Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

It's all about finding that right combo of types.

When they release Serperior with its Dream World Ability 'Contrary' we'll see whos the worst type starter. That thing combined with Leaf Storm is gonna be DEADLY!
    Friend Code X/Y: 5413-0119-2660
    IGN: Ryan
    Friend Safari: (ROCK)
    Check out my Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/RyIsBored
    Mega Wishlist:

Quote Originally Posted by WingBlast View Post
    Sorry if this have been made before,but I would really appreciate an answer.

"GRASS" is weak to 5 types!!!! ( Never understood why to POISON". It's resisted by 7 types and effective against only 3. ( And we all know the gimmick of water types using ice beam and electric types using signal beam).
    So, do u think that Grass is dwarfed by the other starters? or by the other types as well? what changes do u think the pokechart should undergo in order to balance grass? or do u think it is already usable and on bar with water and fire? Thanks
    Everyone knows you can poison grass. It's a real-life effect. Try it on weeds.

Anyway, no, grass is the best starter--especially for Kanto gyms and Hoenn gyms. Why? Because Rock types suck. That's why.

I see a pattern, Grass for advantage against the first badges and weakness in the long run; Water for neutrality/advantage against first, second and sometimes third badges and more neutrality in the long run; fire for weakness against the first, and sometimes second badges, and varying weakness/advantage in the long run.

Fire usually has more power and aims at one-hit takedowns like Blazibun and Typhlosion. Water is usually the defensive starter like Empoleon or Blasty. Grass is usually the status and strategical starter like Venusaur or Meganium.

Although my initial statement is an opinion and cannot be proven, I say this despite the fact that I usually choose fire starters with the exception of Empoleon ( I just don't like monkeys. No offense to Infernape--flaming poo-throwing monkey--fans.)

As for the Grass TYPE: I think Grass is indeed severely crippled in weakness. But, this is okay given that most grass-types supply ample amounts of status-crippling power. Examples: Shroomish's Leech Seed and Effect Spore (Nuff said), Roselia's Toxic, Tropius's Chlorophyllic Solarbeams, Vileplume's relentless powder supply.

Yeah, stfu. Grass is a mean type that deserves the weaknesses it has! -rage-
    Last edited by Dark Violet Moon Ray; 25th October 2012 at 9:25 PM.

no its not the worst type, most grass starters can learn earthquake which takes care of many problems.

White 2 team~ all lvl 100~ 8 badges~ E4 complete~ white treehollow complete~ join avenue rank 10~ 81 medals

Grass may have many weaknesses, but they have just as many abilities that make up for it. Like status-inducing moves, draining/recovery moves, and abilities they can use to their advantage on the battlefield.
    I absolutely love grass types, especially Cradily and Roserade. They are both great support Pokémon, and most grass types fill this role.
    It all depends on the makeup of your team if grass is great or not. For me, it's never let me down.

| my anime list | anime reviews blog | photobucket | soundcloud |
    | ask me anything...no really! | level my sylveon! |
    | latest anime review: .hack//Sign |
    | currently watching: .hack//Tasogare no Udewa Densetsu // 07-Ghost // 11eyes // 2x2=Shinobuden // Inuyasha |

It's should also be noted Ferroseed is really decent with Eviolite, increasing its bulk better, at least in RU where it checks some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Wolf-Howl View Post
    Hmm... my Torterra was pretty good with offense, strangely enough.
    Ditto. :\

But I made it that way. B3

The grass starters are all my favorites :O
    I understand what you are saying, but I will always love grass types <3

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

Quote Originally Posted by tyranitarenthusiast View Post
    no its not the worst type, most grass starters can learn earthquake which takes care of many problems.
    Ice moves. I immediately thought, "Torterra." Nope.

Venusaur lacks Attack powa.

Meganium, too. Sceptile? Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Violet Moon Ray View Post
    Ice moves. I immediately thought, "Torterra." Nope.

Venusaur lacks Attack powa.

Meganium, too. Sceptile? Meh.
    Torterra- carried Stone Edge to counter the switches

Venasaur- Growth, Sleep Powder, and Chlorophyll

Megabium- is more defensive

Sceptile- sp attacker and Swords Dance sweeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Torterra- carried Stone Edge to counter the switches

Venasaur- Growth, Sleep Powder, and Chlorophyll

Megabium- is more defensive

Sceptile- sp attacker and Swords Dance sweeper.
    Ice MOVES. Not Pokemon. Example: Empoleon with Ice Beam. Done deal, friend.

Yes, yes. Mega's more defensive, I said this already. Oh wait, what is THAT!? Is that... some kind of... Speedy Status-afflicting Pokemon!? MY GOSH! Yeah. Fawk Meganium. It'd also fall pre quickly to a strong X-Scissoring Poke. (Ninjask, anyone?)

Yes, Sceptile can do that I feel ya. Oh wait... Is that... Yes it is! It's a Blaze-Kickin' Blaziken equipped with a Scope Lens/The Return of the Ice Beaming Empoleon/Any-Pokemon-with-cool-resistance-to-any-of-the-possible-types-of-moves-Sceptile-can-throw-at-it-while-being-able-to-deal-type-weakness-damage-to-Sceptile!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Violet Moon Ray View Post
    Ice MOVES. Not Pokemon. Example: Empoleon with Ice Beam. Done deal, friend.

Yes, yes. Mega's more defensive, I said this already. Oh wait, what is THAT!? Is that... some kind of... Speedy Status-afflicting Pokemon!? MY GOSH! Yeah. Fawk Meganium. It'd also fall pre quickly to a strong X-Scissoring Poke. (Ninjask, anyone?)

Yes, Sceptile can do that I feel ya. Oh wait... Is that... Yes it is! It's a Blaze-Kickin' Blaziken equipped with a Scope Lens/The Return of the Ice Beaming Empoleon/Any-Pokemon-with-cool-resistance-to-any-of-the-possible-types-of-moves-Sceptile-can-throw-at-it-while-being-able-to-deal-type-weakness-damage-to-Sceptile!!
    That's if it can switch in but if Empoleon is hit by Earthquake then he is done. Sceptile has Acrobatics with Flying gem allowing it to kill it as well as activating Unburden lol. Doesn't matter if it super effective against it, a counter is one who can switch in and hurt it back before falling.

Quote Originally Posted by rgaveglia View Post
    When they release Serperior with its Dream World Ability 'Contrary' we'll see whos the worst type starter. That thing combined with Leaf Storm is gonna be DEADLY!
    Yeah, because one good Pokémon will make the whole type worth using. xD~ It is like saying that Poison-Type is one of the best solely because Gengar, a Poison Pokémon, is one of the bests ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    That's if it can switch in but if Empoleon is hit by Earthquake then he is done. Sceptile has Acrobatics with Flying gem allowing it to kill it as well as activating Unburden lol. Doesn't matter if it super effective against it, a counter is one who can switch in and hurt it back before falling.
    Oh you're getting all serious and competitive and whatever.

Never mind, I'm going to end this right now for my own sake of having a life to get back to.

Many of you "defend" the Grass type like it is a matter of opinion. But Grass is inherently worse off on the type chart, whereas Fire and Water are quite equal and superior to Grass in offense and defense.

Doesn't mean I have something against people who like the Grass starters. I love all of them. Im just pointing out that Grass deserves a buff as it is far from Fire/Waters league in general.

Like, of course having a secondary type can make up for it, but it makes Water and Fire even stronger in comparison..

Grass is by far the "worst type". No type is "the worst" (unless you count Normal, then, by weaknesses it isn't very good, since it can't hurt rock or ghost types. And the fact Normal doesn't get STAB)

if your only taking Starter's into the option (it says Possibly type), then you guys have a long way to go. there are several great grass types out there.

Ludicolo - Perfect for taking care of fire/ice damage. Rain Dish + Hydro Pump + Rainy Weather can take care of any fire type.
    Vileplume - Sleep Powder, Poison Power, and Giga Drain can whisk away life easily, may not be the best type for a fire pokemon, but it's definitly useful.

As for the Starters, they are all great, especially Torterra.
    Venusaur - Great Wall. But fire can take it down. If set up correctly, it can take out most ice types.
    Meganium - I have nothing for this, since I choose Cyndaquil in Crystal and then lost the game, so I'm not too sure how to deal with it. I hear its a great Wall, though.
    Sceptile - Leaf Blade + Overgrow + Scope Lens = Goodbye most types (minus Fire and ice. i've beaten bug with this combo before)
    Torterra - Earthquake. It can pretty much take out any opponent. I've taken down the Fire Gym leader before just spamming earthquake on my first platinum playthrough.
    Serperior - As stated, once Contrary comes out, your all screwed.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by h8on-me View Post
    Grass is by far far from the "worst type". No type is "the worst" (unless you count Normal, then, by weaknesses it isn't very good, since it can't hurt rock or ghost types. And the fact Normal doesn't get STAB It does.., and its way better defensively than Grass.)

if you're only taking Starters into the option (it says Possibly type), then you guys have a long way to go. there are several great grass types out there.

Ludicolo - Perfect for taking care of fire/ice damage. Rain Dish + Hydro Pump + Rainy Weather can take care of any fire type.
    Vileplume - Sleep Powder, Poison Power, and Giga Drain can whisk away life easily, may not be the best type for a fire pokemon, but it's definitly useful.

As for the Starters, they are all great, especially Torterra.
    Venusaur - Great Wall. But fire can take it down. If set up correctly, it can take out most ice types. most pokemon can take out their weaknesses when set up correctly
    Meganium - I have nothing for this, since I choose Cyndaquil in Crystal and then lost the game, so I'm not too sure how to deal with it. I hear its a great Wall, though.
    Sceptile - Leaf Blade + Overgrow + Scope Lens = Goodbye most types (minus Fire and ice. i've beaten bug with this combo before) Its higher offensive stat is special attack. Probably want to have a Hidden Power for coverage since Grass is resisted by lots of types
    Torterra - Earthquake. It can pretty much take out any opponent. I've taken down the Fire Gym leader before just spamming earthquake on my first platinum playthrough.But there is no Fire gym in Sinnoh.
    Serperior - As stated, once Contrary comes out, you're all screwed. Thats like bringing up Speed Boost Blaziken..
    So still, sure Grass pokemon can be great with proper extras like secondary types.. but Fire and Water just get even better when they have those too.

No!!
    Some of the grass types are extremely kickass!!!
    For example, venusaur. If you have a sunny day team, you can devastate a whole Team with it.
    Or a cradily, it's one of the best bulks.
    Don't let me start with breloom that cripples every team!
    How bout lodiculo that annoyes the hell out of you!
    What about sceptile that's one of the best special sweepers there is.
    And how can you look at venusaur and don't want to snuggle with it?!
    Last edited by destinydude000; 26th October 2012 at 9:49 AM.
    Simply awesome!!!
    BLACK FC:4126-7563-7425
    Main Party
    Competitive Party
    P.P.M
    The First Iranian Pokémon Group

Quote Originally Posted by destinydude000 View Post
    No!!
    Some of the grass types are extremely kickass!!!
    For example, venusaur. If you have a sunny day team, you can devastate a whole Team with it.
    Or a cradily, it's one of the best bulks.
    Don't let me start with breloom that cripples every team!
    How bout lodiculo that annoyes the hell out of you!
    What about sceptile that's one of the best special sweepers there is.
    And how can you look at venusaur and don't want to snuggle with it?!
    Same..
    Here let me try that with Fire.

Fire types are even more kickass with the same kind of extras!!!
    For example Blaziken with speed boost can devastate a whole team.
    Or Heatran, with great bulk and packs a serious punch.
    Don't let me start with Volcarona that destroys everything after setting up!
    (Ludicolo is more an argument for Water pokemon than Grass...it would be better off without the Grass type. Whereas without the Water type it wouldn't even have those abilities)
    What about Chandelure that's one of the best special sweepers there is.
    And how can you look at Typhlosion and not want to cuddle it?

Don't make me do it for Water, cause I'll have to bring up Gyarados, Kingdra, Swampert, Suicune... and Ludicolo lol

Meh, grass isn't that bad. It's hard to explain why, but i think there are worse types than grass. Poison, for example. There are just too many bad poison types. Sure some of them are dual types with grass but pokémon like Zubat are not only useless but annoying as well.
    My future team for Omega Ruby: Sceptile, (event shiny) Metagross, Torkoal, Altaria, Walrein, Groudon

Proven fact: Stardust Road and Teresa Waltz from the Super Mario Galaxy CD are good lullabies. Thanks to Savanny Killersaurus for demonstrating.

Friend Code: 2552-0309-3757
    Pokémon in my safari: Ponyta, Fletchinder, Charmeleon
    Pokémon I am looking for: none atm

Quote Originally Posted by ???2 View Post
    Meh, grass isn't that bad. It's hard to explain why, but i think there are worse types than grass. Poison, for example. There are just too many bad poison types. Sure some of them are dual types with grass but pokémon like Zubat are not only useless but annoying as well.
    Poison is the worst type offensively no contest sure.
    But the thing about offense is that pokemon are not bound to their STAB moves, whereas when its about defense, you are either doing well or screwed.
    In that view, as types go, Defense matters much more than offense.

And Poison actually fares well defensively and is the bonus that gives pokemon like Venusaur an extremely welcome Fighting resistance and narrows down Drapions weaknesses to just Ground etc.
    Since the unfortunate example you chose, Crobat, is an offensive Poison pokemon, its kind of lackluster, but definitely not useless with that speed.

So.... the only type thats really worse than Grass is Ice. And its pretty much on par with Psychic. Other than that, all types are better defensively and would rather not be combined with any of these 3 if they want to survive anything.

As a Grass type user, I have to say it's all in how you work them. The first type I wanted to do for a solid type team for medal earning against the Elite Four was Grass, I made it though with ease. I think being a Grass type user says something about people who choose them as their favorite type too. I think it says we are resilient, knock us out, burn us, we'll grow back, brighter and stronger for it.
    Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc ~ We Gladly Feast on Those Who Would Subdue Us.
    Not Just Pretty Words.

If you,
    ░████░░████░
    ░█░░█░░█░░█░
    ░████░░████░
    ░█░█░░░█░░░░
    ░█░░█░░█░░░░
    Paste this into your signature.

My Black Team
    ;547; ;593;

There's really no way to determine "worst type" without it being completely opinion. Grass types may not get very good defense, but I've been killed by a good number of grass type users in my day. It's really just a matter of knowing how to use them. Grass types weren't really meant to be pure attackers. They were meant to be status afflicters and annoyers. Some of them are even pretty good offensively. It takes a special kind of person to use grass types, but when you know how to use them, they are incredibly useful.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

This is how the 3 maon types go:
    Water: More Defensive/Offensive
    Grass: Offensive and less Defensive (except Torterra), gradually good with speed
    Fire: KILL EVERYTHAN WITH DA POWAH OF FIIAAAHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by Ghirahim
    You have awoken an anguish that will burn for eons...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    So still, sure Grass pokemon can be great with proper extras like secondary types.. but Fire and Water just get even better when they have those too.
    1. I meant the Fire Elite 4 member, not a gym leader... sorry.

But, That doesn't prove that Grass is the worst starter. By posting that, I say that there is no "Best" or "worst" starter, Best and Worst are opinionated. If you take competitive play into account, each and every type is the best.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast