Thread: Question for all Shippers!

Default Question for all Shippers!

Okay, so maybe I fooled you into entering this thread. Good. I have to do a report using expository writing, and I'm choosing to do it on pokemon-shipping to be specific. Can you help me?
    So, my topic is "How do you think shipping has affected the pokemon fanbase?"
    Please reply soon, and I will greatly appreciate it!

This is actually a really good topic, you know.

Most shippers - the ones who aren't really organized (unlike most people here) - being a bad reputation to the fandom, in my opinion. I think they're one of the main reasons Pokémon has one of the worst fanbases ever. You say you like Ash with [insert main girl here], other Ash shippers will pounce at you with hate-filled rage posts (though they're getting better with each generation), instead of accepting your opinions... It's just stupid, really. It's hard to find a sane Pokémon shipper outside of forums.

Thank you, that's a very good observation. I notice that alot on fanfiction (the website). That'll help alot! Thanks!

Once you pick an Ash ship involving one of his traveling companions people tend to view the other ones in a very negative manner.

1 negative aspect that does occationally happen is that some characters may become activley disliked(even in a non shipping situation) because of the shipping.

On a positive note, it promotes the series in it's own way and it helps spur the imagination.

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Yes that is a good attribute to shipping, poke_maniac!

Well, shipping in most fanbases is often looked down upon because others don't see why paring two characters who are fictional is so important. I see it more so in the Pokemon world but it's kinda sad actually. If you pair X with Y, the fans who are hardcore fans of Z and Y are going to attack. At the same time though, I have been in three different fandoms and I found that this fandom as pretty lenient when it comes to paring.

Spoiler:
    岩根雅明=♡

How does Shipping affect the fandom? Well, I'd venture to say that it makes certain fans either more hostile or more friendly towards other fans. As others have pointed out, Ash-shippers tend to get out of hand fairly quickly. It's hard to NOT run into a Poke vs Advance vs Pearl vs Negai debate if you're a shipper such as myself, and it generally creates a negative image toward the Shipping community as a whole, especially when such Ash ships have the most followers.

There are positives however, such as how shipping fuels the imaginations of the fans, whether it be with fanfics, fanarts, amvs, or graphics. This is true for most fandoms, but with Pokemon it's a bit different seeing as how, unlike other fandoms, we tend to go a bit...overboard with our imaginations regarding pairings. And by that I mean pairings such as crack-ships, nevermets, and bizarre pairs such as Gary x himself (I'm not making this one up by the way, lol).

In a way shipping itself is bizarre. The fact that the shipping community is so strong and passionate for a no-kissing/no-hugging franchise such as Pokemon really makes it unique and really tells a lot about the fans themselves, who are willing to take any interactions between two fictional characters and create a shipping out of it - sometimes with those who have never met within canon, and other times with those who don't exist within the same universe (such as a manga character paired with an anime character). Also the amount of ships that have accumulated over the years are absolutely astounding, added with the fact that more are being added each day. Most non-shippers - even from other fandoms - would typically be floored by this, yet it's perfectly normal for the average hardcore Pokemon shipper. Weird, right?

Sorry if my "analysis" is not helpful and not much informative. I'm not very good with stuff like this. ;-;

Its mostly negative due to "over-the-top" shippers.

You don't see it here on Serebii because most people here are nice and understanding, but you venture into some other pokemon sites or even places like deviantart and shipping debates result in outright hatred of certain characters for no reason.

I don't actively protest shippings, since romance is a concept in my fanfics. The good effects it's had on the fanbase is that it's added an additional reason for people to be interested in Pokemon, along with elements to add to fanfiction stories.

However, it's also given Pokemon fans another reason to fight among themselves, that's what I dislike about the shipping concept.

This is definitely a good question. I think shipping has effected the Pokemon fanbase.

I'mm a hardcore Pearlshipper but I do ship other pairings. I can't count the number of times where I've been attacked by Poke/Advanceshipper over the fact that I ship Ash with Dawn and that's the main thing I don't like about shipping.

I'm a part of then Big Time Rush fanbase actuallymand hust about everyone I know is a Jendall (Kendall/Jo) shipper and there was an episode where Kendall had to decide which girl he wanted to date. Before that episode aired, a bunch of the Jendall shippers would constantly be hating on the other pairing and that really annoyed me.

Forgive me for going a bit off subject there, I just had to say that.