Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Type disadvantages/advantages

ok i get most of them but...
    1) why is dragon weak against ice?
    2) why cant ghost and normal hit each other?
    3) why does psyckic not hit dark AT ALL?
    4) why are ghosts strong against themselves?
    5) why is ground super effective against poison?
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    ok i get most of them but...
    1) why is dragon weak against ice?
    2) why cant ghost and normal hit each other?
    3) why does psyckic not hit dark AT ALL?
    1.) Reptiles are cold blooded.
    2.) Normal people can't interact with ghosts and ghosts can't interact with normal people, only with mediums.
    3.) Perhaps because they can't manipulate the evil thoughts on the minds of Dark Type Pokémon.
    4.) No idea.
    5.) No idea.

Well in several fictional works, spirits can destroy other spirits because they share the same plane of existence, just like how humans can kill other humans because we're all physical beings.
    Last edited by Endolise; 8th October 2012 at 6:13 PM.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

ooh, I think I know this.
    I think it's because ground has a neutral pH, and poision would have either a very high or low pH (acid or alkaline), and ground would dilute it. I'm not completely sure, but I think that's it [/waits for laughter and the calls of "stupid!"]

NOTE:
    *Yanmega instead of Vespiquen*
    *Magmortar instead of Arcanine*
    *Arcanine instead of Camerupt*

From what I've been reading in the early pokédex guidebooks, it seems that types being disadvantaged by their own type defensively was reserved for types which were generally reserved for the particularly badass types. They're so awesome, only another one of their own can threaten them, which was the case for ghost types before there was a dark type. Dragon appears to be a similar case, though it did always have its ice weakness, which was pretty much its only weakness in gen 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    I wanna ask you guys this. Can you eat a LIVING COCKROACH?
    Does it count if I refrain from doing it mainly due to to my considering eating a being while it's alive to be a highly sadistic act? Ok, I probably would be freaked out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwhirl'sMittens View Post
    True, I mean, I can see bugs being weak to lightning also (since bugs are often attracted to those zapping lamp things) but that would be down-right awful.
    Pretty much the only insects that bug zappers work on (if I remember correctly) are the ones that can fly. So pretty much any insect whose weakness would be a bug zapper would be weak to electric as a pokémon.

Though ironically, the most famously zapping-prone insects, moths, often aren't flying type.

Now that I think of it, having bug weak to ice and not rock would leave the flying bugs with the same number of 4X type disadvantages, so it probably would have made equal sense.

As for electric, I probably agree with PikaPika's second theory. Like I said, it's hard to think of things that can't hurt electric or poison because you can't really "hurt" electricity or poison anyway, so the designers probably decided to just make the offensive advantage a defensive one as well.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

The only one that doesn't make any sense to me is Normal isn't affected by ghost, now i get the whole "ghosts are a gas, not a solid" thing, but then why do they not effect grass types,rock types, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by thedude018 View Post
    The only one that doesn't make any sense to me is Normal isn't affected by ghost, now i get the whole "ghosts are a gas, not a solid" thing, but then why do they not effect grass types,rock types, etc.?
    As mentioned on the previous page, it's supposed to represent how normal humans can't interact with ghosts and ghosts can't interact with humans except through mediums.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

ok i forgot a few
    1) why is rock weak against ground?
    2) what is normal? so that its weak to fighting?
    3) why is dark weak against fighting?
    4) why is dragon weak against itself?
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Earthquakes can shake apart rock structures.

Put an average person who never works out up against a professional boxer; see who wins.

Honorable fighting > Underhanded tactics

They're the only things powerful enough to damage each other.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

ok i forgot a few
    1.) Buildings are basically made of rocks and they fall apart when "hit" by earthquakes.

2.) A normal/common person is weak to people who have fighting skills

3.) The Fighting-Type is supposed to be honorable unlike the Dark-Type which fight tricking and cheating their opponents.
    It is like Fighting is the good and Dark the evil, and good supposedely beats evil.

4.) I believe Dragon is weak to Dragon for a similar reason for Ghost being weak to itself:

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Well in several fictional works, spirits can destroy other spirits because they share the same plane of existence, just like how humans can kill other humans because we're all physical beings.
    Edit: Ninja'd.

ok i forgot a few
    1) ground can move rocks and break them.
    2) What is normal is hard to explain it is something you can see yourself "this looks like a normal type" it is probably a
    1.default type
    2.base type to bird based pokemon the only 3 exceptions are bibrael meloetta and girafig.
    It is weak to fighting because a fighter can beater an untrained person so a fighting pokemon beat a normal one.
    3) fighting is justice dark is injustice (see lucario and the ability justified)
    4) a. to make the dragon type more useful than normal.
    b. to add another weakness to dragon
    c. Dragons are that strong that they can beat themself.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Can someone explain why Dragon is weak to itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Can someone explain why Dragon is weak to itself.
    Are you being serious? There are literally 3 posts right above yours which explain it.

Why is Flying neutral to Ice? Ice being fatal to warm-blooded animals explains why Ice is super-effective against Flying, but it doesn't specifically explain why Flying is neutral to Ice.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Why is Flying neutral to Ice? Ice being fatal to warm-blooded animals explains why Ice is super-effective against Flying, but it doesn't specifically explain why Flying is neutral to Ice.
    Actually I think it has more to do with ice freezing them resulting in their inability to fly rather than birds being warm-blooded animals. Imagine what would happen if I froze a bird's wings while it was flying/

To screw Ice type.. it also should resist grass..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Actually I think it has more to do with ice freezing them resulting in their inability to fly rather than birds being warm-blooded animals. Imagine what would happen if I froze a bird's wings while it was flying/
    Whatever debilitates the birds' lifestyle, yeah, but it doesn't really explain how Flying is neutral to Ice.

Whatever debilitates the birds' lifestyle, yeah, but it doesn't really explain how Flying is neutral to Ice.
    Not all of these relationships have to be two-way

Freeze a bird's wings, and it won't fly. But a bird can behave in a cold environment just fine (although they generally migrate, which also helps explain why Ice is SE over Flying); the bird doesn't really have an effect on the ice but it doesn't not have on either. It's just neutral.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

Anyone else remember when in Gen 1 Poison was good against Bug and vice versa?
    I thought it kind of made sense... with the Poison being effective against bugs, not so much Bug against Poison.
    After all, was do we use in real life to exterminate bugs?
    Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Not all of these relationships have to be two-way

Freeze a bird's wings, and it won't fly. But a bird can behave in a cold environment just fine (although they generally migrate, which also helps explain why Ice is SE over Flying); the bird doesn't really have an effect on the ice but it doesn't not have on either. It's just neutral.
    Weird. I just thought of a bird trying to destroy a relatively small chunk of ice or something. Although I guess they'd be able to pierce the chunk of ice with their beak.

Quote Originally Posted by BNator92 View Post
    Anyone else remember when in Gen 1 Poison was good against Bug and vice versa?
    I thought it kind of made sense... with the Poison being effective against bugs, not so much Bug against Poison.
    After all, was do we use in real life to exterminate bugs?
    It made sense, yes.
    But the type was completely garbage due to its lots of weaknesses and lack of Pokémon with good stats.

Sure, even without the Poison weakness, the type isn't the best, but being weak to Rock, Fire and Flying is more than enough.

It makes sense to Posion be strong against a lot of types: Grass, Normal, Bug, Water, Fighting...

Ice should resist Grass, Ground, Water and Dragon.

Rock should resist Rock, Bug and Ice.
    Yeah..... I changed my signature....

And Bug should resist Bug, Dark and Psychic... Besides Ground, Fighting and Grass.
    Last edited by Nyarlathotep; 9th October 2012 at 4:03 PM.

I'm confused as to why ice is super-effective against ground.

I'm confused as to why ice is super-effective against ground.
    Probably because the ground freezes during winter and things such as the permafrost layer in the ground within the artic circle. And to give Ice types another strength.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast