Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Type disadvantages/advantages

Poison should have be as effective against Water as it is against Grass in my mind. I mean, changes to a river's pH would severely affect species in it. As for Ground beating Poison, I assume that's because you have poisons in gases below ground, and ground acts to contain them. That's the best I can think of. (I always assumed Bug DID beat Ice 0_o)

Having Normal immune to Ghost also is something I don't always understand, and probably along with water-poison the one I feel most strongly about, since Ghosts can interact with ordinary objects and there's no reason an attack based on attacking things with said objects can't exist, like a haunting. It must be so that Normal isn't underpowered and screwed from the fact Normal has no effect on Ghost.

EDIT: Missed another discussed obvious one: I feel Ice should beat Water purely because the ice type can also be associated with cooler temperatures rather than just blocks of ice.
    Last edited by DemonLabRat; 3rd October 2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Icy water is hot

Quote Originally Posted by WingBlast View Post
    Makes sense, but why ground?! it feels as if they just wanted to add an other weakness to poison!!! but also and using the same logic, grass should also be effective against poison( as in herbs to cure poison). Still!! in popular culture the horn of a unicorn was needed to purify the poisoned water of the well
    I don't think herbal medicines cure poison. It's more for natural diseases. Poisons are cured with antidotes and anti-venoms. Grass is weak to poison because we use herbicides (poison) to kill plants we don't like such as weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonLabRat View Post
    EDIT: Missed another discussed obvious one: I feel Ice should beat Water purely because the ice type can also be associated with cooler temperatures rather than just blocks of ice.
    But water can also melt ice
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    But water can also melt ice
    In battle, I think ice would be able to overcome water offensively and defensively though :/
    For example, using ice beam to freeze an incoming water attack to protect oneself. Or freezing the area around a swimming pokemon, immobilizing it. Water wouldn't be able to melt ice that quickly unless the attack was Scald.

Quote Originally Posted by aloquesada View Post
    I have one, why ice isn't supereffective against bug, i mean during winter many bugs have to hide or die :/
    Maybe because it's lousy enough being a butterfree with just one 4X weakness, or a parasect with two of them. Maybe this is why poison also doesn't have an advantage against bug even though it might make sense considering insecticides.

Speaking of bug types, I wonder what the idea is behind their resisting ground. I only just realized they had that resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by WingBlast View Post
    how come Flying is not super-effective against ground?!! thanks ^__^
    It's kind of hard for the wind to blow the ground away. Except for in sandstorms, but it's still not the whole ground. And it's especially hard for something that burrows to get picked up in a gust. I guess a bird could eat an earthworm as easily it could an insect or a seed, but then again, earthworms aren't pokémon.

I realize that plants can be poisoned, but so are bodies of waters
    Yeah, that is another weakness that would make sense if you think about it. Logically, you'd think a wooper or marshtomp would have a disadvantage against muk rather than an advantage, seeing as amphibians are often hit the hardest when it comes to toxic waste.

Also, when I think of it, fire's resisting steel seems kind of odd as well. Like ice, it kind of fits that a fire attack can melt metal, but one would think the heat of the pokémon itself wouldn't be hot enough melt it fast enough to protect it from the metal. Aren't those covers used to snuff out flames made of metal? It does melt, but if the heat coming from the pokémon while it's not attacking is hot enough to melt metal before it even touches it, fire might as well resist every type.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Between Water and Ice, I think Ice is not very effective against Water in that heat travels from cold to hot (making Water transfer its warmer temperature to Ice's cooler temperature, thus melting Ice).

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Between Water and Ice, I think Ice is not very effective against Water in that heat travels from cold to hot (making Water transfer its warmer temperature to Ice's cooler temperature, thus melting Ice).
    I think the actual reason is because ice is essentially water. Even so, I think in battle, ice would be able to overcome water through freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwhirl'sMittens View Post
    I think the actual reason is because ice is essentially water. Even so, I think in battle, ice would be able to overcome water through freezing.
    Strictly speaking, ice is solid H2O, whereas water is liquid H2O. It'd take more "strength" to freeze water than to melt ice, though; you'd have to "overcome" heat transfer.

Strictly speaking, ice is solid H2O, whereas water is liquid H2O. It'd take more "strength" to freeze water than to melt ice, though; you'd have to "overcome" heat transfer.
    Well, that's why I'm saying "in battle" since moves like ice beam seem to freeze things instantly.
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 5th October 2012 at 8:41 AM.

Well, that's why I'm saying "in battle" since moves like ice beam seem to freeze things instantly.
    Yet it only has a 10% chance of freezing a Pokémon in the main games... :P

Yet it only has a 10% chance of freezing a Pokémon in the main games... :P
    But when it hits it's instant. That also wouldn't have to do with type match-ups otherwise ground, grass, or flying would have a higher chance of freezing. The way I think of it (if ice was super-effective) is ice would have priority over water since ice would first freeze something and then the water would try to melt it. By trying to melt it, water is already at a disadvantage while ice has time to "set up"
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 5th October 2012 at 8:45 AM.

But when it hits it's instant. That also wouldn't have to do with type match-ups otherwise ground, grass, or flying would have a higher chance of freezing. The way I think of it is ice would have priority over water since ice would first freeze something and then the water would work on melting it.
    I still think that it's harder to counteract the natural temperature of the environment and freeze something than let something wait around until it gets back to the natural temperature. But that's just my opinion. :P

On another note, why do you think Ground is super effective against Rock and Rock is not very effective against Ground?

interesting question...well when you think about it, the ground when shacken up can shatter rocks to pieces but rocks tossed into the groun have little impact
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

I still think that it's harder to counteract the natural temperature of the environment and freeze something than let something wait around until it gets back to the natural temperature. But that's just my opinion. :P

On another note, why do you think Ground is super effective against Rock and Rock is not very effective against Ground?
    Maybe for the similar reasons. Rocks eventually become part of the ground and are "consumed" by it.
    I don't see why electric is NVE against grass.
    EDIT: Apparently lightning can be beneficial to plants o.o
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 5th October 2012 at 9:02 AM.

I don't see why electric is NVE against grass.
    You'd think that electricity would be able to fry the leaves or the root system of the plant, but I guess not...

grass grows in the ground, therfore it's "grounded" and lightning only strikes tall things
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Azzimagica View Post
    grass grows in the ground, therfore it's "grounded" and lightning only strikes tall things
    That's actually not true. Lightning can strike pretty much everywhere.

Actually, in that sense, lightning could fry trees, too. And trees are incorporated into the Grass type, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Azzimagica View Post
    EDIT: Apparently lightning can be beneficial to plants o.o
    However, Lightning is indirectly beneficial to plants. If lightning made direct contact with a tree, well there's a cause for massive forest-fires.

Ground absorbs electricity which makes sense. Electricity gets beaten by Ground how?
    Poison should definely resists or at least beat Water and Fighting types.

Steel should beat Poison and Dragon types. Steel is very powerful and needs much more offensive coverage.

I always thought Fire should resist Poison......

I also believe Bug should resist Psychic and Dark.

Normal should resist Dragon, Psychic and Dark but be weak to Steel or Poison.

Ground should resist Bug and Steel.

I was trying to make a Pokemon game (still barely in the making.) with these type advantages and disadvantages but I can't make sense out of them.
    Yeah..... I changed my signature....

Can anyone tell me why normal is weak to fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Can anyone tell me why normal is weak to fighting?
    Pit an average person who doesn't work out and who doesn't have any fighting skills against a professional boxer; you'll see.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundedshock View Post
    Ground absorbs electricity which makes sense. Electricity gets beaten by Ground how?
    It's hard to really think of sensible weaknesses to types like electricity and poison because you can't really "hurt" electricity and poison per se. Electricity needed a defensive weakness, so I guess the designers just went with the type that had a semi-sensible advantage.

Steel should beat Poison and Dragon types. Steel is very powerful and needs much more offensive coverage.
    I could actually see steel beating dragon, it sounds like something that would work. Though I'm not sure how readily European folklore tropes would register with the Japanese designers, and besides, they probably didn't want the dragon type to have a ton of weaknesses. Though if dark was introduced to be a weakness for the other overpowered type, ghost, I don't see why the other new type couldn't have been introduced as a dragon weakness. But dragon type moves without fixed damage did help clip the dragons' wings a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundedshock View Post
    I understand Steel beating Poison (Poison having no effect on Steel justifies such a thought). But Steel against Dragon?

I always thought Fire should resist Poison......

I also believe Bug should resist Psychic and Dark.

Normal should resist Dragon, Psychic and Dark but be weak to Steel or Poison.

Ground should resist Bug and Steel.
    I don't get the reasons behind these...

I'd imagine G.shock was thinking of knights in shining armour slaying dragons with steel swords. Like I said before, it's possible this isn't something that would readily register with Japanese game designers. Though there are some pokémon that do look like Western dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    I'd imagine G.shock was thinking of knights in shining armour slaying dragons with steel swords. Like I said before, it's possible this isn't something that would readily register with Japanese game designers. Though there are some pokémon that do look like Western dragons.
    Personally, I'd imagine that less as Steel but more like the general medieval atmosphere. After all, you can use bows and arrows to defeat a dragon just like you can use a sword.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast