exactly the same to me (except Ash- a tad better).

    After that, I'm not expecting a good one if it airs.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,901

    Default

    Thread was bumped, so closing this now.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •