Thread: What's wrong here? Random Matchup Help

Default What's wrong here? Random Matchup Help

So I haven't really been playing Pokemon much but lately I've been picking up the game to do some Random Matchup battles quite a bit and my results are quite mixed. I'll post the six Pokemon I use and please just tell me what to fix (moves wise) or whether I should train a new Pokemon for use in this team. I just wanna win!!! By the way, they are all RNG'd for near perfect everything (perfect in the necessary ones)so bad IVs isn't the problem. They were mostly oringinally for the Subway but as you can see in my sig they didn't make it very far there either, although if I tried more they might do better... Anyway:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Justified | Jolly
    252 Att | 252 Spe | 4 HP
    -Stone Edge
    -Close Combat
    -Earthquake
    -X-scissor
    He is basically always the teams lead, the most reliable thing ever XD In all seriousness his two STAB moves are basically all he needs to get at least one KO on my opponent when things work out right.

Slowbro @ Sitrus Berry
    Regenerator | Calm
    252 HP | 252 SpD | 4 Def
    -Scald
    -Psyshock
    -Calm Mind
    -Slack Off
    This guy can be really good sometimes. Often he just tries to finish up a weakened foe but when he is up against something that can't her him he can set up to win, which unfortunately isn't all that often. Psyshock because I faced a Suicune a while ago and we Calm Mind warred and it won because of something like I couldn't do anything to it.

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
    Iron Barbs | Relaxed
    252 HP | 252 SpD | 4 Def
    -Power Whip
    -Gyro Ball
    -Curse
    -Leech Seed
    Like Slowbro, he is probably more suited for the Subway where he can set up against something that cannot harm him in peace but isn't as at home against other players. When my opponent is stuck with like a Rotom W and like a psychic type he can be really boss but once again, not that often. He has relaxed so that his def and sp def are basically even before he can curse.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Levitate | Timid
    252 SpA | 252 Spe | 4 HP
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond
    He can be pretty good as a lead too. Destiny bond is often frowned upon against other players but it is quite useful often when I cannot take out the enemy and they are slower than me, players probably don'y usually expect it coming. Shadow ball is obviously the go to move, the others are for super-effectives obviously.

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Blaze | Jolly
    252 Att | 252 Spe | 4 HP
    -Close Combat
    -Flare Blitz
    -Stone Edge
    -Mach Punch
    Coverage and STAB for first three moves and Mach Punch for finishing things quickly. He makes himself into a worse glass cannon than he already is after just a few atttacks with the defs drops from CC, the recoil from Fb and Life Orb damage, which kinda sucks.

Galvantula @ Choice Specs
    Compoundeyes | Timid
    252 SpA | 252 Spe | 4 HP
    -Thunder
    -Bug Buzz
    -Energy Ball
    -Volt Switch
    He is not too shabby offensively when he has the specs and with thunder not missing, he can surprisingly survive a hit or two but for some reason I don't use him very much.

Please rate away, thanks for your time.
    im not sure about anything

Bump! I know this isn't really allowed but come on, someone can help me, I'm sure. What ever happened to IGRMT while I was home, it used to be much busier and more helpful. Please rate and fix this team! (By the way please excuse any spelling or grammar errors in the OP, I was rushing and tired.) I guess it could be hard to rate since I didn't put a team of just three so... imagine that Terrakion and any two others are a team and fix that. Or if this is just pointless should I finally make the effort to make a rain team?
    Last edited by Shockking; 2nd October 2012 at 1:22 AM.

Hmm... let's see...

Terrakion... I'm not entirely sure if Choice Scarf is THAT great. I've faced one in Wifi random matchups and I smashed it quite easily. Choice Band might be a better option, or even Focus Sash. But seeing how your Gengar (I think it's perfect, by the way) already has Focus Sash...

Slowbro... I've never, ever considered in using one before, so I have no comments in the using-perspective. I've faced plenty and one-hit KOed them all with Choice Band Outrage so I can say that my opinion on it isn't all that great.

Ferrothorn... wouldn't Sassy nature (+Sp. Def, -Spd) be better suited than Relaxed? With Curse, its Def is going to get really high. You MIGHT consider in having maximum Sp. Def.

Infernape... personally, I'd use Earthquake over Stone Edge because I absolutely hate Stone Edge's accuracy. You might also want Thunderpunch for Water types, but I'm not entirely sure where it'll fit. Keep Mach Punch as you'll need a Priority Move.

Galvantula... I don't see anything wrong with it. I know you should never underestimate the power of STAB Thunder that doesn't really miss.
    Tired of seeing all-shiny teams on Wifi Random Matchup?
    Tired of hearing your friends brag about their shinies?
    Tired of hatching thousands of eggs to just get Hidden Power right?
    Visit my shop and turn the tables! PT's Perfect Shiny Shop. The simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DX Installation 05 View Post
    Hmm... let's see...

Terrakion... I'm not entirely sure if Choice Scarf is THAT great. I've faced one in Wifi random matchups and I smashed it quite easily. Choice Band might be a better option, or even Focus Sash. But seeing how your Gengar (I think it's perfect, by the way) already has Focus Sash...

Slowbro... I've never, ever considered in using one before, so I have no comments in the using-perspective. I've faced plenty and one-hit KOed them all with Choice Band Outrage so I can say that my opinion on it isn't all that great.

Ferrothorn... wouldn't Sassy nature (+Sp. Def, -Spd) be better suited than Relaxed? With Curse, its Def is going to get really high. You MIGHT consider in having maximum Sp. Def.

Infernape... personally, I'd use Earthquake over Stone Edge because I absolutely hate Stone Edge's accuracy. You might also want Thunderpunch for Water types, but I'm not entirely sure where it'll fit. Keep Mach Punch as you'll need a Priority Move.

Galvantula... I don't see anything wrong with it. I know you should never underestimate the power of STAB Thunder that doesn't really miss.
    Well with scarf it can outrun anything, completely seriously because nothing else that fast runs a scarf. Terra can outrun some things after a speed boost or two as well which is extremely helpful on a switch. You maybe underestimating Terrakion as well, I have swept whole teams on RM with him alone and he definitely doesn't need the sash, he survives so many neutral attacks its not funny, even some super effective ones.

Once again, Slowbro is probably much better than you think, He is in OU for a reason.

Yes sassy may be better, too late now

Infernape has SE to take out flying types mostly. EQ gets very similar coverage to CC and I'm not too afraid of electrics. Thunderpunch could work over SE, I'll see.

Thanks for the rate! Everyone else, rate away please!

Maybe I am underestimating Terrakion. But I did face it 3 times in the 5 random matchups and I've never lost (record says 4 wins 0 loss. One guy got stomped so hard he shut off the game...). In that case, I might as well tell you what I used to beat Terrakion (1 had Focus Sash, 2 had some Choice item): Scizor. Swords Dance boosted Bullet Punch took down Terrakion every time, except the one that had Focus Sash. So... beware. Infernape will do great against Scizor, but will lose a chunk of HP from Swords Dance Bullet Punch and recoil from Flare Blitz. And beware in case Scizor predicts such a switch and hits Aerial Ace. But I've only seen Scizor once in the 5 random matchups, so maybe you won't get to see it that much. But it's always an option.

Slowbro is in OU? Huh. Well, I don't follow the whole tier mess. Me and my friends always go full scale battle where any and all things go. Oh well.

And here's an additional suggestion. Swellow. It might not appear to be good, but I've tested it and it's quite destructive. Base 125 Spd is massive and 85 Atk isn't bad, especially when Guts is active. Def and Sp. Def are... better left ignored.

Swellow @ Flame Orb
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -Sp. Atk). EVs: 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Ability: Guts
    Protect
    U-Turn
    Facade
    Brave Bird

Hit Protect the first turn, let the Flame Orb Burn Swellow. Burn's 50% Atk effect is not applied because of Guts. Guts triggers and Atk increases by 50%. Burn triggers Facade's x2 power multiplier, becoming a base 140 power move. With STAB, that's 210.

Combat record: one-hit-KOed a full health flawless Modest Palkia with EV spread: 6 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd. Also participated in 3 random matchups and was the crucial victory key to two of those matchups.
    Visit my shop and turn the tables! PT's Perfect Shiny Shop. The simple solution.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Justified | Jolly
    252 Att | 252 Spe | 4 HP
    -Stone Edge
    -Close Combat
    -Earthquake
    -X-scissor
    He is basically always the teams lead, the most reliable thing ever XD In all seriousness his two STAB moves are basically all he needs to get at least one KO on my opponent when things work out right.
    Terrakion looks fine, he's probably one of the hardest pokemon to switch in or set up on. Except for maybe Scizor or a bulky water type, Terrakion should have no problem cutting through.

Slowbro @ Sitrus Berry
    Regenerator | Calm
    252 HP | 252 SpD | 4 Def
    -Scald
    -Psyshock
    -Calm Mind
    -Slack Off
    This guy can be really good sometimes. Often he just tries to finish up a weakened foe but when he is up against something that can't her him he can set up to win, which unfortunately isn't all that often. Psyshock because I faced a Suicune a while ago and we Calm Mind warred and it won because of something like I couldn't do anything to it.
    You don't need to have 252/Calm to make Slowbro a ridiculous special wall. I'd change it to Bold with 252Def to make him a better overall wall in the long run.
    However, I prefer to have Slowbro as a utility pokemon since the Tyranitar can 2HKO Bold/252 Slowbro with Pursuit, and depending on min/max, 1HKO on the switch out. In this situation, Ferrothorn is a hardier physical wall than Slowbro, so you can stick with your current evs, just use

]Slowbro@Leftovers
    ]Regenerator | Calm
    252Hp / 252Sp.D /6Def
    • Scald
    • Thunder Wave / Toxic
    • Slack Off
    • Flamethrower

Scald+Flamethrower is used for STAB and minimum useful coverage, bug and grass. Thunder Wave can benefit your rather tank or glass cannon team since being faster usually means a huge hit that changes the game. Toxic can force walls to switch, however. Slack off is obvious recovery since Rest is unneeded.

Ferrothorn @Leftovers
    Iron Barbs | Relaxed
    252 HP | 252 SpD | 4 Def
    -Power Whip
    -Gyro Ball
    -Curse
    -Leech Seed
    Like Slowbro, he is probably more suited for the Subway where he can set up against something that cannot harm him in peace but isn't as at home against other players. When my opponent is stuck with like a Rotom W and like a psychic type he can be really boss but once again, not that often. He has relaxed so that his def and sp def are basically even before he can curse.
    Again, you want to be using the nature that buffs the other defense; it's a pointless 10% if you can instantly gain +50% balancing the defenses this way would only stop Porygon and friends from getting a +Sp.A on the switch in. Allocate all natural resources into special defense. Otherwise, it looks fine.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
    Levitate | Timid
    252 SpA | 252 Spe | 4 HP
    -Shadow Ball
    -Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond
    He can be pretty good as a lead too. Destiny bond is often frowned upon against other players but it is quite useful often when I cannot take out the enemy and they are slower than me, players probably don'y usually expect it coming. Shadow ball is obviously the go to move, the others are for super-effectives obviously.
    Looks fine.

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Blaze | Jolly
    252 Att | 252 Spe | 4 HP
    -Close Combat
    -Flare Blitz
    -Stone Edge
    -Mach Punch
    Coverage and STAB for first three moves and Mach Punch for finishing things quickly. He makes himself into a worse glass cannon than he already is after just a few atttacks with the defs drops from CC, the recoil from Fb and Life Orb damage, which kinda sucks.
    Infernape is quite versatile, why not make it a mixed sweeper? Just roll a Lonely or Naughty (doesn't matter you're a glass cannon) nature so it won't hinder special attacks, and swap Flare Blitz for Overheat or Fire Blast.

Galvantula @ Choice Specs
    Compoundeyes | Timid
    252 SpA | 252 Spe | 4 HP
    -Thunder
    -Bug Buzz
    -Energy Ball
    -Volt Switch
    He is not too shabby offensively when he has the specs and with thunder not missing, he can surprisingly survive a hit or two but for some reason I don't use him very much.
    Fairly standard, should work fine.

Honestly, if you're playing casual wifi people won't care about team synergy or ev/iv. This should be more than enough to put you over the edge.

My only real problem with the team is that it'll be hard to bring in one of your various revenge sweepers. I suggest having at least one bulkier "main cannon" to depend on.

Anyway, good luck and have fun.
    lil' ball of spheal.

@ DX Installation 05
    Yeah I can have some problems with Scizor but when I survive a bullet punch they are KO'd by my CC, basically every time. When I do get around to training more Pokemon I might try a Swellow
    @ peacemaker987
    I will try that slowbro set, looks good. Also, terrakion is actually fairly bulky at 91/90/90 defenses with flawless IVs.

One thing you both are misunderstanding is the Random Matchup. You must not really have ever played it, besides when the game was new and had all those american noobs in it. Nowadays it has almost exclusively Japanese players with crazy high amounts of wins that use obviously EV and IV'd Pokemon, using good Pokemon and good strategy. Playing with this team I haven't been doing well, just breaking even. Thanks for the help, more would still be appreciated!!

Oh. Well, I guess I haven't played in random matchups enough (waiting for BW2 when ALL of my assets will be transferred from HG, instead of just a handful to get White rolling).

But in that case... might I suggest you use a Dragon? Those things are used by all sorts of people for a reason. I'd personally recommend you pick one of these two:

Salamence.
    Adamant/Jolly. EVs: 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Ability: Moxie
    Outrage (requires BW2, unfortunately. Unless you use a Generation IV one, in which case, Intimidate instead of Moxie)
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang
    Stone Edge

For Adamant, I'd recommend attaching Choice Band. Choice Band STAB Outrage will one-hit-KO just about everything. For Jolly, take Dragon Dance (replace Fire Fang). Adamant Choice Band Outrage one-hit-KOs the Milotic from Palmer Set 1 in the Generation IV Battle Tower and on average, deals 70~75% damage to a Cloyster in the same facility (don't know what nature-EV spread the AI runs). Outrage and Earthquake is this monster's bread and butter. Fire Fang for those dreaded freaks known as Skarmory (it's quite harmless to Salamence, by the way). Stone Edge as filler.

Option 2: Garchomp.
    Adamant/Jolly. EVs: 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Sand Veil/Rough Skin (doesn't matter)
    Outrage
    Earthquake
    Fire Fang
    Stone Edge

Yes, the moveset is the same. Choice Band again for Adamant set. Swords Dance for Jolly (replace Stone Edge or something). Garchomp can survive a Dragon Pulse from a max possible Sp. Atk ARCEUS that doesn't have Draco Plate (thereby, no STAB). This is a slightly faster yet weaker alternative to Salamence. But you gotta love base 130 Atk and STAB Earthquake.

And in case you're wondering, I did use Garchomp in the random matchup. Worked GREAT.

I guess I could train the Garchomp and a Hippodon and make a Sanstorm team (Terrakion and Ferrothorn would both fit). My lineup for Random Matchup could be Hippowdon, Garchomp, Terrakion, Ferrothorn, Slowbro and Infernape / Gengar(he's only usable outside of sandstorm though)