View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Subbed is better because dub ruins the "original" athmosphere. Japanese is a cool language and I like japanese idioms too, for instance Agumon's "aniki" replique in Digimon Savers. You can fell that this is an "anime" which is made in Japan.
    Black 2 Friend Code: Efe / 0047 0990 1313 White Team: ;503; ;518; ;534; ;618; ;628; ;644;

Depends.
    I'll watch the dub if it's translated well and the voice actors are good.
    I'll go with raw if the seiyuu are better (sub if the translation's good).

Subbed, definitely. Too many dubbing companies have no respect for the original work, and chop it up beyond recognition for their own profit.

There are of course exceptions. Geneon, for example. You can tell they actually put some effort into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Flower View Post
    Subbed, definitely. Too many dubbing companies have no respect for the original work, and chop it up beyond recognition for their own profit.

There are of course exceptions. Geneon, for example. You can tell they actually put some effort into it.
    Name some in this day and age besides 4Kids.

Took about 2 seconds for the page to load. You fail at spamming.

does anyone know if viz does good subtitling?

The Main reason I am asking is because of Bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroX20 View Post
    does anyone know if viz does good subtitling?

The Main reason I am asking is because of Bleach.
    Let's see:

Professional translators who are paid to do their job vs. anime fans with a lot of free time

I'd say Viz's subs will be the best out when they are released.

i prefer subs, the only anime i'll watch with the dub is cowboy bebop because i first watched it in english at a friends house and i've gotten used to it.
    currently playing:
    final fantasy ii. red steel. kid icarus.

Change of view...

Pretty much from now on I'll only be privy to watch an anime in its original language, Japanese, with English subtitles unless I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the English dub is superior to the Japanese dub such as Cowboy Bebop, Golden Boy, FLCL, etc. (the lone exception I suppose is watching the Ghibli films dubbed in English by Disney, which I watch for a reason beyond me). Otherwise, it'll be watching a subtitled version with a language that I have practically no understanding of whatsoever.

in the moment of ultra-light
    when the fire burns black
    & each & every second in the flame
    we divide & sub-divide &
    each time a cell splits off we
    become a new flesh - a new flesh
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

Quote Originally Posted by HellKorn View Post
    Change of view...

Pretty much from now on I'll only be privy to watch an anime in its original language, Japanese, with English subtitles unless I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the English dub is superior to the Japanese dub such as Cowboy Bebop, Golden Boy, FLCL, etc. (the lone exception I suppose is watching the Ghibli films dubbed in English by Disney, which I watch for a reason beyond me). Otherwise, it'll be watching a subtitled version with a language that I have practically no understanding of whatsoever.
    Japanese rulz ~desu!

I like how some people just assume that the jp voice actors are always superior when I'm willing to bet more often than not...they aren't exactly up to par.

(battle franky i LOVE VAA)

I chose "I want to be able to choose either one" because it depends on the anime. Some anime, I would care less. Others NEED to be undubbed to even be worth watching at all.
    I like Cheese. And cheese.
    As in Cheese the almighty chao and cheese, the great-tasting dairy product

I usually tend to watch subbed more than dubbed but I'm willing to give the dub a chance if I have opportunity to listen to it. In all preference, I'd prefer to watch things in English; however, in most cases, the sub is superior in voice to the dub, and thus, I watch more subbed.

I don't watch that much anime, but I must say for what I do watch I prefer the English dub simply because I prefer watching a show in a language I actually understand
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

I mainly like mine in english.

Credit goes to Eroiduelist for the bannar

"Her fate is foretold by the whispers of the trees." - Forest Of Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Alfonso, while I will agree with you on how voices just seem to sound better in Japanese, it could just be because Japanese isn't our native language, we have been using English our entire lives, and we might just easily get attracted to anything foreign. For example, in all these romance comedies I've seen, women seem to adore French. With that in mind, several Japanese might find English very nice-sounding compared to their own language. But I can't know for sure unless some survey was done on a majority of both native English speakers and native Japanese speakers.

um, you do realize that having the arrow go in that direction implies that the dub is better than the sub, right? If you intended the arrows to poin that way, why are you saying the dub is better "in some exceptionally rare cases"?
    Neither english or nihongo is my first language, and the first anime i watched was Ranma 1/2, which was in Malay dub...
    Personally, I say the japanese version (not only sub, but raw) is better.
    I hate how references are americanised (though it would be pointless to include jokes that western audiences dont understand), and the other person who said that the writers would prefer their work in multiple languages, some of the stuff they put in the american dub didnt sprout from them (eg. One Piece heavy censorship). Somethings just cant be translated into English, not just words, but culture. Most dub-only viewers wouldnt understand the nosebleed thing or the sneezing thing.
    Last edited by KyuubiReign; 28th September 2006 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Accidental ??????????? marks.
    Kyuubi no Hontou no Chikara wo Misete aru...

Pokemon are only programmed AI, nothing more. Not EV training, or not breeding for better stats is stupidity.

I accidentally chose sub when I meant the third option...

Typically I like watching the sub more, as the Japanese version is usually better than the English. However, some English dubs are equal to or better than the original, so I like to have a choice as well.

I favour dubs over subs. For those of us handicapped by poor Internet connections and surrounded by exorbitantly priced DVDs, the television is our only gateway. That, plus when one is accustomed to hearing the English instead of the original Japanese...

Gotta stay fly, gotta stay strong, we be ace ready all day long

I'll say it's a 50/50 split for me when it comes to dubs and subs. If the dub is well acted and the dub script follows the orignal than I'll just watch the dub. If the dub is poorly acted or the character voices feel awkard or the dub script has been butchered than I'll watch the sub. For a lot of animes like Cased Closed for example I'll watch both the dub and sub since the scripts are pretty different but both entertaining to watch in their own right.

For the most part, I prefer subs.

Although, like alot of people seem to think, I enjoy watching some dubs.

I was just complaining about the Fruits Basket dub earlier. D:

'Tis horrid.

The voices are waaaaay too heavy for that anime, if you know what I mean.
    Do not stand at my grave and weep;
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glint on snow.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry;
    I am not there, I did not die.

Sorry but I perfer Subtitles. Because in the Dub verison, They don't show funny parts and cut off the good parts. Also I perfer watching the uncut english verison too.
    .::Signature is being remodel::.

When the anime is heavily edited like most of the jobs 4Kids do, I would rather watch the subs. If it isn't then I'm fine with the dub, unless I feel the voices are really bad and don't fit (like the Naruto dub).

I like them dubbed in English,pretty much all the English characters sound better in English anyway (Exept for Rockman EXE/Megaman NT Warrior, Rockman voices sound better)
    I have Pokemon Pearl and Pokemon Battle Revolution

Also: If I don't register you as a friend/answer your PM its because I am very busy so I am very sorry...

I hope you arent basing this opinion all on rockman...
    Kyuubi no Hontou no Chikara wo Misete aru...

Pokemon are only programmed AI, nothing more. Not EV training, or not breeding for better stats is stupidity.

I like subbed anime's better because it helps with my japanese studies.
    Proud Owner of the New Zealand Pokemon Fan Club.

Credit to Apparition for the banner.

Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast