Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Quote Originally Posted by TakenGrace View Post
    but the poison makes zero sense because If you get poisoned in real life there is usually a plant around that can cure it.
    I agree, I never really understood why grass is weak to poison and why poison resists it. I think it's one of the disadvantages that grass didn't really need. i would also go as far to say that it should be the same for flying types, seeing as everything can potentially eat grass, not just flying types, so it makes little sense compared to flying types being SE against bugs. Anyway, I don't think grass starters are the worst. I wouldn't exactly say Venusaur, Sceptile and Serperior suck. And the grass type is definitely not the worst. They're not as easy to use because of their unnecessary disadvantages, but with the right support they can work.

Former OSL Grass Gym Leader #8

[IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dnk3es.jpg[/IMG]

it makes sense that grass is weak to poison. what do you kill weeds on your lawn with poison.

Poison kills plants. So yeah, it makes total sense to it to be SE against the Grass-Type.

Poison kills more than just weeds. And considering poison comes from plants....

Former OSL Grass Gym Leader #8

[IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dnk3es.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by kabzy View Post
    Poison kills more than just weeds. And considering poison comes from plants....
    Just about any group of living thing can produce poison: various animals, plants, fungi, bacteria do so. Not to mention that the poison type doesn't just include naturally produced Poisons, but toxic waste, garbage and, for some reason, acids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Poison makes perfect sense. Really, I think grass is better than fire for competitive play with Rain teams running around everywhere. In game its probably the worst though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    Just about any group of living thing can produce poison: various animals, plants, fungi, bacteria do so. Not to mention that the poison type doesn't just include naturally produced Poisons, but toxic waste, garbage and, for some reason, acids.
    Many acids are lethal to humans. I think that because poisons can generally kill people if they're ingested, so can lethal acids like sulfuric or hydrofluoric acids.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Fighting uses physical strentgh and martial arts, Dark uses unfair attacks and cheap tricks... and Poison gains an advantage by making the opponent weak by negatively affecting its health.

So toxins, acids, diseases, viruses, waste.... heck probably even radioactivity.

Actually, I don't believe that Grass is the weakest type. If you look at it from a strategic point of view, Grass is actually the most economically effective in the game. With access to absorption and draining moves, you can save a lot of money on Potions and other healing remedies. A lot of Pokemon with grass typings also have access to a lot of status inducing moves which is quite useful in catching pokemon and in the competitive field. Grass type Pokemon also are affected the most from weather (due to their affinity to weather I s'pose) and weather teams are big in the current OU metagame.
    Lol, well in the end you can't really say that Grass is the worst starter or the worst type as every single Pokemon has their strengths and weaknesses. That's why we have teams consisting of Pokemom that are able to synergize and help each other out. A type being the best or the worst is simply a matter of opinion.
    Flying is the best type and the best starters are Fire. Lolol
    {CURSED by the Random Number Goddess}

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
    "We do have a lot in common. The same Earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of looking at what's different...Well who knows?" -Meowth
    "It's more important to master the cards you're working with than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." -Elite Four Grimsley

Levels and statistics are just numbers.

Yes, Grass is, by typing standards, horrid. However, Grass is my favorite because it is so challenging to use effectively. My favorite starter is actually Meganium, followed by Snivy, Bulbasaur, Mudkip and Piplup. I think Grass Pokemon are beautiful. They can learn really cool moves, and they are all very interesting. I see why people dislike the type, as it does have a lot against it, but nothing can stop me from using it.
    My Shines (Gifts/GTS, some RE): -Lucky, -Pichu, -Raichu, - Vileplume, -Bellera, -Hunbro, -Entei, - Darunia, -Burning, -Mew, -Flybea, - Azumarill, -Weavile, -Arceus, - Blaxorus, -Janine, -Swampert, -O'kee, -Purple, -Suicune, -Raikou, -Furret, -Blupo, -Charming (first random encounter on Black), -Blingblang, -Tempos, -Whiscash, -Rueben and Rubri, -Goragal, -Starmie, -Porygon-Z, -Athena, -Jim Bo, -Pinkeye (first ever shiny encounter on Emerald).

I think I iterated on this a bit before, but a reason that I think the Grass type is worse compared to other types is that the nature of the metagames around which the games revolves (both casual and competitive) don't really call for the Grass type's annoyance and stall tactics as much as, say, the Fighting type's sweeping tactics.

Grass has always been a fav of mine. although that is not taking anything competitive into account. With so many bulky water types, drought( or Sunny Day) and solorbeam can be very powerful. Spore is also lethal.

Black FC: 0905 8203 0859

Perhaps the reason why the author questioned this was because he/she is not the stalling type of person. but rather the aggressor type.

Personal observations as how some people see the three basic types. Society and State of mind topics I bet

Fire = Power, Courage, Aggressiveness, Intimidation, Wild
    Water = Calm, Noble, Unrivaled, Bold, Composed
    Grass = Wise, Determination, Cunning, Respected, Diversity

and some other types with Society and State of mind quotes (of course opinions may vary I know that. Still coming from personal observations)

Dragon = Royalty, Legendary, Defiant
    Dark = Traitorous, sinful, sides with the devil, corrupt
    Bug = Swarms / Phobia of bugs, numerous
    Ghost = Paranormal, the dead, shadows, unusual rituals
    Psychic = Supernatural, purity of mind, sides with god
    Rock = Minerals and Gems, sturdy
    Ground = Earth itself
    Steel = impenetrable, difficult to break
    Ice = Seclusive and cold, beautiful, distant
    Normal = Simplicity, Neutral, no Specialization
    Flying = Winds / Wings, adventurous
    Poison = Wastes, Virus, Sickness,
    Fighting = Heroes, Martial Arts, battle ready, competitive
    Electric = Energy, Lightning, Thunder, Violent
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I totally agree with Grass not being the worst type. As Skevengal said, a lot of Grass attacks are pretty darn nasty draining attacks. This includes the nastiest of all, Leech Seed, which only Grass-types are immune to. And a lot of Grass Pokemon have some interesting abilities. Lilligant and Whimsicott are interesting examples: Whimsicott can have the Prankster ability which it can use to become a major status annoyance, and Lilligant can have the Own Tempo ability and avoid confusion after using Petal Dance.

And Grass attacks have pretty decent type coverage, at least compared to some other types. Poison especially, being only super-effective against Grass Pokemon and having several weaknesses. What's up with that?

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Gauntlet of the Greek God Guardians (Zuri), Castle of the Vampire King (Bianca and Lilith)
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

I do not think you know what dwarfed means.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    I do not think you know what dwarfed means.
    To make little?

The thread creator argued that the Grass type has a littler scope of usefulness than Fire and Water do?

i dont know why people are complaining about poison being strong against grass. It's the only type poison is strong against. And if you try to rationalize what poison should be strong against, it should be strong against pretty much any type except for types of inanimate objects like rock and steel, maybe ghost, since there is stuff thats poison to just about everything. The worst type in my book is ice. Sure, offensively its good, but defensively? only resists itself and weak to rock, fighting, fire and steel, three of them being common attacking types? there's pretty much no reason to be ice type. Just ask the regular kyurem what he thinks about being ice.

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Respected
    Really? Grass, respected? lol

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Dark = sides with the devil
    Psychic = sides with god
    uh

not really

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Really? Grass, respected? lol
    What the person you quoted meant was that to them, Grass represents the idea of respect. They didn't mean that Grass is one of the most-respected types out there (as shown by this thread).

I like grass types (bulbasaur being at the top of my list of favorites). With a move set that includes leech seed, giga drain, toxic/poison powder, bind....you can wear an opponent down and restore health at the same time.

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    I like grass types (bulbasaur being at the top of my list of favorites). With a move set that includes leech seed, giga drain, toxic/poison powder, bind....you can wear an opponent down and restore health at the same time.

B
    thats basically what i do.
    i use venusaur and ferrothorn usually
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I think grass type starters would make excellent defense considering leech seed and the various drain moves however their stats are too average at best. It's pretty disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Of Keys View Post
    I think grass type starters would make excellent defense considering leech seed and the various drain moves however their stats are too average at best. It's pretty disappointing
    If Grass had less weaknesses it would be an excellent defensive type indeed. It is like Rock... Which have above average defense, but a lot of weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Of Keys View Post
    I'd say that Leech Seed and Giga Drain would make the Grass type a pretty good saboteur type. Forcing the foe to deplete more than 100% of a Grass Pokémon's health isn't enough to warrant a "defensive" label, I don't think.

More defensive than offensive, though, that's a different story altogether.

I think grass type Pokemon are actually pretty decent because if you know how to do combanations grass pokemon like Venusaur will be an ideal choice.
    Moves: Leech seed, Sleep powder, Giga drain, Earthquake Item: Left overs

Created by Inferno Productions

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast