Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Characters that you thought were going to be important,but wound up not being?

Default Characters that you thought were going to be important,but wound up not being?

When you were younger or when the show first started, did you think certain characters were going to be much more important than they turned out?

For example, when Kanto was airing, I seriously believed Giovanni would remain the main villain of every saga, and that we'd see him do something important ever arc. Unfortunately Giovanni wound up rarely appearing after Johto and only just now in BW has he made a return.

Then there's Gary, who wound up playing a far smaller role in the anime any of us could have ever realized. When Ash and Gary didn't battle in the Indigo league, I guess it was a sign that their rivalry was going to be put on the backburner, which it was for some time till he was written out.

I'd mention Misty/Brock too, but I won't go there fully.

Arguably I'd say Max as well, since I really thought he would get his first Pokemon at SOME point and go on his own journey. Unfortunately the, "no aging" rule in the anime kinda shot that one down.

Hmm? In the beginning of pokemon I really didn't know what was going on. I didn't start reading the Special manga until mid Kanto. So I thought that the special girls like Blue and Yellow were going to show up. Probably too big of a wish. But then in Orange Islands since they were going to be in the water, I thought Misty was going to(do something) be a primary focus.

Tracey wasn't as major even though he only have one mini region. That pissed me off. Then I though Max was going to be something more than a talking standby since he was so smart.

Dawn was a little more than I thought while I was hoping Paul would be more of main character than a rival. But all in all it worked out fine.

I don't want to focus on Best Wishes because I will complain too much. But there are a few characters that I wish were more important than what they have been given so far.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 27th September 2012 at 9:10 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

Too many to count.

Original Series Shortlist:
    - AJ: An extremely powerful early Trainer that beat Ash and was never seen again
    - Ritchie: Was Ash's BFF in the Kanto League. Only met one other time since
    - Duplica: Appeared twice in two different regions. Ultimately accomplished nothing
    - Lance: Appeared very late in the Original Series just to catch a Pokemon
    - Professor Ivy: Spent an episode establishing her. Turns out that was her only major appearance
    - Casey: The only official Rival not to make it to the regional League. Speaks for itself
    - Aya: Basically replaced Janine in the anime but never made it to Gym Leader status
    - Eusine: Was made out to be a big deal, but basically appeared for a cameo

Post Original Series
    - Nicholai: Seemed to form a Rivalry with Ash and May but nothing came of it
    - Savannah: Spent a lot of time developing her for a Character of the Day
    - Brodie: A rare recurring villain, and one who ultimately got away
    - Holly: We saw Dawn's partner again and he became a Rival so why not Holly?
    - Riley: Since he was a clear fan favorite I thought he'd get a bigger role
    - Luke: Was built up as a Rival but ultimately didn't become one

Iris
    Cilan
    Trip
    georgia
    Bianca
    Burgundy
    Leavanny
    Boldore
    You know what? practically everyone not named Ash, Pikachu, or Oshawott in best wishes.

Holly definitely, I am surprised she didn't play any role with Brock's departure from the series too.

I can only think of Duplica at the moment :d

Pierce (Best Wishes TR) is the only one that comes to mind right now.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†
    I treat my Pokemon like family. Copy and Paste this in your sig if you do too.
    Animal abuse is horrible if you agree copy this into your signature (started by Tepig Rules)
    ~The right thing to guide us, is right here inside us, no-one can divide us, when the light is nearly gone~- When We Stand Together, By Nickelback.

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    - Riley: Since he was a clear fan favorite I thought he'd get a bigger role
    This. T_T

--

Anyway:

-Nando
    -Kenny
    -Paul
    -COTDs in Kanto who said they'd appear again
    -Luke
    -Holly

That's about it. XD
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Team Rocket.

>:]

Kanto

AJ: An excellent potential 2nd rival. What a waste;
    Bill: The heck, man? Where he was in Johto?
    Gisele: I had the feeling she would reappear because of the Orange Islands OP, but, noooo;
    Otoshi: Another wasted potential league rival;
    Aya: I'll miss Janine for a long time. Aya is her replacement as stated above, but, no success. I'd like to see her again;
    Jigglypuff: What's the point of make a recurring-not-legendary pokemon that won't be caught? It's long ride was funny, though, but, disappeared for good in Houenn;
    Ho-Oh: Ash's inspiration. So...?

Johto

Casey: Wasted. Rival.Character. Ever. And she had a few appearences and two hosos;
    Richie: Ash's long lost (and smarter) clone. I won't miss him, actually;
    Gary: To be honest, Gary haven't participation enough aside for the league. I feel he could be a little better than he was;
    Gligarman: Call me crazy, but, I hoped for a second appearence ^^";
    Duplica: I'd like to see more shots about her.

Houenn

Shawna: She had potential to be Ash's regional rival and could be more interest than Morrison;
    Steven: Wasted previous Houenn champion is a waste;
    Team Magma/Aqua: They wasn't that fun to watch;
    Spoink: Why the heck it was not caught?

Sinnoh

Kenny: Not good. In appearence or plot;
    Nando: See above;
    Palmer: A Sinnoh BF gap would been a better usage for the 7th-8th gym gap, not a creepy festival at Dawn's hometown;
    Holly: Conway reappeared. Why not she?

Unova

Zekrom: Depowered/repowered pikachu just for the sake of it;
    Bel: I expected a little more from her;
    Georgia/Burgundy: See above;
    Dawn/Iris: A disappointment.
    Ash: See above. Actually, see the entire Unova run until present. Somewhere, Paul is ashamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    Basically any interesting idea you have when speculating about new regions invariably ends with:
    - Ash showing up in a new region with Pikachu without a clue how to do anything besides battling and breathing;
    - He accidentally runs into the new new girl who will be the main companion;
    - He meets a creepy older gentleman* who will follow him around and do the things Ash apparently is either not smart enough to do, or expects that someone will it for him.

*Averted. Now, we have a gadget maniac and his hyper-active lil' sis.
    Platinum FC - 1075 8811 5380

There are too many to count all of them, so ill limit my choices to few most notable examples from each region.
    Kanto/Orange Islands:
    -Giselle: she was arguably only girl in who Ash showed some interest shaping up to develop great rivalry between those two. But she ended as one time thing never to be seen again.

-Suzie:back in day i thought she would play bigger importance in Brock story being breeder too, ending up as his actual rival. But aside from giving him Vulpix we didn't saw her at all until mid Johto where she came back for Vulpix never to be seen again. What was point of that in first place?

-Ho-oh:you would thought he would play significant role in Ash quest of becoming master considering how he was one of few privileged trainers who got even chance to see it influencing his journey in several regions. But to this day he stayed as minor recurring pokemon which didn't had any major importance on anime story.

-Marina:seriously she was water trainer having similar ambitions like Misty did. They both had quite a few things in common having competitive fire between them. If anyone was perfect rival for Misty, it was her but instead she was treated as one time thing. What a waste.

Johto:
    -Gary:as much as i liked him as someone who was supposed to be Ash main rival in OS he got disappointing treatment. Appeared only handful of times. Battling Ash only 2 times and competed in one race and that was about it. That's not a way to write rivalry.

-Casey:she seemed like prominent rival in start being clueless and complete beginner from who i had higher expectations, expecting to see her grew and confront Ash in Johto league. But instead she never even made it to league with her so called rivalry with Ash turning into joke being nothing more than just minor recurring character.

-Andreas (from Seaking contest): way in which his relationship with Misty started someone would taught they would become fierce rivals, with this guy entering Whirl competition settling up his scores with her there, but that never happened. His rivalry was quickly resolved by end of same episode he appeared in, turning perfectly good material in another waste.

Hoenn/Battle Frontier:
    -Steven: my biggest disappointment during whole AG generation. For a previous Hoenn champion he got "short end of stick". Appeared in one random episode featuring Aggron and that's about that. Wow, good job writers.

-Team Aqua/Magma: they had decent introduction and build up toward something big. But whole climax and resolution of their plot ended as one giant fiasco turning important story into joke. Not to mention how terribly rushed "grand finale"was.

-Morrison: its a shame he appeared only in few episodes around time league started. He could have been good rival for Ash during Hoenn series, which was one of main weakness of that saga.

Sinnoh:
    -Reggie: while he played somewhat important role in Paul story because of experienced breeder occupation i honestly expected he would play some role in Brock goal of becoming top breeder too. Pity really, because he could allow for Brock to be more active developing nice competition between those two.

-Kenny: as Dawn childhood friend and in theory one of "main rivals" he was quickly shafted having handful of appearances, turning out to be pretty insignificant for whole story altogether. Even Ursula who had late introduction, felt like she played bigger role as Dawn rival than he did.

- Palmer: he only appeared for some random festival at Dawn hometown. From Sinnoh Frontier Brain i expected a lot more.

Unova:

-Burgundy:she is treated like total joke instead of rival we are supposed to take seriously. Lost every battle she was in serving mostly like comic relief, with her rivalry with Cilan going nowhere.

-Langley: same as above, At this point she feels more like running gag who occasionally brings conflict and humor, but that's about that not being nearly as significant for Iris story like i expected her to be.

As for Misty and Brock only way i can see if someone thought how they weren't important is because they didn't stayed as perma main cast members like Ash, with everyone thinking at that time how they will never be replaced.

However in original series they played important role in Ash development as trainer.
    When show started Misty and Brock's role was fine getting reasonable amount of focus while making sure that it doesn't clash with development of main star Ash. Their main purpose purpose in original series was to be supporting characters who coached and mentored Ash serving as catalyst through which he developed as trainer and person. They also contributed to great humor and group dynamic adding clash, tension and interesting interactions which pushed show forward while also serving as characters which along with Ash make pokemon popular in first place, becoming quickly iconic and recognized worldwide setting up path for future generations.

On downside their own story lines weren't explored as much as they should had been.By acting like someone who would balance out Ash impulsiveness and naivety and Brocks obsession over girls with her spunky, and timid personality giving identity to group with her strong presence.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 28th September 2012 at 2:24 PM.

The only thing I can come up with at the moment is Steven Stone. That character itself could be "The Cynthia from Hoenn", seeing as how much prominence Cynthia had during the Sinnoh saga. The writers made a lot of mistakes by making cool characters, character of the day, instead of recurring characters.

I can only think of Max. The poindexter was just there to appeal to the little kids and be the annoying little brother. They seriously could've done more with him. (Jirachi: Wish Maker and the episode(s) with the Ralts don't count.)

Oh yeah, there's Cassidy and Butch. What was the point of them being in the show besides a rivalry with Jessie and James and (presumably) Giovanni's favorite duo? What amazing things have they contributed to the plot outside of perhaps the Orange Islands episode?
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Bianca, Kenny, Volkner, Mr Mime.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Back in the beginning of Pokemon I thought Giselle that was in the "School of Hard Knocks" episode, was going to be a rival of Ash or a tag along long ago.
    One, because I thought she was the one that from the intro opening theme.

My ideal battle ever!

Kenny-Poor Kenny, I thought since he'd be Dawn's childhood friend rival/Dawn's Drew that he'd yah know appear more and fight Dawn more but at times I forgot about him and he lost a lot LOL.

Tracey: Traveled with Ash and Misty, he did less than D/P Brock even and that says a lot.

Max: He was like Pikachu only less useful.

Trip: For Ash's main rival of the Best Wishes series he seemed more like the Kenny of this series, only not a love intrest for Ash dispite what Yaoi fans want to think.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

I'd say AJ, the Samurai guy, Tracy, Max, Kenny, Zoey in a way, and Burgundy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Wow, 16 replies and no one has yet to mention Silver from Pokemon Chronicles? Even though it's a spnioff of the main series, and that he only appeared in one episode from it, he left so many unanswered questions.

He has a strikingly similar past compared with both Ritchie and Ash, has a Chikorita that sits on his shoulder, a powerful dragon-type pokemon and had also witnessed a legendary pokemon when he first started his journey. Each of which seem to parallel back to Ash in some way. Coincidence?

Other than that, Ritchie is a given. I expected the writers to at least let him reappear in a later episode, but I don't see that happening anytime soon ):
    Pokemon White Version:
    Pokemon Black Version:

I thought AJ, Giselle, Joe (kid with Weeping Bell from Pokemon Tech), Katrina, and Otoshi would appear in the Kanto Pokemon League, but none of them did.

Wow, 16 replies and no one has yet to mention Silver from Pokemon Chronicles?
    The only Silver people want to see is the Rival / Giovanni's son.

I find it interesting how little Misty's sisters appeared. Only two episodes before the specials. For some reason I always thought we saw more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I find it interesting how little Misty's sisters appeared. Only two episodes before the specials. For some reason I always thought we saw more of them.
    Well if Misty stayed in cast im pretty sure we would see more of them. Either way i expected to see them a bit more often too since they played rather important role in Misty story causing complex of inferiority in character, by portraying themselves as "superior" both in looks and battling skills.

Although they got few references to themselves too without meeting in person, such as in princess tournament when doll set was brought up, when they met Sakura who had issues with older over protective sisters with Misty helping her about this problem or in Dorian episode where we find out he visits them quite frequently being well informed about sensational sister trio.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 29th September 2012 at 2:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Iris
    Cilan
    Trip
    georgia
    Bianca
    Burgundy
    Leavanny
    Boldore
    You know what? practically everyone not named Ash, Pikachu, or Oshawott in best wishes.
    Leavanny isn't important? -_-

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    The only Silver people want to see is the Rival / Giovanni's son.
    That's only in the manga.....
    Pokemon White Version:
    Pokemon Black Version:

That's only in the manga.....
    Game Canon since Generation III.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast