Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Grass types are not that bad but Water and Fire types are better

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    thats basically what i do.
    i use venusaur and ferrothorn usually
    yup!! I have yet to use ferrothorn but I plan to, I wish it could learn baton pass!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Belmont View Post
    Grass types are not that bad but Water and Fire types are better
    That is subjective and based entirely on your teams approach

B
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 9th November 2012 at 6:50 PM.
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

I prefer grass Pokemon as my starters and especially Sceptile and they have a lot fo weakness to many types but if properly trained and with good coverage they can be great just like many people have suggested.
    X FC 1650 1536 9669

Grass is perfectly fine...Water is great for beginners as most water starters have balanced stats, fire is good for a bit of a challenge and grass...well grass is for those kinds of people who like a challenge...grass is and will always be my favourite type.
    Went to the book store to get a Where's Waldo book.
    Couldn't find any.
    Well played Waldo...well played

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    thats basically what i do.
    i use venusaur and ferrothorn usually
    Venusaur IMO is a beast sweeper.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroKorogu View Post
    Grass is perfectly fine...Water is great for beginners as most water starters have balanced stats, fire is good for a bit of a challenge and grass...well grass is for those kinds of people who like a challenge...grass is and will always be my favourite type.
    grass is only considered a challenge from gen 2 on i believe. In gen 1, fire was the challenge type

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)

Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    grass is only considered a challenge from gen 2 on i believe. In gen 1, fire was the challenge type
    In terms of effectiveness against gym leaders, yes, but in terms of overall gameplay, I wouldn't find much that prevents anybody from disagreeing.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I disagree. Grass types make up for their abundance of weaknesses by having defensive move sets and subseeding abilities. Then again, I can't exactly answer for it compared to all the other types...
    ~Fact of the Whenever~
    Life gives you lemons because a large portion of humanity wasn't thankful for the grapes it already had. Please treat all fruit with respect.

Eh sometimes the ground and water resist is worth it. Or its paired with steel.

I always, Always, ALWAYS! choose the grass starter <3

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

torterra is the best Gen IV starter, so shut up.
    grass types don't need to worry about being KO'd so easily, atleast the ones worth using. Torterra, tangrowth and my favourite ferrothorn have nothing to worry about. Should be able to last atleast one hit.
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Wailmer View Post
    torterra is the best Gen IV starter, so shut up.
    grass types don't need to worry about being KO'd so easily, atleast the ones worth using. Torterra, tangrowth and my favourite ferrothorn have nothing to worry about. Should be able to last atleast one hit.
    Infernape is.

Also torterra dies to ice, ferrothorn to fire, and tangrowth to any SE special attack.

I always choose the Grass starter, partially in remembrance of my first save file, and partially because I just like their aesthetics.

As a type they could do better, but in my opinion, Fire types are probably worse off, what with the fairly equal or greater amount of weaknesses and the large amounts of bulky water types that tend to outnumber them.

Creating sentience is simple. Accepting it, however, is harder than it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Infernape is.

Also torterra dies to ice, ferrothorn to fire, and tangrowth to any SE special attack.
    In my opinion Inernape is one of the worst starters of all gens...my opinion though.

also torterra can survive ice attacks from pretty much any poke except an ice type, but lets face it you arent going to willing keep it out there if someone drops an ice type on the field

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    In terms of effectiveness against gym leaders, yes, but in terms of overall gameplay, I wouldn't find much that prevents anybody from disagreeing.
    are you referring to ease of gameplay? overall gameplay is again subjective to who his is playing.

B
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 9th November 2012 at 6:11 PM.

Grass isn't usually my first choice in starters, typing and design wise.
    1st gen: bulbasaur and its evolutions were the 'easy' option i think in terms of typing as it was great for the first 3 gyms. However, aesthetically it was rather underwhelming with all of the other 6(starters and evolutions) looking better
    2nd gen: I really liked all of the starters in thing gen and that is including grass, they all looked great but were weak to the first gym
    3rd gen: Didn't really like treeko and its forms but typing was good for the first gym
    4th gen: i actually like turtwig and co. and torterra's ground 2nd type. it was good for the gyms and looked good (though i didn't like grotle so much)
    5th gen: HATE serperior!! in bw its type didn't matter greatly for the first few gyms, but in b2w2 it was weak against the 2nd gym
    so 3/5 i don't really like but there are some good grass starters
    Everything seems normal, with Joe and Adam venturing on their quest through Kanto, but what is the mysterious Team Storm planning?

Pokemon: Kanto Legends

Come on the Mighty Infernape!

I personally don't usually use grass types. I prefer electric types and when i choose a starter it is usually water type. Grass has to many weaknesses for my taste. If i need grass coverage, which is quite rare i use a none grass type pokemon and teach it a grass type move through TM.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Quote Originally Posted by RinRin View Post
    I've never liked grass type either, it always seemed to weak. Although when I was younger I used to pwn with it. These days my fave is definitely fire; I am usually able to beat the game with just my starter and a couple HM slaves.
    This. Grass is nothing. WATER AND STEEL!
    1) You noticed this
    2) You wonder why the heck this is numbered
    4) You see that I like Steel types
    5) You realize I skipped 3
    6) You will put this in YOUR siggy
    7) started by <Steeltype>

Well Venasaur, Sceptile and Torterra are all very good Pokémon, Venasaur recently became very good competitively, Sceptile has always been pretty strong with it's awesome speed and very decent dual attack stats, Torterra while rather unpopular does have high attack and defense and STAB Earthquake, something no other grass starter has making it able to knock out fire types easily.

Plat FC: Restarted recently. Update later.
    HG FC: 0820 1928 9654
    White FC: 1550 7122 1586
    Black 2 FC: 3526 4292 5271
    3DS: 2809-8335-2844
    Screen Name: Atli

Quote Originally Posted by Sheimi-Shaymin View Post
    Then you sir, must be burned. May I graciously pour gasoline onto your person and ignite you with a match, and allow my farts to viciously make the flames bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlidevil View Post
    Well Venasaur, Sceptile and Torterra are all very good Pokémon, Venasaur recently became very good competitively, Sceptile has always been pretty strong with it's awesome speed and very decent dual attack stats, Torterra while rather unpopular does have high attack and defense and STAB Earthquake, something no other grass starter has making it able to knock out fire types easily.
    ^ This, not all grass types are weak, grass would be a great type if it didn't have so many weaknesses, most grass types have so much potental only to be thrown away because of all their disadvantages.
    Thanks Chapter of Charizard for the userbar

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Infernape is.
    Prove it.

Salamence and Dragonite are quad-weak to Ice, and Scizor is quad-weak to Fire, but those Pokémon don't automatically suck just because of their type weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kingdom of Earth~ View Post
    ^ This, not all grass types are weak, grass would be a great type if it didn't have so many weaknesses, most grass types have so much potental only to be thrown away because of all their disadvantages.
    Except the thread isn't asking if all grass types are weaklings.

It's asking if grass is a horrible type.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Except the thread isn't asking if all grass types are weaklings.

It's asking if grass is a horrible type.
    The simple answer to that is 'yes' in terms of both offense and defense. Game Freak created a game where the typings are unique instead of a game of Rock Paper Scissors where everything is just equal, so inevitably certain types would be bad. Certain types are good offensively or defensively, a few are all rounder and we also have those not so great ones. But the good thing about this game is how many other factors affect the overall effectiveness of a Pokemon, not just typing.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 10th November 2012 at 4:27 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    The simple answer to that is 'yes' in terms of both offense and defense. Game Freak created a game where the typings are unique instead of a game of Rock Paper Scissors where everything is just equal, so inevitably certain types would be bad. Certain types are good offensively or defensively, a few are all rounder and we also have those not so great ones. But the good thing about this game is how many other factors affect the overall effectiveness of a Pokemon, not just typing.
    I really do appreciate that about the games. (:

To say that Grass is a bad type defensively based on the defensiveness of Pokémon alone would be erroneous, as I've already said before, but I like how the Grass type's moves sort of compensate for their general lack of defense type matchups.
    Last edited by Wishing Star; 11th November 2012 at 2:21 AM.

Grass is bad offensives and defensively? Guess Tangrowth/Ferrothorn/Celebi/etc are NU

While I don't like the grass type, I actually think it isn''t a bad type at all. Even if it has some major weaknesses it can still be pretty good.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast