View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 103 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104 LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 2595

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

I like it subbed. I like the feeling of hearing the original instead of it loosing its original touch.

I like it subbed, some of the voice actors that we get for dubbed versions make me cringe. The only exceptions to this are probably Dragon Ball voice actors since I grew up with the anime and Goku's voice is terrible in the Japanese version.
    Made by me, if you want one then PM or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zultiner View Post
    I like it subbed, some of the voice actors that we get for dubbed versions make me cringe. The only exceptions to this are probably Dragon Ball voice actors since I grew up with the anime and Goku's voice is terrible in the Japanese version.
    Cowboy Bebop. Samurai Champloo. The English voice acting there is impeccable.

That said, subbed all the way.
    FC: 2234 - 8515 - 1161
    IGN: Nick

Why does everyone like subs? Am I seriously the only person who actually prefers dubs over the original japanese voices?

Yes, I seriously did just say that. From my perspective just as someone who bumps into subbed anime by mistake (As a side note, I have watched some Godzilla movies in subbed form before, just as trial and error, so I know what it's like to watch something in a foreign language with english subtitles) Most Japanese voice actors for female characters sound like 12-year-old girls, where as most characters in english dubbed anime are way more fitting and more mature, both literally and figuratively. But that aside, I for one don't really care that much when it comes to performance in voice acting. So what if the dubbers did a bad job? It's the plot and characters I care about. Long-story short, the only thing I care about in an anime is the anime itself, NOT the outside world that creates it.

If I wanted to READ an anime, I'd go read the original manga. There's a thing for you, subbers! You complain about dubs ruining the originality of an anime, yet the anime itself, dubbed or subbed, doesn't create any concerns for you since 99.9% of all anime is developed from a manga? The manga IS as original as you can get.

Jeez, some things are so mainstream you won't find an opposite anywhere else.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    Why does everyone like subs? Am I seriously the only person who actually prefers dubs over the original japanese voices?
    Because of opinion.

Yes, I seriously did just say that. From my perspective just as someone who bumps into subbed anime by mistake (As a side note, I have watched some Godzilla movies in subbed form before, just as trial and error, so I know what it's like to watch something in a foreign language with english subtitles) Most Japanese voice actors for female characters sound like 12-year-old girls, where as most characters in english dubbed anime are way more fitting and more mature, both literally and figuratively. But that aside, I for one don't really care that much when it comes to performance in voice acting. So what if the dubbers did a bad job? It's the plot and characters I care about. Long-story short, the only thing I care about in an anime is the anime itself, NOT the outside world that creates it.
    Voice acting is like, the biggest part of anime after the animation. We care if it's bad. We don't wanna listen to shitty dubs for 12 episodes just because of a decent story.

There's a thing for you, subbers! You complain about dubs ruining the originality of an anime, yet the anime itself, dubbed or subbed, doesn't create any concerns for you since 99.9% of all anime is developed from a manga? The manga IS as original as you can get.
    Just because the plot came from elsewhere doesn't make the anime any less original. The manga doesn't even have sound.

Have you ever though that people don't want to wait 1-2 years for a dub? Also the fact the most dub anime these days are dubbed by the same few companies so everyone eventually ends up sounding like Goku or Piccolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Because of opinion.
    It was a rhetorical question. Granted, it's opinion and preference, but why does everyone have that opinion? It's so mainstream.

Voice acting is like, the biggest part of anime after the animation. We care if it's bad. We don't wanna listen to shitty dubs for 12 episodes just because of a decent story.
    As I've said, acting does not necessarily matter to me. I'm not expecting Daniel Day-Lewis, I just wanna know what's happening in the anime. The show itself matters the most to me.

Just because the plot came from elsewhere doesn't make the anime any less original. The manga doesn't even have sound.
    They say books are always better than movies, so wouldn't that be similar for anime/manga?

Have you ever though that people don't want to wait 1-2 years for a dub? Also the fact the most dub anime these days are dubbed by the same few companies so everyone eventually ends up sounding like Goku or Piccolo.
    The new season of High School DxD is currently airing. If I wanted to I could go and watch it as as sub, but I'm fine with waiting two years for a dub.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

Am I seriously the only person who actually prefers dubs over the original japanese voices?
    I prefer dubs but I'm okay with either. Don't even remember the last time that I watched a sub though outside of the Anime Network.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I prefer watching anime subbed. I like to hear the original voices & in my opinion, subbed has more emotion. However, some anime are better dubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerdax View Post
    Sound is irrelevant. The writing and the drawings in the manga is what makes it original. Besides, you don't need sound to enjoy reading manga, when you can just imagine your own. One thing about manga is that you can make your own perspective on the what characters should like - but with anime, the voices have already been offered to you. Just use your imagination.
    Sound is relevant when talking about voice acting because the VA is sound.

LOL. Coming from a dub hater, I shouldn't be surprised that you would say something like this.

I'm sure you've seen all dubs to know that everyone has a manly voice like that of Goku or Piccolo.
    I'm not even a dub hater so I don't know where you got that from.

As for the other comment, it was a reference to how much of a monopoly Funimation and 4kids has/had on dub anime.

Oh, and by the way, I have seen or sampled just about all dubbed anime that is readily available so yeah.

They say books are always better than movies, so wouldn't that be similar for anime/manga?
    No, there are quite a few occasions where the anime is superior to the original manga, K-ON! (which coincidentally has a terrible dub) probably being the best example.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

K-On!'s dub is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernikova View Post
    K-On!'s dub is great.
    I'm assuming he meant the Animax dub which is infact terrible.

Wait in K-On dub do they sing in english? Cause i cant imagine how good those songs could be in english

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    Wait in K-On dub do they sing in english? Cause i cant imagine how good those songs could be in english
    Yes, while I wouldn't always say it's a bad thing (God Knows from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)... they're kind of meh here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    I'm assuming he meant the Animax dub which is infact terrible.
    i liked both actually

;-;

i liked both actually

;-;
    What a coincidence, I thought both were terrible.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Dub, especially if it's a dub that I really enjoy like the Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Lucky Star or the K-ON! dubs.

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

K-On!'s dub is great.
    Definitely this.

Hibiki wants hugs

Or color. Sure, they have color spreads every once in a while, but all color is nice. Also, if you're into action manga, the motions are sometimes hard to follow. I refer to the anime in times like this. I prefer subbed only on some anime (Detective Conan, Death Note) there are some where I could go either way (Code Geass, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!) and then there are those I have to watch dubbed (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Dragon Ball Z, Shaman King). Just a choice really.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

Really depends on the anime for me, i prefer hetalia in english, to her the accents and its so much funniner IMO.
    but in some anime (like sailor moon, just an example, usagi or 'serena's' voice SUCKS) i prefer the original voices.
    genrally i prefer dubs :/

Agression, Destruction.
    Meowstic is officially mine!

Credit to SM

It certainly depends for me. There are a few dubbed versions I enjoy (I have a particular fondness for Evangelion's English cast), but for the most part I prefer Anime subbed.
    If there was on dub that should have been fantastic though, it should have been Persona 4 the Animation's, but for some reason the English cast didn't seem to get back into their roles quite as well as the Japanese cast did, and that is probably one of the biggest reasons I think the show is supremely disappointing.

That being said, I don't usually watch anime, I personally prefer manga. The only anime I've chosen over the manga in recent memory are Attack on Titan and Death Note (although I more or less gave up on Death Note about half way through, I watched the finalé just to see a certain someone get killed).
    Last edited by Fox Mulder; 15th September 2013 at 5:01 PM.
    deviantART Profile

Fox's Art: Legendz, Pokémon, and Sherlock artwork - updated 2/6/14

3DSFriend Code: 2921-9102-7855
    Please PM me if you add me, so I can return the favor.

Claims: Favorite Video Game-Persona 4: the Golden
    Favorite Video Game Character-Yu Narukami

Depending on the anime (and if we have it), I will watch dubs first, but for the most part, when I'm looking for anime online, I will typically watch the sub. I'm not particularly picky unless the voices irritate me (like the dub for Infinite Ryvius convinced me to go for the sub when I get around to watching it). I actually have a love-hate thing going on with the dub of Catnapped! because the English voice actress who did Meeko (Sandy Fox, which is funny because she wasn't bad in other roles I've heard her in) pretty much was just shrilling into the microphone nearly every line. She was slightly toned down in the original Japanese, but she still had that annoying tone about her--makes sense, she's the annoying little sister. The movie's dub is otherwise fine (Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Buburina was great).

Most Japanese voice actors for female characters sound like 12-year-old girls, where as most characters in english dubbed anime are way more fitting and more mature, both literally and figuratively.
    It's called "being cute", which is very prominent in Japan. It's also called "cultural and linguistic differences". But interestingly enough, the voices aren't high-pitched like they would've been years ago. So that aspect has at least been dying off.

But that aside, I for one don't really care that much when it comes to performance in voice acting. So what if the dubbers did a bad job? It's the plot and characters I care about. Long-story short, the only thing I care about in an anime is the anime itself, NOT the outside world that creates it.
    I like to point out that as long as the emotions and atmosphere is still there, and the voices don't bother me, I can tolerate it fine. But there is such a thing as bad voice acting, and they can ruin the experience of a show, both dubbed and in the original.

If I wanted to READ an anime, I'd go read the original manga. There's a thing for you, subbers! You complain about dubs ruining the originality of an anime, yet the anime itself, dubbed or subbed, doesn't create any concerns for you since 99.9% of all anime is developed from a manga? The manga IS as original as you can get.
    What an ignorant thing to say. Not all manga can get localized and distributed outside of Japan, and scantrons aren't always that accurate (not that subs aren't always accurate either, but I've noticed it's not that great in scantrons), let-alone complete due to copyright issues or because the translator has a bad schedule or gave up or whatever. And even then, sometimes it doesn't get translated right or it's sloppily done. TokyoPop, despite having good English translations, had a bad habit of leaving some speech bubbles blank and not giving a lot of explanatory notes. But they've since then basically given us the middle finger some years back and lost many of their famous titles, even though other companies such as Viz and Yen Press have been good. Anime at least is more convenient to find even if they have similar issues.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

It usually depends if the dub is really good such as the K-ON! dub then I wont watch anything but the dub but if it makes makes want to shoot myself in the foot such as the Azumanga Daioh dub then it's sub or bust.
    Last edited by Scolipedeluv; 29th September 2013 at 4:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    No, they sing in Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IyItqjCAag
    If someone tells me that the dub of something is terrible then they're probably pretending to be some kind of weeaboo or elitist then I'll watch the dub before the original and 95% of the time I will enjoy the dub better than the sub.
    Last edited by Yoshino; 18th December 2013 at 11:04 AM.

Hibiki wants hugs

Page 103 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104 LastLast