View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 4 of 104 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Avatar uploading doesn't exist at SPPf, due to bandwidth problems. =/

Which sucks. ;-;
    banner

l Pair - Frost Drake l Evil Sidekick - Blue Jasmine l Twins with - Darkchu l

l PokeCommunity l Infinity Forums l

I claim Ichigo from Bleach as my bishounen! =3

Caluchu Guest

Well, I don't understand japanese and I think the japanese titles it's a little boring...

I get used with the dubs, so the dubs would do...

It really depends on the series, as some have excellent dubbed versions, while others are best to stick with the Japanese. In a nutshell, I'm for both versions.
    A special thanks to ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the awesome banner!

Pair: The talented Sike Saner!

Claims: Allenby Beardsley (Bishie), Rhythm Emotion - Gundam W (Anime Song)

It depends. I mostly buy my animes on DVDs. I don't watch Adult Swimfor Anime.. since thet took off Wolf's Rain. Some anime dubs aren't bad. Saiyuki' ADV dub wasn't bad. The English voice cast was great and the same vocie actor who did Son Goku's Dub voice in Saiyuki does Chrono's in Chrno Crusade.

However.. With Saiyuki Reload... The English voices changed.. so I watch it in Subbed.

I like the original voices.
    The dubbed versions are hardly ever good.
    In many series characters have a childish voice or a voice which doesn't fit them that much in the dubbed version.
    Sometimes the people who dub it, also change some things in the story.
    For example one of the characters in Sailor Moon has a different in the German version than in the original one...

Button by WereDragn
    ORAS News
    (oh yeah, if you didn't know, my PM box is still full...)

Intimidator Guest

I'm halfed on this issue. If 4Kids didn't do a half-assed job on Pokemon, I would have liked it dubbed. More like Subbed now, so we can hear Shuu's haxoringly deep voice. Seckseh.

i went half-half. reason why is i hate 4kids dubbing anime. any ounce of blood is dubbed out. and some others dubbing comps. are good.
    3DS Friend Code: 2466-1438-1624

WindyNight Guest

Either way is fine with me! ^^

Mahou Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raikou 25
    i went half-half. reason why is i hate 4kids dubbing anime. any ounce of blood is dubbed out. and some others dubbing comps. are good.
    Actually, funnily enough, they dubbed Shaman King, but on ep 34 you can see that Hao's (Zeke on the dub) face and hand is covered in blood, and it shows you him licking some off his hand too. They didn't cut it out! O.O
    Anyway, as for the poll, I pick subbed. :P

That was a mistake, considering they get rid of a red X on duct tape. Also 4kids even made things VERY confusing in Kanto and DOn't forget they released Destiny Deoxys WAY to early. Summer would be good. But they had Grovyle, Swellow, Bulbasaur and Combusken in them, all ash and Co. Heck Torchic didn't evolve yet and Tailow just did. And that aired in late January. I picked subbed in 4kids case, and I like my decision. Even watching the Original verison without knowing the language is much better. That's a disgrace to 4kids. I'm surprised the owwner of 4kids is a greeder million air due to the shows they dub, when they put half-assed thought into it. Just Translate it and you'll be back on track. Forget about it being for 6-10 10-16 is more like it.
    Want to make games?

Join Zelda Classic! Say that I directed you there
    http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

Mahou Guest

I don't know... a lot of stuff on Shaman King was kept (because of the impact it would have on the story), although some was altered. Not too much though, nothing that would actually affect the plot at all, anyway. Though, I think the first part was done similar to Pokemon and Yugioh, but when they dubbed the second part (ep 26 onwards, i think), they done a pretty good job imo.
    On another anime by 4kids: Yugioh. On the latest series (Waking the Dragons), I can't believe they made Kaiba so arrogant compared to him on the japanese one? The dubbed Kaiba, fyi, says "they're just holograms" even when duelling Dartz at the end, while japanese Kaiba is much better.
    End rant. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Mahou
    I don't know... a lot of stuff on Shaman King was kept (because of the impact it would have on the story), although some was altered. Not too much though, nothing that would actually affect the plot at all, anyway. Though, I think the first part was done similar to Pokemon and Yugioh, but when they dubbed the second part (ep 26 onwards, i think), they done a pretty good job imo.
    On another anime by 4kids: Yugioh. On the latest series (Waking the Dragons), I can't believe they made Kaiba so arrogant compared to him on the japanese one? The dubbed Kaiba, fyi, says "they're just holograms" even when duelling Dartz at the end, while japanese Kaiba is much better.
    End rant. XD

What did kaiba say in the Japanese version O_o

Mahou Guest

I can't remember the words exactly, but basically, in the dub he believed that Dartz had hacked the holograms to look like Yami's friends to stop him from attacking, while in the original he knew that they actually had Yami's friends' souls.

Blue Beard Guest

subbed all the way

Koyuki Guest

I like the japanese with enlgish subtitles, they make more sence and some english dubs sound horrible.
    like for instance Inu-Yasha, They toned down everything that they say, and a lot of it makes no since ITS THE SHICHININTAI(7 man army) NOT THE BAND OF SEVEN.
    On Onepiece Its devil fruit not the cursed fruit.
    On Inuyasha(犬夜叉 ) its Kaze No Kizu(風の傷 ) (directly translated wind of wound or wound of wind) and also in english dubs, alot of R's get turned into L's there aren't L's in japanese names/words. its Kirara not Kilala. and If they make the Keroro Gunso into a kids show.... I will kill people, that manga is good, but if they edit out the guns and such like in yu-gi-oh then it will suck out loud.
    and over all, The honorifics like sama san kun(pronounced like the coon in racoon) chan and so on and so fourth, even though we don't use those I have heard sempai in chobits english version.

SuperSexyPikachu Guest

Subbed all the way. You can usually count on subs to be excellent. I also prefer as many others the original songs, and unlike the dubbed versions, the original VA don't have annoying voices. The dubbed versions also seem to lack alot of emotions unlike their Japanese counter part.
    These made not be good examples to some, but here are some anime that fall under these cases.(animes that I've seen full versions of both)
    Chobits
    Gate Keepers 21
    Read Or Die OVA
    Read or Die TV
    Samurai Champloo
    Sonic(not exactly an anime)
    Shaman King
    Elfen Lied
    Last edited by SuperSexyPikachu; 15th June 2005 at 10:25 PM.

InfiniteBlue Guest

It all depends. If I think the dub is good, I'd watch that more often than the Japanese version. But if I think the dub sucks, I'd obviously stick with the Japanese version.

What I Think Have Good Dubs
    ~Spirited Away
    ~FLCL
    ~Metropolis
    ~Pokemon
    ~Dragon Ball
    ~Full Metal Alchemist
    ~Cowboy Bebop
    ~Kiki's Delivery Service
    ~Howl's Moving Castle (I haven't seen it yet, but the trailer makes it seem good)
    ~Princess Mononoke

What I Think Have Bad Dubs
    ~Sailor Moon
    ~Rave Master (I haven't even seen the Japanese version of this and it irks me!)
    ~Escaflowne
    ~Castle in the Sky

Bishoujo Otaku Guest

i always like the original version. but on the english version, there's big difference. some anime changes the character's name. like on Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Mew Mew Power.
    i've seen both version of FullMetal Alchemist and it has the best dub but sometimes they might make a little mistake on the dub version and it's ok.

SecretMew is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

Subbed. Original voices rule, the dub ruins the music on anime often. Reading is easy, the text doesn't kill the anime. There may be good dubs too, but I prefer subbed.

I highly prefer Subbed and even Raw... But will watch a dub and not grown and moan over it...

Put two VHS's next to each other, one dub bed and one subbed... I'd always take the Subbed one... I've gotten used to reading the text at the corner of my eye...

The main reason I'd go with sub is that in most of the animes I've heard both... The origional Japanese voices tend to fit a lot better with the character then the Dubbed voices... The ones I've heard both are:

- Sonic Anime Movie (more or less the 2 episode series)
    - Sonic X (Tails and Cream are the more noticible to me)
    - Pokemon (After I saw movie 5 subbed (fan sub I ran across on the net a long time ago) Satoshi's Japanese voice sounded a lot better to me then Ash's American voice)
    - Escaflowne

Mind you, this is only a small list..
    Last edited by BlueFlameCharizard; 17th June 2005 at 4:00 AM.

[ Latias claimed on "8-2-2005, 5:17 PM" on the thread "Bishie Thread [Version 2.0]" ]
    NOTICE: The above picture was drawn, colored, shaded, ect. from scratch by Me.
    Please don't take it and use it else where, at least without my permission... =]

Vampire Monkey Guest

I kinda prefer the dub, the subtitles sort of distract me from the action

I always watch an anime dubbed, and then (if it's on there) subtitled.
    It's a good compromise, but I think dubbed is okay as long as it stays close to the source material.

I can't choose, some animes are just better as subbed but I really would love to watch Pokemon with subtitles.

I prefer dubbed animé, because I like to focus all of my attention on the screen instead of reading at the bottom of it. Sure, some dubs are terrible, but I watch them regardless. Plus, the only animé that I've seen subbed are Yu Yu Hakusho and Fruits Basket (only because I have them on DVD).
    Listen, I probably won't be coming here much anymore. I don't know, but I seemed to have lost interest in these forums. Sorry. :/

|Backloggery|

Ziggy Guest

I don't have too many problems on either focusing my attentions on the Subtitles or in the movie, I actually read the subtitles preety fast. Plus, its good to use subtitles so you get used to a foreign language, and is a good way to learn. I like to hear the original voices as well, despite our dubbing is preety good and loyal to the original.

I remember the show called...
    In Jap: Saint Seiya
    In US: Knight Of Zodiac

I prefer Saint Seiya (Japanese Version, Subbed of course.) because...

Compare between Japanese Version and American Version:
    When people in war, the blood shown when injuried.

In Japanese Version; The blood color is red. <--- like everybody's blood is red, of course. And I'm not afraid of that.

In Amercian Version; The blood color is blue. <--- eww, blue blood... yuck.
    I remeber one guy cut himself to give up his energy, his blood color is bright green. <--- eww again, no offense.
    -----------------------------------------------
    czzzzzzz[]:::::::::::::::::::::::> ()__)__)__)__)__)__)

Taking back to previous Holy War in 243 years ago - The Lost Canvas.

Second part has ended and the twin gods were sealed. Then visiting to the Bluegard to get the source of power...

Status: | Aries | Taurus | Gemini | Cancer | Leo | Virgo | Libra | Scorpio | Sagittarius | Capricorn | Aquarius | Pisces | Pope/Altar |

I also known as Entei in chatroom.

Mario Kart DS - 073080 634195
    Pokemon Diamond DS - 0645 2455 5853
    SSBB Wii - 3909 7241 6221

Page 4 of 104 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast