Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

Quote Originally Posted by RainaXainne View Post
    I think Electricity could give grass a run for the money. It may not be effective against much, but it is only week against one thing.
    It's weak against Flying and Ice, too.

Grass being weak is a misconception. Offensively, yes; defensively, yes; but what the type generally specializes in doing, it's great at. The same could be said for Fire and Water; Fire mainly struggles with annoying the foe and defending, whereas Water is more defensive than Fire but less offensive than it. In that sense, each of the other two starter types--no, every other type as well--are weak.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I like snivy as a starter so I think grass being weak...no, it's like any other type, balance is the key to mastering any type

@wishing star: I think she meant electric types as the being weak to 1 type
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Azzimagica View Post
    [COLOR="#FFFFFF"][B]I like snivy as a starter so I think grass being weak...no, it's like any other type, balance is the key to mastering any type
    I definitely agree. If each type didn't have its own paradigm of sorts (offensive, defensive, supportive, enfeebling), then the types wouldn't be as unique as they are now.

At least in Gen 1, it basically breaks down like this:
    Grass: Rewarding at start, falters more and more over time.
    Fire: Difficult at start, but becomes more rewarding as time passes.
    Water: Pretty average.

This holds true, for a shorter margin, for most games where the Rock-type gym comes first, albeit with some shuffling around... but in general, Grass has its biggest uses in the early game, while the others tend to become more useful as the game goes on. Kind of a good bit of strategy there... tends to get be-futzed-with in later games mostly out of the shuffling of gym types and orders. Hey, if the games stayed stagnant, they wouldn't be fun.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post

This holds true, for a shorter margin, for most games where the Rock-type gym comes first, albeit with some shuffling around... but in general, Grass has its biggest uses in the early game, while the others tend to become more useful as the game goes on. Kind of a good bit of strategy there... tends to get be-futzed-with in later games mostly out of the shuffling of gym types and orders. Hey, if the games stayed stagnant, they wouldn't be fun.
    That holds true only to the extent of gym type matchups. The quality of the entire type depends much more than just that; however, gym type matchups do tell a lot about the offensive prowess of each of the three starter types.

Regardless, though, the three starter types do pretty much equal each other based on this.

Yeah Gym type advantages are far from the most important thing to consider when choosing a starter. You gotta look at stats, movepool, and most importantly make sure it and its evolutions look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    and most importantly make sure it and its evolutions look cool.
    That is really the most important aspect to me.

I support this discussion so much lol. I almost never pick the grass starter, exceptions are made for Bulbasaur cause gen 1 and Treeko because it looked kinda kewl (except Sceptile was a mess). I agree that is has a terrible offensive typing, a pretty average defensive typing and is mostly suited to support sets - ingame and in competitive. The grass type pokemon that actually shine though are always duel type, and usually usable due to their second typing or ability, such as Venusaur, Celebi, Roserade. They're all fighting resistant and resistant or neutral to ground, which are very common attacking types in competitive battling. As for ingame, I usually try to ditch my grass pokes as quickly as possible. If I need something to take down ground, rock or water types, I'd rather grab an electric and a water type.

Must...resist...urge...to stab...

I disagree. Grass type Pokemon have their place, just like any other type. Try to face Torterra with one of the other Sinnoh starters. Earthquake destroys both of them. The point is that all of the starters have some way to help them in battle. This doesn't even take into account that most of them look really cool. In gen 1, we had a dragon, a turtle, and a flower-dinosaur combo that shoots fricken' laser beams. In gen two... Let's not talk about gen 2. In gen three, though, you yourself said that Treecko's line is awesome. I've already explained gen four. In gen five, Snivy gets contrary from the dream world, which effectively prevents opponents from lowering its stats. My point is that grass starters are as good as any of the other starters.
    My fan-fic(Credit to Gelatino95 at Crazy Dragon Graphics for the userbar) Author's profile
    And here's an awesome RPG. It has dinosaurs!And a sprite comic, because I can't draw!

Please click my dragon(s)!

Quote Originally Posted by RainaXainne View Post
    I think Electricity could give grass a run for the money. It may not be effective against much, but it is only week against one thing.
    Perhaps electric COULD use another weakness. Ground cannot be the only thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    That holds true only to the extent of gym type matchups. The quality of the entire type depends much more than just that; however, gym type matchups do tell a lot about the offensive prowess of each of the three starter types.

Regardless, though, the three starter types do pretty much equal each other based on this.
    It really more reflects use across whole game (for ingame purposes), but that's just my guess. It does, indeed, not tell huge amounts. Move pools and stats play a big part, and Bulbasaur's first Grass-type attack is freaking Vine Whip, which for some reason has 10 PP when it should have at least 30. (Which is probably why Razor Leaf seems so earth-shatteringly powerful and why my brother and I considered it such BS that Bayleef got it in the second Rival fight in GS -- because by comparison to the previous game's first Grass move, it's far stronger and can be used so many more times.) So, there's a shafting point there. I mean, at least it's not like Squirtle gets Surf first or something.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    Yeah Gym type advantages are far from the most important thing to consider when choosing a starter. You gotta look at stats, movepool, and most importantly make sure it and its evolutions look cool.
    All the grass types look cool X3

Quote Originally Posted by WingBlast View Post
    "Never understood why to POISON".
    Look up the compound by the trademark name Glyphosate. (hint: it's in Round-Up, an herbicide.)

What I don't get, is how Grass isn't weak to steel-types. I know that's just another weakness, but come on! What do you use to cut your lawn? (Aside from plastic when you're weed whipping.) Axes, rotary blades, saws, etc., all made of iron, steel, or some conglomeration of the two. Steel has to be the second worse considered type for offense, second to poison of course. Don't get me started on poison's unjust treatment in the Pokemon franchise.

To make things more balanced, I'd recommend adding a resistance to Rock-type moves, and Fighting-moves for that matter! Weeds, trees, shrubs, etc. are hardly impeded by boulders and rocks, even if they are run down in a landslide. They just grow around it, or right themselves upward after such events. And Fighting is too powerful and way overrated. I don't care how many sit-ups you did this morning, no karate chop or punch is felling a bush or a tree. Fires, cold snaps and bugs are one thing, but rock and fighting need to be toned down a notch or two. And another Stealth Rock resistance is warranted. I hate the move. It's completely changed two entire generations now, for worse and not better.

Man, i hate when people hate the t'wigs. Grass pokemon are quite weak in some ways, most common ones don't even desrve a place on an ingame team. Chickorita, treecko and snivy. I do like treecko though he has high speed, high sp.atk and limited things to use it on. The other two are ok ingame. I really like bulbasaur, a good pokemon for beginners and competitive if trained correctly. Then there's torterra, lets face it hes the best option. Sure an ice type attack will 100% kill him. But he makes up for it in an immunity to electric and ground is super effective on fire. Hes got high hp, atk, def but low speed. shouldn't be a problem with da def and hp. A good physical set:
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Wood hammer
    Stone edge
    Other goodish ones are roselia and tropius. Do not write of a type, just try it! I hope this helps your opinion
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

I think Grass type is fine, most of my teams have a grass type, fire type, water type, flying type, electric type, and one other type Pokémon (usually Psychic, Dark, or Ghost).

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    All the grass types look cool X3
    ......Not really....they look more like wussy Pokemon...at least when they're unevolved....

tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder, xerneas, and tales of the abyss
    Omega Ruby team:

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Frankie View Post
    Grass isn't super effective to electric, it just that electric isn't very effective against grass.
    Electric types using SIGNAL BEAM, Bug type, super effective against grass!
    Starter-wise i prefer:
    R/B/Y: Lucky dip
    C/S/G: Chikorita
    R/S/E: Mudkip
    D/P/Pt: Dislike all
    B/W: Snivy/Oshawott

lets do the math on the gyms:
    Bulbasaur: effective vs 1st, 2nd, 3rd*, 8th
    *Electric isn't very effective aginst Grass so you have an advantage
    unaffective vs 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

Ok, it loses against the gyms of latter but you would have gotten a second party member that is not grass-type by the 4th gym.

squrtle: effective vs 1st, 7th, 8th
    unaffective vs 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Charmander: effective vs 4th
    unnaffective vs 1st, 2nd,

Well, from kanto, Bulbasaur is Completely neutral and certainly not at a disadvantage and doesn't have any drawbacks until almost half-way in.
    I'm not doing any more of those.....

Dammit, I've been practically dead. Too busy fighting demons and shadows.......* points evoker at head*....... back to work...* fires*

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post

Except Gyms aren't the only fights in the game, but Venusaur is the only Leech Seeder in the game. He's still useful against the game's various Water types, and his niche is one not occupied by any other RBY Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Perhaps electric COULD use another weakness. Ground cannot be the only thing?
    Electric is an offensive type. It doesn't care what it's weak to.

grass is the best a resistance to ground,electric and water especially in the current metagame where theres earthquakes,hydro pumps,and thunders everywhere.In fact fire is prolly the worst as its weakness to stealth rocks is horrible.

Credits go to golem12
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-39688982
    Sig exceeds the KB size limit. Read the signature rules before editing.

User is on the trade blacklist. Removing this message will result in further bans.

Quote Originally Posted by hades666 View Post
    grass is the best a resistance to ground,electric and water especially in the current metagame where theres earthquakes,hydro pumps,and thunders everywhere.In fact fire is prolly the worst as its weakness to stealth rocks is horrible.
    ...Grass isn't weak to Rock....

tumblr
    Omega Ruby team:

Quote Originally Posted by iliekmudkipz View Post
    ...Grass isn't weak to Rock....
    i never said that

Credits go to golem12

User is on the trade blacklist. Removing this message will result in further bans.

i never said that
    You said 'weakness to Stealth Rock' implying that Grass is weak to Rock.

tumblr
    Omega Ruby team:

You said 'weakness to Stealth Rock' implying that Grass is weak to Rock.

Credits go to golem12

I take back my previous statements. However, I disagree with Fire being the worst.

tumblr
    Omega Ruby team:

I take back my previous statements. However, I disagree with Fire being the worst.
    nah its prolly ice

Credits go to golem12

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast