View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2595

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Definitely subbed. Since I'm somewhat sensitive to voices and I do enjoy hearing about voice actors outside of their shows, I dislike dub voice actors because the original voice has the right intonation and everything. Also watching subs prolonged for a certain amount of time (especially if you take the time to learn Japanese) would help you to understand them without subs so you can watch them raw.

Posted in this thread five years ago.

...It depends on the anime, really. If you think about it some dubs are clearly better than the sub. Death Note for example I found better in English. While some subs are just better because they came first, like, you know, Fairy Tail is better a sub. Even some other anime I can think of aren't suited to ever hit English shores.
    Click Jirachi to join the amazing Ever Grande City forums! You won't regret joining it!
    I've claimed this Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
    Posted in this thread five years ago.

...It depends on the anime, really. If you think about it some dubs are clearly better than the sub. Death Note for example I found better in English. While some subs are just better because they came first, like, you know, Fairy Tail is better a sub. Even some other anime I can think of aren't suited to ever hit English shores.
    kinda this. i prefer watching sub but some dubs are better to watch like Dragon ball z, Yu Yu Hakusho and apparently Cowboy Bebop. but if the sub is good id rather watch everything subbed

Quote Originally Posted by karczx View Post
    Also watching subs prolonged for a certain amount of time (especially if you take the time to learn Japanese) would help you to understand them without subs so you can watch them raw.
    Well, if you're learning Japanese properly then yeah it'll help.

Still, I've never met anyone who has learned Japanese from solely watching anime even though people say it all of the time.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

If you think about it some dubs are clearly better than the sub.
    No dub, or sub, is objectively better than the other. It's all opinion based, and thinking about it isn't going to change the fact that some people just don't like dubs at all, regardless of how good a certain show's dub apparently is.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Dubbed. It's not that I dont want to read its just that I'd rather watch whats going on on-screen and if I need to look away fom the TV for something (such as a text or DS game). I will miss out on what is said.

I don't know if you should be playing DS game when you're watching something. Besides that though, the animation in anime is usually not fluid enough for you to miss something unless it's a series with a very high budget or one where minor details in the background are important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I don't know if you should be playing DS game when you're watching something. Besides that though, the animation in anime is usually not fluid enough for you to miss something unless it's a series with a very high budget or one where minor details in the background are important.
    Myself I need to do something else while watching tv ,DS,Eating,HW

Subbed without a doubt. To me it just sounds so much better than dub. That and there are a lot more subbed animes than dubbed.
    3DS FC: 2637-9986-5257 (Alpha Sapphire)
    IGN: Kirito

Hmmm, for me it really depends on the Anime. I love Soul Eater and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood in Dub, Death Note, One Piece, Ouran High School Host Club with subs and Naruto in either. So yeah, I don't mind usually either way, but I do have slight preferences.
    Currently shiny hunting: Mareep (HE), Treecko (MM), Noibat (FS)
    Current (non-event) Shinies: Gulpin, Liepard, Macargo, Magikarp, Kingdra, Venusaur, Pancham, Steelix, Metagross, Lapras, Whismur, Gyarados (x2), Spinda, Wingull (x2), Sylveon, Garchomp, Dragonite, Haxorus, Burmy, Latios and Kyurem.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    kinda this. i prefer watching sub but some dubs are better to watch like Dragon ball z, Yu Yu Hakusho and apparently Cowboy Bebop. but if the sub is good id rather watch everything subbed
    You forgot to add "Kai" at the end of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78xiwb8H-s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzKWhCq2kN4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKDZERxqBQk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPoMjXyK1Wc

Take note on how better acting and sticking to the original script and music go a long way.

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

I'll have to say subbed and give a notion as to why.
    Clannad have you heard it in english? Just No.
    I lurvvvv Furukawa nagisa and Okazaki Ushio, BUT REALLY! the english voices are painful to the drums.

But on a serious note. The english voices for me, dont carry that true sincere notion that this anime needs. The japanese voice actors carried such emotion and feeling that it really did make the anime perfect. No scraggly english voice actors who didnt put off the true nature that the anime was to em-pose on the watcher.

Alot of people will say that reading the subtitles is annoying. But if you really gave it a go youd soon start forgetting your even reading them.

All in all The english dubbing cant carry the emotion i require. BUT it isnt as bad as the spanish dubbing :P

I wonder how much of that "emotion" sounds mega cartoon-y to native Japanese speakers.

Dubbed. Having to constantly read will take you out of what is going on, especially if there is action. Nothing yo do with laziness.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    Dubbed. Having to constantly read will take you out of what is going on, especially if there is action. Nothing yo do with laziness.
    I've watched a lot of action anime, all subbed, I've never had that problem.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

I voted sub, I prefer original version.Also Japanese openings-endings-background musics are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    if u watch sub u will get use to it and be able to read and watch at the same time. ive seen a ton of subbed animes and not once did i miss out on the action.

Subbed. Voices are better, and dubbed usually brings out possibly weird lines.

Quote Originally Posted by VastWhiteTruth View Post
    Subbed. Voices are better, and dubbed usually brings out possibly weird lines.
    If there's "weird lines" that's to do with the writing, not the translation. Not to mention the translations nowadays are more or less exactly the same, just slightly altered to fit the voice of the characters.

Anyway, I posted here ages ago but I have a question - has anyone ever watched an anime in one form (subbed/dubbed) and then re-watched it in another? For example, I watch One Piece online in subbed so I don't have to wait for it to be dubbed or anything. But the DVD's for One Piece have recently started coming out here in the UK and I found myself buying the first boxset a few weeks ago. I didn't just wanna re-watch the same stuff, so I decided to re-watch them dubbed for a slightly different experience. Also, its nice to wait and see what the English voices of all the characters I already know are gonna be like, especially since One Piece and Dragonball Z's characters have very similar voice actors in their English voices (Luffy/Gohan, Zoro/Piccolo, Buggy/Vegeta and Sanji/Trunks) I like doing this because I feel it keeps the experience fresh, and waiting to hear the "new" voices leaves something new to be discovered.

3DS Friend Code - 4081-6303-6683

My Anime List - updated every now and then

"Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe used to think Justin Bieber was a woman."

Subbed. The Japanese voice actors are much better in my opinion. Also, they often change the names of things when translated (usually slight changes to a character's name or altered attack names) and that irritates me.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroZombie View Post
    Subbed. The Japanese voice actors are much better in my opinion. Also, they often change the names of things when translated (usually slight changes to a character's name or altered attack names) and that irritates me.
    This, just... this. I tried watching dubbed and it annoyed me so much that I just gave up. Subbed>dubbed 95% of the time

Most Recent Shiny!

MyAnimeList
    3DS FRIEND CODE:4983-5418-8982 | IGN: Colby
    Friend Safari:
    Self Obtained Shinies:

While some subs are just better because they came first, like, you know, Fairy Tail is better a sub.
    This doesn't make sense to me. Anime subs always come first. As if popular dubbed versions of shows was never disliked by fans who grew accustomed to their subbed versions. Also, Fairy Tail doesn't sound all that bad in English. I for one thought the Funimation dub was well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Nexus View Post
    If there's "weird lines" that's to do with the writing, not the translation. Not to mention the translations nowadays are more or less exactly the same, just slightly altered to fit the voice of the characters.

Anyway, I posted here ages ago but I have a question - has anyone ever watched an anime in one form (subbed/dubbed) and then re-watched it in another? For example, I watch One Piece online in subbed so I don't have to wait for it to be dubbed or anything. But the DVD's for One Piece have recently started coming out here in the UK and I found myself buying the first boxset a few weeks ago. I didn't just wanna re-watch the same stuff, so I decided to re-watch them dubbed for a slightly different experience. Also, its nice to wait and see what the English voices of all the characters I already know are gonna be like, especially since One Piece and Dragonball Z's characters have very similar voice actors in their English voices (Luffy/Gohan, Zoro/Piccolo, Buggy/Vegeta and Sanji/Trunks) I like doing this because I feel it keeps the experience fresh, and waiting to hear the "new" voices leaves something new to be discovered.
    Yes, and I like to set a whole cast and think which actor goes with what character is really fun lol

Also, who likes to watch multilanguage videos of anime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo-iqdaMYsc

I think the poll is missing another option, Both, I watch the original Japanese (I just prefer to watch it without subtitles - only once with subtitles to understand, but all other times without them) and I also watch dubbed versions as well.

I watch the Spanish (Latin American version - as its my 1st language too) dub and really love how they use all the popular culture/puns/"childish" insults that make sense at least for me makes it 10 times funnier and more enjoyable to watch than the English dub.

Poll the closest for me was "I want to be able to choose either one" but yeah, "Both" should have been added.
    Watchog's #1 Fan!!
    PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!

FC: 4871-3995-3493 - Pokemon Y IGN: Maria
    Steel Safari Pokemon: Magneton Skarmory, and Excadrill

It depends whether I like the VAs... I loved the 4kids Pokemon, but I switched to Japanese when the VAs changed... :/
    But I'd say in most cases the original Japanese is more appealing.... it's simply better structured and makes more sense (because it is the original..). Sometimes the dub just sounds awkward.
    Nostalgic

fyeahmeiko@tumblr

Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104 LastLast