Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 583

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

  1. #351
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fluttershy's Cottage
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMinun View Post
    But Turtwig and Bulbasaur are just too great to be the worst starters
    And I just had to have a female Snivy after seeing how well Ash's was advertised.
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

  2. #352
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by h8on-me View Post
    (Normal doesn't get STAB)
    The Normal-type does get STAB. Every Pokemon type does.

  3. #353
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Youtube
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    The Normal-type does get STAB. Every Pokemon type does.
    I looked it up. your right.

    The nintendo guides say that they don't, which is what confused me.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

    wouldn't Mega Arceus be

    the O-Mega Pokemon

  4. #354
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Successful grass type use lies in attacks like leech seed and ingrain. Combined with a healthy does of poison powder, you've got most matches tied up. I have even taken out fire types with that combo. Hit em with something hard after wards and its over.
    Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc ~ We Gladly Feast on Those Who Would Subdue Us.
    Not Just Pretty Words.

    If you,
    ░████░░████░
    ░█░░█░░█░░█░
    ░████░░████░
    ░█░█░░░█░░░░
    ░█░░█░░█░░░░
    Paste this into your signature.

    My Black Team
    ;547; ;593;


  5. #355
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    look behind you
    Posts
    624

    Default

    ehh personally ill take a grass type over a bug, steel or poison but its still usually like the last pokemon on my team strength wise
    3DS FC 1220 - 6490 - 8008

  6. #356
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by h8on-me View Post
    1. I meant the Fire Elite 4 member, not a gym leader... sorry.

    But, That doesn't prove that Grass is the worst starter. By posting that, I say that there is no "Best" or "worst" starter, Best and Worst are opinionated. If you take competitive play into account, each and every type is the best.
    Of course it doesn't. They can give it awesome stats, second type and movepool to make it good, but its still going to go down easier than if its type was Water, because Grass is inherently weaker on the type chart. I find that unfair and wish gamefreak would tweak it in its favor along with some other improvements.

  7. #357
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    grass poison poison could be weedkiller,dur

  8. #358
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Fire types are awesome

  9. #359
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    victini.png i will kill you all muhahahaha

  10. #360
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    idk
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Sure, grass types are weak to fire, bug, flying, and poison, but they have great stats and moves that keep them from dying. My Serperior here is:

    Serperior@Big Root
    Timid
    252 Sp. Attk., 252 Speed, 4HP
    Leech Seed
    Ingrain
    Glare
    Giga Drain

    Which does some major killing. Glare Paralyzes the foe, which can cause it not to move on and off. Ingrain, Leech Seed, and Giga Drain combined with Big Root deals some damage too, causing my Serperior to be a real pain, gaining all that HP.

    And I have to mention that, Empoleon's typing of Steel makes it take normal damage from fire. And yes, I know Torterra become the same way with it's ground Typing, and Infernape becomes weak to Psychic.

    EDIT: Dude you're spamming. Delete your posts or they will be reported.
    Last edited by SapphireBlueEyes7799; 27th October 2012 at 12:31 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghirahim
    You have awoken an anguish that will burn for eons...

  11. #361
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwest England
    Posts
    4,109

    Default

    True, Grass is the worst defensive type next to Ice, and offensively is quite lackluster. I'm not denying that Grass types can be good. Ferrothorn, Torterra and Celebi are all great pokemon. But Grass types are definitely disadvantaged because of the type chart.

    As for the worst type, I'd say either Poison or Ice is worse. Poison is terrible offensively, though pretty good defensively. Ice is very good offensively, hitting 4 key types including Dragon, but has no resistances bar itself and crippling Rock and Fighting weaknesses. The Ice type is actually renowned for its types attacks rather than the pokemon themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

  12. #362
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Ice is indeed the worst type in the game. It is not worth using a Ice-Type Pokémon in your team, all you really need are Ice-Type moves.

  13. #363
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia, Perth
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Ice is indeed the worst type in the game. It is not worth using a Ice-Type Pokémon in your team, all you really need are Ice-Type moves.
    Yeah, agreed. Theres no point, I'll just teach one of my pokemon Ice beam, then waa-laa.
    Anyways, Im using Serperior atm in bw2.. it was a bit of trouble at first, now that I've got it's final moves and everythings, it's perfect.


    Credits Avenger Angel for banner

  14. #364
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    OK, can somebody help me? I'm friggin tired of these posts everywhere about how grass starters suck. I'm not talking about competitive battling stuff, or how good the type is, but I'm talking about this meme/mentality that people have that Grass starters suck. Just because the original Fire type starter was a dragon (an animal known as one of the coolest of them all) and that Fire and Water can directly hurt people, but Grass can't, that caused this mentality that Grass sucks! I'm so freaking annoyed by that. When I look at funny pictures about Pokemon on Memebase or something, and now and then I see one about how the Grass starter sucks and that "nobody" picks them! Do they think it's funny to piss people off like that? And the comments just say "You're wrong, I love the Grass Starter!" and none of them address how much of a problem this is! Can someone help me?

  15. #365
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Lol they do suck dude i like picking bulbasaur for example because it makes the game more challenging and i need to actually build a team to pass gyms

  16. #366
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3HUNNASAUR View Post
    Lol they do suck dude i like picking bulbasaur for example because it makes the game more challenging and i need to actually build a team to pass gyms
    Actually venusaur is strong against the first 4 gyms in kanto although in Fire Red bulbasaur had bad attacks.. if fire red was a gen 5 game bulbasaur would be the best for 6/8 of the gyms and decent for the elite 4.


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  17. #367
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Grass type Pokemon may have a lot of weaknesses and generally poor offensive stats; however, that doesn't mean that they're completely useless or weak. Grass type Pokemon have their own methods of fighting, and it's more of the defensive way (especially HP absorbing moves and status changing moves) that really makes the grass types shine. While they may serve better as supporters, they can still be deadly in the right hands.
    Black Team:

    Currently replaying Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver!

  18. #368
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gravity Falls, Oregon
    Posts
    51

    Default

    I use water type so I battle grass type starters even if i'm using a type other then water they can be challening (maybe bucause you probly wouldn't catch me using fire types much)
    Why can't I be Free?

  19. #369
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I just want to know if the hate comes from the reputation of grass in real life, or the gameplay being too hard with the Grass starter. I'd rather it be about the gameplay, because if it's about the former reason, that proves how dumb people are. That they just want the one that looks cool (Charizard) and hate the least cool looking Pokemon. That is what makes me mad. I hope it's because they suck ingame and not out of the game. Because I agree, even though I always picked te Grass starter, that they have many weaknesses and barely any moves to counter them. But I don't want it to be a physical appeal thing.

  20. #370
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    130

    Default

    ^I personally think it's because the game is generally more challenging if one doesn't know how to handle a Grass type effectively. At least with fire type and water type starter Pokemon, they learn some strong offensive moves earlier on; however, a different strategy is required when you go with grass types. Most of the grass Pokemon seem to be more defense oriented and as a result, the player needs to know how to play defensively with a strategy of defeating his or her foes. Of course, there are the more offensive based grass types; however, most seem to be less offensive from a standpoint. They learn less offensive moves; however, they still have some deadly moves in status inflicting moves as well as some other long term effect moves.

    I personally love grass types as while they may take longer to muster, they're worth the challenge and can be very useful and fun team additions.
    Black Team:

    Currently replaying Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver!

  21. #371
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Your soul.... *nibble*
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    As for the worst type, I'd say either Poison or Ice is worse. Poison is terrible offensively, though pretty good defensively.
    I disagree, arbok and toxicroak are definitely offensive and have been some of my best pokemon. and I've been defeated by a good weazing before. it depends how u use it and train it really. just a majority of ppl dont know how to use it


    still in the process of plotting out team. want it to be unique and amazing. gardevoir will be included even if she's over used xD and mighteyena cuz they r awesomazing.

    send me a friend request please ^_^

  22. #372
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PancakeBoy View Post
    OK, can somebody help me? I'm friggin tired of these posts everywhere about how grass starters suck. I'm not talking about competitive battling stuff, or how good the type is, but I'm talking about this meme/mentality that people have that Grass starters suck. Just because the original Fire type starter was a dragon (an animal known as one of the coolest of them all) and that Fire and Water can directly hurt people, but Grass can't, that caused this mentality that Grass sucks! I'm so freaking annoyed by that. When I look at funny pictures about Pokemon on Memebase or something, and now and then I see one about how the Grass starter sucks and that "nobody" picks them! Do they think it's funny to piss people off like that? And the comments just say "You're wrong, I love the Grass Starter!" and none of them address how much of a problem this is! Can someone help me?
    I think venusaur is cool looking but i mean everyone has different taste

  23. #373
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Focus Aipom View Post
    ^I personally think it's because the game is generally more challenging if one doesn't know how to handle a Grass type effectively. At least with fire type and water type starter Pokemon, they learn some strong offensive moves earlier on; however, a different strategy is required when you go with grass types. Most of the grass Pokemon seem to be more defense oriented and as a result, the player needs to know how to play defensively with a strategy of defeating his or her foes. Of course, there are the more offensive based grass types; however, most seem to be less offensive from a standpoint. They learn less offensive moves; however, they still have some deadly moves in status inflicting moves as well as some other long term effect moves.

    I personally love grass types as while they may take longer to muster, they're worth the challenge and can be very useful and fun team additions.
    I totally agree i like the challenge of learning things not just knowing water beats fire

  24. #374
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    I think a defensive Fire starter is long overdue.

    I mean, Grass and Water usually do something new and have had quite a variety.
    Grass has had a spA/spD, mixed defense, a fast sweeper, atk/def, and a quick and bulky annoyer. The only thing it didn't do yet is a serious mixed offense.
    Water has had mixed defensive, atk/def, bulky atk, spA/spD, mixed offense. The only thing it hasnt tried so far is something fast.

    Whereas Fire.................
    special sweeper
    special sweeper (literaly the same stats as first)
    mixed offense
    same just faster
    same but high HP instead of speed

    not to mention the last 3 were all Fighting, while Grass/Water have 3 pure types each..

    They need to stop that and try to make a Fire starter that doesn't have both attack stats 100 or higher...


    Heres what Id add next to spice things up.

    Something that packs a punch and does it fast for Grass... a Grass/Flying starter with stats along the lines of:
    80/115/70/65/95/105
    like a physical version of Charizard now that I think of it lol.

    A defensive Fire starter!
    85/70/105/90/85/95

    Some serious threat. Water/Dark or Water/Fight or Water/Poison even... we haven't seen that type since Venusaur too lol.
    70/75/85/105/75/120
    Last edited by Mitja; 28th October 2012 at 2:11 AM.

  25. #375
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BearTown View Post
    it depends how u use it and train it really. just a majority of ppl dont know how to use it
    Not really. Poison is a mediocre type, regardless of how you use it.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •