Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Grass is bad offensives and defensively? Guess Tangrowth/Ferrothorn/Celebi/etc are NU
    The Grass type is lackluster offensively and defensively only when compared to other types and only when considering averages, I'd say, but not Celebi, Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, Breloom, and certain others specifically. (:

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I actually have been thinking instead of Rock being the worst, it's Psychic IMO. Rock and Grass have been paired up with it (see Solrock, Lunatone, Celebi, Exeggcute, and Exeggcutor) who were given seven weakness by that type. It could be vice versa but still to me.

Grass is bad offensives and defensively? Guess Tangrowth/Ferrothorn/Celebi/etc are NU
    Ferrothorn is NU? O+O ...Either I suck at keeping track of tiers or I am just a failure cuz I see Ferrothorn used a LOT in random matchup. But meh, I think their are worst types ^^; Grass is good in my opinion. :3
    MMing: Espurr, 90 eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Good. You can never understand the mindset of a woman.

All grass types need are reliable stab. Leaf blade and solarbeam without sun doesn't cut it. It's definitely not the worst type. Look at sub punch loom,chlorophyll venusaur,wall ferrothorn,skymin in general,prankster whimsicott(annoying)
    Sun boosted,banded,+6,STAB max attack,x4 Super effective V-Creation

I actually have been thinking instead of Rock being the worst, it's Psychic IMO. Rock and Grass have been paired up with it (see Solrock, Lunatone, Celebi, Exeggcute, and Exeggcutor) who were given seven weakness by that type. It could be vice versa but still to me.
    Wait, Rock and Psychic are bad types to you just because when they're paired up with a type, the type combinations have seven weaknesses? o_o

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireIris View Post
    Ferrothorn is NU? O+O ...Either I suck at keeping track of tiers or I am just a failure cuz I see Ferrothorn used a LOT in random matchup. But meh, I think their are worst types ^^; Grass is good in my opinion. :3
    Ferrothorn is OU, mostly due to it being a Steel-Type than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post

Actually it's his Grass typing that helped him reach there and to also counter the Lati's, and nearly all Water types in the game.
    Last edited by Dragalge; 11th November 2012 at 4:12 AM.

Of course, its high Defense and its Water resistance help as well. (:

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Of course, its high Defense and its Water resistance help as well. (:
    Its high defense is a major feature in most of the Steel-Type Pokémon, but yeah, the the Grass-Type helps with resistance to both Water- and Electric-Types.

Its high defense is a major feature in most of the Steel-Type Pokémon, but yeah, the the Grass-Type helps with resistance to both Water- and Electric-Types.
    Oh yes... especially those pesky bulky Water-types that are also surprisingly extremely physically powerful. :P

Blame Politoed and Drizzle for making Electric and Water more common nowadays. At least it isn't roses for the toed due to Ferrothorns arrival. Too many Rain abusers, weather must end.

Blame Politoed and Drizzle for making Electric and Water more common nowadays. At least it isn't roses for the toed due to Ferrothorns arrival. Too many Rain abusers, weather must end.
    I wouldn't say that weather must end, just that people should be able to use other teams for a change. But yes, Ferrothorn is a pretty nice rain check (double entendre not intended).

Coming in without any reference to any current conversations here, but I'd argue that Ice is the worst type.

Nice STAB, but weak to Stealth Rock, Fighting, Fire (both of which are used frequently to get Steel types), and it usually hinders the movepool a Pokemon receives. Just look at Vanniluxe. Grass types can usually count on getting Leech Seed.

The shining example of this is Kyurem, whose Ice typing single-handedly prevented him from being any type of useful in the face of, say, Jirachi, or Tyranitar.

...Purely from a competitive stance, of course. Otherwise, I'd just argue that for it to make sense, Grass type should be named Plant or Forest type.

Quote Originally Posted by chanseychansey77 View Post
    Coming in without any reference to any current conversations here, but I'd argue that Ice is the worst type.

Nice STAB, but weak to Stealth Rock, Fighting, Fire (both of which are used frequently to get Steel types), and it usually hinders the movepool a Pokemon receives. Just look at Vanniluxe. Grass types can usually count on getting Leech Seed.

The shining example of this is Kyurem, whose Ice typing single-handedly prevented him from being any type of useful in the face of, say, Jirachi, or Tyranitar.

...Purely from a competitive stance, of course. Otherwise, I'd just argue that for it to make sense, Grass type should be named Plant or Forest type.
    Yeah, Ice isn't really good in terms of nabbing super effective hits, but I think one of the reasons why people don't generally say that Ice is in the list of bottom three types is because of its general neutral effectiveness against most other types.

Of course, there are Pokémon like Beartic and Glalie that suffer from the Ice-type "curse" that prevents them from being too competitively viable, yeah... :/

Funny that you mentioned it, because the pure grass type just happens to be in the lowest tier of the three Pokemon. I didn't say Grass Pokemon are inherently bad, but you have to agree that typing wise most people aren't too excited to see a pure grass or half grass type Pokemon, instead of giving the same old examples that are probably mentioned to death in the earlier pages. The way Game Freak evens out the playing field for Grass type is to give some of them useful abilities like Chlorophyll or stall moves like Leech Seed, to compensate for their poor coverage in terms of offense and multiple weakness.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 11th November 2012 at 10:02 AM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

I don't think grass having as many weaknesses as it does hurts the type so much as to give it a disadvantage. I just think that it isn't used as often since the grass pokemon in some later games aren't as "cool", or "commonly used" compared to earlier grass types and they can be scarce to find the "popular" ones. This also brings up how if you didn't choose Chimchar as your starter in D/P, the only other Fire-type you could get in-game before the Elite Four and National Dex was Ponyta/Rapidash. That always annoyed me.

Quote Originally Posted by chanseychansey77 View Post
    And I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by swampsperts View Post
    This also brings up how if you didn't choose Chimchar as your starter in D/P, the only other Fire-type you could get in-game before the Elite Four and National Dex was Ponyta/Rapidash. That always annoyed me.
    I just think that was pure coincidental oversight rather than an intended handicap for the other two starter types. But yes, one could argue that the very, very limited distribution of Fire-type Pokémon in D/P made the Fire type worse or better, whether or not the limited distribution was intentional.

I'll admit that Ice is worse than grass, but just because Ice's weakness are types that are more common unlike Grass, in which Poison and Flying isn't to much to worry about.

In game I think grass types are great, they get Leech Seed and draining moves to reduce the amount of money spent on items and trips to Poke-centres. Besides the inherent infestation of Geodude (or any other Rock/Ground type for that matter) in almost every cave allows you to combat the Bug, Fire, Flying and Poison weaknesses really quickly in most games, as well as their Ice weakness less well than the others. In competitive battles there sadly does seem to be a large number of cool grass types which just aren't good enough to use.
    5th gen DW Females for trade: If you would like one, message me and we can sort something out.

3DS Friend Code: 0060-9650-3356, looking for Dragon friend safaris especially hidden ability Dratinis/Dragonairs, PM me if you have one please.
    Black Friend Code: 1248 8541 3806
    Time Zone GMT

I'll admit that Ice is worse than grass, but just because Ice's weakness are types that are more common unlike Grass, in which Poison and Flying isn't to much to worry about.
    That's in terms of the weaknesses of the two types, though. How about the offensiveness of the Ice type?

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    That's in terms of the weaknesses of the two types, though. How about the offensiveness of the Ice type?
    Ice is definitely one of the three best offensive types in the game with Ground and Fighting. Speaking of Ground, the Swinub line covers more types with its STABs then any other Pokemon in the game I believe.

This also brings up how if you didn't choose Chimchar as your starter in D/P, the only other Fire-type you could get in-game before the Elite Four and National Dex was Ponyta/Rapidash. That always annoyed me.
    There is 17 types. You can still have a team full of dual types without a single Fire one.

Ill never understand why so many people MUST have at least a Fire one... why not Ice or Dragon or something. Ive had several playthroughs of different games without Fire pokemon, and they were as fun as any other.

And then this whole "not enough Fire types to choose from", when you have 2 which both have great stats and one is freakin Infernape.
    Just look at some of the other types and you'll notice the game is not anti-Fire.
    -Bug: Aside from Heracross and perhaps Vespiquen (which barely anyone would bother getting anyway) they are all awfully weak
    -Electric: Luxray or Raichu, which is again similar situation except that they're both weaker than the Fire options.
    -Ice: Weavile or Abomasnow, same situation.
    -Dragon: Garchomp. Sure its OP, but just that single one. So by your logic, if Dragon was the only type that mattered instead of Fire, your choice would be Garchomp or nothing. With Fire you have an alternative.

Its a wonder we actually had to choose between 3 proper Ghosts in those games, why not take it and use them instead for a change then xD?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    There is 17 types. You can still have a team full of dual types without a single Fire one.

Ill never understand why so many people MUST have at least a Fire one... why not Ice or Dragon or something. Ive had several playthroughs of different games without Fire pokemon, and they were as fun as any other.
    In the case of other regions, there are more Pokémon to choose from for every type. In D/P's case, however, if the player doesn't have a Fire-type on their team, it's not because they choose not to use a Fire-type even though there are many to choose from, it's because the player chooses not to use a Fire-type because they don't like using the only Fire-type Pokémon that's given to them. (Of course, this doesn't include the starters.)

So? Fire-Type isn't essential in a team. To be honest, it is even better to not waste a slot with one, imo.
    This type is so overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    -Bug: Aside from Heracross and perhaps Vespiquen (which barely anyone would bother getting anyway) they are all awfully weak.
    I did and holy crap, that Pokémon is surprisingly good, at least for in-game runs. Defend, Attack and Heal Order + Power Gen = Win.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast