Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 583

Thread: "GRASS" the worst starter and possibly type??

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South East Abbey, Tethe'alla
    Posts
    1,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hades666 View Post
    nah its prolly ice
    Ice isn't a Starter, though.


    "One with a fiery passion that burns!" - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Don't trip dawg
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iliekmudkipz View Post
    Ice isn't a Starter, though.
    then it is fire the worst type from the starters

    Credits go to golem12
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-39688982
    Sig exceeds the KB size limit. Read the signature rules before editing.

    User is on the trade blacklist. Removing this message will result in further bans.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Right behind you...
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Grass is perfectly fine. Most of the types that Grass is weak to (Such as Poison and Bug) have lots of weaknesses themselves.
    I like Metagross, and I used to claim it!
    Spheal with it.

        Spoiler:- 3DS Friend Code:

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Both of them can't handle flying type moves. AT ALL.
    You never played OU did you? flying moves are only used by skarmory and tornadus-T/I the rest are rare..

    I hate threads outside of competitive stuff since people don't know what they are talking about.

    Worse typing.. is ice just that being an ice type is a curse there are few good ice types. Articuno is the one of 2 NU legendaries the other one have bad ability. delibird nuff said.

    Grass? grass is good "lots of weaknesses.. but people DON'T look WHICH weaknesses.. Poison? who uses poison? flying? again it isn't common. the rest are more used but only 3 weaknesses really important
    resistance GROUND AND WATER those are good resistances and key ones actually with all that rain around it is a blessing.
    offensively again ground and warter those are key ones..
    Lets see ice: rock,fire,fighting,steel- 3 of them are in most teams steel is used a lot by scizor.
    resistances-ice not too shabby but ONLY ice which is resisted by other 3 types anyway.

    TL: DR- the amount of weaknesses isn't important it is important WHICH weaknesses


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Battle Frontier isn't in ORAS
    Posts
    6,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    You never played OU did you? flying moves are only used by skarmory and tornadus-T/I the rest are rare..

    I hate threads outside of competitive stuff since people don't know what they are talking about.

    Worse typing.. is ice just that being an ice type is a curse there are few good ice types. Articuno is the one of 2 NU legendaries the other one have bad ability. delibird nuff said.

    Grass? grass is good "lots of weaknesses.. but people DON'T look WHICH weaknesses.. Poison? who uses poison? flying? again it isn't common. the rest are more used but only 3 weaknesses really important
    resistance GROUND AND WATER those are good resistances and key ones actually with all that rain around it is a blessing.
    offensively again ground and warter those are key ones..
    Lets see ice: rock,fire,fighting,steel- 3 of them are in most teams steel is used a lot by scizor.
    resistances-ice not too shabby but ONLY ice which is resisted by other 3 types anyway.

    TL: DR- the amount of weaknesses isn't important it is important WHICH weaknesses
    This pretty much, I must say you kinda covered it a lot if not all, like Magcargo, it's most biggest weaknesses are 3 common types


  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    This pretty much, I must say you kinda covered it a lot if not all, like Magcargo, it's most biggest weaknesses are 3 common types
    Well I mostly talked about pure types but you are right the type of macgarco is 100% offensive but his stats say otherwise same for camerupt he have a great offensive typing but bad speed.

    rock is the next bad typing after ice it have some resistances but bad ones and have common weaknesses to 3 common types fighting ground and water. the only good resistance is fire.
    Rock/ice would be the worst defensive type ever.
    But when talking about offensive rock is one of the bests and so is ice.
    every type have his bad points and good points some are good defensive (steel,grass,poison) and some good offensive (ice,rock,bug,flying,fire,dark)
    and some are more balanced (water,dragon,ground)
    But don't get me wrong every type can be used either defensive or offensive like sceptile being an offensive grass type or cryogonal being a wall (sort of)


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    idk
    Posts
    698

    Default

    There is nothing wrong with grass types. Look at Sceptile. He's getting spotlight for the Acrobatics thing. Serperior is getting Contrary and Aqua Tail/Dragon Tail to improve it's moveset. Meganium has a pretty cool desigm, and I like it. Venusaur...don't use it often. Torterra is Dual Typed, and I know alot of people who like it...I always use grass as my started, excepr in PT/D/P, I used Piplup. So whatvif Grass can be week? Whimsicott is a great staller, and with Cotton Guard, is amazing. Haters gon' hate~

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghirahim
    You have awoken an anguish that will burn for eons...

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,237

    Default

    @Ilan: Since you claim to have knowledge about the types, would you be able to list them from the better to the worst?

    I am not trolling.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Okay, I just want to know, are Grass types hated because of in-game reasons like the posts in this thread say (like having too many weaknesses or being a defensive type)? Or is it something dumb like "Fire is cooler because in real life it can actually hurt you, and Water can drown you, but Grass does nothing in real life"? Because I'm gonna be so angry if that's the reason! That's what I thought most people think when they say it's a bad type. I know it might be a bad type competitively, but I want to know if people stay away from it because it looks boring or something stupid like that. I've made it a tradition to use the Grass starter since I was a kid, and I feel bad that it has this reputation. Does anyone know?

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    @Ilan: Since you claim to have knowledge about the types, would you be able to list them from the better to the worst?

    I am not trolling.
    Not every type have advantages and disadvantages, LIke I said some have on the offensive and some on the defensive and some are more balanced on both sides.


    Grass is hated cause it have lots of weaknesses that's all.
    Grass types are actually used a lot competitively.
    Last edited by Ilan; 6th October 2012 at 2:42 AM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iliekmudkipz View Post
    ......Not really....they look more like wussy Pokemon...at least when they're unevolved....
    But teeny tiny Pokémon can look cool, too!





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  12. #162

    Default

    I usually pick the Grass type as my starter, so I guess I don't mind the disadvantages as much.
    Bulbasaur, Treecko, Turtwig, Snivy.
    Otherwise I choose Totodile as the only non-grass starter. I've tried out other starter Pokemon too (except for in gens 4 and 5, can't stand Chimchar, ugh. And I've yet to start a new file game in Black, don't intend on it), but I guess I find myself preferring Grass to start with.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noctali View Post
    I usually pick the Grass type as my starter, so I guess I don't mind the disadvantages as much.
    Bulbasaur, Treecko, Turtwig, Snivy.
    Otherwise I choose Totodile as the only non-grass starter. I've tried out other starter Pokemon too (except for in gens 4 and 5, can't stand Chimchar, ugh. And I've yet to start a new file game in Black, don't intend on it), but I guess I find myself preferring Grass to start with.
    A fellow hater of Chimchar. Nice to meet you.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PancakeBoy View Post
    Okay, I just want to know, are Grass types hated because of in-game reasons like the posts in this thread say (like having too many weaknesses or being a defensive type)? Or is it something dumb like "Fire is cooler because in real life it can actually hurt you, and Water can drown you, but Grass does nothing in real life"? Because I'm gonna be so angry if that's the reason!
    Oh, it's definitely because of the in-game mechanics associated with the Grass type, though I know of some people who say Grass is the worst starter type due to its lack of ability to kill, too.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    idk
    Posts
    698

    Default

    I always choose grass in my starter (except in Sinnoh. I'm not a big fan of Turtwig/Chimchar so I use Piplup). When I get BW2, I'm going to use Serperior again, but when I restart black (Because I traded my Reshiram away ._.) After I transferr all my good Pokes, I might try out Samurott. Emboar though...no. Just no ._. And my planned BW2 team HAS Serperior on it! I jist need to get a DW Female Snivy. It's so badass, and quite a killer. The ability lets me use Leaf storm and it RAISES Sp. Attk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghirahim
    You have awoken an anguish that will burn for eons...

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Route 119, Laughing.
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Well, Lets examine.
    Bulbasaur / charmander / squirtle - In this case squirtle or Bulbasaur would be the best starter, charmander is cool but its weak to the first 2 gyms, 2nd dungeon etc.
    2nd gen, Don't use chickorita and you'll be fine
    3rd gen - All of them would be fine.
    4th gen. - Chimchar = Meh, Piplup = Best Turtwig = middle
    So basically, using the grass starters ( besides 2nd gen ) is actually the best ( sometimes middle ) choice to pick.
    Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he felt like it.
    http://dragcave.net/user/picketoflickit < If you play Dragoncave,This is my scroll.

    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linkofages View Post
    Well, Lets examine.
    Bulbasaur / charmander / squirtle - In this case squirtle or Bulbasaur would be the best starter, charmander is cool but its weak to the first 2 gyms, 2nd dungeon etc.
    2nd gen, Don't use chickorita and you'll be fine
    3rd gen - All of them would be fine.
    4th gen. - Chimchar = Meh, Piplup = Best Turtwig = middle
    So basically, using the grass starters ( besides 2nd gen ) is actually the best ( sometimes middle ) choice to pick.
    5th Gen - Oshawott = Best, Tepig = Middle, Snivy = Worst

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Route 119, Laughing.
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari10Girl View Post
    5th Gen - Oshawott = Best, Tepig = Middle, Snivy = Worst
    I agree, Oshawatt is awesome , tepig's evo is..another fire fighting... We have scraggy for the fighting. Snivy is good for speed... nothing else.
    Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he felt like it.
    http://dragcave.net/user/picketoflickit < If you play Dragoncave,This is my scroll.

    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    St.Louis
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I've used the Grass type starter in every game since Pokemon Emerald , and I've found no real problem or disadvantage with them except in Gold and Silver and Heartgold/Soulsilver.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Battle Frontier isn't in ORAS
    Posts
    6,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Well I mostly talked about pure types but you are right the type of macgarco is 100% offensive but his stats say otherwise same for camerupt he have a great offensive typing but bad speed.

    rock is the next bad typing after ice it have some resistances but bad ones and have common weaknesses to 3 common types fighting ground and water. the only good resistance is fire.
    Rock/ice would be the worst defensive type ever.
    But when talking about offensive rock is one of the bests and so is ice.
    every type have his bad points and good points some are good defensive (steel,grass,poison) and some good offensive (ice,rock,bug,flying,fire,dark)
    and some are more balanced (water,dragon,ground)
    But don't get me wrong every type can be used either defensive or offensive like sceptile being an offensive grass type or cryogonal being a wall (sort of)
    Speaking of Rock, look at Lunatone and Solrock, without Levitate, they would have seven weaknesses too! Surely, Abamosnow has dat 7 weakness, same with Celebi and Exeggutor oh wait the sun and moon have 7 weaknesses too and they aren't grass! (when Levitate is out!
    Last edited by Dragalge; 6th October 2012 at 3:33 PM.


  21. #171

    Default

    To me the three starting types represent three different play styles. Grass represents the strategic, tricky, intelligent playstyle. Fire represents the KILL EVERYTHING WITH POWAAHH playstyle and Water represents the defensive, stally, outlast your opponents playstyle.
    Therefore it stands that Grass is the least powerful on the surface, as you are supposed to win through tactics, not force.
    However I do agree that Grass is a little too weak. I think it should lose the Flying weakness if any, it makes the least sense to me. Birds are mostly known for being carnivores (are there any that are completely herbivorous? I'm curious)
    "I swear Bianca if you crit me I'll push you down the stairs." - The wise words of BlameTruth on Rival battles

    Opponent sent out Ninetales!
    Me: I know! Fight fire with fire!
    Arcanine used Flare Blitz!
    Ninetales's Flash Fire made it useless....
    Me: 0.0
    -.-
    Stupid saying.........

    Planned White 2 Team:
    Biggles Magneto Sally
    Soprana Padfoot Gatling

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Twinleaf Town
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Grass being weak to poison makes perfect sense. Poison kills living things and grass is a living thing. It's a plant. Plant's aren't resistant to poison.
    Within my lifetime, I've done a lot of walking. I started my journey walking on a little path called Route 1. Little did I know that walking down that route would lead me onwards to a road that went by the name of Victory. Just west of Victory Road, I walked up an entire mountain where atop stood a silent trainer who was one of the mightiest I had ever faced. I've walked, through sandstorms, across the hard desert of Hoenn. I've walked through pelting hail, across the snow covered terrains of Sinnoh. And now as I look back on all my travels I find myself walking across the Skyarrow Bridge of Unova. It took a lot of walking through tall grass patches to get where I am today...But it was worth the walk.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Llama View Post
    However I do agree that Grass is a little too weak. I think it should lose the Flying weakness if any, it makes the least sense to me. Birds are mostly known for being carnivores (are there any that are completely herbivorous? I'm curious)
    Birds are not "mostly known" for being carnivores; yes there are many such as birds of prey but many birds are herbivorous (parrots) and omnivorous (ravens) too...

    You can also think of grass as limited to and rooted in the ground therefore giving something in the air an advantage.
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 7th October 2012 at 1:22 AM.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    46

    Default

    depends on the generation.

    The Torterra line is a beast in Gen 4

    It also helps in game so many gyms have a weakness for either grass or Ground attacks.
    Spare Legendaries:

    I am also after DW: Adamant: , Adamant:

    **Note** Everything above is in relation to Gen V


    FC Black 2 - 0949 0114 5333
    Y FC - 4785-5536-1158 (Friend Safari has Ditto, dusparce and Minccino)

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    idk
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Birds "rule the air", and grass "rules the ground" and whatnot. Birds have sharp beaks and talons that can peirce grass. Not to mention most use grass to line their nests, concluding that grass is weak to flying types because birds can easily slash apart grass and plants they want.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghirahim
    You have awoken an anguish that will burn for eons...

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •