Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Gen 2 would've been better if they included more access in Kanto?

Hybrid View

Default Do you think Gen 2 would've been better if they included more access in Kanto?

I know they pretty much did this in HG/SS, But do you think Gen 2 would've been more fun if they allowed you to catch Mewtwo, The Legendary birds, and gave you access to the underground path, Silph Co, etc.
    Michigan's #1 Pokemon group

Perhaps, but it doesn't really matter, since we have HG/SS
    Currently Residing in the orange islands.

Fire is the key to life.

yes but i liked it all the same
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Well.... G/S/C and HGSS already really give complete access to Kanto.

So I don't think anything would've improved if nothing changed...

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Quote Originally Posted by Ducklett12 View Post
    Well.... G/S/C and HGSS already really give complete access to Kanto.

So I don't think anything would've improved if nothing changed...
    Not true, See what Winter02 said.

Definitely. Kanto was one of the major letdowns in G/S/C, they had removed all the fun areas from R/B/Y which made it a horrible region this time around. Not to mention the Gym Puzzles had been dumbed down to the extreme, and the wild Pokemon levels were the same as in R/B/Y. They should have included the old legendaries as well as all areas that were removed and made it possible to fight Pokemon at level 60+ (which wasn't possible in HG/SS either, sadly).
    We both break free if we make it on top
    If one should fall we both will drop

We move together from here on out
    What you need is what I'm about

I don't think it was so much the availability of locations (or lack thereof) that weakened the Kanto portion of G/S/C (or the remakes) so much as the lack of "plot" involved. There wasn't much to do outside of gathering the badges aside from a single story point involving the power plant and the areas affected by the missing part. There wasn't much sense of doing something during the Kanto portion of the game, in my opinion, which made me feel less motivated to finish the region.

I get that this was probably because they didn't have much space for an additional story on top of revisiting the area, but the lack of accomplishments between badges just made the secondary region feel even more secondary to me. What might have improved it for me would be less about locations and more about the motivation to go from one area to another. The reinstatement of the legendary pokemon in Kanto in HG/SS helped a little, but the fact that you already had to have all the badges for all of them but Articuno didn't help with the "going through the motions" feel the actual second set of 8 badges had.
    Oh, look! I wrote a fanfic! Weak (One-Shot. Rated G). Can Iris convince Bianca that she can't just avoid her problems?

And another one: Mischief (One-Shot. Rated G). A little fun for October.

Quote Originally Posted by Ememew View Post
    I don't think it was so much the availability of locations (or lack thereof) that weakened the Kanto portion of G/S/C (or the remakes) so much as the lack of "plot" involved. There wasn't much to do outside of gathering the badges aside from a single story point involving the power plant and the areas affected by the missing part. There wasn't much sense of doing something during the Kanto portion of the game, in my opinion, which made me feel less motivated to finish the region.

I get that this was probably because they didn't have much space for an additional story on top of revisiting the area, but the lack of accomplishments between badges just made the secondary region feel even more secondary to me. What might have improved it for me would be less about locations and more about the motivation to go from one area to another. The reinstatement of the legendary pokemon in Kanto in HG/SS helped a little, but the fact that you already had to have all the badges for all of them but Articuno didn't help with the "going through the motions" feel the actual second set of 8 badges had.
    I agree, and I found some interesting things on a website about a unused Safari Zone and the Pewter City Museum. So It looks like they did want to include more at one point.

Yes! All the empty cities, it creeped me out :P
    And yea, I wanted the Safari Zone and Mewtwo badly back then.
    Last edited by ★ Lucario ★; 14th October 2012 at 1:06 PM.
    Click on these Pokémon to make them happy and healthy!:

Spoiler:- Credits:

Pokémon Red Water-monotype challenge team:

Pokémon Emerald Water-monotype challenge team:
    Pokémon Fire Red Nuzlocke challenge team:

Yes, but it was still nice to see the towns from the 1st gen.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Yes, it would be nice. Kanto was a bit dull in Gen 2, but nevertheless enjoyable.

I did feel disappointed that there were so many areas I couldn't access like I could in R/B/Y, so Kanto did feel a little empty, but that didn't make me love the game itself any less. There was still the entire Johto region you could experience, after all. I didn't need the legendaries to be there either, since I still had my Yellow version. :P

~Psychic

I liked that Kanto was accessible, but I was disappointed with the lack of certain areas. I don't get why places like Cerulean Cave and the Seafoam Islands were removed (well in the case of the latter, the islands were still there, but the caverns were caved in apparently). And I'm not even stressed out about the Legendary Pokemon that weren't in the game; I just wanted to explore all the places from the original Kanto region.

Well having Kanto in GSC was already a gift on its own. Just including it in the game was already a big thing on its own as it really made GSC seem much bigger than what it would have been if just Johto was included.

Indeed, Kanto was very empty; however, I still loved the fact that it was included. It made the journey just slightly more longer and made the game after the Elite 4 more exciting to play. Of course, having more would have been even better; however, I'm still happy with the result we got in the end.
    Black Team:

Currently replaying Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver!

In the past when I first played Silver as a kid, I was disappointed because there was no Safari Zone or anything; having the Kanto gym leaders and Red totally made up for that. And yeah, HG/SS do have the Safari Zone and Seafoam Islands now, so it doesn't matter that much nowadays.

KiltedTrainer and Miss Wolveram's Trade Boutique

Trainer Info / Wants
        Spoiler:- clicky here:

Use Wolveram as a referrer if you do join!!!!
    Credit goes to pkmnfn for the Ho-Oh bar

The really low levels of kanto sans the gyms killed it for me.

They should have done it like in BW where everything in Kanto has a minimum of level 65. The gyms could be in the 80s red can go to level 100etc, Johto can stay more or less the same.

No, I don't think it matters that much. I just wish they hadn't cleared Viridian Forest

Yes they should have, but the games just probably didn't have the memory back then. Remember, the games now have more data than the older ones. So I bet they wanted to, but they just didn't have the space in the memory to spare. So don't be so mad about it.
    The world needs more weird people who know how things work and who love to figure it all out.
    Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.
    You can code. They cannot. That is pretty dang cool.
    ~Zed Shaw

No, that's what the originals were for.
    [IMG]http://i33.*******.com/vqjxj5.jpg[/IMG] wow fantastic baby [IMG]http://i33.*******.com/vqjxj5.jpg[/IMG]

Definitely. They nerfed Kanto heavily in GSC, and it felt very empty and very boring. I do like what they did with it later in HGSS, but I still think it's not really enough. Aside from what they already did in HGSS, this is what they should've done:

-Move around some of the Johto and Kanto pokemon so all Johto Pokemon can be found in Johto and some of the Kanto Pokemon are Kanto exclusive (move Electabuzz, Pikachu, Houndour, Slugma, Sneasel, Chansey, Clefairy, and Misdreavus to Johto and move Farfetch'd, Seel, Staryu, Mankey/Meowth, and Tangela to Kanto).
    -Bring back Rt. 23 and put trainers there and in Victory Road.
    -Reopen the other Underground Path and have both intersect in the middle so you can go in any direction underneath Saffron City (for instance, you can go from Rt. 5 to Rt. 8).
    -Reopen Silph Co.
    -Allow exploration of the new mausoleum in Lavender Town as a substitute for Pokemon Tower.
    -Expand Mt. Moon (if I were to remake the area nowadays, I'd make the inside a giant crater shaped area kind of like Twist Mountain with access to the outside area on top, but they wouldn't have been able to do that back then).
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Definitely. They nerfed Kanto heavily in GSC, and it felt very empty and very boring. I do like what they did with it later in HGSS, but I still think it's not really enough. Aside from what they already did in HGSS, this is what they should've done:

-Move around some of the Johto and Kanto pokemon so all Johto Pokemon can be found in Johto and some of the Kanto Pokemon are Kanto exclusive (move Electabuzz, Pikachu, Houndour, Slugma, Sneasel, Chansey, Clefairy, and Misdreavus to Johto and move Farfetch'd, Seel, Staryu, Mankey/Meowth, and Tangela to Kanto).
    -Bring back Rt. 23 and put trainers there and in Victory Road.
    -Reopen the other Underground Path and have both intersect in the middle so you can go in any direction underneath Saffron City (for instance, you can go from Rt. 5 to Rt. 8).
    -Reopen Silph Co.
    -Allow exploration of the new mausoleum in Lavender Town as a substitute for Pokemon Tower.
    -Expand Mt. Moon (if I were to remake the area nowadays, I'd make the inside a giant crater shaped area kind of like Twist Mountain with access to the outside area on top, but they wouldn't have been able to do that back then).
    Yes! thats exactly what im talking about. I was so excited at first went I saw Kanto in my Gold, yet to be dissapointed by half of it gone. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MagnezoneWorld View Post
    Yes! thats exactly what im talking about. I was so excited at first went I saw Kanto in my Gold, yet to be dissapointed by half of it gone. Lol
    Well, at least HGSS kind of fixed most of GSC's problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast