View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 1 of 97 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

To all Anime fans:

Subbed, Dubbed or else?
    Which one do you prefer to watch Anime and why?

I pick Dubbed because I like to hear english voice.
    CC are necessary too.

So, it's your turn.
    -----------------------------------------------
    czzzzzzz[]:::::::::::::::::::::::> ()__)__)__)__)__)__)

Taking back to previous Holy War in 243 years ago - The Lost Canvas.

Second part has ended and the twin gods were sealed. Then visiting to the Bluegard to get the source of power...

Status: | Aries | Taurus | Gemini | Cancer | Leo | Virgo | Libra | Scorpio | Sagittarius | Capricorn | Aquarius | Pisces | Pope/Altar |

I also known as Entei in chatroom.

Mario Kart DS - 073080 634195
    Pokemon Diamond DS - 0645 2455 5853
    SSBB Wii - 3909 7241 6221

Auro Guest

I'm going to take a leap and guess that 90% of people here will say subbed..

I like dubbed, I don't want to have to constantly read the bottom of the screen when I'm watching something.

I like dubbed, the voices are better. Except in Hamtaro, I'm happy that they like completely transformed that. The Japanese versions creepy.

beside that, it still shouldn't matter that much between subbed/dubbed. It's still the same anime. xP

Quote Originally Posted by Emwo View Post
    beside that, it still shouldn't matter that much between subbed/dubbed. It's still the same anime. xP
    Not always.

But it's less common now than before.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

I like it raw.
    But, for the sake of being on-topic; I'll say subbed.
    _
    X

I like dubbed, most times. I love the Case Closed dub, but the Inuyasha I sometimes watch subbed. I just wish it was an exact sub. *twitch*

----------------------
    {Bishie} Shinichi Kudou {Twin} Shigeru-Kun {Pair} Edward Elric

I like to choose.
    Some dubs are really good: such as Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion, or .hack//sign but sometimes I want to hear the sub as well just so I can hear it with its original VA's and the like.
    Most of the time I think both are pretty good but sometimes one can be much better then the other, thus why I like to choose.

It's a 50/50 thing for me. Honestly, there ARE alot of dubs that stand out and some that are even better than the originals (Cowboy Bebop is the most noticable). However, there are just some really bad dubs. But those mainly apply to shows that end up on KidsWB, 4Kids TV and sometimes the lesser known shows on Toonami (like Rave Master's dub). People just tend to complain mostly about those particular dubs rather than take a look at others. Although, some are really just awful (Love Hina and Evangelion are just too painful to listen to in English :\).

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

I'm going to go ahead and sticky this since I can honestly see this being one of those topics that will come up over and over again.

I'd also like to remind everyone to keep it civil. If you like dubs, don't bash people who prefer subs and tell them how stupid they are. Likewise, if you like subs, don't bash people who prefer dubs and tell them how stupid they are. Let's leave comments like "elitist" and "dubbie" out of this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    I'm going to go ahead and sticky this since I can honestly see this being one of those topics that will come up over and over again.
    You sticky my thread? Wow, thanks and it was my idea to create this thread and poll and see what you guys like.

I appreciate your words Dogasu.

Compare between Subbed and Dubbed, it depend their language, like Subbed are more violence words than Dubbed. For example: In Gundam Seed episode when Kira saw Cagalli, who is wearing pretty green dress, see what they say:

In English Dubbed:
    Kira: Wow, you're... a girl.
    Cagalli: Of course I am, you jerk!

In Japanese with Subbed:
    Cagalli: Of course I am, you ***hole!

See?
    -----------------------------------------------
    czzzzzzz[]:::::::::::::::::::::::> ()__)__)__)__)__)__)

Taking back to previous Holy War in 243 years ago - The Lost Canvas.

Second part has ended and the twin gods were sealed. Then visiting to the Bluegard to get the source of power...

Status: | Aries | Taurus | Gemini | Cancer | Leo | Virgo | Libra | Scorpio | Sagittarius | Capricorn | Aquarius | Pisces | Pope/Altar |

I also known as Entei in chatroom.

Mario Kart DS - 073080 634195
    Pokemon Diamond DS - 0645 2455 5853
    SSBB Wii - 3909 7241 6221

I hope you realize that Japanese insults are capable of converting to several things in English, it's just that subbers prefer to use the terms that convey the same meaning, but they seem more extreme. For example, 'chikushou' can mean 'darn' or 'damn', but subbers prefer the latter, and 'fuzakeru na' is literally 'don't lie' or 'don't joke around', but I saw some subs translate it as 'stop f***ing with me". In this case, 'a**hole' and 'jerk' are both correct.

With this in mind, anyone who watches subs just for 'the cursing' are very sad people. Aside from having this emphasis that "cursing automatically makes a show more mature", it seems that they'll just mindlessly read anything displayed at the bottom of the screen without even trying to listen to the actual Japanese dialogue. I bet if a character, who's ready to eat a meal, says 'itadakimasu' and the subtitles say "Let's go kill that guy!", those type of people would actually believe that's what's being said. I personally prefer subs over dubs, but I do pay attention to the actual Japanese dialogue. For that matter, I'm actually taking an effort to learn the language so I won't even have to be dependant on subtitles all my life.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 24th March 2005 at 10:42 PM.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san
    I hope you realize that Japanese insults are capable of converting to several things in English, it's just that subbers prefer to use the terms that convey the same meaning, but they seem more extreme. For example, 'chikushou' can mean 'darn' or 'damn', but subbers prefer the latter, and 'fuzakeru na' is literally 'don't lie' or 'don't joke around', but I saw some subs translate it as 'stop f***ing with me". In this case, 'a**hole' and 'jerk' are both correct.
    Don't forget emphasis; as with any language, it's not just what you say, but how you say it. If someone's yelling a potential obscenity, I would think they're leaning toward the swear rather than angrily saying 'darn.' Speaking of which, I highly doubt that any Japanese word could equate to the English "darn." Seeing as how 'darn' has two meanings; one of which is to mend something by sewing and the second being a euphemism for "damn." It's just a tad too convenient that one term could encompass a swear and somehow magically define its weaker version as well.
    _
    X

Quote Originally Posted by theboar
    Compare between Subbed and Dubbed, it depend their language, like Subbed are more violence words than Dubbed. For example: In Gundam Seed episode when Kira saw Cagalli, who is wearing pretty green dress, see what they say:

In English Dubbed:
    Cagalli: Of course I am, you jerk!

In Japanese with Subbed:
    Cagalli: Of course I am, you ***hole!

See?
    In Case Closed it's the dub that's more violent:

English:

Conan (Jimmy's voice since he's thinking): Man, she kicks ***

Japanese and subbed:

Conan (thinking): Man, she's strong.

The former is funnier in the scene, IMO.

----------------------
    {Bishie} Shinichi Kudou {Twin} Shigeru-Kun {Pair} Edward Elric

I am sometimes disappointed with the English voice acting, so I tend to prefer subbed anime. However, I have seen some very excellently-done dubs (e.g., Last Exile), and, at that level of quality, I prefer the English voices. So, I guess the only reason I like subs is because English voices are sometimes not very appealing. I DO prefer dubs, when done WELL.
    "When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
    - James Matthew Barrie (Peter Pan)

I prefer subtitled, hearing the original voice actors is always the best. The Japanese Voice actors seem to be more passionate about their character than english dubs do. They sound stale to me. :/ the only anime that I allow English dub was Wolf's Rain. It was actually good. All others I can't stand! XD Sometimes the English Dub's try TOO hard to be cutesy and just ruin it. LOL.

I take commissions, just pm me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It's a 50/50 thing for me. Honestly, there ARE alot of dubs that stand out and some that are even better than the originals (Cowboy Bebop is the most noticable). However, there are just some really bad dubs. But those mainly apply to shows that end up on KidsWB, 4Kids TV and sometimes the lesser known shows on Toonami (like Rave Master's dub). People just tend to complain mostly about those particular dubs rather than take a look at others. Although, some are really just awful (Love Hina and Evangelion are just too painful to listen to in English :\).
    I think the voice acting in Dragonball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh is far better in the dubbed version than the original version. American acting is just superior than Japan and many other areas in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Charizard View Post
    I think the voice acting in Dragonball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh is far better in the dubbed version than the original version. American acting is just superior than Japan and many other areas in my opinion.
    Not even close. Especially not with Dragon Ball Z.

Japanese DBZ (1991): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cutuMSmj8PE
    Season 3 Dub (1999): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUK76oy9rWg
    Dragon Ball Z Kai Dub (2010): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBbpktbSaJM&t=0m31s

Take note of how much better the acting is in the Japanese version of Z and the dub of Kai. Not only that, but Z was the black sheep of all of FUNimation's other non-Dragon Ball dubs.

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Dragon Ball Z Kai Dub (2010): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBbpktbSaJM&t=0m31s

Take note of how much better the acting is in the Japanese version of Z and the dub of Kai. Not only that, but Z was the black sheep of all of FUNimation's other non-Dragon Ball dubs.
    Admittedly the the acting may be better in the Japanese version, however most people grew up with the DBZ dub, or were first exposed to the anime world through it's dub, hence it holds a certain nostalgic value for them.

This makes it hard to listen to voices that are different to the voices they have become accustomed to over the years in the anime and the games. It doesn't mean the dub was better, however. The DBZ dub is quite memorable for me, and tbh I don't mind majority of the voices in Japanese, mainly Goku and perhaps Cell. Goku because his power-up screaming is so harsh and hard to listen to, and Cell because something seems off about his Japanese voice, and his dubbed voice is very fitting imo.

I agree that Kai has a great dub, better than Z in fact. It is very faithful to the original, with no pointless Funi edits that Z had. Plus keeping the original BGM is a plus, as it really changes the atmosphere of the series I think. Too bad Kai finished after the Cell Saga.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/rh4od5.jpg[/IMG]
    Currently Playing: Killzone 3, Atelier Rorona, LBP2
    Upcoming: MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Brink, Uncharted 3

Currently Watching:
    FMA: Brotherhood, Spice and Wolf, Pokemon,

For anything by 4Kids: Subs any day if they ever made them (I like official releases more, and they did for Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's. Check Toonzaki.) And their Uncut dub of Yu-Gi-Oh (cut short after 9 episodes) wasn't bad either.

Otherwise, I honestly don't care, but I may sway more towards dubs because I don't like reading episodes (and I have a bad habit of reading them out loud)

DBZ is another special case. Funimation dub had better voices to me in places (Goku's Kiai especially), but horrible scriptwriting and at times acting too. The reverse for the Japanese version: better script, cringeworthy voices (sorry, Masako Nozawa fans. But someone with muscles like his who stops planet-breaking tyrants sounding like an old lady/like he did as a kid is not cool in my book). And Kai's dub put the best of both worlds: a better script and better acting as shown in the video. Plus the less feminine Frieza.

Auro Guest

Edward I really like the Love Hina dub, I own the entire series and I always watch the dub. I rolled my eyes when they gave Mitsune the southern accent at first, but it seemed fitting once I watched the subbed version. I like Koalla Su's dub voice too... Oh well, I guess it's a difference of taste.

Subbed. But if I'm only able to watch the dubbed, I would. I'm not exactly one who likes to watch certain dubs, but I can deal with it.

Yugioh GX is love and crack stuffed into a blender.

---
    {Bishie} Son Goku from Saiyuki~
    love the monkey. <3
    {Song} "Fukisusabu Kaze no Naka de" by WAG from Saiyuki Reload.
    Fukisusabu kaze no naka de
    Kono puraido o sutesaru koto ga dekiru darou ka?

{OTP} Genjo Sanzo x Son Goku (Saiyuki) || Uryuu Ishida x Kurosaki Ichigo (Bleach)
    They're canon, I tell you! >:O
    ---
    The LiveJournal. Much love.
    keep away from small children...

or people who can't handle swearing and ramblings of an obsessive anime fan

Chaos_Angel Guest

I prefer subbed. There are a few really good dub jobs (Cowboy Bebop most noticably), but most are horrid, particularily Azumanga Daioh and Fruits Basket.

Chaos_Angel Guest

I prefer subbed. There are a few really good dub jobs (Cowboy Bebop most noticably), but most are horrid, particularily Azumanga Daioh and Fruits Basket. Plus, I prefer the Japanese voices since most are good actors/actresses, no translation loss of comedy (especially with Azumanga Daioh), and just a cool language in general.

I dunno. I like dubbed animes since I could just listen to the words without reading anything. But subbed animes are good also since . . . Some shows are better subbed. Cardcaptor Sakura was heavily edited into "Cardcaptors" and that kinda made me mad. >_>

Meh, overall, it just depends on how good the dub is really . . .

Necrox Guest

I dunno.

First, i don't like them to be dubbed in english, but i like them in spanish but i also like the subbed.

Inuyasha is a good example of my preferences:

The voices of the characters are very good(in spanish), but on the other hand, the Tetsaiga is called "Colmillo de acero"(Iron Fang) >_>.

Page 1 of 97 123451151 ... LastLast