Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

The Problem with Grass is that Bulbasaur, Chikorita And Snivy are just not as good as the other starters in the game. Also Given the fact that if you want a fire type In DP you either had to use chimchar or Ponyta which cut options for using it as well, have pretty much gotten me to the point where I almost never use the grass starter in Game, then as you are going through the game, Water types give the coverage's grass types do, and until Gen 5 Waters were necessary for HM's and you get to the point where most of them are just underwhelming compared to other options. Which is a shame.

They are defiantly a type for competitive over ingame.

Grass types are great if used in the right place at the right time.
    And there are lots of very good ways to use grass, as different combinations of types change the whole theory entirely.

for anyone who has never seen my venusaur, torterra, ferrothorn trio beware of the grass type.
    and as for the game being direced to kids...my friends dad still playas pokemon, and i will probly still play it when i am older.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

About the Kids thing, Pokemon is a game people have grown up with, I've been playing since Red, Blue & Yellow, and I play for fun, doubt I'll stop any time soon now that gaming is pretty much socially acceptable. (I'm 19 BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by overlimit22 View Post
    The Problem with Grass is that Bulbasaur, Chikorita And Snivy are just not as good as the other starters in the game. Also Given the fact that if you want a fire type In DP you either had to use chimchar or Ponyta which cut options for using it as well, have pretty much gotten me to the point where I almost never use the grass starter in Game, then as you are going through the game, Water types give the coverage's grass types do, and until Gen 5 Waters were necessary for HM's and you get to the point where most of them are just underwhelming compared to other options. Which is a shame.

They are defiantly a type for competitive over ingame.
    If we're talking about the same old effectiveness chart and general usefulness, then Grass type does lose out to Fire terms of coverage, and Water in terms of utility since Surf is one of the most useful HM STAB move. But honestly, is the main storyline ever THAT difficult that you're torn between choosing Grass or Fire/Water type, when the game itself is designed such that even kids can beat the champion with enough effort? I've completed every generation using Grass starter bar Gen IV, and I've never met any serious difficulty in the game as a result of my starter choice, even though I'm the kind of player who barely uses any form of healing item throughout the game.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfire98989 View Post
    And there are lots of very good ways to use grass, as different combinations of types change the whole theory entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    for anyone who has never seen my venusaur, torterra, ferrothorn trio beware of the grass type.
    and as for the game being direced to kids...my friends dad still playas pokemon, and i will probly still play it when i am older.
    This is what I am talking about. From what I have read, a number of the people that are against grass types really dont understand the strategery (SNL) behind them

B

EDIT: THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE IN PARTICULAR. I AM MAKING AN OBSERVATION BASED OFF SOME OF THE THINGS THAT I HAVE READ. IF YOU THINK I AM TALKING ABOUT YOU, LET ME ASSURE YOU THAT I AM NOT
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 16th November 2012 at 5:12 PM. Reason: clarification
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

Quote Originally Posted by youririshskin View Post
    Never liked grass Pokemon, don't really have a reason other than there are other ways to get around rock/ground. Few grass Pokemon's stats impress me and the same can be said for their looks. I've never been one to factor in "coolness" when picking a party, but a lot of grass Pokes just look weak...
    I like leafeon though, but that is an eevee evo so I don't think it counts. :P!

The exact same is true for Fire and Water types, except that they suck less on the type chart...

Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    This is what I am talking about. From what I have read, a good amount of the people that are against grass types really dont understand the strategery (SNL) behind them

B
    Who is against Grass types?

I just see the imbalance and wish they would buff Grass so its as good as Water and Fire.

Just because I point out that Grass types are inherently worse, doesn't mean I don't like them. I love an interesting Grass pokemon just as any other type.
    Last edited by Mitja; 15th November 2012 at 9:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenshou View Post
    I like leafeon though, but that is an eevee evo so I don't think it counts. :P!
    Leafeon = Grass type therefore it is a Grass pokemon, so of course it counts xD

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    The exact same is true for Fire and Water types, except that they suck less on the type chart...

Who is against Grass types?

I just see the imbalance and wish they would buff Grass so its as good as Water and Fire.

Just because I point out that Grass types are inherently worse, doesn't mean I don't like them. I love an interesting Grass pokemon just as any other type.
    There are some that blindly stated grass was weak. You used reason and logic to support your answer which assumes that you understand how to use strategy

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)

The same could be said for every other type as well, such as for other types that don't have that many types that it is super effective against, which is why I don't believe that the Grass type is bad only because of type matchup.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by youririshskin View Post
    I mean, the game's directed towards children, so sure. But it seems to me like there's a higher percentage of grass "wimps" than others. Admittedly, I'm biased, but I already went over that.
    Well I disagree. Regarding the three starter types, I think Grass have the greatest amount of nice/interesting looking Pokémon.
    Grass > Fire > Water in this aspect. A lot of Water Pokémon looks uninteresting to me.

This is what I am talking about. From what I have read, a good amount of the people that are against grass types really dont understand the strategery (SNL) behind them

B
    Who are against Grass-Type Pokémon here? I would like you to point who are these people, if you please. I said that they aren't that good if compared to a lot of others type, but even so, there is a lot of Grass Pokémon I appreciate. In my current Emerald run, there is three Grass Pokémon in my team. Also, regarding starters, most of the time I picked Grass-Type Pokémon and I love using Leech Seed + Mega/Giga Drain. See? There is a big difference between knowing a type isn't that great and disliking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post

Well I disagree. Regarding the three starter types, I think Grass have the greatest amount of nice/interesting looking Pokémon.
    Grass > Fire > Water in this aspect. A lot of Water Pokémon looks uninteresting to me.

Who are against Grass-Type Pokémon here? I would like you to point who are these people, if you please. I said that they aren't that good if compared to a lot of others type, but even so, there is a lot of Grass Pokémon I appreciate. In my current Emerald run, there is three Grass Pokémon in my team. Also, regarding starters, most of the time I picked Grass-Type Pokémon and I love using Leech Seed + Mega/Giga Drain. See? There is a big difference between knowing a type isn't that great and disliking it.
    I am not singling anyone out. it was a general observation. You clearly understand the use of the type. My commented was directed at people who made statements where it sounded like they were counting them as useless based on comparisons to other types.

B

PS - changing the post so this doesnt happen again

I am not singling anyone out. it was a general observation. You clearly understand the use of the type. My commented was directed at people who made statements where it sounded like they were counting them as useless based on comparisons to other types.
    Isn't comparing Grass to other types kinda what this thread is all about...?
    WANT POKERUS? I can breed these starters/rares with Pokerus or pretty much anything you want:

Legendaries for trade:

Looking for:

i think every type is good in its own way, i wouldnt say that other types are necessarily better

Grass is often one of the worst starters, and usually on master teams like OU and UU they perform badly (like everything there are exceptions).
    That being said, in game they are just about as good as any other pokemon when youre leveling up. Like all teams its about balance.
    As far as poison weakness, i think it has to do with herbasides and weedkiller. ; )
    Also, their moves can be used fairly well, especially to those who dont expect them, but like many moves work only under the right circumstances.
    Perhapse with more supporting moves like natural cure or poison point pokemon, or perhapse more sun boosts and higher stats, they can make up for most of their weaknesses.
    I mean, Fighting types are normally associated with high atack power, so why cant they adjust grass around a certain stat or stat group? Just a though; while i dont want them compl;etely remaking everything, i think it could help.
    But, yeah, more/better abilities perhapse.

I find that an Ingrain + Leach Seed combo on a Grass type wall (Venusaur/Cradley) usually works brilliantly.

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red Absol View Post
    I find that an Ingrain + Leach Seed combo on a Grass type wall (Venusaur/Cradley) usually works brilliantly.
    Ingrain, Leech Seed, and Rain Dish on a Ludicolo? o:

^Add Leftovers to it and watch Ludicolo set up endless Subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    ^Add Leftovers to it and watch Ludicolo set up endless Subs.
    And with the use of Rain, add Scald to potentially buff its lackluster defense, and you've got one of the most frustrating Sub-Seeder in the game. That grass/water typing helps Ludicolo use a really annoying strategy well, so grass types definitely have advantages that other types don't.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    And with the use of Rain, add Scald to potentially buff its lackluster defense, and you've got one of the most frustrating Sub-Seeder in the game. That grass/water typing helps Ludicolo use a really annoying strategy well, so grass types definitely have advantages that other types don't.
    Too bad it takes a couple of turns for Ludicolo to set up, which hampers the strategy somewhat. Oh yeah, and Taunt.

Grass type isn't the worst type nor is any type for that matter, each type has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Too bad it takes a couple of turns for Ludicolo to set up, which hampers the strategy somewhat. Oh yeah, and Taunt.
    Ludicolo's bulk isn't that bad. It has an alright movepool and even Swift Swim if your going for a Swords Dance set. Taunt yes is there to hurt, granted as well as Togekiss who can Air Slash him.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Ludicolo's bulk isn't that bad. It has an alright movepool and even Swift Swim if your going for a Swords Dance set. Taunt yes is there to hurt, granted as well as Togekiss who can Air Slash him.
    Oh, I know Ludicolo's bulk is nothing to scoff at. But in the few turns that it needs to set up Leech Seed, Ingrain, Rain Dance (either with the move or by switching out), a Pokémon could very well KO it before it gets its entire setup going.

^Thats why Politoed exists in our world, to bring you endless rain. If only a Ghost/Steel with Levitate existed, this would be the perfect synergy combo.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast