View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 98 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2595

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Well, I prefer subbed
    Because I prefer Japanese Voice Actor/Actress. This is better than dubbed version. Sometime a young boy was dubbed by male VA in English version, it's not match voice for me
    Wanna be friends? Read these requirements:
    - If you are ANIME & MANGA FAN, make sure you love yaoi and yuri. No SAO fan, No A/Z Fan, No anime contains NTR fan, no Shoujo Fan, and no Harem Fan! Tokyo Ghoul and Kagerou Project fans of course accepted! If you love mystery, horror, crime, philosophy anime. Why not befriend with me? ^^
    - If you are POKEMONFAN, make sure you are FAN of Unova (Pokemon BW, BW2, Pokespe BW/BW2, of course Pokemon Best Wishes!), FAN of Trip, do not bashing Trip (and other pokeani rivals), either competitive battler on PO or PokeShowdown I accepted!

Listening to the english voices is odd for me. I like listening to the japanese voices, the guys always sound cooler XD
    People say that I should realize that life in reality is not like a fantasy game. Of course it isn't. Why do you think I play games?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-san View Post
    Listening to the english voices is odd for me. I like listening to the japanese voices, the guys always sound cooler XD
    So you wish we all spoke Japanese then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    What about numbers? Everyone knows how to speak that.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Subbed, I only like dubs in certain animes but not the shounen jump english dubs, The voices are ugly.

I don't mind either way.

Subbed is nice but slightly annoying for me because I have to read the bottom of the screen while watching, but I normally hate the voice actors that dub.

Each has their drawbacks, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Subbed. I like to watch things with the original audio, it's always way better.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

"Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    Original does not mean better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    Well, it wouldn't be a bad thing if people were multi-lingual, which is why I prefer watching anime, and any TV show, in other languages.

Ugh, I can't believe I was idiotic enough to click on this aneurysm-inducing thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by lovepika View Post
    Subbed. Started at Digiom when I watched the entire generation 1 anime subbed, and I realized that Japanese names are much better (seriously, my favourite Digimon, Tailmon, is in English called 'gatomon' and in my language, 'gate' means.. Well.. underpants.. and Tepig. In my language, that means carpet.) sounding and original voice is always better, too, so I decided any anime is better subbed than dubbed, and prefer to watch it in original language. But the problem is, it's really hard to actually find subbed version...
    You're complaining about Tepig meaning carpet in "your language?" Why don't you watch Pokemon in "your language" instead? Pokemon names are made to fit each language, so it's ridiculous to complain about an English name's meaning in another language and use that as an argument against dubs. A legitimate complaint would be if there was a Pokemon named "carpet" in english.

Saying that the original voice is always better is extremely closed minded of you. English voices are much more varied and sometimes a lot more realistic. The Japanese only cast idols for female voices, for one thing, so you don't get much variation from the "young skinny twenty year-old woman who looks and sounds like a ten year old girl" mould. English voice actresses aren't worshipped like Japanese voice actresses are, so almost anyone can become one (age and looks don't matter).

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1228 View Post
    Yeah, but sometimes it's hard to hear the english words and often, the voices aren't chosen well. (Ex: Bleach's English Dub is terrible) (No offense, >.< sorry)
    I'm tired of the "I hate English because the voices suck" argument. The voices can suck in Japanese too, you just don't notice because you don't speak Japanese so you don't pay much attention to how the voices put words together. You're also biased towards the Japanese voices if you watched the Anime subbed before you watched it dubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Airi-Chan View Post
    Well, I prefer subbed
    Because I prefer Japanese Voice Actor/Actress. This is better than dubbed version. Sometime a young boy was dubbed by male VA in English version, it's not match voice for me
    True, and that is a legitimate complaint. However, using it to say that Japanese voices are better is wrong because the Japanese are really bad for having women voice teenage boys and sometimes adult men (Goku from DBZ), which is even more jarring than little boys with deep voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-san View Post
    Yeah, listening to your native language sure is odd! And of course Japanese sounds cooler. You don't understand it (learning a couple of Japanese words from Anime does not mean that you know Japanese).

Quote Originally Posted by AceFlonne View Post
    Subbed, I only like dubs in certain animes but not the shounen jump english dubs, The voices are ugly.
    I agree with that argument. However, it's not like Shonen Jump Anime are the highest pedigree you can watch (in fact, they're just about the lowest), so it doesn't even concern me if the voices are subpar. Their target audiences are ten year-old boys, not middle-aged film critics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    You had a really good argument going on before you ruined it with your generalization at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacie View Post
    Well, it wouldn't be a bad thing if people were multi-lingual, which is why I prefer watching anime, and any TV show, in other languages.
    That's a fair argument. But learning Japanese from watching Anime is like learning English from watching old Western movies. It's an extremely one-sided view of an entire culture.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Saying that the original voice is always better is extremely closed minded of you. English voices are much more varied and sometimes a lot more realistic. The Japanese only cast idols for female voices, for one thing, so you don't get much variation from the "young skinny twenty year-old woman who looks and sounds like a ten year old girl/boy" mould.
    Fix'd for you.

And I don't think they only cast idols for voices. There are times (and more likely, I would think) where they don't cast idols and then those voices become idols by fans, but I would agree they do seem to be biased on having certain type of voices for young females.
    90% of pokemon fans hate/dislike Pikachu, if you are one of the 10% who don't, copy and paste this in your signature (started by Rukario907)
    ~Treasure Fighter (Kiyomaro's Theme)~ and Fuji Syuusuke ~Claimed

My Journey Log of Pokemon White
    Warning: General jerkiness and sarcasm abound. Of course, spoilers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Saying that the original voice is always better is extremely closed minded of you. English voices are much more varied and sometimes a lot more realistic. The Japanese only cast idols for female voices, for one thing, so you don't get much variation from the "young skinny twenty year-old woman who looks and sounds like a ten year old girl" mould. English voice actresses aren't worshipped like Japanese voice actresses are, so almost anyone can become one (age and looks don't matter).
    If you think all female seiyuu have similiar voices you really need to watch more anime with the original voices, because that couldn't be farther from the truth.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

I really don't care either way. Though I do enjoy dubbed a bit more because I can enjoy the facial expressions and movement of the characters, Subbed usually has the better voice acting. So I'm partial to both, as long as I can enjoy a great story and atmosphere.

When it comes to Pokemon, I gotta say the dub for Seasons 1-8, and then JPN Raw or JPN with Subs for the remainder of the series.

TPCi has been killing the show since September 2006. Makes me love the 4Kids One Piece Dub.

It depends on the anime or comapany, I guess. If 4Kids is handling something, that means one thing:RUN! But if it's FUNimation, you can think, "Well, they're gonna use Haberkorn's voice again, but they're funny people."
    SEE?
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

He's freaking hot.

The great majority of the time japanese language is MUCH BETTER than dub, not only are the japanese voice actors much more into the job and better,say, trained but also because of the simple fact that it's an anime so all those typical and peculiar faces and expressions made by the characters match and are portrayed much better by there native language that is linked to that over the top culture.

I prefer dubbed anime. It gets hard for me to read and keep up with what's "visually" hapenning! ^_^
    Do you like animes such as Fairy Tail, SKET Dance, etc?
    Do you enjoy digital art, and art competitions?
    Do you love an engaging community where everyone is close to each other?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, you should REALLY join...

If I had to choose one I'd pick subbed.

There are some really good dubs out there (Cowboy Bebop and FLCL come to mind), however, there are waaaaay many more horrendous ones. Some are just embarassing to watch. Plus I've honestly never had a problem with reading subs, they don't bother me.

Click for full shiny card!
    HG BQ:

Current Shiny Hunts:
    HG - Route 39 - 1400 REs ##### X - Route 10 - 600 REs

Well the anime I typically watch have action in it so I really don't want to be constantly reading and missing out on some of it, only times I've watched something subbed would be when the dub wasn't avaliable or if I couldn't wait another week for the next episode(s) so I'd have to say I'd like to have the option to choose if it's online but dubbed if it's like me owning the dvd and all.

I see how some of you are saying the original language gives more to it. I guess I'd personally like that more if I understood exactly what they are saying. I like dubbed only because I can't stand just staring at the tv. I cross stitch (aka needle point) while I watch tv. I know I still miss things, but that is what rewind is for :P

Totally depends on which dub and what anime, in all honesty. Take Pokemon for example: I love the 4Kids dub and I hate TPCi dub with a passion. The voices just freaking suck for the main characters...I can't really say much else. They still horrify me and the only voices to improve at all over the last seven years are Ash and Jessie. The rest either got even worse (Brock, May, Meowth, James) or stayed just as bad.

IMHO Overall:

#1 JPN
    #2 4Kids Dub
    #3 TPCi Dub (This one is painful to watch)

So, in other words,

Seasons 1-8: Dubbed
    9-15: Subbed

That's for Pokemon, of course.

MOST anime I prefer subbed.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 1st October 2012 at 7:27 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

I like both. I grew up to dubs and watch subbed anime if the show hasn't been dubbed yet.

Subbed, do I need to say any more? I don't really like watching dubbed animes, I actually did also learn some Japanese from animes I watched before I started taking classes when I was younger (well several years ago but you get the point, not perferct Japanese at all but anyway).

I like both. I watch dubbed when it comes out but if I really want to watch it I choose subbed

Sub, definitely. I like the original voices, and it sounds real. idk, I just always like the Japanese voices.
    ~ Dragonpokemon <3

Page 98 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102 ... LastLast