View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

    893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

    465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

    396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

    228 11.50%
Page 101 of 104 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2595

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

  1. #2501
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,122

    Default

    Honestly if you have to keep rewinding subbed anime, then you're doing something wrong. It's actually supposed to incress your reading ability and speed. It's actually help me out a lot through my reading classes/

  2. #2502
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    765 Productions
    Posts
    4,675

    Default

    Yeah, I've never had to rewind because I missed something, I understand some people just aren't fast readers, but there's just not a lot of dialogue you have to read considered the time you usually have to read it before the character starts talking about something else. If you were watching Tatami Galaxy, or a Monogatari, or Zetsubou Sensei, you may have a case, but that's a very small amount of anime.
    My Anime List

        Spoiler:- My Claims:

  3. #2503
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    Yeah, I've never had to rewind because I missed something, I understand some people just aren't fast readers, but there's just not a lot of dialogue you have to read considered the time you usually have to read it before the character starts talking about something else. If you were watching Tatami Galaxy, or a Monogatari, or Zetsubou Sensei, you may have a case, but that's a very small amount of anime.
    I agree with this. The only times I've had to rewind is when I accidentally tune out and miss a big chunk of the plot. Haven't seen Zetsubou Sensei, but I never stopped the video to read the text in Monogatari. If the people watching it on TV couldn't read it, then it's probably not all that important.

    I don't really have any deep seated reasons for watching a lot of anime dubbed. It's a different way to experience the show, I can appreciate some things better in my language and I can pay more attention to the art and directing. However, if a show falls into one of these categories I will probably avoid the dub:

    - Dubbed by Sentai Filmworks (Highschool of the Dead being the exception since it works well as a joke dub)
    - Large cast of moe girls
    - Has Greg Ayres as a lead character (His only good role is in Beck)

  4. #2504
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdax View Post
    You sound like a dub purist.

    The main reason people watch subs is to enjoy listening to the original voices. Sub purists care more about emotion than dialogue. They don't get frustrated over rewinds. It's nice that you're learning some Japanese through anime (and probably using other methods to learn the language), but if you can't stand rewinding a show then stop watching subbed anime.
    Actually, most sub purists can't seem to tell when a Japanese voice actor is forcing a voice, similar to when an English voice actor changes their voice for a cartoonish role. More times than anything, sub purists honestly believe Japanese voice actors aren't faking emotion/a voice and believe they always use their natural voices. It's hilariously delusional.

    Quote Originally Posted by SquadmemberRitsu View Post
    - Dubbed by Sentai Filmworks (Highschool of the Dead being the exception since it works well as a joke dub)
    Persona 4 The Animation had a really good dub.

    Quote Originally Posted by SquadmemberRitsu View Post
    - Has Greg Ayres as a lead character (His only good role is in Beck)
    He did well as Ganta in Deadman Wonderland.

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  5. #2505

    Default

    I prefer subbed, because the dub voices sometimes sound childish, and/or unfit for the character's age.




        Spoiler:- Credits::

    - please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

  6. #2506
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,254

    Default

    You shouldn't have to rewind for a sub. The animation is most anime isn't fluid enough that you have to keep looking back and forth to see what's going on.

  7. #2507
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North east England, IT EXISTS!
    Posts
    553

    Default

    I have an issue with the way the poll is worded. There's other factors to consider as well as the mentioned ones.

  8. #2508
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Actually, most sub purists can't seem to tell when a Japanese voice actor is forcing a voice, similar to when an English voice actor changes their voice for a cartoonish role. More times than anything, sub purists honestly believe Japanese voice actors aren't faking emotion/a voice and believe they always use their natural voices. It's hilariously delusional.
    Since they usually can't speak a god damn word of the language (Apart from kawaii, uguu, tsundere, hentai and desu), they literally have no taste for Jap dubs. So unless it's especially atrocious, all voice acting sounds pretty much the same to them.

    Which brings me to another point. Why do they assume that Japanese dubs are more professional and done with more passion just because the voice actors get paid more? A lot of dub voice actors are anime fans just like us. Because of how low their pay is, the passion has to be there if you want to get into that line of work. Don't believe me? Cristina Vee is noted to be a huge fan of Haruhi Suzumiya and K-On. She even has a Youtube channel filled with anime song covers.

    Persona 4 The Animation had a really good dub.
    That it did. But that was only licensed by Sentai. It was Bang Zoom who did the dub. I'm talking about their in house dubs like Angel Beats, Penguindrum and Clannad.

    He did well as Ganta in Deadman Wonderland.
    I disagree, but don't care to discuss it

  9. #2509
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,312

    Default

    Subbed because they're not subject to the censorship that dubbed versions recieve.

  10. #2510
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    765 Productions
    Posts
    4,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    Subbed because they're not subject to the censorship that dubbed versions recieve.
    Yes they are.
    My Anime List

        Spoiler:- My Claims:

  11. #2511
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    Subbed because they're not subject to the censorship that dubbed versions recieve.
    You clearly know nothing of Japanese censorship laws or the way anime is dubbed nowadays. Your opinion is factually flawed

  12. #2512
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,122

    Default

    Actually it depends. Dubs can be censored due to "inappropriate" references and such depending on who dubs it and where it's released. Subs, or at least fansubs usually don't try to make these references "nation friendly." Also Japan censorship laws are pretty much non-existent outside of pornography.

  13. #2513
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    Subbed because they're not subject to the censorship that dubbed versions recieve.
    "Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in."

  14. #2514
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,312

    Default

    Compared to english versions, there's not nearly as much censorship. Look at classics like Sailor Moon for example. In the Japanese version there were lesbian and transexual main characters. In the English version the lesbian characters became "cousins" and if I remember correctly the transexuals were men in real life but transformed into women when they became sailors. Similarly in Cardcaptors many of the characters were bi and in the manga version some of the characters like light and dark were also lesbians. Although I think with that one there probably was some censorship in the Japanese version because I have the uncut version with subtitles. Regardless, most English versions are very careful about their dubbs because there are many instances where minor acts of voilence are removed like children being spanked etc.

    What is interesting about this is that Japan is very much idealistic where men are expected to be the main bread winners and women are expected to marry young etc, but the anime explores taboo topics like homosexuality which is almost always left out in Western cartoons. Anime also explores the different types of masculinity too which is refreshing to see, tbh. You can agree or disagree, but it won't change the facts. I know what I'm talking about.

  15. #2515
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Actually it depends. Dubs can be censored due to "inappropriate" references and such depending on who dubs it and where it's released. Subs, or at least fansubs usually don't try to make these references "nation friendly." Also Japan censorship laws are pretty much non-existent outside of pornography.
    If it's marketed towards kids it's most likely censored. But even then they might release it uncut on the Blu-ray/DVD releases like they do with Naruto and Dragonball Z. As for the adult shows, US TV bleeps out swearing but the Blu-ray/DVD releases are uncensored. Not a percentage of them, all of them. Hell, Durarara aired on Adult Swim with 'Shizu-chan' and the Otaku couple's dialogue left unaltered. The only thing that got censored was Crispin Freeman's potty mouthed Shizuo which was changed for the DVD release

    English dubbing is pretty faithful nowadays since catering to a larger audience is mostly unecessary now that anime on TV is rare to come by. Sure there's the 5% that have a lot of liberties taken. But when was the last time you watched one of those dubs? I for one haven't seen one of them in years. And I watch English dubs pretty regularly
    Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu; 13th April 2013 at 4:17 AM.

  16. #2516
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Actually it depends. Dubs can be censored due to "inappropriate" references and such depending on who dubs it and where it's released. Subs, or at least fansubs usually don't try to make these references "nation friendly." Also Japan censorship laws are pretty much non-existent outside of pornography.
    Dragon Ball through Dragon Ball GT - Aliens that had less than 5 fingers in the manga were given 5 in the anime (with the exception of the Saibaimen). All the Namekians, Dodoria and even Majin Boo's later forms all had less than 5 fingers in the manga. Also, decapitations were made less graphic and sometimes cut out from plain view. #16's head being smashed in was a lot more gruesome.

    Dragon Ball Kai - No hole in Goku's or Raditz's chests from Piccolo's Makankosappo, no more Vegeta and ReaCoom giving the middle finger, no more showing Freeza bucking Kuririn around after spearing him with his horn and licking the blood as it drips down his face.

    Hunter x Hunter - Quite a number of deaths were altered from the manga, including not showing decapitation.

    One Piece - No middle fingers allowed, either. Luffy stabbing himself in the face as a kid, which caused his scar, was also omitted.

    Another big no no in other anime is showing underage kids smoking or drinking. Which is why we don't see Sanji taking up smoking as a kid, or Yusuke from YuYu Hakusho smoking in the anime.

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  17. #2517
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    Compared to english versions, there's not nearly as much censorship. Look at classics like Sailor Moon for example. In the Japanese version there were lesbian and transexual main characters. In the English version the lesbian characters became "cousins" and if I remember correctly the transexuals were men in real life but transformed into women when they became sailors. Similarly in Cardcaptors many of the characters were bi and in the manga version some of the characters like light and dark were also lesbians. Although I think with that one there probably was some censorship in the Japanese version because I have the uncut version with subtitles. Regardless, most English versions are very careful about their dubbs because there are many instances where minor acts of voilence are removed like children being spanked etc.

    What is interesting about this is that Japan is very much idealistic where men are expected to be the main bread winners and women are expected to marry young etc, but the anime explores taboo topics like homosexuality which is almost always left out in Western cartoons. Anime also explores the different types of masculinity too which is refreshing to see, tbh. You can agree or disagree, but it won't change the facts. I know what I'm talking about.
    90's and 4Kids' dubbing is what you're using as a point of reference for all dubs these days?

  18. #2518
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    765 Productions
    Posts
    4,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Dragon Ball through Dragon Ball GT - Aliens that had less than 5 fingers in the manga were given 5 in the anime (with the exception of the Saibaimen). All the Namekians, Dodoria and even Majin Boo's later forms all had less than 5 fingers in the manga. Also, decapitations were made less graphic and sometimes cut out from plain view. #16's head being smashed in was a lot more gruesome.

    Dragon Ball Kai - No hole in Goku's or Raditz's chests from Piccolo's Makankosappo, no more Vegeta and ReaCoom giving the middle finger, no more showing Freeza bucking Kuririn around after spearing him with his horn and licking the blood as it drips down his face.

    Hunter x Hunter - Quite a number of deaths were altered from the manga, including not showing decapitation.

    One Piece - No middle fingers allowed, either. Luffy stabbing himself in the face as a kid, which caused his scar, was also omitted.

    Another big no no in other anime is showing underage kids smoking or drinking. Which is why we don't see Sanji taking up smoking as a kid, or Yusuke from YuYu Hakusho smoking in the anime.
    Even when the gore itself isn't removed, it'll genereally have something obscuring it, usually in the form of a big black blur across the screen.

    Then of course there's all the ecchi with their white fog obscuring panty and/or breast shots.
    My Anime List

        Spoiler:- My Claims:

  19. #2519
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    Even when the gore itself isn't removed, it'll genereally have something obscuring it, usually in the form of a big black blur across the screen.
    Loss of limbs tends to come to mind. Like with the loss of a hand in Future Diary.

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  20. #2520
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    somewhere...
    Posts
    103

    Default

    subbed!! original seiyuu voices are much better! if you like dubbed better because you don't have to read, shame on you. plus i also know some japanese.
    PM me if you want to battle! i'm always looking for a good battle!

    "strong pokemon. weak pokemon. that is only the selfish perception of people. real trainers try to win with their favorites." - karen

    black 2 national pokedex: 649/649

  21. #2521
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Dragon Ball through Dragon Ball GT - Aliens that had less than 5 fingers in the manga were given 5 in the anime (with the exception of the Saibaimen). All the Namekians, Dodoria and even Majin Boo's later forms all had less than 5 fingers in the manga. Also, decapitations were made less graphic and sometimes cut out from plain view. #16's head being smashed in was a lot more gruesome.

    Dragon Ball Kai - No hole in Goku's or Raditz's chests from Piccolo's Makankosappo, no more Vegeta and ReaCoom giving the middle finger, no more showing Freeza bucking Kuririn around after spearing him with his horn and licking the blood as it drips down his face.

    Hunter x Hunter - Quite a number of deaths were altered from the manga, including not showing decapitation.

    One Piece - No middle fingers allowed, either. Luffy stabbing himself in the face as a kid, which caused his scar, was also omitted.

    Another big no no in other anime is showing underage kids smoking or drinking. Which is why we don't see Sanji taking up smoking as a kid, or Yusuke from YuYu Hakusho smoking in the anime.
    Well, these were changes to the dubbed version right? I meant that fan subbed versions are usually uncut when aired. Of course the US has there own censor laws but they are way harsher than the Japanese. Different cultures and all. I do find the number of fingers change weird, but I don't think that counts as censoring.

  22. #2522
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Well, these were changes to the dubbed version right? I meant that fan subbed versions are usually uncut when aired. Of course the US has there own censor laws but they are way harsher than the Japanese. Different cultures and all. I do find the number of fingers change weird, but I don't think that counts as censoring.
    No. Everything I mentioned was all changed as is in the Japanese version. Plus HxH (2011) doesn't have a dub. And yes, adding fingers is a form of censorship as Japan's reasoning is...odd.

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  23. #2523

    Default

    subbed, because my english is bad

  24. #2524
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    23,263

    Default

    Since when have dubs solely been in English?

    3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

  25. #2525
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I almost always opt for subs. I just find it more enjoyable to listen to the original Japanese VAs. Plus the vast majority of the anime I've watched don't have dubbed versions anyway.

    I always read and am constantly told that Cowboy Beebop is a great example of dubbing done well, but by the time I've finished whatever series I was on I've forgotten that I meant to watch it and end up moving on to something else.
    White 2 FC: 5029-2675-2910

    April 2013 International Challenge (Masters): Rating: 1566 points | Ranked: 1587 of 10164 | W/L: 12/6

    2013 Spring Friendly (Masters): Rating: 1670 points | Ranked: 312 of 6608 | W/L: 24/8

    June 2013 International Challenge (Masters): Rating: 1654 points | Ranked: 511 of 10764 (36th in Europe) | W/L: 23/7 (2 Championship Points)

Page 101 of 104 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •