View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Kokukirin Guest

I highly prefer sub over dub. Voice acting is much more well done in Japanese than English (yes I can tell even though I don't understand 99% of the words), I see no point in overwriting the original voices. And from my experience, dub usually has crap voice acting compared to the original...

The only situation I'd say dub is better is when the anime is played on TV...but on DVD, sub >>>>> dub.

Regarding additional swears that were never in the originals of FUNimation's anime..I blame the writers. I have a heavy suspision that they're the same guys who write YuYu Hakusho's dialogue and Fullmetal Alchemist's and a few others. Namely because in both shows, Yusuke and Ed tend to throw in "damn" and "hell" and some other terms around that were never even said in the original.

Also be aware, fansubs aren't the most accurate thing. I remember the ol' DBZ fansubs where swears where thrown in EVERY sentence. XD Stuff that was never even in the dialogue. Here's an example.

Vegeta's searching for Dr. Gero and can't find him due to them being in a large mountain, desert area and can't sense Gero's Ki.

Fansub Vegeta: Come on out and fight me, you weak, candy-a**, rat!
    Proper Sub Vegeta: Come out of hiding and fight, coward!

Sounds pretty funny, doesn't it?

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

One thing that bothers me about both types of fans (dub fans and sub fans) is that they'll base the performance of the "other side" on only one or two episodes. Dub fans will watch an entire series dubbed but then will only watch one episode subtitled, and sub fans will do the same thing with dubs. Of course the version you're not used to listening to is going to sound off by comparison, but I think it's exteremely unfair to judge all of subbed anime or all of dubbed anime based on one episode.

So I guess the message I'm trying to put out there is for people to give the other side more of a chance. Watch more than one episode of Dragon Ball Z in Japanese before proclaiming that the dub is far superior. Likewise, watch more than one episode of One Piece dubbed before proclaiming that the sub is superior.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

I love subtitles. I don't know why, I just do.
    Artichan's PokePet

Arti the level 1 Articuno!

Arti's F@g-Hags: fanderichie, Fullmetal_Alchemist, lilineko, magnemite, Phantom_Bugsy, taitofan, The Incarnation Pokemon, and twilightespeon, Zino

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    Watch more than one episode of Dragon Ball Z in Japanese before proclaiming that the dub is far superior.
    Indeed. Many people who've seen the dub flipped over Son Goku's voice in the Japanese version. "HE SOUNDS TOO MUCH LIKE A WOMAN!" Which is possibly the worst excuse for hating a voice considering many could argue that Sean Schemmel makes Goku sound too much like a blundering idiot, forces grunts where they're not necessary (the entire DBZ community HAS to remember the infamous "Kamehame-Ha Dump"), and just doesn't grab the whole inner-child of Goku that Nozawa Masako captured perfectly (Goku's a man, but he's still a kid on the inside).

Honestly, the logic works with anything. Give more than one episode a chance to give a real kind of verdict on a series. Ain't right to compare an entire series in one language to just one episode.

DarkAngel Guest

I like both dub and sub, cause want the sound of english on anime but i more like the japanese voices.

Pokémaster Mike Guest

Dubbed and Americanized thank you very much

I <3 the first season of Pokemon because of this.

Kurou-kun Guest

Subtitled ao. Some of the dubs were plain horrible.....X_X

EDIT: Its only my opinion, no offense.
    Last edited by Bart; 26th March 2005 at 9:40 AM.

Actually, I hate reading. But I love subtitles. Dubs are okay, I don't mind how horrible their voices are. It's just that I despise dubs who just merely put them purely on top without any consideration at all. Example, someone speaking when his mouth is not moving (not telekinesis energy kinda thing), and when someone is having wrong expression at the wrong time (screaming when you see birds? or purely nothing when a character in the show is suppose to scream). That's just about it really...
    A place where I store stuff that I create. Ascension Drive. | Fizzy Bubbles

Eh crap, I can't choose between the two. This is gonna go half and half!

DENTO-FRUIT
    100% fruit for 100% real fangirls

Teal Guest

I like the Yu Yu Hakusho dub, it's better than the original. That's the only dub I like better.

Subs are the best option to me really,.

Seriously, why do people have problems with reading subtitles? That 'oh I prefer to watch the animation rather than read' excuse doesn't make any sense to me. I can read the text and watch the animation at the same time with ease, so I fail to see the problem. *shrugs*

For me it depends. If its a choice between a dub or fansub for an animé that tends to suffer due to being shown on TV, such as...ohh...Sonic X for example, I'm going to go with the subtitled versions straight away, because of the fact that the music, voice-acting (which is incredibly dire in said series) and dialogue is awful in the english version, rendering it totally unwatchable.

If its a choice between dub or sub for animé that isn't marketted for kids via TV or is dubbed to a high enough standard, I'll watch both. Personally, I find japanese voice acting to be a lot more pleasing to the ear more often than not, but that doesn't mean I'll turn down a good dub.

Indeed. Many people who've seen the dub flipped over Son Goku's voice in the Japanese version. "HE SOUNDS TOO MUCH LIKE A WOMAN!" Which is possibly the worst excuse for hating a voice considering many could argue that Sean Schemmel makes Goku sound too much like a blundering idiot, forces grunts where they're not necessary (the entire DBZ community HAS to remember the infamous "Kamehame-Ha Dump"), and just doesn't grab the whole inner-child of Goku that Nozawa Masako captured perfectly (Goku's a man, but he's still a kid on the inside).
    True that makes sense but she also did Bardock voice and does he "act" like a kid? Hell no. So for the Son family it acceptable but with bardock doesn't seem right.

Also be aware, fansubs aren't the most accurate thing. I remember the ol' DBZ fansubs where swears where thrown in EVERY sentence. XD Stuff that was never even in the dialogue. Here's an example.
    Vegeta's searching for Dr. Gero and can't find him due to them being in a large mountain, desert area and can't sense Gero's Ki.

Fansub Vegeta: Come on out and fight me, you weak, candy-a**, rat!
    Proper Sub Vegeta: Come out of hiding and fight, coward!
    Yea i found that really hidlarious. Man you can't imagine how much f*ck word they used in the frieza saga fansub. It was like more swears than the DeadWood series. LOL

Gridiron Guest

Since I have no way of watching subbed anime's, I have to choose dubbed. Plus I'd probably read the subtitles too slow and get behindXD

I put subs originally, but then changed my mind =/

I'm in the middle. Like some said, it depends on how good the dub is, Inuyasha (Only one I have watched, and liked A LOT) is an example, where I will watch the sub and dub, just to see the differences between both of them, which are very good. Some like One Piece, I will just stick to the sub, and I have watched all the dubbed ones so far........So like I said, it's up to the dub, while I will watch both if both are good.

Quote Originally Posted by That Scary Clefairy
    True that makes sense but she also did Bardock voice and does he "act" like a kid? Hell no. So for the Son family it acceptable but with bardock doesn't seem right.
    It's a tradition where Son Goku's entire generation has somewhat the same voice. :P Bardock, however, did not have the child-like innocence that Son Goku had. If you've seen the special, you can pretty much tell that Nozawa Masako basically voiced Bardock exactly like Goku, only not using the goofball attitude he has. Bardock basically had Goku's seriousness.

Quote Originally Posted by That Scary Clefairy
    Yea i found that really hidlarious. Man you can't imagine how much f*ck word they used in the frieza saga fansub. It was like more swears than the DeadWood series. LOL
    Hell, when Goku went Super Saiyajin for the first time, Freezer simply said "Nani..?" which simply translates to "What..?" Whereas the fansubs had him go as far as saying "What the hell?" or "What the f*ck?" Rather hilarious how they didn't get that many episodes titles correctly translated, either.

Vegetto's transformation episode was originally 「合体!!ベジータの誇りと悟空の怒り」("Merged!! Vegeta's Pride and Goku's Rage"). The fansub listed it as "The Birth of the Invincible Hero," which is completely wrong, missing proper punctuation and Goku and Vegeta's names.

Abhorsen Guest

Dubbed in English, only because I've never seen one with subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Seriously, why do people have problems with reading subtitles? That 'oh I prefer to watch the animation rather than read' excuse doesn't make any sense to me. I can read the text and watch the animation at the same time with ease, so I fail to see the problem. *shrugs*
    Yeah, I've been watching some Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh episodes, and I've noticed how it takes longer to speak in Japanese then to read English.

I personally like the subbed episodes, since I know what everybody's saying, and it's original. I also like the original music. It's the newest dub music that makes me dislike the recent dub episodes of Pokemon.

On the other hand, I do like some of the funny lines that are in dubs that aren't in the original. (I personally don't think they're that corny.)
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by MJC CartoGuy
    On the other hand, I do like some of the funny lines that are in dubs that aren't in the original. (I personally don't think they're that corny.)
    Added and changed lines like in Dragon Ball Z's third season during the Freezer saga are just..awful and are seriously no laughing matter.

English Piccolo: King Kai opened up a direct telepathic link between the two of us.
    English Kaio-sama: "And just ten cents a minute. That's my rate! Hey, I still got it! *chuckle chuckle snort*"

Japanese Piccolo: I'm using Kaio to speak directly into your hearts.
    Japanese Kaio-sama: I won't have you dishonor my name. Kaio-sama is how I am addressed, Kaio-sama.

Now, the name dishonoring COULD have been done in the dub, considering Piccolo could have simply said "Kai opened up a telepathic link between us." And then he'd have gone and corrected him to call him King Kai. But of course, we can't have any too serious moments and need a little stupid comedy every five minutes. >_>; Not to mention, Piccolo's line is wrong considering even Kuririn and Dende can hear Piccolo, so it's not just between him and Gohan. >_>;;

For me it depends. If its a choice between a dub or fansub for an animé that tends to suffer due to being shown on TV, such as...ohh...Sonic X for example, I'm going to go with the subtitled versions straight away, because of the fact that the music, voice-acting (which is incredibly dire in said series) and dialogue is awful in the english version, rendering it totally unwatchable.

If its a choice between dub or sub for animé that isn't marketted for kids via TV or is dubbed to a high enough standard, I'll watch both. Personally, I find japanese voice acting to be a lot more pleasing to the ear more often than not, but that doesn't mean I'll turn down a good dub.
    Indeed. In regards to the comment about the Sonic dub and Japanese being slightly more pleasing to the ear, to be exact. I watched Sonic X, and the voices just sounded even *more* dire when coming out of 'cool' animals that they do humans. *nods*

Who the HELL were those two robots with Robo- I mean, 'Eggman', by the way? o.o;

As for the Japanese... some people I've talked too, being morons that they are, seemed to think that the Japanese language is exactly the same as Chinese. They usually follow up that comment with a rather crappy and bizarre impression of a Chinese person, with words they seemed to have glenned from watching advetisements on the television for frozen noodles.

Of course, that's utter rubbish. And, may I add, I find the whole language and sound of it to be rather... sexy. :P A 'sweet' girl character in Japanese will always sound better than a 'sweet' girl character in English... the same goes for the guys. Shinichiro Miki's voice, in particular, rather hot. (Although, I prefere his Tsuzuki voice in Yami no Matsuei so his Kojiro/James voice in Pokemon, which are basically the same thing, but slightly modified.)

Yes, I'm bias. But at least I'm willing to admit by elitism and 'otaku' snobbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Added and changed lines like in Dragon Ball Z's third season during the Freezer saga are just..awful and are seriously no laughing matter.

English Piccolo: King Kai opened up a direct telepathic link between the two of us.
    English Kaio-sama: "And just ten cents a minute. That's my rate! Hey, I still got it! *chuckle chuckle snort*"

Japanese Piccolo: I'm using Kaio to speak directly into your hearts.
    Japanese Kaio-sama: I won't have you dishonor my name. Kaio-sama is how I am addressed, Kaio-sama.

Now, the name dishonoring COULD have been done in the dub, considering Piccolo could have simply said "Kai opened up a telepathic link between us." And then he'd have gone and corrected him to call him King Kai. But of course, we can't have any too serious moments and need a little stupid comedy every five minutes. >_>; Not to mention, Piccolo's line is wrong considering even Kuririn and Dende can hear Piccolo, so it's not just between him and Gohan. >_>;;

Yes... It's true...
    -----------------------------------------------
    czzzzzzz[]:::::::::::::::::::::::> ()__)__)__)__)__)__)

Taking back to previous Holy War in 243 years ago - The Lost Canvas.

Second part has ended and the twin gods were sealed. Then visiting to the Bluegard to get the source of power...

Status: | Aries | Taurus | Gemini | Cancer | Leo | Virgo | Libra | Scorpio | Sagittarius | Capricorn | Aquarius | Pisces | Pope/Altar |

I also known as Entei in chatroom.

Mario Kart DS - 073080 634195
    Pokemon Diamond DS - 0645 2455 5853
    SSBB Wii - 3909 7241 6221

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Hell, when Goku went Super Saiyajin for the first time, Freezer simply said "Nani..?" which simply translates to "What..?" Whereas the fansubs had him go as far as saying "What the hell?" or "What the f*ck?" Rather hilarious how they didn't get that many episodes titles correctly translated, either.
    Yes, I tend to get the often with the fansubs I usually obtain. Now, I don't actually know too much japanese myself, but even I notice the mistakes made with subtitles. I'm still amazed at how anyone could translate the perfectly english sounding 'Tapdance' into 'A Capella Dance', even when the character in the next scene is clearly tapdancing.
    And how anyone could get 'Time to wake up!' out of 'Onegai!' is beyond me x.x
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Who the HELL were those two robots with Robo- I mean, 'Eggman', by the way? o.o;
    Those would be Decoe and Bocoe. They were only introduced to the world via Sonic X, so you wouldn't have seen them anywhere else ^^; They're basically the bumbling sidekick robots of the series. Although, sadly, they tend to be overshadowed a lot by the (god-damn useless and far less entertaining) humans. A shame, because they have some amusing lines~

Yes, I tend to get the often with the fansubs I usually obtain. Now, I don't actually know too much japanese myself, but even I notice the mistakes made with subtitles. I'm still amazed at how anyone could translate the perfectly english sounding 'Tapdance' into 'A Capella Dance', even when the character in the next scene is clearly tapdancing.
    And how anyone could get 'Time to wake up!' out of 'Onegai!' is beyond me x.x
    I could, actually. In regards to Onegai... if the person was saying while trying to get someone up, that is. Obviously, 'Onegai' does translate as 'Please' (As I'm sure many Onegai Teacher and Onegai Twins would know. And the various hentai fans who visit this forum... I imagine such a word is mutter quite a lot in H Circles, mmm?) but in such a situation, it's 'meaning' would change...

Raw < Sub < Dub

But hey, that's just me. =P

In some exceptionally rare cases though, the dub will be better, and then I will actually watch it. But like I said, that's a very rare find.
    || The stars rule men, but God rules the stars. ||

OWNER OF THE CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE
    Cartoon Bish; Soundwave

Cowboy Bebop Dub > CB Sub.

Sometimes the same goes for Trigun. >_>; But that's just me.

Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast