Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 583

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    I like Grass-types, and generally I do choose the Grass Starter.

    Poison is the worst offensive type, and Rock is probably the worst defensive type.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,713

    Default

    I don't think grass is the worst although it certainly isn't the best either.

    Pokemon fan girl since 1999 =D
    Raichu is #1 Forever!!!

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    No Where
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Grass is not the worst type imo.Its just like every other type with a few differences.Its not the best type either though its in the middle.



    Omega - 1/1/13


  4. #29
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Morgan Freeman's house
    Posts
    888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan18 View Post
    Grass is not the worst type imo.Its just like every other type with a few differences.Its not the best type either though its in the middle.
    Right, and just cause of the MANY weaknesses it gets a bad rep



    3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

    I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

    Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

    FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    From what I've seen, many people dislike the Grass-type because of its many weaknesses.

    Most people who don't factor in weaknesses in deciding whether or not a type is good don't like the type because of its generally different style of moves when compared to the Water or Fire types.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    3,155

    Default

    it's not that its bad, it's that it just isn't all that useful truth be told neither is Fire and you literally just not use the water starter and be fine, but the Grass starter is usually pretty useful for the first Gym (except Johto)

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SE asia, Phiippines.
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Grass type are my personal faves. Fire types may have the type and power while Water has the resistance and bulk and some versatility. But grass types, among the three (on personal tastes), have the largest amount of versatility compared to water types.

    Look at Ferrothorn, being part steel type hates fire big time but it's resistances multiplied a ton and only special type users can finish him without activating iron barbs. Great for playing defensively and offensively.

    Breloom and Virizion's part fighting may give issues to flying attacks. But their part fighting gives them an extra helping hand dealing with steel and Ice types (two of Grass type's biggest rivals).

    Torterra is one of the best examples of being a worthy ground type. Normally, he hates poison types and steel. but give him a ground type, and he can fight back to those two types. Plus currently, he's the only starter that can use a rock type attack (bar Hidden Power) like stone edge.

    Sceptile is what you could see as the Alakazam of Hoenn starters. High Speed and Special attack. But has a nice and impressive physical attack as well. Give him a swords dance with acrobatics (with flying gem), Leaf blade, and Dragon Claw, you may need to think twice now with he speed boost.

    Whimsicott is personally my most hated grass type due to abuse status attacks via Prankster (Dang I hate people who prank others intentionally). With both defensive screens, Leech seed, Tailwind, and more, its gonna ruin your day.

    Roserade and Venusaur's part poison is nice as a supporter, and when dealt right, they can be lightning bruisers to your team. Most likely, under the Rain and Sun respectively. The plus would be the east to take a fighting type attack and retaliate.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

  8. #33

    Default

    As much as I hate grass, your argument is invalid. Heck, Ice is just as weak as grass, if not more. Every type is there for a reason. Grass is weak to poison because when nature gets poisoned, it turns corrupt and dies. Easy.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

    Recent Shiny: Cresselia
    Current Hunt: Regirock

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The maze that pays
    Posts
    10,013

    Default

    Get thee to a type chart.

    Grass is niche defensively, since it resists Ground and Electric. The only other Electric resists (immune, w/e) are Ground and itself (the former of which is already a very good type, and the latter of which doesn't count), and the only other Ground resists (immunes) are Flying and Bug (both of which are sub-par defensively). Yes, Grass has weaknesses. That's why they're called other Pokemon. Offensively, it's one of Water's only two weaknesses, besides Electric.

    Stop sucking up to Ground types, because those become even more prevalent when you remove Grass, due to the increased freedom given to both Ground and Electric.


    To those of you hating on Fire types, they're not defensively oriented. Look at their resists and weaks. Weaknesses are common, good attacking types, resists are defensively leaning. Use Fire types to break through defensive Ice and Steel types, and use other 'mons, like Water types, to handle Fire resists.

    Learn to play the game and use the characters the way they were intended.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    297

    Default

    I love Grass. It's meant to be used as a support role for its team. Like every type, you have to be able to work with its strengths and work around its weaknesses.
    I'll put something here...eventually

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sunnyshore City
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Grass types are fine with me.


    All credits for BT's Army Against Arrogance Banner goes to Brutaka.
    All Credits to Black Terminator's Region Express banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Traveling various regions
    Posts
    705

    Default

    i like grass types

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Get thee to a type chart.
    I'm sorry, but that's just so gloriously done, I need to point it out. Kudos to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Grass is niche defensively, since it resists Ground and Electric. The only other Electric resists (immune, w/e) are Ground and itself (the former of which is already a very good type, and the latter of which doesn't count), and the only other Ground resists (immunes) are Flying and Bug (both of which are sub-par defensively). Yes, Grass has weaknesses. That's why they're called other Pokemon. Offensively, it's one of Water's only two weaknesses, besides Electric.

    Stop sucking up to Ground types, because those become even more prevalent when you remove Grass, due to the increased freedom given to both Ground and Electric.


    To those of you hating on Fire types, they're not defensively oriented. Look at their resists and weaks. Weaknesses are common, good attacking types, resists are defensively leaning. Use Fire types to break through defensive Ice and Steel types, and use other 'mons, like Water types, to handle Fire resists.

    Learn to play the game and use the characters the way they were intended.
    As for the rest, I have to agree completely. Each type serves it own purpose in dealing with other types in various ways. The type's own weaknesses and strengths aren't enough to determine its usefulness. Now when the specific weaknesses and strengths of said type are considered, then a type's use is easier to see, and then it can ultimately be seen that no type is too shortchanged at all. I know you said that and better, but this is my little word on the topic.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia



  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling Unova
    Posts
    4,740

    Default

    I take offense to that lol I always start every new gen with the grass type.. only second games like emerald would i not do so.


    Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Poke no sekai ^^
    Posts
    114

    Default

    So, is it safe to say that the 3 starter types are on bar with each other?

    And I do understand why poison is SE against grass. I just understand why it is only SE against grass..when it could also be SE against water and Dragons. And i never really understood why grass isn't SE against poison!!! Herbal remedies > poison!!


    -Kurumayu-tachi " we can't wait to become sweeping samurai Hahakomories

    Minna no pokemon getto da ze~

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WingBlast View Post
    So, is it safe to say that the 3 starter types are on bar with each other?
    Yeah, it is. The starter types are meant to be equal to each other to begin with.

    I just understand why it is only SE against grass..when it could also be SE against water and Dragons.
    In the first generation, there weren't any types that were super effective to two starter types. I guess it'd be unfair for Poison to be the exception.

    And i never really understood why grass isn't SE against poison!!! Herbal remedies > poison!!
    By that logic, Psychic should be super effective against Dark, and Dark should be super effective against Fighting, since opposites are supposed to be good against each other.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    The Grass-Type has a lot of nice designed Pokémon. Even considering that the type is not good, I would still choose the grass starter.

    Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Learn to play the game and use the characters the way they were intended.
    hurr durr

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Poke no sekai ^^
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post



    By that logic, Psychic should be super effective against Dark, and Dark should be super effective against Fighting, since opposites are supposed to be good against each other.
    Not really! psychic is not the opposite of dark!! one is the power of mind and the other is fighting dirty! I do not think that they are meant to be polar opposites. Fighting and dark are though. But, it is probably what u said about the first generation chart! I just wish they could rework the chart.


    -Kurumayu-tachi " we can't wait to become sweeping samurai Hahakomories

    Minna no pokemon getto da ze~

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WingBlast View Post
    Not really! psychic is not the opposite of dark!! one is the power of mind and the other is fighting dirty! I do not think that they are meant to be polar opposites. Fighting and dark are though. But, it is probably what u said about the first generation chart! I just wish they could rework the chart.
    Someone else on another thread brought up the really good point that Psychic involves concentration and focus whereas Dark involves attacking when an opportunity arises to break that focus.

    As far as reworking the type chart goes, there really is no need to. Why change something that isn't broken?





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Poke no sekai ^^
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Someone else on another thread brought up the really good point that Psychic involves concentration and focus whereas Dark involves attacking when an opportunity arises to break that focus.

    As far as reworking the type chart goes, there really is no need to. Why change something that isn't broken?
    Ok, this solidify the concept of those 2 types being somewhat opposite, but it doesn't necessarily mean that psychic should also be SE against Dark! Think about it this way. Until a psychic type has meditated a dark type would have already delivered a fatal blow and that's why psychic is completely ineffective against dark and not just "not very effective".

    Hmmm, that's really subjective! I think Ice could should be SE against water and water to be SE against Steel. and if not the the pokechart then definitely the movesets! It's not fair that every water type can learn an ice move to counter grass and every ground type can learn rock type to counter flying! some types are really made to look inferior to other types!


    -Kurumayu-tachi " we can't wait to become sweeping samurai Hahakomories

    Minna no pokemon getto da ze~

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WingBlast View Post
    Ok, this solidify the concept of those 2 types being somewhat opposite, but it doesn't necessarily mean that psychic should also be SE against Dark! Think about it this way. Until a psychic type has meditated a dark type would have already delivered a fatal blow and that's why psychic is completely ineffective against dark and not just "not very effective".
    That doesn't change the fact that the two can be interpreted as having advantages of each other, much like how you say poison is susceptible to herbal remedies and that plant life is vulnerable to toxins and such. It's the same logic.

    Hmmm, that's really subjective! I think Ice could should be SE against water and water to be SE against Steel. and if not the the pokechart then definitely the movesets! It's not fair that every water type can learn an ice move to counter grass and every ground type can learn rock type to counter flying! some types are really made to look inferior to other types!
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't get why those types should match up how you propose they should. Mind elaborating?

    As for Water-types getting access to Ice-type moves, Grass already has the advantage of not needing to resort to a second type of move to defeat Water-types, whereas Water-types do (and consequently lose their STAB bonus). I don't see how it's "unfair".





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WingBlast View Post
    So, is it safe to say that the 3 starter types are on bar with each other?

    And I do understand why poison is SE against grass. I just understand why it is only SE against grass..when it could also be SE against water and Dragons. And i never really understood why grass isn't SE against poison!!! Herbal remedies > poison!!
    Poison>Water I agree with.
    Grass>Poison, not so much. Herbal remedies are more than just grass/plants alone. Poison kills "naked" grass.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    That doesn't change the fact that the two can be interpreted as having advantages of each other, much like how you say poison is susceptible to herbal remedies and that plant life is vulnerable to toxins and such. It's the same logic.



    Maybe it's just me, but I don't get why those types should match up how you propose they should. Mind elaborating?

    As for Water-types getting access to Ice-type moves, Grass already has the advantage of not needing to resort to a second type of move to defeat Water-types, whereas Water-types do (and consequently lose their STAB bonus). I don't see how it's "unfair".
    I think WingBlast is going for the concepts of ice freezing water and water causing steel to rust, which I don't disagree with.
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 2nd October 2012 at 9:49 AM.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Poke no sekai ^^
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    That doesn't change the fact that the two can be interpreted as having advantages of each other, much like how you say poison is susceptible to herbal remedies and that plant life is vulnerable to toxins and such. It's the same logic.



    Maybe it's just me, but I don't get why those types should match up how you propose they should. Mind elaborating?

    As for Water-types getting access to Ice-type moves, Grass already has the advantage of not needing to resort to a second type of move to defeat Water-types, whereas Water-types do (and consequently lose their STAB bonus). I don't see how it's "unfair".
    Just because 2 elements are opposite that does not mean they could/ should be SE against each others! (i.e fire vs water). Poison vs grass on the other hand we can actually justify why grass should at least be normally effective. ( Again, I'm not saying that poison shouldn't be effective against grass I'm just saying that poison should also be effective against other types too so that it wouldn't seem as if they simply want to burden grass with extra weaknesses).

    Ice freezes waters! In Scandinavia and in the arctic region, all bodies of water are solid frozen. I think this qualifies as to why ice should be SE against water. And water makes metals rust!

    Yeah, but i'm not talking about grass vs water here! I'm simply saying that they give a certain type move to a certain type that destroys all its weakness. i.e a fire type with solar beam can counter all of fire's weaknesses! how often do we see a grass type with rock type moves?


    -Kurumayu-tachi " we can't wait to become sweeping samurai Hahakomories

    Minna no pokemon getto da ze~

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Gondamon,the great dwarf city
    Posts
    383

    Default

    grass types are dangerous if they learn giga drain, in black and white its power has increased to 75 damage. that+stab=112.5 of nutrient-draining damage

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    186

    Default

    As far as the grass starters go I do find they suck for a playthrough, specifically because they don't usually have the coverage that I enjoy from my starters. Some grass types (Venusuar, Meganium, Serperior) don't get that many offensive moves if I remember: it's grass STAB and Sludge Bomb. Sure, Meganium has Body Slam and Serperior Slam, it's not great for a starter IMO. Sceptile and Torterra were the best playthrough-wise of the starters, 'cause they got decent offenses and coverage moves (especially with Torterra's ground type). The other starters always had something going for them IMO - all the water types could at least run Surf + Ice Beam/Blizzard, plus some got other moves (EQ on Swampert, Grass Knot on Empoleon). As for fire they were generally offensive and powerful, plus most got decent other moves (see Charizard/Blaziken/Infernape/Emboar movepool).

    But the worst type? I don't think there is a worst type. Competitively, some of the grass starters rock, plus grass types get some awesome supporting moves (like Leech Seed). Grass had good and bad sides, but it's not the worst type (well, only for starters!).
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •