View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

    893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

    465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

    396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

    228 11.50%
Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 2595

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,885

    Default

    Alfonso, while I will agree with you on how voices just seem to sound better in Japanese, it could just be because Japanese isn't our native language, we have been using English our entire lives, and we might just easily get attracted to anything foreign. For example, in all these romance comedies I've seen, women seem to adore French. With that in mind, several Japanese might find English very nice-sounding compared to their own language. But I can't know for sure unless some survey was done on a majority of both native English speakers and native Japanese speakers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shigeru-Kun
    Raw < Sub < Dub

    But hey, that's just me. =P

    In some exceptionally rare cases though, the dub will be better, and then I will actually watch it. But like I said, that's a very rare find.
    um, you do realize that having the arrow go in that direction implies that the dub is better than the sub, right? If you intended the arrows to poin that way, why are you saying the dub is better "in some exceptionally rare cases"?

    Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

    I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roxanne's trashcan
    Posts
    6,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san
    Alfonso, while I will agree with you on how voices just seem to sound better in Japanese, it could just be because Japanese isn't our native language, we have been using English our entire lives, and we might just easily get attracted to anything foreign. For example, in all these romance comedies I've seen, women seem to adore French. With that in mind, several Japanese might find English very nice-sounding compared to their own language. But I can't know for sure unless some survey was done on a majority of both native English speakers and native Japanese speakers.
    *shrugs* From what I've seen, the Japanese seem to love the English language, going by all the random English they seem to slip everywhere. ^_^o (In songs, advertisements, etc.)

    It's a hard language, though. Japanese, I mean. *nods* I'm enjoying showing off my current knowledge of Hiragana/Katakana. (And a few Kanji.) Let's just say that the peeps over at college should now know how to write 'Watashi wa Yami no Robaato desu'. At least, they'd better. (Question: Would 'I am now ______________________ desu' be "Ima ni ________ desu"?) Anyone?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,885

    Default

    I don't think any particle after 'ima' is extremely necessary, but considering it's a point in time, I can assume 'wa' would be used after it (kinda like 'kyou wa...'). Though, I personally don't recall a particle used after 'ima' coming up very often (unless you include 'kara/made' as particles).
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 1st April 2005 at 3:29 AM.

    Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

    I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    um, you do realize that having the arrow go in that direction implies that the dub is better than the sub, right? If you intended the arrows to poin that way, why are you saying the dub is better "in some exceptionally rare cases"?
    Obviously you've never heard of the "eating" example.

    You see, the sign "<" looks like an open mouth. When I say Raw < Sub < Dub, I'm basically saying the raw beats the sub and the sub beats the dub. Like it's eating the other. A weird way to look at it, but that's how I was taught. o_o;

    EDIT: Example with math:

    8 > 2

    It's eating the bigger number. Anyone else get this!? XD
    Last edited by Shigeru-kun; 1st April 2005 at 3:42 AM.
    || The stars rule men, but God rules the stars. ||

    OWNER OF THE CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE
    Cartoon Bish; Soundwave

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roxanne's trashcan
    Posts
    6,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san
    I don't think any particle after 'ima' is extremely necessary, but considering it's a point in time, I can assume 'wa' would be used after it (kinda like 'kyou wa...'). Though, I personally don't recall a particle used after 'ima' coming up very often (unless you include 'kara/made' as particles).
    Heh. It's very confusing. ^_^o I've decided that to learn Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji, I'll practise by writing 'interesting' phrases and such. The ones that I'm using at the moment (Which helps with past tense and such.) are: "I was the Angel of Darkness..." "I am now the Angel of Light." which I guess would be "Watashi wa Yami no Tenshi deshita..." and "Ima (?) watashi wa Hikari no Tenshi desu."

    It's just the 'ima' I'm having trouble with, because if you think about it, it's a 'time' but I'm unsure as to how to treat it... as a 'Kyou' time or a '12:00' time, if you get what I mean. And if I use 'wa', it would make the 'ima' the topic of the sentence, which it isn't really. @.@

    *thinks*

    私は暗闇の天使だった。今私はライトの天使である。

    That's what babelfish has to say about it. I take it that from this, there *is* no particle after 'ima'. However, I may have to PM Murgatroyd or someone about this, because it's slightly confusing. The symbol after 'Watashi wa', I assume is the one to indicate 'was'. The ones at the end confuse me though... 'Datta'? The same goes for the ones at the end of the second sentence, 'Dearu'.

    Oh, and I know that it says 'Raito', which suggests actual light as supposed to the 'Holy' type of light I waas going for. *nods*

  6. #56
    Uraobonkotsu Guest

    Default

    The only english dub that I prefer the Japanese version all around is Yu Yu Hakusho. Everything else is Japanese subbed for me.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Yeah, aside from Yusuke's voice sound far too old for a 14 year old (which is funny considering another FUNimation dub, Fullmetal Alchemist, also has a VA who's voice is far too old sounding for the young main character) and Chris Sabat annoys the hell out of me with his Kuwabara voice. What's wrong with making him sound normal rather than like a beefy meathead? >_> Well, aside from those two things there, I'd say the YuYu dub's about as close to outdoing the sub.

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,885

    Default

    you could put a comma after 'ima'.

    Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

    I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

  9. #59
    Blaziken's Emberz Guest

    Default

    There should be a choice as to if you want the original or American voices of the animé. It gives you a good choice, and to be something for everyone.

    ~ BE

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The Land of Silver
    Posts
    4,195

    Default

    The only problem I have is that some anime DVDs, don't offer exact translations of what the characters are saying. X.x;;; Inuyasha DVDs don't put what they're actually saying, just something similar to what they're saying. Case Closed DVDs have exact translations, but I prefer watching the dub of that. ^^;;;


    ----------------------
    {Bishie} Shinichi Kudou {Twin} Shigeru-Kun {Pair} Edward Elric

  11. #61
    Bishoujo Otaku Guest

    Default

    i have the first volume of FullMetal Alchemist and i like watching both. but sometimes i prefer the dub version.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA (how vague can you get?)
    Posts
    4,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Added and changed lines like in Dragon Ball Z's third season during the Freezer saga are just..awful and are seriously no laughing matter.

    English Piccolo: King Kai opened up a direct telepathic link between the two of us.
    English Kaio-sama: "And just ten cents a minute. That's my rate! Hey, I still got it! *chuckle chuckle snort*"

    Japanese Piccolo: I'm using Kaio to speak directly into your hearts.
    Japanese Kaio-sama: I won't have you dishonor my name. Kaio-sama is how I am addressed, Kaio-sama.

    Now, the name dishonoring COULD have been done in the dub, considering Piccolo could have simply said "Kai opened up a telepathic link between us." And then he'd have gone and corrected him to call him King Kai. But of course, we can't have any too serious moments and need a little stupid comedy every five minutes. >_>; Not to mention, Piccolo's line is wrong considering even Kuririn and Dende can hear Piccolo, so it's not just between him and Gohan. >_>;;
    Okay, so it depends on the line. Some dub lines are funny and some aren't. That one wasn't so bad, but then again, Piccolo's English line is still wrong, so you do have a point there.
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

    My Current HeartGold Team:

    If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

    STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

  13. #63
    JBlink Guest

    Default

    I prefer dub because it provides tone. The only anime I have seen both subbed and dubbed is Bebop and the subbed version didn't do anything for me. I didn't get excited, my heart rate never changed, and the ending didn't affect me. Tone of voice is what makes media really enjoyable, and subs just can't provide that.

    I hate the DB series, so I can't talk about its mistranslations. There is another though, Fooly Cooly. The people that dubbed FLCL did a direct translation. This is good for the plot followers like myself, but we miss most of the humor. The biggest joke in the series is the multiple meanings that the phrase Fooly Cooly has but since there is no direct translation of the phrase we don't get the joke. (Re-reading this I realize it has little to do with the conversation, sorry)

    Dub would rule in all situations if they fixed this one problem, the small pool of voice actors. A friend tried to show me some mecha anime, but I couldn't watch it because I asosiated the voices with a different anime. The same thing happend with .hack//legend. They used the voice of the main character from //sign as a minor character in legend. It ruined the whole thing for me. I am sure there are plenty of people that would work as a dubing voice actor, I don't understand why there is more variety in the industry.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA (how vague can you get?)
    Posts
    4,277

    Default

    I still would prefer subtitiled episodes, but I suppose I can be careful which fansubs I can use. (Otherwise, I might end up watching a fansub even as bad as (or worse then) the dub!)

    Of course, if the dub isn't terrible, then l'll listen to it.
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

    My Current HeartGold Team:

    If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

    STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

  15. #65
    David Melendez Guest

    Default

    Dub, though I do admit it can get bad at times.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Goddess
    Case Closed DVDs have exact translations, but I prefer watching the dub of that. ^^;;;
    That's cause Steve Simmons is the best translator FUNimation has on their staff. :O

    Quote Originally Posted by JBlink
    Dub would rule in all situations if they fixed this one problem, the small pool of voice actors. A friend tried to show me some mecha anime, but I couldn't watch it because I asosiated the voices with a different anime. The same thing happend with .hack//legend. They used the voice of the main character from //sign as a minor character in legend. It ruined the whole thing for me. I am sure there are plenty of people that would work as a dubing voice actor, I don't understand why there is more variety in the industry.
    Another problem most dubbing companies have is that instead of simply TRANSLATING dialogue, they feel the need to rewrite lines and so forth.

    Regarding .hack//LotTB, I'd have to say what killed me about the dub's airing was the fact that CN tried airing it in fullscreen (which squashed the hell out of the scenes unless you switched your TV's resolution to widescreen) and the voices were just AWFUL compared to SIGN's and Liminality's. And for some reason, the name Rena ended up being pronounced as Reina through out the entire series. o_O;

    That being another problem. These companies need to actually WATCH the programs they get. Let their staff watch 'em and study them to understand what they're working with rather than reading a script and going by that.

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Utsunomiya-shi, JAPAN
    Posts
    2,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    That being another problem. These companies need to actually WATCH the programs they get. Let their staff watch 'em and study them to understand what they're working with rather than reading a script and going by that.
    That would be the ideal situation. Unfortunately, the reality is that anime dubs have deadlines, and most anime dubbing companies don't have the luxury of taking the time to watch an entire series before dubbing it.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    That would be the ideal situation. Unfortunately, the reality is that anime dubs have deadlines, and most anime dubbing companies don't have the luxury of taking the time to watch an entire series before dubbing it.
    That's what I'm talking about.



    I heard when Inuyasha said 'Dammit' and even said '***'.
    -_-
    -----------------------------------------------
    czzzzzzz[]:::::::::::::::::::::::> ()__)__)__)__)__)__)

    Taking back to previous Holy War in 243 years ago - The Lost Canvas.



    Second part has ended and the twin gods were sealed. Then visiting to the Bluegard to get the source of power...

    Status: | Aries | Taurus | Gemini | Cancer | Leo | Virgo | Libra | Scorpio | Sagittarius | Capricorn | Aquarius | Pisces | Pope/Altar |

    I also known as Entei in chatroom.

    Mario Kart DS - 073080 634195
    Pokemon Diamond DS - 0645 2455 5853
    SSBB Wii - 3909 7241 6221

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,885

    Default

    Is a deadline really so much that the voice actors can't take 20 minutes of their time to watch through the original episode, or at least skip to the scenes with their characters in them? Even if there was a reason for that, while it would explain the dubs that are rushed to be shown on TV, there wouldn't be any excuse for this kind of stuff happening to series originally intended for a DVD release and no television airing in mind. I'm pretty sure there are several DVD-only series that leave the viewers to assume no one saw the originals beforehand.

    Quote Originally Posted by theboar
    That's what I'm talking about.



    I heard when Inuyasha said 'Dammit' and even said '***'.
    -_-
    I can assume that three-letter bleep is a synonym for the buttocks. Listen, according to your profile, you claim to be a few months older than my elder brother (whom is 3 years older than me), so may I ask why you're bothering to point out cursing on a mature anime like Inuyasha, especially rather minor cursing like that? And I don't think it has any relevance to Dogasu's quote, neither.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 6th April 2005 at 3:12 AM.

    Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

    I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

  20. #70
    stormmage769 Guest

    Default

    i prefer subs. why? b/c they have not been touched (tainted) by moral's religion angry parent's themself's and society itself. IMO subs>>>>>>dubs

  21. #71
    Metagross Guest

    Default

    I don't care either way,as long as I can understand it.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England UK
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Dubbed hands down.
    I admit there have been times when ive liked a few of the japanese voices, but subbed versions are a little overrated if you ask me.
    I can't see why they're so good. A few extra scenes maybe (that have been cut from the dub versions) and such, but nothing to scream about IMO.
    I'd rather watch an anime that has been "messed up" by dubbers in a language i can understand, than watch a "perfect" version with subtitles any day.
    [img]http://i40.*******.com/10cjcqv.gif[/img]
    Banner: pink skitty | Profile Pic: Hakuryuu | Team Pose: Gladeshadow. Thanks guys~ ;3
    Fan of Sonic? Join my Fanlisting and show the love~

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA (how vague can you get?)
    Posts
    4,277

    Default

    Don't forget that the music in each version might not necessarilly be the same. But still, if you like dubs more, that's okay, since I personally don't mind some of the funny "dub exclusive" lines that some of the characters say. (C'mon, guys, you gotta admit some of those lines are good.)
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

    My Current HeartGold Team:

    If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

    STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California, USA - The Bay Area
    Posts
    142

    Default

    I prefer subs hand down. Some anime are all 'westernized' when they go through the dubbing process, making it lose its flavor. ;-;
    banner

    l Pair - Frost Drake l Evil Sidekick - Blue Jasmine l Twins with - Darkchu l

    l PokeCommunity l Infinity Forums l

    I claim Ichigo from Bleach as my bishounen! =3

  25. #75
    HashiriyaGDB Guest

    Default

    Subbed. The only dub I've seen on my PC is Pokémon Heroes.

    There's one exception though, and that's the cantonese dub of Initial D, which is just as good, if not better than, the original.

    BTW, how do you upload your own avatar? I don't know how so I stuck with this CGI Kyogre avater until I get an answer.
    Last edited by HashiriyaGDB; 28th April 2005 at 1:43 AM.

Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •