Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    So? Fire-Type isn't essential in a team. To be honest, it is even better to not waste a slot with one, imo.
    This type is so overrated.
    Then again, neither is a Pokémon of any other type, either. :/

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

So? Fire-Type isn't essential in a team. To be honest, it is even better to not waste a slot with one, imo.
    This type is so overrated.

Thing is, I enjoy fire types. They are really aggressive and can cause a lot of burns and poison if you're into the smog scene (I prefer toxic any day though, better bad poisoning than damage with a low chance of norm poison). I prefer Serperior over Emboar though.
    What is Life's Greatest Illusion?
    Innocence, my brother...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FusRoDah View Post
    I prefer Serperior over Emboar though.
    In terms of looks, definitely. In terms of role in battle, I'd have to say that it's a tie between Serperior and Emboar, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    In terms of looks, definitely. In terms of role in battle, I'd have to say that it's a tie between Serperior and Emboar, yeah.
    I agree, Serperior gets Aqua Tail in B2/W2, but Emboar gets STAB fire attacks, which make it tie up with Serperior.
    Innocence, my brother...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FusRoDah View Post
    I agree, Serperior gets Aqua Tail in B2/W2, but Emboar gets STAB fire attacks, which make it tie up with Serperior.
    It actually wasn't Aqua Tail and Dragon Pulse specifically that made me say that Serperior and Emboar were tied in terms of role in battle. I just like the group of above-average defensive Grass-type Pokémon (Serperior, Meganium, etc.), I guess. (:

I prefer Emboar over Serperior. Its design pleases me the most among the Generation V starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Then again, neither is a Pokémon of any other type, either. :/
    And that was exactly my point. I didn't say a type was essential, did I?

And that was exactly my point. I didn't say a type was essential, did I?
    It's true that no type is required on a Pokémon team. However, nowadays, there's a problem when a type of Pokémon isn't included because of how few Pokémon of that type there are.

Yeah Breloom is in the top 10 usage stats I doubt its that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Ice is definitely one of the three best offensive types in the game with Ground and Fighting. Speaking of Ground, the Swinub line covers more types with its STABs then any other Pokemon in the game I believe.
    swinub line is also has the advantage of not being weak to rock which makes it unique among ice types.
    My Favorite Pokemon
    Zangoose --- Moonlight_Tails --- November 22nd, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight_Tails View Post
    swinub line is also has the advantage of not being weak to rock which makes it unique among ice types.
    Which is why my Shiny Mamoswine with Perfect attack IVs and Snow Cloak is epic, caught it myself as a Piloswine in a double ambush in Giant Chasm back in August.
    Innocence, my brother...

Mamoswine's defenses are crap. All it's really good for is getting that one salamence/garchomp/landorus/dragonite kill.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Mamoswine's defenses are crap. All it's really good for is getting that one salamence/garchomp/landorus/dragonite kill.
    Its bulk isn't that shabby. But regardless of how bulky it is, you can't really have it both ways. :/

Grass is not a type I use often but since the introduction of Gen 5, I have to say that I prefer it over fire. There are only a Few Fire types that I really like. Arcanine, Torkoal, Blaziken.

Fave Grass types
    Serperior
    Tropius
    Breloom
    Sawsbuck
    Torterra
    Ferrothorn
    Last edited by Moonlight_Tails; 12th November 2012 at 7:24 AM.
    My Favorite Pokemon

Grass is not a type I use often but since the introduction of Gen 5, I have to say that I prefer it over fire. There are only a Few Fire types that I really like.
    On that subject, I'd have to say that I like Serperior, Meganium, Ferrothorn, Venusaur, Breloom, Sawsbuck, and Torterra, as well as Blaziken, Arcanine, Typhlosion, and Ninetales.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Grass is more of support like Leech Seed while helping bring sun and sweep with its other coverage moves like Venasaur with access to Chlorophyll along with Growth and going mixed
    good point, but grass is usually left off of my team in favor of another type. Water is a must have, I would say even more so than fire, especially with most fire starters changing type (water has always kept it true to type with the exception of Empoleon, which is actually pretty awesome type mix)

Looking for: Lansat & Staraf Berries
    Have Enigma Berry and every other berry if you're willing to help out?

Water only has two weaknesses (Grass and Electric) whereas Grass and Fire each have 3 (Fire, Flying, Bug and Water, Ground, Rock) Which gives it a slight advantage over the other 2. Empoleon Rocks. I just wish it wasn't so prone to Earthquake and Close Combat/Superpower etc. which are all too common.
    My Favorite Pokemon

Grass type isnt that bad. They can sustain themself pretty nicely. Such as having a Serperior holding leftovers and letting it learn leech seed and giga drain. You will never lose hp that easily even if you are up against someone that can counter you :O
    Im just saying my opinion xD Pls dont judge T.T .

Water only has two weaknesses (Grass and Electric) whereas Grass and Fire each have 3 (Fire, Flying, Bug and Water, Ground, Rock) Which gives it a slight advantage over the other 2. Empoleon Rocks. I just wish it wasn't so prone to Earthquake and Close Combat/Superpower etc. which are all too common.
    This is the sole reason I rarely used Empoleon. Sad if you ask me, a believable dweller of the distant north end of Sinnoh, being a Penguin who lives in icy areas. Being half steel, it made them seem more believably tough.
    Innocence, my brother...

Water only has two weaknesses (Grass and Electric) whereas Grass and Fire each have 3 (Fire, Flying, Bug and Water, Ground, Rock) Which gives it a slight advantage over the other 2.
    Factor in that along with the general bulkiness of most Water-type Pokémon and they can be great Pokémon. (:

You must be trolling here. Mamoswines bulk is very good enough for a spot on a team.

That all comes down to the match-up and how you are using it.

The Grass type sure is underrated, but it's nowhere near the worst starter.

I love Sceptile, Torterra and Serperior. Sceptile has excellent coverage against anything that threatens it, it can learn Rock Slide which checks 5/6 types, and Earthquake if Poison is an issue or you want extra protection against fire types. Leaf Blade kicks so much *** in regular cirucmstances, and that speed and special attack gives it a blessing. Torterra is a tank with it's attack/defense, and Serperior has the best of Sceptile AND Meganium, plus Contrary.

Other than all that, I agree that the Grass type is pretty weak defensively, thus seems underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    There is 17 types. You can still have a team full of dual types without a single Fire one.

Ill never understand why so many people MUST have at least a Fire one... why not Ice or Dragon or something. Ive had several playthroughs of different games without Fire pokemon, and they were as fun as any other.

And then this whole "not enough Fire types to choose from", when you have 2 which both have great stats and one is freakin Infernape.
    My own personal reasoning is how I always have to have a Fire and Grass and Water type on my team when I play a game. It's kind of a thing I've done as to make up for not getting all three starters. In addition, Fire is arguably my favorite type to use. So going through D/P for a second time, I didn't happen to choose Chimchar as my starter so I could change things up a bit, and seeing as I'm not a fan of Ponyta, I was hard-struck to find a fire type to use (I believe I ended up using a Skuntank with Flamethrower). If they gave more choices (like in Platinum with Magmortar and Houndoom), it would have been a much more enjoyable game for me. That's all. Never had a problem in my first playthrough when I chose Chimchar.

yea, can't even begin to say how frustrated I get when I pull out Empoleon and it gets 1-hit KO'ed by earthquake or close combat. All it's other resistances seem to make up for it though.

Looking for: Lansat & Staraf Berries
    Have Enigma Berry and every other berry if you're willing to help out?

Quote Originally Posted by swampsperts View Post
    My own personal reasoning is how I always have to have a Fire and Grass and Water type on my team when I play a game. It's kind of a thing I've done as to make up for not getting all three starters. In addition, Fire is arguably my favorite type to use. So going through D/P for a second time, I didn't happen to choose Chimchar as my starter so I could change things up a bit, and seeing as I'm not a fan of Ponyta, I was hard-struck to find a fire type to use (I believe I ended up using a Skuntank with Flamethrower). If they gave more choices (like in Platinum with Magmortar and Houndoom), it would have been a much more enjoyable game for me. That's all. Never had a problem in my first playthrough when I chose Chimchar.
    I have never chosen Chimchar and personally I don't care too much for types, I guess the ones that I must have is at least one water for HM purposes (I don't use HM slaves) I sometimes use water starters but I almost always choose grass, I guess I pretty much always have Dark and Grass types on my team but that is just personal preferences.

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast